Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wichita Mountains

1. Default Re: Wichita Mountains

Edmond-Outsider, I hear and understand what you're saying about rowdies. But, as an example, I sure wouldn't mind a nice swim in Lake Jed Johnson out to the tower/lighthouse thing (at least, I think that's the lake) again. Too much, or too little, control both present problems. But, it's a great area, either way.

Default Re: Wichita Mountains

Yes, it is a great area and I wouldn't mind a little more available area to camp/backpack. Isn't the Charon Gardens area the only place available by permit to camp? Also, if I recall, the permit system is a bit complicated. It's been about 10 years since I did that.

I've always found it funny that "swimming" isn't allowed but "scuba diving" is. How does one scuba dive without swimming?

3. Default Re: Wichita Mountains

Well the backcountry permit process is complicated at all national park properties.

They have 2 developed campgrounds and backcountry camping in Charon's Garden. The north side of the refuge is reserved for the wildlife, although I believe they give occasional ranger tours in that area.

okla doesnt do enough to promote the parks here, few years ago they were but have slacked off recently.

wish the gov would do more to promote them, draw in some out of state visitors .

WOW... i didn't know this forum existed. i was doing a google search on the house
    Extreme Home TV show did in Lawton and came across this site. i grew up in Lawton left in '89 for the big city. reading this thread has brought back some old memories.
    i love the mountains, i'd really like to find some land around there and build my retirement home someday. i visited lawton about a year ago, how depressing. the town just looks old and outdated, seeing all the growth going west was a little refreshing. i'll be watching this forum any news on my hometown.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    Haha I've been there and I agree. Personally, I love the Wichitas and love to show them off to people that are unfamiliar (most people that have grown up here have no idea they exist) and take them to Medicine Park and Meers, but I can't say there's any part of Lawton I'm keen on showing off. It's a pretty depressing town.
    I've lived here for 4 years, worked at Meers. I played stupid about the Wind farm and Medicine Park, unless my customers rode bikes, then I spilled it all. I never understood the Meers attraction. Gas is too high for me to try to work. It's a 35 mile drive, one way, if I want to work.

I could tell you where the buffalo hide, but it's a walk and you won't tip me. Come to think of it, we drive past the buffalo every day. I'm on a first name basis with the bull who saunters down the road. He loves holding up traffic. You honk your horn, and he ignores you. I stick my head out the window and holler, "DUDE!" He moves to the center lane and I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Loudenback View Post

And I've got to do the history and more stuff, too. But the clickable topographic map is done. A single large map is available (5200 x 2750 px, 5.44 MB) but this map is broken up into 18 navagatible segments. The segments are in 2 sizes, 800 x 800 px, and 1000 x 1000 px.
    This is how it looks today

These are some shots from a recent trip to the Wichita Mountains.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/guybowe...7611807177869/

Those are terrific! I hope to go down to the Wichitas when I am home, next month.

When I was a youngster (years before 1956) we lived in Blair. Question: Is there still a (sort of) amusement park in the Wichita Mountain area? In those days there were carnival rides, a swimming area, etc.. Now, I'm not talking about that small spot just before you go farther west and north to the Quartz Mountain area, just north of Blair.

Anyone?

A long time ago a place near Cache called Eagle Park had some amusement park rides, but that place closed some time in the early 1980s.

On Globe Trekker that shows on OETA they did an episode on hiking sites. The Wichita Wildlife Refuge was part of the show.

Bigray in Ok

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby H View Post
    A long time ago a place near Cache called Eagle Park had some amusement park rides, but that place closed some time in the early 1980s.
    Thank you (Bobby H), that was the name for which I was looking. Took me long enough, didn't it?
    Last edited by HotStuff80; 05-31-2012 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Additional comment

14. Default Re: Wichita Mountains

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjzgnWNA

I loved going out to the Wichita Mountains, here is a link and a few preview images of my photo set from there. Greatest camping trip in awhile.

15. Default Re: Wichita Mountains

The museums at Fort Sill are Awesome! Especially the old fort and stocade part. The new museum is state of the art but the old calvery fort is very cool. The best part is that it is totally free.

Quote Originally Posted by mmonroe View Post

I loved going out to the Wichita Mountains, here is a link and a few preview images of my photo set from there. Greatest camping trip in awhile.
    What is the location of the buffalo sculpture and the frisbee golf? Been there a bunch of times and have seen neither but I haven't camped in the public campground in years.

17. Default Re: Wichita Mountains

The Buffalo is at Medicine Park near all of the little shops near the back of the community, the disc golf basket is actually portable, we brought it with us.

Quote Originally Posted by mmonroe View Post
    The Buffalo is at Medicine Park near all of the little shops near the back of the community, the disc golf basket is actually portable, we brought it with us.
    I'll have to go check out the buffalo next time I'm down there. Haven't taken the side trip into Medicine Park in awhile either.

Thread Information