Widgets Magazine

Thread: (East) Indian Food

Default (East) Indian Food

I know a lot of friends of mine are usually skeptical when I tell them this, but Indian food is excellent, and is probably my favorite kind of ethnic food. I think the bright yellows, reds, and greens commonly seen in their cooking kind of scares people away... but what most people may not know is that most of these dishes are made with cream sauces and sometimes blocks of cheese. How can you go wrong with that?

If you decide to give Indian a try, here are some suggestions:

Taj Indian Cuisine (OKC) - Enormous buffet, including both vegetarian and meat dishes. One entire buffet line of Indian desserts. This is an excellent way to try Indian food for the first time.

Gopurram (OKC) - Go on a Friday night and enjoy the Belly Dancers. The Indian food is good too.

Misal of India (Norman) - Slightly different style of Indian. Very toned down compared to some of the places in OKC with a hint of Middle-Eastern influence. I'm guessing this may be the food of Northern India.

MadMonk Guest

Default Re: (East) Indian Food

Indian food is great. Gopurram is my favorite. I've never tried Taj, although I've been meaning to. I'll have to make more of an effort to get there and try it out.

I like Namaste' in Edmond. I'm a little biased though since I'm friends with the owner, but they've had nothing but high reviews. I've had Taj before and its okay.

i've been to taj a few times and like it pretty well... i've been meaning to try misal and gopuram for the longest time.

there's also a place in a shopping center around n. 50th and may (the name escapes me) that i've been meaning to try... anyone been there and care to comment? -M

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    Indian food is great. Gopurram is my favorite. I've never tried Taj, although I've been meaning to. I'll have to make more of an effort to get there and try it out.
    I like Taj because the buffet selection is so big. The last time I went they like had one line of various things, another line of vegetarian dishes, and another line of desserts. They always have the things you would expect (e.g. tikka masala) and they always seem to have a few dishes I've never seen anywhere else.

Also they have a big-screen TV at the front of the restaurant that they play Bollywood music videos on. It just kind of adds to the atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    i've been to taj a few times and like it pretty well... i've been meaning to try misal and gopuram for the longest time.

there's also a place in a shopping center around n. 50th and may (the name escapes me) that i've been meaning to try... anyone been there and care to comment? -M
    Kha Zana is very similar to Gopuram. I've been told that one of the chefs from Gopuram started Kha Zana.

Quote Originally Posted by dismayed View Post
    I think the bright yellows, reds, and greens commonly seen in their cooking kind of scares people away...
    I think that the Curry factor is significant too... At least it was for me. I had to overcome my aversion to Curry before I enjoyed Indian. A friend took me to Indian while we were in Canada and I didn't like it at all. A year or so later, during one of my first visits to New York City, I was walking around Midtown one evening looking for a place to eat. I came across this delicious smell and it led me to a fine Indian restaurant, the Bhukari Grill. I was hooked: I ended up stuffing myself on all sorts of spicy dishes, all of them absolutely mouth-watering. I really overdid it. I managed to waddle to a Pub near my hotel, and, foolishly, I downed a few pints of Stout. I soon realized that Indian and Stouts don't mix well, stumbled back to my hotel, sick as a dog, and slept the night away, hoping to recover before morning so that I could see the sights. This was May of '01. Before getting sick my plan had been to visit the World Trade Center restaurant/observation deck (forget which tower) later that evening. Of course I never made it. The next time I was in Manhattan it was to attend the first anniversary of the attacks...

If you decide to give Indian a try, here are some suggestions:
    Can't go wrong with any of your recommendations.

Misal of India (Norman) - Slightly different style of Indian. Very toned down compared to some of the places in OKC with a hint of Middle-Eastern influence. I'm guessing this may be the food of Northern India.
    Is this the one in the strip mall West of I35, just down from the Marble Slab and the "Souper/Salad"? Or is that a satellite of the primary location? Either way, I really like it. Not sure what you mean by 'toned down': it is mellower, quieter, and less flashy than some other Indian joints I've been too. I enjoyed the atmosphere, and the polite, pretty, and very attentive waitress.

kha zana... yep, that's what its name was. i'll have to give that place a try sometime, too. thanks! -M

9. Default Re: (East) Indian Food

When I've been to Gopurrum, i've always been a little dissapointed. The buffet is pretty small and doesn't reflect in the price. It's expensive for what you can choose from...I guess you pay for the decor.

Shishkabob is good too, but sort of the same problem where the price isn't justified. I don't think its actually Indian, but it's still yummy. And the folks that work there (especially the wife), amazing super great nice people. I love being able to talk to them while I'm there.

10. Default Re: (East) Indian Food

There's some great choices here! I was just thinking about Indian food the other day, and I'm glad I caught this.

I was thinking about putting together a small group of friends to go out and eat, and now we have some options to play with.....mmm, I'm STARVING right now as it is!

Quote Originally Posted by HFK View Post
    Is this the one in the strip mall West of I35, just down from the Marble Slab and the "Souper/Salad"? Or is that a satellite of the primary location? Either way, I really like it. Not sure what you mean by 'toned down': it is mellower, quieter, and less flashy than some other Indian joints I've been too. I enjoyed the atmosphere, and the polite, pretty, and very attentive waitress.
    Yep, that's the one. When I called it toned-down I was talking about the spices. It seems like their food I never really get an overpowering curry flavor from.

Ajanta Cuisine of India gets my vote. I am not sure if its still there though. 11921 N Pennsylvania Ave

Shishkabab is Persian food...very good. Taj ihas my vote for best in OKC, although the atmosphere isn't as good as Gopuram, the food is head and shoulders better.

