Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: SW 104th and May Avenue Construction???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default SW 104th and May Avenue Construction???

Hi all...

Rumors are swirling in and around our neighborhood that big construction may be pending on the SW corner of SW 104th and May Avenue. Has anyone heard anything in this regard?

There has been speculation about that corner for years, but nothing has ever come of it. They have been surveying the property recently, and quite a bit of work has been done to a small gas or oil property roughly in the middle of it. This corner is immediately adjacent to the Lakeridge housing addition.

Rumors over the years have run the gamut from Target to Wal Mart, but frankly the available land area in that corner doesn't seem large enough to support either of those types of retailers.

Anyone heard anything?

-SoonerDave

Default Re: SW 104th and May Avenue Construction???

i haven't noticed any activity, nor have i heard anything through the grapevine... guess i'm out of the loop. looking at satellite imagery, it looks like that corner has more area than the chatenay shopping center at 104th and penn.

whatever goes in, i sure hope it's better than the cvs parmacy they're putting on 89th and may... talk about a disappointment. -M

The surveryors were crawling all over that area about a month ago, maybe two, and there have been all manner of light trucks going into that wellhead (I assume) in the middle there. I asked the surveyors if they knew what was up, and they didn't - just that they were resurveying the property borders. There has also been some utility work at that SW corner. Only reason I notice it is that I drive by it every day.

Earlywine Boulevard, the "main artery" for Lakeridge, cuts a curved swath from 104th southeasterly toward May. Maybe I'm just not paying close enough attention (wouldn't be the first time), but that area doesn't seem nearly as large as the area Chatenay occupies over on Penn.....but if that's what the pix show...

I wouldn't mind a SuperTarget right there, because Target does a pretty darned good job of keeping their properties well maintained. A Wal Mart, on the other hand, makes me want to puke in my shorts. Their places start deteriorating into slums five minutes after ground is broken.

And, yes, the CVS on 89th and May was a terrific disappointment. I'm not sure I know exactly what I was hoping for, but another pharmacy sure wasn't it.

If you hear of anything going on at 104th and May, lemme know. A few years ago, a Crest Foods was a "done deal" for 104th and May, but never happened; then it moved to a "done deal" at 89th and May, but never happened; then it evaporated into nothing when they built somewhere else entirely.

Land records show the corner to be owned by something called Roaring Fork Association, and the property has been marketed seemingly forever by Blanton Properties....don't know anything about Roaring Fork, except that Journal Record archival info shows them to have bought quite a bit of property on the far north side of town around May and Memorial over the years, which I presume by now has been developed into a variety of retail outlets, restaurants, what have you...

Here's my dream wish for a Barnes and Noble!!!!

Keep your ears and eyes peeled...lots of curious folks in that area hearing rumors.

-SoonerDave

(hey, a guy can dream, can't he )

here's a shot from google maps that has both properties in the field of view. it looks to me that excluding the land on which the well sits, that the property is roughly the same width east and west but is maybe 25% longer north and south.

i'll have to agree here... a target or a crest would be good. a wal-mart or a wal-mart neighborhood market would be unwelcome to me. i'd like to see an additional grocery store go in... if i don't find what i want at the albertson's at 104th and penn, i usually end up going all the way to crest on 12th and eastern in moore... i enjoy cooking and i'd like to have more (and possibly upscale) choices as to where i get groceries. a barnes and noble wouldn't be bad, either... but i wouldn't hold my breath.

-M

Man, that's just shows-ta-go-ya that you just can't trust your instincts (at least I can't) on land size. I would never have thought that area was so large. You could put the GagMart SuperCenter at Santa Fe in that corner with room to spare.

No, I'm not holding my breath on a B&N....just wishing

-SoonerDave

well... i'm pretty sure there's just enough room for a supertarget, but not enough for a wal-mart supercenter... if you catch my drift!

...and yeah, it would be nice to have a finer bookstore on the southside. -M

Absolutely :-)

What was I thinking?

-sd

It's really funny you would mention this. A resident across the street from that location told me it's to be a Super Target or whatever you call those things. Not sure how he knows.

Wouldn't be great if they put in something that didn't make that corner look like every other corner in Strip Mall Oasis, Oklahoma?

This town is about as unique as a slice of white bread.

9. Default Re: SW 104th and May Avenue Construction???

Target would be better suited for the freeway. I-240 would be ideal. My guess is Crest is finally getting smart by building a SW Oklahoma City location.

10. Default Re: SW 104th and May Avenue Construction???

Quote Originally Posted by mranderson View Post
    Target would be better suited for the freeway. I-240 would be ideal. My guess is Crest is finally getting smart by building a SW Oklahoma City location.
    I disagree. The population is moving southward in the Westmoore district. Anywhere along 104th or south would be great for a Crest or SuperTarget. The nearest store for such things you would find at a Target is the Tri-City Walmart Supercenter. For those in far south Oklahoma City, that Walmart is even the closet grocery store. 104th and May or even 119th or 134th and May would be a superb location for a Crest or a SuperTarget. I wouldn't be surprised to see the SW 134th corridor get built up and have their own multitudes of shopping centers with all the upscale neighborhoods being built.

