Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bricktown Brewery

Default Bricktown Brewery - What's new

I understand the owners of Coach's took over the Brewery May 1 or June 1. Who's been and what's it like? Is it Coach's line-up of brews or something different?

2. Default Re: Bricktown Brewery - What's new

I don't know, but I tried a couple of different brews from the Brewery on several occasions, and never found a decent one.

Coach's, on the other hand, has some GREAT beers.

/salivating.

Default Bricktown Brewery

Well, I ate here again with my wife and nephew this past weekend. It definitely isn't my favorite place to go but it had been a few months (the week they changed owners) since we'd been before. I wanted to give it a few months to let the new ownership get the new kinks out, etc. I must say I'm not impressed and they've definitely taken it down a notch if that's even possible.

The place is still campfire smokey smelling and you still leave there with the campfire smell. They sat us at a table for two in the main entryway area (mind you we had a 2 year old with us). Our table was directly below a big hole in the 2nd story where I guess they are remodeling. They had the hole partially covered up with plywood but you could see dust hanging from it etc. Not exactly a great place to seat people at all.

The decor had been mostly unchanged, except the benches had been recovered with a southwest fabric instead of the previous dark purple velvet. The southwest look didn't really fit the place or Bricktown for that matter. The food was decent I suppose. The new owners have really slimmed down the menu and only offer about 3 types of BBQ meat now. I ended up with the Bricktown nachos which were actually pretty good. The salsa was wayyyyyyyy too spicy, and I like very spicy things. Not sure how your average person could tolerate it. My wife had the chicken fingers and fried okra. It was good but it had no flavor whatsoever without putting some salt and pepper on it.

My nephew got mac and cheese and potato wedges. I wasn't very happy about the kids menu. Very non-healthy with no healthy choices/alternatives. I don't think a kid needs mac and cheese and fried potato wedges (both starchy carbs) and it comes with Oreo's. I was very disappointed in their kids menu. No wonder Oklahoma kids rank some of the poorest in health!!

On the bright side, if you have a CityCard which we do (and I highly recommend). Their adult entree's are buy one get one free!

I probably won't be patronizing the Bricktown Brewery again. There is no longer a reason to go there. Service was pretty poor, food average, price average, food selection poor. Without them having decent band lineups again, makes no sense for me to return.

Default Re: Bricktown Brewery

Metro I concur. I was taken there by someone from out of town for dinner Saturday night. I really didn't want to go in the first place but I usually allow the guest to pick the spot. The food was eh, the service was eh, and it did seem a bit dirty. They were having a reunion upstairs and every one of them were complaining about going up and down the stairs to smoke and that they couldn't believe they booked a place without music. Although they were busy, I think a lot of people there felt the same way. I know I will not be going back unless something miraculous happens.

It's not a bad place to go if you want to drink beer and shoot pool. For that, either the Wormy Dog (fewer tables though) or the Brewery are great. I like it because it's the cheapest beer in the Brick and you can generally have a pretty good time upstairs for not a lot of money. I don't do the whole City Walk scene (I'm more of a Purple Bar/Mickey Mantle's sort of person), so this isn't a horrible place at all.

The food is nothing special, but it's a Brewery, not a gourmet kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    It's not a bad place to go if you want to drink beer and shoot pool. For that, either the Wormy Dog (fewer tables though) or the Brewery are great. I like it because it's the cheapest beer in the Brick and you can generally have a pretty good time upstairs for not a lot of money. I don't do the whole City Walk scene (I'm more of a Purple Bar/Mickey Mantle's sort of person), so this isn't a horrible place at all.

The food is nothing special, but it's a Brewery, not a gourmet kitchen.
    Have you been there in a while? There is no longer an upstairs. That's my point. It's nothing special anymore. I can go anywhere for cheaper mediocre food.

I was going to say Mid, the upstairs is now a banquet room. I thought they got rid of the pool tables, music, etc.

Yes, the upstairs was the only reason I ever went there.

It was a great place to meet friends or organize groups because there was plenty of space, a huge bar and music late. They had several banquet rooms as well that never seemed very busy, so I'm not sure why they decided to change everything around.

I went there tonight and the place just has a bad smell to it. It smells like the floor has had alot of beer spilt on it and they just haven't done a good job mopping.

The food is just your standard fried food. Nothing special or unique with this place at all.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    I was going to say Mid, the upstairs is now a banquet room. I thought they got rid of the pool tables, music, etc.
    Saw a little clip of Mrs Edwards speaking upstairs at the Brewery and it appears the pool tables are intact

Oh boy

11. Default Re: Bricktown Brewery

I have to agree with the above. Although I wasn't there physically, my hubby took a co-worker out to dinner and asked if I wanted him to bring me something.. never one to turn down food, I asked him to order the catfish.

When he came home, I was so surprised when I opened the container... I thought he had brought me his leftovers because the portions were so small! I'm used to huge pieces of catfish, tons of curly fries (I had planned to share them with the kids.. that's usually how much they give and we always have a lot left over). But no, this is what they put in a to go box.. approx 6 fries.... no more curly fries.. soggy, thick potato wedges yuk and fried okra ( like Metro said, no flavor whatsoever) and a few pieces of catfish ( which made me nauseated in the middle of the night - pretty greasy) he told me catfish wasn't on the menu anymore and they happened to have some because so many people had complained. That's one of the reasons we went there to begin with!

