Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dan McGuiness Irish Pub in Moore

Default Dan McGuiness Irish Pub in Moore

Went there last night and have to say I was pretty impressed...It has a restaurant side separate from the bar so families can go there just to eat...Was wondering why they had a child's menu on their website!

Large bar area and had a good selection of draught beers and the food was excellent....Had beef medallions cooked in Guiness beer with great mashed potatoes and cole slaw....Definitely not your typical bar food

Finally a real bar in Moore

Default Re: Dan McGuiness Irish Pub in Moore

Drove by on my way home, rolled eyes at name... "Dan" as in "Danny Boy", 'Mc" as in, well, you know, and "Guiness" as in "Guinness", minus an 'n' (potential licensing issue?). Just for insurance, for those that miss the less than subtle Irish references, they tag on "Irish". I was surprised that "Authentic" didn't make it into the name...

But I suppose that beggars can't be choosers... Based on your review, I'll have to check it out. Thanks for letting us know that the place is better than it's name.

3. Default Re: Dan McGuiness Irish Pub in Moore

Actually they do spell it McGuinness.
    It's a nice place.

Guess you are right HFK ....Pretty lame name now that I think of it

Either way definitely try it out

5. Default Re: Dan McGuiness Irish Pub in Moore

coming from a south sider from the north anything is a good thing

I've been in several times now. The service has been great all but one time. The staff is really trying hard to make it a place where folks want to become "regulars".
    Food is good. The Fish and Chips is very good. Shepard's Pie is a bit bland but it normally is a bland dish. The Scotch Eggs are good.

One of their special drinks is the "Snakebite". Half Guinness Ale and half hard cider.
    Not for the timid.

You can take kids into the bar section until about 8:30. My kids are mid-teens so we drop in and get a bit to eat, a brew for me and watch the game. Bar area is well ventilated so the smoking isn't a problem.

Where is this, exactly? I meant to go this afternoon, but wasn't able to find it...

It is on SW 19th in Moore...Go West past Walmart on 19th and it is on the north side of the street in a strip center directly across from the golf course

Oh, I thought it was around in that general area, but I just assumed it was in the Riverwalk plaza. I looked for it in there, but couldn't find it, so we just went to Berkley's instead (which, BTW, was very mediocre, and extremely empty for lunch time).

Thanks.

10. Default Re: Dan McGuiness Irish Pub in Moore

I WILL NOT READ ANY POSTS ABOUT THIS PLACE, but i will tell you i grew up on the southside and this is what we need, something a little bit above the cross eyed, never been to dans but from what i hear this is what we need so keep it up i will be there in a few

Stopped in here Sunday for lunch - the food was great! Each booth in the restaurant section has its own little flat screen TV.

12. Default Re: Dan McGuiness Irish Pub in Moore

I ate lunch in there this afternoon, had the "Irish Stew".

It was pretty damn good, as was the tasty Amber I was sipping on as well. REALLY good for bar food.

There was a LOT of it too...I'm stuffed.

I talked to the owner of the Pub when they had just started to build. He showed me some of the furnishing they had shipped in from Tennessee such as the drop leaf tables, some of the light fixtures and the bar. Apparently they are quite old and certainly quite beautiful. I have not gone in there since it opened but I have heard nothing but good from everyone who has.

Every single person I have brought there has loved it...If you are a sausage fan the bangers and mash is the best meal in the place

Wish they had a better selection of beers ala Old Chicago...If they did the place would be completely perfect...Great having it a 1/2 mile away!

15. Default Re: Dan McGuiness Irish Pub in Moore

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    Every single person I have brought there has loved it...If you are a sausage fan the bangers and mash is the best meal in the place

Wish they had a better selection of beers ala Old Chicago...If they did the place would be completely perfect...Great having it a 1/2 mile away!
    I was VERY close to ordering that, but the stew won out at the last second. I'll have to try it next time.

And after living in San Diego for 7 years, Denver for a few after that, then moving back here...99% of every place here has a crappy beer selection. Tapwerks and Old Chicago are about it for decent selections as far as I know.

I think im going to try and hit this place up this weekend, it sounds pretty awesome. Ive driven by it a few times just never actually decided to go in.

I didn't used to pass through Moore real often, but now that I do, I gotta admit, that stew sounds like it's worth a stop

Just got back from McGuinness....Beef McGuinness still rules...They have slowed down considerably from their opening which is completely understandable...Great food as always

Need to increase their beers on tap and turn off that annoying Irish music to make it even better

19. Default Re: Dan McGuiness Irish Pub in Moore

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    I didn't used to pass through Moore real often, but now that I do, I gotta admit, that stew sounds like it's worth a stop
    Seriously...it looks like something the cat left in the corner. But it's one of the better meals I've eaten recently. Evidently...Lamb does well in stew.

I don't really see an issue with the beers that they have on tap. It's an American-ized Irish Pub attempting to resemble an authentic Irish pub. From what I understand, typical pubs in Ireland usually only have a few beers on tap, typically one stout, one ale, and one lager. Dan McGuinness has that (Guiness, Smithwicks, and Harp), a couple of house beers, a hard cider, and maybe a couple of domestics? So I like to think of it as being somewhat "authentic". Basically, one choice from each major category. That's why locals in Ireland don't typically request a pint of Guiness or a pint of Murphy's. They just ask for a pint of stout, and they are served what's available.

I don't think people should be disappointed when they walk into an Irish pub and and actually get what one would normally expect in a typical Irish pub. If the owners wanted a bar with 50+ beers on tap, they probably would've opted for a bar concept other than an Irish pub.

Of course, if they owners really cared about authenticity, they'd inform their staff that the "w" in Smithwicks is silent!

Fair warning for those of you that haven't eaten there yet...they put shoe string potatoes in their salad. I personally don't want potato chip flavored thingys in my salad. Also, Wednesday night (I think it's this night) is KATT night. And they have live music on the weekends. Not my choice in music, but they have it.

Eh, it's another pub. You've seen one, you've seen them all. But this area needed something like this to balance out the moose and the BWW crowd. I live north, so I don't frequent very often but I have visited all above a couple of times.

All valid points

Only beers I really like in their tap lineup is the Smithwicks and the Sam Adams Winter Ale

It is a pretty good selection now that I think about it...Just wish they had a couple more that I could switch off to when I get bored of the Smithwicks

They do have a pretty good selection of bottles as well so I think I may stop complaining right about now

I was there Wednesday night (16th) too. Sat out on the patio which was nice--NOW.....might be a little steamy when it gets hotter this summer and nothing to block the sun from the west. But very pleasant...not so smokey. I talked to the owner, he said he might add an arbor to the patio to give it some shade, but he might not do it until next year. I noticed a lot of people there (after work crowd) that used to frequent the Moose.

One of the best items on the menu--the reuben sandwich. And I did notice the shoestring potato chips in my salad too. Different, but pretty tasty!

24. Default Re: Dan McGuiness Irish Pub in Moore

I'm thinking I'm going to have myself some Bangers and Mash in there this afternoon.

I work live in moore and work in norman, some people here were talking about how good this place was. were going to go check it out this thursday.

Thread Information