11. Default Re: SW 104th and May Avenue Construction???

Quote Originally Posted by soonerliberal View Post
    I disagree. The population is moving southward in the Westmoore district. Anywhere along 104th or south would be great for a Crest or SuperTarget. The nearest store for such things you would find at a Target is the Tri-City Walmart Supercenter. For those in far south Oklahoma City, that Walmart is even the closet grocery store. 104th and May or even 119th or 134th and May would be a superb location for a Crest or a SuperTarget. I wouldn't be surprised to see the SW 134th corridor get built up and have their own multitudes of shopping centers with all the upscale neighborhoods being built.
    The freeway is higher visibilty. Plus, imagine the difference in patrons between a freeway location and a four lane street. Crest there, yes. Target, no. Bad location.

...and don't forget that may is barely a mile east of i-44, so this location really isn't that far from an interstate. i-240 is already too built up... a development this size would require demolition of existing structures along that corridor. given the choice, i'd bet most companies would build on undeveloped property.

so i paid attention when i drove by after work... the only thing i noticed today were some flags near the traffic light marking existing utilities. -M

Does anyone have the approximate hundred block and is it on May or SW 104th more than likely? Then we can go to the county assessors website and see who the owner is.

14. Default Re: SW 104th and May Avenue Construction???

If it's right on the southwest corner, you'd think it was either 2900 SW 104th or 10501 South May, though neither of these produced any results at the Cleveland County Assessor's Web site, and their vector-graphics viewer doesn't like Firefox 2.0.

Is that Cleveland County? I thought it was Oklahoma County still?

it's cleveland county.... oklahoma county ends at sw 89th. -M

Already checked on the owner. It's Roaring Fork Association, whatever the heck that is. I'm not sure it's an in-state interest.

They own properties along Memorial and May, and have some other odds and ends in town (or at least they did).

SuperTarget at SW 104th and May would be a great location. It would be easy to put up signage to direct traffic off of I-44, and would be a great attraction for people (like our family) that presently find themselves driving all the way to Tri-City for the relatively orderly WalMart there rather than go to the increasingly hideous Wal Mart at Santa Fe and I-240.

I don't think Crest is likely. There were rumors of one going up at this location (104th and S May) about five years ago, but the plans were abandoned when Crest chose to build somewhere else. The only grocery store options within a modest distance are Albertson's @ 104th and Penn, but their prices are ridiculous, and a SmalMart Neighborhood Grocery at 104th and Western, but their selection is pitiful. That's why 104th and May makes a *great* location for a SuperTarget.

I fear the I-240 corridor is becoming overcrowded; however, I think something is up with what used to be the old TG&Y at I-240 and Penn. PetsMart and Burlington bailed out on their locations, with Burlington heading toward the same center that ol Circuit City just vacated @ Shields. Makes me wonder if the owners have other plans for that property in the coming months...but I guess that's a different thread I STILL want a Barnes and Noble!!!

But back to 104th and S. May.....

-SoonerDave

Folks, it's pretty much a done deal. Just go to TAPP Development (Edmond, OK) web site and search through the retail developments. You will see a 196,000sf Super Wal Mart will be opening Winter 2008 at this location. TAPP's web site shows a .pdf with the layout plus some out parcels for Shadow development. I live in Lake Ridge and our HOA has been iniating communications with developer about access, aesthetics, masonry screen walls, etc. And yes, it's plenty big enough... even larger than the site at I-240 & Santa Fe. Construction should begin buy the end of this year. Yes, it makes me puke as well.

My mother lives a few blocks north of 104th off May. She is just going to be thrilled to have a Wal-Mart Supercenter there. Better tell her to move before the property value goes down.

well... consider my day ruined. this really sucks. -M

21. Default Re: SW 104th and May Avenue Construction???

Why would Wal Mart build any facility except possibly a Sams Club that close to another? It makes no sense.

Plus. On occasion (about once or twice a week) I drive past that intersection. On all available corners, the for sale signs are still in place with no indications of the land having been sold.

Is it to late for a community protest?

23. Default Re: SW 104th and May Avenue Construction???

I'm still fairly sceptical of this whole thing. Walmart tends to favor highway locations and the area is fairly well saturated with Walmarts. 2 miles east is a Walmart Neighborhood Market. 7 miles SW is the Tri-City Supercenter. 8 miles SE is the Moore Supercenter. 5 miles NE is the 240 Supercenter. That along with the for sale signs I still see really makes me sceptical...

Check this out and zoom in, you will see it is a Wal-Mart Supercenter.

http://www.tappdevelopment.com/Websi...0dpi104may.pdf

Oklahoma City, SW 104th & May | Tapp Development

I think I'm going to be physically ill.

What a load of filth-ridden, rat-infested, CRAP this is.

I know fighting these things is next to impossible, but for the love of my neighborhood (not to mention my neighbors), I've got to a least figure out how to start somehow...

Absolutely, positively repuslive.

I take heart only in the fact that it is listed as "proposed."

-SoonerDave

Thread Information