Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: COX and their "higher speed"

Default Re: COX and their "higher speed"

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Wonder View Post
    The only downside is you can't DVR shows off the antenna unless your DVR is built into the TV.
    Only downside? What about the inconsistent signals from over-the-air that many deal with (myself included) that I don't get on the same channels on Cox HD? I live in Edmond, within 5 miles of most of the stations. You would think I could get a good strong signal. I have an indoor HD antenna, which is all KOCO said I would need, but the frequent drops in signal can be very frustrating when watching a show, especially at key moments of dialog or action that are lost when the signal freezes or drops. I'm not going to invest in an exterior HD antenna. Instead, I've stopped watching those channels that don't offer their HD signal through Cox. I've enjoyed many other fine HD programming as a result of KOCO and KOKH refusing to allow Cox to carry the signal. Oh well... It's their loss. I certainly haven't missed it because I've simply adapted to new (and often better) shows.

2. Default Re: COX and their "higher speed"

I have an indoor antenna from Ultimate Electronics. It's built for HD and only cost $40.

I live in Yukon, but I can pick up BOTH Fox and ABC -- the two trickiest channels to get.

If you don't ever move your antenna you're likely to experiences lots of problems.

For me, if I want ABC HD, I have to stretch the antenna completely horizontal and turn the tuner to high.

Fox HD is just the opposite. If I want to watch the Cowboys play on Sunday with no breakups, I line the antennas up vertically.

But I was warned that certain areas just don't get channels no matter what.

gotcha... thanks. i'm kinda wanting to know what to expect and that helps a ton. -M

I live in Yukon, but I can pick up BOTH Fox and ABC -- the two trickiest channels to get.

If you don't ever move your antenna you're likely to experiences lots of problems.

For me, if I want ABC HD, I have to stretch the antenna completely horizontal and turn the tuner to high.

Fox HD is just the opposite. If I want to watch the Cowboys play on Sunday with no breakups, I line the antennas up vertically.
    That's much easier than cable...

5. Default Re: COX and their "higher speed"

^ *smirk* I have cable too, but well spoken.

The only downside is you can't DVR shows off the antenna unless your DVR is built into the TV.
    There shouldn't be a problem with DVRing off your antenna. Now I haven't seen your antenna or DVR but, typically you'd just run your line from your antenna into your DVR the same as you would cable or satellite. Your DVR should have a couple of different choices for input depending on what you've got running out of your antenna, probably the RF input would be the easiest and make the most sense.

7. Default Re: COX and their "higher speed"

^ Hmmm, I'll have to look into that VERY SOON.

The digital cable is a problem. It is annoying how digital service suddenly disrupts and you have to wait at least several minutes for it to start up again.

I'm in Moore and the recent housing developments have slowed internet down but I still get good speed. I have a large home with a few cable outlets and the techs have had to come out and mess with stuff in the attic to get it to working this well continuously.

Quote Originally Posted by PUGalicious View Post
    I'm with mmm... I don't pay more for HD than I did for standard digital.

Also, I lay the entire blame on the ABC HD on Hearst-Argyle, the parent company of KOCO. Cox is doing KOCO a service by providing a quality signal to KOCO viewers at no charge to KOCO. KFOR, KWTV and OETA don't get any fees from Cox; why should KOCO/Hearst-Argyle?

KOCO says that you can get the HD signal free over-the-air; while that's true, their method of doing so as suggested on their website is asinine. I purchased an indoor antenna, mistakenly believing that I was close enough to the towers (since I live in Edmond) that I should be able to pick up a decent signal. I was wrong. Both KOCO and KOKH (Fox25) signals break up repeatedly during broadcasts, and it gets VERY annoying. I've drastically reduced my viewing of those two stations as a result.

I, for one, have repeatedly contacted KOCO's general manager as well as the corporate office to register my complaint. I've also let ABC know that their local affiliate is depriving ABC viewers of a quality HD signal. This dispute is about greed on the part of KOCO/Hearst-Argyle. They haven't been paid in the past for their signal being carried on Cox, either the standard analog signal or the HD signal. Like I said previously, it benefits KOCO when Cox carries their signal. It's more viewers for KOCO, which translates to higher ratings, which translates into more ad revenue. In this petty dispute, KOCO is losing more than Cox. And if it keeps up, they will lose everything they've gained in the last couple of years in the ratings war.
    Has anyone heard anything further on this crap??...Guessing it's a dead deal since there has been no mention of it for a good while now

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    Has anyone heard anything further on this crap??...Guessing it's a dead deal since there has been no mention of it for a good while now
    I haven't heard anything more. In fact, I tried to get the HD signal over-the-air for KOCO last weekend and there was no signal. Oh well. It's their loss. I've moved on to other networks that are available in HD on Cox.