Steer clear of Kha Zana...I LOVE indian food and could barely eat it. It's just sub par compared to the others.

I had to jump in even though this is an old topic, but Indian food is also my favorite ethnic food. Unfortunately all this restaurants i've tried in okc weren't very good (Gopaurum :P, Taj :/, Ajante :/, Namaste :/, Kha Zanna :/, ) i guess of all the indian food i've tried Namaste/Taj is the closest to being okay. Just not enough spices, food is generally bland, and some of the restaurants tend to keep their food out too long. I heard there a couple in Norman that i haven't tried. Anyone tried those? I think one is the Himalayas...

I love Misals. I loved it more when it was in Campus Corner but it is still one of my favorite places.

16. Default Re: (East) Indian Food

Ok, my parents are from India, and I have eaten at over 500 indian restaurants, I just had to chime in. In Oklahoma City, the best indian food by far, is Gopuram. They are the original, and also the best. The quality of their food far surpasses any other indian restaurant in the area, and it shows in their prices as well. Yes they are a bit more expensive, but it is well worth it. Having eaten at all 6 or so indian restaurants in the area, the only other one I occasionally go to is Taj, and that is because he fixes some things gopuram doesn't. His food is decent.

hmm... i dont know if i would say by far... they are all mediocre at best... i'm sure someones taste would make one of the places slightly better, but there is no "by far" okc unfortunately...

have to try misal though in norman... i dont usually get out there because i live in yukon, but there are now two more i kind of would like to try...

When I first found Misals in about 1993 it was in a little hole-in-the-wall spot at Campus Corner. It was a tiny little place. The people who worked there were all international students and everyone just outstanding. I'm not certain there were any from India though. Once the manager came over with a little tray of all their spices and explained each one. We knew everyone by name over time.

Since they've moved to the more upscale quarthers on Ed Noble it is not nearly as intimate. And I haven't been able to go as often. It isn't really the same anymore.

But it always will be my standard for Indian food and of course none will ever quite measure up.

Quote Originally Posted by Clock4869 View Post
    hmm... i dont know if i would say by far... they are all mediocre at best... i'm sure someones taste would make one of the places slightly better, but there is no "by far" okc unfortunately...

have to try misal though in norman... i dont usually get out there because i live in yukon, but there are now two more i kind of would like to try...

Not to be a snark (ok - to exactly be a snark), can you tell us exactly what your level of expertise on the subject is.

Frankly, Centennial's experience and life history lend a great deal more credance to his being able to be a judge on the matter. I would always trust a native's judgment on something like this more than I would someone who doesn't necessarily have a true basis of comparison.

Misal's owner's from Karachi, Pakistan so that explains some of the difference between it and the other Indian restaurants. Misal seems to use much less ghee (clarified butter) than some other Indian restaurants so it feels healthier. Also, always look at the specials, their molai kofta, cod curry and tuna kebabs are AMAZING.

Himalayas which just opened in Norman was opened by a man who worked at Gopuram for many years-- balding with a ponytail for those who would know. I've been a few times and the buffet is real hit or miss, maybe depends on who's in the kitchen.

Gopuram is my favorite buffet around and I always finish with mango custard spooned over soft serve ice cream. Perfect. I love Taj too, but Gopuram's hits are the best Indian I've had and I've lived in NY and LA.

haha... well if it helps i'm indian too... hopefully no one thought i was being critical of their taste by the way... to each his/her own... i personally don't think any of them are that great here... i like taj because of the wide selection.. but it seems that the food (at all the places) is left out too long and so the taste of the meat or vegetable dishes is not so great... namaste is also not bad… (smaller selection though, but nicer ambience)

with all that said i dont know if a person of a specific ethnic background can be the ultimate authority on their cultures food... i grew up with indian food, but i enjoy all types of food... there's something to be said for quality and taste like i'm sure all would agree and so that makes anyones food experience/taste just as valuable as anyone elses...

granted if you were only going to try a particular type of food once in your life then it makes sense to trust a knowledgeable person, but you have to realize you are subject to someone elses tastes and preferences… for example I hated sushi when I first tried it, but I tried it a couple of times after that and now love it…

see all that without a hint of snarkiness!

Where is Himalayas located at?

The best Indian food I've had in Oklahoma, or probably anywhere, was home made. A few years ago an Indian friend of mine and his wife invited me over for dinner because they knew I really loved the food. When I got there I felt so bad -- his wife had been working literally all day on what can only be described as a feast. It was some of the hottest Indian food I have ever tasted in my life. I thought might tongue might spontaneously combust. The ironic thing was after dinner we got to talking and they had toned down the spices considerably from what they prefer, but I was happy to find out that what they gave me was still in the true 'Indian range' of heat. I remember them saying they liked to occasionally go out to Gopuram or Ajanta, but that to them it basically tasted like bland fast food!

hey dismayed i actually found someone that sells indian/pakastani food that he cooks himself...(well it's a joint thing.. him and his wife) i found a little advertisement for their business at a indian grocery store.. if you're interested i can get you there number.. but that is truly excellent food.. i asked for it to be spicy.. and WOW! it was great! better than my mom and that's hard!!!

anyway if you want the number just PM me and i can go try to find it

24. Default Re: (East) Indian Food

I went to Himalaya in Norman this last week. Good stuff there for sure. I've been told that the buffet there is MUCH larger than Misal, but Ive never been to Misal.

Its on Robinson and Berry just south of Robinson on the west side of the road.

Thread Information