Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: What would you replace Heritage Park Mall with?

1. Default Re: What would you replace Heritage Park Mall with?

I find it amazing that the storm damage at Heritage Park Mall (at El Chico) hasnt' been tended to at all. I was there a couple weeks ago just to see what was still open, and all that was there was a little yellow tape.

OOPPS, hey kid, sorry you got hit in the head with a ceiling beam. Didn't you see the LITTLE YELLOW TAPE?

Could be a good thing, though. The more of an eyesore HPM becomes, the more (hopefully) the city can become involved.

Default Re: What would you replace Heritage Park Mall with?

Dances: be careful some will decried the government telling the property owners how to "enjoy" their property, or how its earning a income...lol

if property owners were responsible then the government wouldnt have to get involved. unfortunately, many property owners are slugs who are all too happy to milk money out of their investments and then leave behind dilapidated eyesores that do nothing but bring down the rest of the community.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Wow evh, i don't think anyone could have come up with a more sterotypical and ABSOLUTELY WRONG evaluation of Midwest City. Thanks for showing how little you know about MWC and promptly speaking out of your butt.

Now, we have an opporunity in Heritage, if someone would just DO IT.

Dillard's is taken by Life Church. BUT we've still got Wards and Service Merchadise that we could get converted into a new theatre. Or even better yet. Bulldoze the middle of the mall...leave the Sears and start over.
    nice suggestion you got there. so i guess when the crowds exit the theatres they can peruse the mall for sales on,..umm...,.uh..lets see here....video games?, handsoap?,dietary supplement pills? or cheap threads at rainbow?. of course, theres always sears in case those other stores dont appeal to them.

Quote Originally Posted by oneforone View Post
    I was in there the other day and I talked to one of the managers. He said
    the company officers were in the store just a few weeks ago, they loved the store and loved the fact they were still cranking out great sales numbers in a dead mall.

I will be really suprised if they ever move that store. They have way too many regulars that like the slow pace and great selection. The low overhead allows them to compete with other retailers in the area.

If you love tools like I do, stop by frequently. I have got some killer deals on cordless drills and tool combo kits on closeout. You have to ask the clerks to help you find them because they are not always marked. Kathy and Debbi always take good care of me every time I am in there.
    mr. witherspoon has been working in appliances for over 25 years, hes a large reason for heritage sears' success in their big ticket items.. white man of tall staure, black haired, father of two, went to school with his son, steven. of course, bombermwc thinks i know diddle bout mwc, so well just let her go on thinking that.

Quote Originally Posted by easternobserver View Post
    if property owners were responsible then the government wouldnt have to get involved. unfortunately, many property owners are slugs who are all too happy to milk money out of their investments and then leave behind dilapidated eyesores that do nothing but bring down the rest of the community.
    I was being sarcastic in my comment.

Quote Originally Posted by evh5150 View Post
    mr. witherspoon has been working in appliances for over 25 years, hes a large reason for heritage sears' success in their big ticket items.. white man of tall staure, black haired, father of two, went to school with his son, steven. of course, bombermwc thinks i know diddle bout mwc, so well just let her go on thinking that.
    Hmmm...we bought our appliances there because Sears had the best quality, best price, closest to our home. I may or may not have met Mr. Witherspoon. lol

Maybe Sears ought to expand its space and its offerings. Doesn't sound much like folks hit the mall for many other reasons anyway.

Its for sale... so maybe something will happen? lol

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Thunder, I'm not sure where you heard that, but it's not true. Wal-Mart wouldn't have been interested...not to mention the fact there isn't and wasn't a parcel for them in that plan. Target has always been the plan because their building was bought by the hospital many years ago. Remember the hospital group is the one that actually built Town Center...not the city. It's money from the sell of MRMC back in the 90's. Target had an understanding and followed through with it...Wal-Mart wasn't involved.

Wal-Mart did, however, have plans on 29th, farther east as oneforone mentioned. There was also supposed to be an Integris hospital built in the same area. That area has been contested over for decades, which is why nothing is developing there and we're stuck with the Frog Pond and the DHS or whatever that is.

Wal-Mart built where it made the most sense...and everyone won. Does MWC really miss Wal-Mart...not really. They more than made up for it in the increase in sale dollars from Town Center compared to the previous taxes on the structures that used to be there.
    MWC still has a Wal-Mart. The store at 23rd and Douglas is in MWC limits.

the MWC line ends just past the Wal-Mart.

Rumor has it that the mall itself has a serious mold problem. It's to the point to where a major renovation will have to take place to get rid of it.

If that is the case, the mall will probably see the wrecking ball as soon as some purchases it.

Not only is it for sale, but the price has been reduced:

LoopNet - Heritage Park Mall For Sale, Regional Center/Mall, 6801 E. Reno, Midwest City, OK

At $3,750,000 or $17.77 per square foot, it may be a better deal as land rather than a structure. This property has been listed on deadmalls.com for years now (Dead Malls dot Com: Feature: Heritage Park Mall: Midwest City, Oklahoma), and to be honest with all of the development south along I-40, and the demise of shopping venues along Reno (Wal-Mart, Target, etc), I don't see this coming back as a retail development.