So, is it a better deal to go with Cox's package for internet, cable and phone or can I get a better rate on everything if I go with satellite tv and another phone company?? I don't need a big cable package but must have a good long-distance plan.

Have been thinking about ditching the toshiba pcx1100 modem (a relic as I understand) but since it's sitting next to another relic (Pen II 266 box, old but adequate for my somewhat limited net use), I haven't really seen much need to get all excited about an upgrade.

Were I to go forward and pitch it, suggestions for the replacement modem, and vendors/pricing/etc. would be most appreciated

13. Default Re: COX and their "higher speed"

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Have been thinking about ditching the toshiba pcx1100 modem (a relic as I understand) but since it's sitting next to another relic (Pen II 266 box, old but adequate for my somewhat limited net use), I haven't really seen much need to get all excited about an upgrade.

Were I to go forward and pitch it, suggestions for the replacement modem, and vendors/pricing/etc. would be most appreciated
    If you're going with Cox, look no further than the Surfboard SB5120 - $75 or so at Best Buy.

------------

I have DSL internet right now and not nearly as happy with it as I was with Cox. I lived on the south east side of OKC when I had COX and I git 7-10MB downloads. Now with DSL I get only 2-3MB speeds and 400KB uploads. I was told I got such fast speeds because there were not that many Cable Internet users in my area.

My TV service is with DishTV right now and hate the way it always goes out when a cloud is in the sky.

I may make some changes soon.

I think you can get satelite internet for about $99/month. Atleast that is what they advertise on Direct TV.

Sweet Daisy: Your phone service is probably already using AT&T lines. You can tell for sure by doing this. Next time your cable goes out, trying using the phone. If it works, it is coming from AT&T not COX.

Sweetdaisy, If you are unhappy with COX, have you ever considered Direct TV? I've had it for years and love it. Two years ago when I moved I was looking at Condos but gave up because none of them would allow a Direct TV dish. So I move into a garden home community where I can have my Direct TV. The only problem that I have ever expierenced is when the rain comes down hard. The signal will be lost for a while, but it has never been out for more than 45 minutes.

I saw bunch of Comcast trucks in my rental storage.
    Is comcast coming to OK?

19. Default Re: COX and their "higher speed"

Cox Offers Low Income Broadband

Cox is offering one year of free broadband to Oklahoma's low-income residents, who'll also only pay half of the $15 installation fee.

After the year is up, those customers will pay $9.95 a month. Cox says this isn't their standard tier; we'll assume it's their "economy offering" .

Customers will need to qualify for Lifeline, a government assistance program that offers phone service for as little as $1 a month.

I had Cox cable and Internet until I moved out of their area. I now have AT&T DSL and like it. With Cox the modem frequently got confused and had to be reset. I've had to do that maybe twice in 2 years with DSL and it's fast enough. I also have a laptop with a wireless modem, so I can sit on the couch, watch tv and surf with no wires. Love it.

The big push now is to get a package deal with a company to provide your TV, phone and Internet. However, you need to be careful when doing this and really know what you're doing and looking for. The more services you have with a single company the easier it is to confuse the consumer on the bill. Sure it's convenient for you but you could end up paying more without knowing. I used to work in the Telcom industry and they made no bones about it, that trying to confuse the customer on the bill was standard practice across the board for Telcom companies. Their studies showed most people didn't notice it because of all the extra nickle and dime charges and taxes. And those who were suspicious often would not ask because they didn't want to appear to be stupid by not understanding their bill.

I've got Dish for my TV but have an antenna for over the air HD but can't recieve ABC over the air. I understand that, that has been a big problem for people trying to recieve channel 5 over the air on HD. Plus you can't get it on Cox in HD. ABC needs to intervene for their local affiliate before the tick everyone off and lose an entire metro of viewers.

21. Default Re: COX and their "higher speed"

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    ABC needs to intervene for their local affiliate before the tick everyone off and lose an entire metro of viewers.

I think we're past that point...They need to be doing damage control and apologies. Not to mention GETTING THE SIGNAL TO COX.

The only things I have a problem with Cox is like everyone else, the damn bill seems to creep up slowly each month.
    And sometimes having to reset my cable modem...arrrgh! lol

Thread Information