I realize take out is never as good as eating it piping hot at the table but still.. I was really disappointed in the portion size, quality, and taste. What a bummer, I used to love to go there.

On a good note, hubby says the beer tastes better now.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

I went there last night with some friends who were in from chicago. Overall the staff was decent but the food was lacking. Two guys got chicken fried steaks and they both said they had better and worse, my girlfriend and another girl got chicken strips and they didnt finish either of theirs and complained about how bland it was. I got a chili cheese burger and it was pretty bland too.

But on a good note we went out looking for bar food after the game and we got bar food. -but a little salt and pepper would go a long ways.

On a more positive note everyone really liked the beers that they brew in house.

13. Default Re: Bricktown Brewery

It's really sad that they couldn't have kept the old menu.. I mean it was working for them... at least everytime we went the place was extremely packed ... last night, at dinnertime the place was pretty empty according to my husband.

I hope they get the hint and try to bring back some of the things that made them so popular... the seasoned curly fries and the catfish are two things I would like to be returned in their original recipes.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

UPDATE.....

The Brewery for whatever reason has slowly added music back upstairs. They started out having Aaron Newman play a few acoustic sets then added a few other local acoustic shows, including Aranda. These have been free so far. This Friday they are bringing full bands back upstairs, starting with Lemma. Not sure if there will be a cover or not. Shouldn't be.

OU game will of course be on the big screens upstairs beforehand. If you go, stick around and show them we want live music back.

I will be there for sure.

Well they decided once again to can live music. The atmosphere up there was weird anyway. All those banquet tables and no stage...weird. It's still sad - great location and space.

Years ago, when I used to perform at Comedy Corner in Bricktown I had joke involving the Bricktown Brewery. At the time the Bricktown Brewery was owned and managed by a guy named Jester and basically the joke revolved around the old idea that your name was based on your trade -like the baker was someone named Baker, and the guy refining your wheat was named Miller, etc, etc.

My comment was that this situation was ALMOST true in Bricktown. The Comedy Corner comedy club was owned by Shirley Bynam but I punned her name to where it sounded like Bind-em.

So here's the joke: "Bricktown is almost like 'your name is your trade' except it's one business off. For instance the person in the book binding business is named Singer which would be a great name if you owned a karaoke bar but the owner of the karaoke bar is named Brewer (Jim) which would be a great name if you owned the Bricktown Brewery but the owner of the Brewery is named Jester, which would be a great name if you owned a comedy club but the owner of the comedy club is named Bind-em, which if you were in the book binding business..."

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Silliman View Post
    Years ago, when I used to perform at Comedy Corner in Bricktown I had joke involving the Bricktown Brewery. At the time the Bricktown Brewery was owned and managed by a guy named Jester and basically the joke revolved around the old idea that your name was based on your trade -like the baker was someone named Baker, and the guy refining your wheat was named Miller, etc, etc.

My comment was that this situation was ALMOST true in Bricktown. The Comedy Corner comedy club was owned by Shirley Bynam but I punned her name to where it sounded like Bind-em.

So here's the joke: "Bricktown is almost like 'your name is your trade' except it's one business off. For instance the person in the book binding business is named Singer which would be a great name if you owned a karaoke bar but the owner of the karaoke bar is named Brewer (Jim) which would be a great name if you owned the Bricktown Brewery but the owner of the Brewery is named Jester, which would be a great name if you owned a comedy club but the owner of the comedy club is named Bind-em, which if you were in the book binding business..."
    So is your joke why the Comedy Club closed down?

I kid, I kid......

18. Default Re: Bricktown Brewery

ouch

Bricktown3 Bricktown Brewery 2

[template=]
    development
    |category1=Bricktown
    |category2=Restaurants
    |category3=Bars
    |category4=Restaurant Buildings
    |
    |project=
    |address=29 E. Sheridan
    |status=
    |owner=
    |cost=
    |architect=
    |start=
    |finish= 1920
    |contractor=
    |height= 2 stories
    |sq. feet= 13,000
    |acerage= .2011
    |other=
    |
    |image=
    |
    [/template]
    Information & Latest News

OKLAHOMA CITY – The building that houses the Bricktown Brewery has sold for $1.2 million to a group of investors led by Jimmy’s Egg restaurant chain founder Loc Van Le.

http://journalrecord.com/2011/03/22/...m-real-estate/
    Links

County Assessor Record
    Website
    Gallery

Default Re: Bricktown Brewery Sold for $1.2M

Very interesting...Wonder how this will play out

I guess they could take the 2nd floor but they might as well use it all for something else since the brewery is just a shell of what it used to be

Yeah. There's no point in it remaining in its current state.

There food is still pretty good, but interested to see what they'll do.

Honestly the food was never that great in the last year I went there. You can get a burger and fries anywhere. Or chicken strips or whatever typical bar food you want. Coach's is better and cheaper honestly. They took out anything noteworthy about their business model and turned it into another bland Bricktown restaurant because they were more interested in chasing catering dollars. I went to a few political watch parties and fundraiser events upstairs and honestly, there are many better catering venues..

The Brewery is staying and the new owners are going to renovate the building and restaurant interior.

Here's hoping they bring back the live music.

Was thinking more about it, and honestly, Jimmy's Egg has better food than the Brewery (and so cheap!).

Thread Information