13. Default Re: What would you replace Heritage Park Mall with?

EV - I'm a he...not a her. And I've never seen that person in Sears. I always buy from one of two ladies in the appliances department. So whether he is ther or not means nothing to me. And I can say that I'm sure one person does NOT sustain a store. Corporations mine data and would see if that were true...close the store....and move him to another one.

And the movie theater idea is a way to start spurring development. Of course it's empty now...a blind person could tell you that. The idea is to come up with something that could bring some life back. But thanks for your helpful comments on the matter. Your insight is so great....uh yeah. Much as your Wal-Mart views....and I know the other one is in MWC, my points were regarding the Del City store. The one on 23rd is a seperate devleopment that was in the works independantly for long before the other one.

Now that we know it's got mold problems, that might be the best thing that we could have ever heard. Like kd said, at $17 sft, it's primed to be demoed....thank goodness. Once it's gone (and remember that doesn't mean that Dillard's or Sears will go because they are not owned by the mall....they are independant stores that are simply connected by a doorway), we stand a chance of something going back in. Or even an empty lot would be better than the half beat up crapfest that is the mall.

Unhappy Re: What would you replace Heritage Park Mall with?

I went to HPM today to get some more soap in a bottle, but Bath and Body Works is gone. Knowing that it was probably the last time that I would ever be in the mall, I walked the length of it. It's funny. I was around when it opened and spent many an evening there when it was standing room only.

Somebody please turn out the lights and lock the doors.

to the guy who said wal mart on 23rd st is too spencer ish......it has a midwest city address...it is a midwest city wal mart.....if you would just drive morth on douglas you would see the spencer city line is halfway down the road north of wal mart....it was built there(and yes they wanted on 29th further east of target) to bring in the crowds from spencer,jones,choctaw,harrah, etc...alot of people travel 23rd on the way to work and home......i know an assistant manager of wal mart...and from what she heard was one reason they built the one in del city was the fact they had had nothing like wal mart or sears or target to bring in more money and they were whining about it.....thats just what i heard.

mr witherspoon ha ha

17. Default Re: What would you replace Heritage Park Mall with?

wayward1, you sure are taking an awfully long time to resize your avatar.

Yes, the WM on 23rd is in MWC, but the person said "feels Spencer-ish"...

You do understand it, right? When I'm out there, it DOES feel like it is a part of Spencer, just because of its close promity and the FEEL of "small town country" out there.

18. Default Re: What would you replace Heritage Park Mall with?

We're still confusing these two projects as part of one origional project....which they weren't. The Wal-Mart on 23rd was conceived as a wallyworld for 23rd. It was never envisioned to replace the old MWC one. They are complete different projects. Del City didn't have anything similar, so they offered the help to get that project done. MWC didn't offer as much help because they weren't focussed on Wal-Mart. They were already getting one on 23rd, and didn't feel they needed to focus on Wal-Mart when Town Center was developing so well. Do they regret it, maybe. The Del City store creates a lot of tax dollars, but I gurantee MWC has netted far more out of Town Center.

You can read further back if you want to see the timeline of each store and how they AREN'T RELATED. And again, a store employee is the last person in the line to know the real story of what goes on...and that's on purpose. Store employees (manager or not) aren't told what's going on...nor do they need to know.

But let's focus back on HPM since that's what the thread is for.

I did notice that they finally removed the hanging pieces of wood on the main entrance. So at least something was done. But now we're down to how many real stores? 2? Really GNC is all that's left and it's only a matter of time before they leave. So we're counting the months now folks. Can we all cross our fingers that once their lease is up, that the place will go?

Check out the layout here. LifeChurch and Sears could EASILY survive as islands if the mall is taken out. Doze the place and start over!!!

whats left inside the mall?

Quote Originally Posted by Jesseda View Post
    whats left inside the mall?
    The other day I recall: A game store, a clothing store, a vitamin store, and a cell phone kiosk. Oh, and the most appealing thing of the whole darn place was the children's play area way down at the Dillard's end of the dark, hot cavernous expanse.

I repeat myself: Please, somebody turn off the lights and lock the doors!

Don't write it off completely. if the folks in another thread are right, some peeps in Crossroads will need a place to go at some point.

I stopped by Crossroads yesterday in search of soap. It's in pretty bad shape as well. At least they had the security guys driving around the lot in their van with the blinky lights and an off duty OCPD officer at the information desk. I was on my way to meeting so I didn't walk the mall, but next time I'll get a better idea of how many boarded up stores they have - sad.

Ikea

I wish the car repair place at the edge of air depot and reno on the outskirts of the mall would move along as well. Nothing against ma-and-pop places like that but after many years with little improvement to provide curb apeal, I think it's time to go. I could easily see a pond being built there with a fountain and a spread of commercial suites behind it. You could also put in at least 20-30 houses on the outer ring facing back into the Cleveland Bailey Elementary School neighborhood. I can envision this so easily if I had the startup capital I would make it happen myself!

You need to "MOVE ALONG".

That car repair /station was there WAY before a mall was there & guess what ,it's still there.

It's not their fault MWC has became a shell of its former self & is now a shooting gallery/ hoodlum fest in that part of town.

MWC should welcome ANY business in that part of town that can somehow stay in business and stay afloat .

No retail outlet is dumb enough to come into that part of town except the 2-bit places like BIG LOTS.

The only reason Aaron's is making it is it's near impossible to shoplift a couch and a TV.

Thread Information