Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Asian (Non-Japanese) Restaraunt?

Default Best Asian (Non-Japanese) Restaraunt?

So we've talked about Japanese restaurants... but what about Asian restaurants in general. What's your favorite? Here are some of mine:

Grand House Chinese (OKC) - Go on the weekend and try the Dim Sum. No buffet.

Cafe de Taipei (Edmond) - They serve bubble tea! Also, the squid fried rice is awesome. No buffet.

Golden Palace (OKC and MWC) - Very large buffet. Also, they have a Vietnamese soup line that you can go through and make your own soup, as well as several fresh Vietnamese delicacies. Finally, they have a Mongolian BBQ line (e.g. you pick out all the raw vegetables and meats you want, bring them up to the front, and they cook it on the spot for you to your spiciness specifications). Excellent.

Hong Thai (MWC) - Extremely hot, good Thai food. Very reasonable price. No buffet.

Pho Hoa (OKC) - Vietnamese noodle soups. Sooo gooood.

It was my favorite, and it is no longer in business...

China Court (OKC on Memorial). I'm guessing PF Chang's ran them out of business. It's a shame, the food was great and at one time I went there so much I actually got to know the hostess (mom of many of those working there). A very sweet lady. In fact if anyone has info on what happened I'd love to know.

MadMonk Guest

Default Re: Best Asian (Non-Japanese) Restaraunt?

I give Golden Palace's Mongolian BBQ a big thumbs up too. I also like Kim Wah over on Britton for their Vermicelli Noodles. Mmmmm...

3. Default Re: Best Asian (Non-Japanese) Restaraunt?

Seconds on Grand House and Golden Palace. I'll also give a shout out to Dot Wo for Chinese (at least the south location) and Pho 89.
    Continue the Renaissance

I like China Chef in the Underground in downtown OKC. It's quality meat and no mystery meat. That's a big plus IMO.

metro...hey I finally agree with you on something!!!

China Chef is awesome...Ate there weekly when I worked in the Chase Tower...Great egg rolls as well

we used to go to golden palace on around 50th & shartel all the time for their mongolian barbecue... i never liked their buffet much, but the mongolian barbecue used to be pretty good. they changed cooks, though and he makes more of (what we call) a 'mongolian soup' than a stir fry... i don't think the guy speaks a lick of english, 'cause no matter what we'd tell him to do, he does it the same way... water the whole thing down with tons of chicken broth. so... we don't go much anymore. -M

7. Default Re: Best Asian (Non-Japanese) Restaraunt?

Ledo, just north of 23rd Street, off of Classen. Look for the Braums Milk can and you will know you are close.

Pho Saigon and Thai House.

9. Default Re: Best Asian (Non-Japanese) Restaraunt?

The little Thai place (don't know the name) between Britton & Hefner on May, very good food the Tofu Pad Thai is very good. Lai Thai has no mystery meat, they're in Bethany on 23rd, no buffet

I had forgotten about some of the places you guys listed. I guess we all know where to find good chinese food.

Tay Ho, Grand House, Lang's Bakery.

12. Default Re: Best Asian (Non-Japanese) Restaraunt?

I disagree with dismayed over the China Court that used to be next to Red Lobster on Memorial.

I took my girlfriend to eat there once. We were really excited to try it out, but despite the fun atmosphere decor-wise, the place was EMPTY.

Also, the food was okay, but WAY overpriced in comparison to portions I've had at better-tasting restaurants.

I wasn't surprised when it finally closed. Heck, the 'Chinese Buffet' inside Quail Springs Mall is better...and always a treat I might add!

PHO Thai Nyugan
    3221 N Classen Blvd
    Oklahoma City, OK 73118
    (405) 525-7373

SOOOOOO good!! everything is so good!! i love the seafood crispy noodles!!!

China Coast was what was originally in the China Court/Baker St spot. It was run by Darden (and I believe Disney had a hand in there, also). Great while it lasted.

Mr. Pho is one of my favorite asian places in the city.

Sala Thai across from OCU is great!

Lido by the milk can is also very good.....

Asian Zing @ BW3

17. Default Re: Best Asian (Non-Japanese) Restaraunt?

I agree on Pho Hoa -- so very good. Also on Sala Thai and I also like Thai Kitchen a lot of Thai food. Grand House is good, especially for Dim Sum, though a little pricier than the other options.

Dot Wo about NW 30/Portland is always a good choice. A friend just went there and confirmed it is still good.

There is one at NW 27/Classen called the Golden Phoenix (think that is right) around the corner from the Chinese Grocery store. It is very good. Pretty authentic and I have never been dissappointed.

For a great vietnamese sandwich try getting one at the Milk Bottle near NW 24/Classen. Very cheap and very good. My son lived on them while in school and on a tight budget.

There is a food area in Cao Nguyen SuperMarket at NW 27/Western. It is pretty good and also has sushi. I have friends that swear by it and it is very

reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by eataroundokc.com View Post
    I agree on Pho Hoa -- so very good. Also on Sala Thai and I also like Thai Kitchen a lot of Thai food. Grand House is good, especially for Dim Sum, though a little pricier than the other options.
    I know that some may not like it, but try the Egg Pho Yung (probably spelled badly!) at Grand House is always good and very fresh. It is large enough to split!

For a great vietnamese sandwich try getting one at the Milk Bottle near NW 24/Classen. Very cheap and very good. My son lived on them while in school and on a tight budget.
    The "milk bottle" place is called Saigon Baguette. It's Vietnamese sandwiches. They get their bread fresh from La Baguette. Also bring cash, it's cash only.

Thanks, Metro...I could not for the life of me remember
    the name of the sandwich shop!

dismayed- Hong Thai closed down! It's a shame because I really enjoyed that place.

My recommendation is Thai Garden on south western, next to El Chico and across from Sears. VERY good, authentic thai food. The owner is very social and personal to all her customers. The food, I can honestly say, is the spiciest thai i've eaten in the metro!

I ate lunch at Thai Garden today and enjoyed the food very much. I had one of the lunch specials but I forgot the name already - one of the 2 asterik dishes. It was pleasingly spicy. Definitely would go again.

I like Panang's (at 90th and South Penn) lunch special better because of the variety I can select in making my own combination.

I had heard that Hong Thai closed down... a real shame. The owner had said that he was not able to expand the kitchen the way he had hoped. Maybe he'll reopen in a larger location... we can only hope.

25. Default Re: Best Asian (Non-Japanese) Restaraunt?

One of the writers on my site just posted a review of Thai Palace in Edmond. I haven't been there, but his review and others I've seen are very favorable of it. Evidentally, the guy who used to own Sala Thai runs it pretty much as a one man show. Here the link if you're interested:

Thai Palace: a diamond hidden in the strip mall rough. | Oklahoma City Restaurants

Thread Information