Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Nativity Movie

Keith Guest

Default The Nativity Movie

No Fuss as Schools Prepare to Screen Nativity Movie
    By Nathan Burchfiel
    CNSNews.com Staff Writer

(CNSNews.com) - As religious groups continue to react to the exclusion of a Bible-based movie from a Chicago Christmas festival, Christian activists in Virginia are meeting no resistance as they move ahead with plans to screen the film in public school facilities.

Not only are the schools presenting no difficulties, but organizations traditionally hostile to the use of public property for religious purposes are also unfazed.

Mount Vernon High School in Fairfax County, Va., is scheduled to host a screening of the "The Nativity Story" Thursday night, the day before its nationwide release. Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology, also in Fairfax County, will host a screening Friday night.

Both showings are sponsored by the Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA), a non-profit group that supports Christian clubs on high school campuses across the United States. The screenings are free and open to the public.

The film, which is being released by New Line Cinema on Dec. 1, presents the biblical account of the birth of Jesus Christ. City officials in Chicago angered Christian activists this week when they acknowledged they had asked organizers of an annual Christmas festival - the German Christkindlmarket - to reject sponsorship money from the studio.

City officials subsequently said their opposition to the deal was based on New Line's "aggressively marketing the movie," not the religious theme of the movie. The studio had planned to play trailers for the movie throughout the event.

But unlike the film's sponsors in Chicago, organizers in Virginia report no opposition to the planned screening of the film, even though public facilities will be used.

Jay Ruelas, an assistant soccer coach at Mount Vernon and one of the faculty sponsors of the FCA club there, told Cybercast News Service he had experienced "no resistance" from inside or outside the school system. Administrators, including Principal Nardos King, had been "more than helpful."

Rob Boston, a spokesman for Americans United for Separation of Church and State, said the group didn't have any objection to "voluntary events sponsored by outside organizations."

He said the voluntary nature of the screening "makes all the difference" and that if students were required to attend, Americans United would object.

"Certainly the teachers shouldn't be promoting a religious event," Boston added. "Our main concern would be if any public school were screening this devotional film and expecting all of the students to watch it. That would be schools sponsoring religion - we couldn't have that."

Members of the club are passing out fliers to fellow students encouraging them to bring a "friend or two" to the screening to enjoy "friends ... fellowship ... [and] fun!"

Paul Regnier, a spokesman for Fairfax County Public Schools, said he hadn't heard anything about the movie plans until media queries Wednesday and that no school board members or outside groups had expressed concern.

"As long as they're within the bounds of any other club, they can use the community-use process like any organization," Regnier said, adding that because FCA is a student club, they do not have to pay to use the school's facilities.

"This is in the evening the club is showing this," he added. "This is not sponsored by the school."

Tom Flynn of the secularist Center for Inquiry said there was no law that would allow schools to reject the screenings, even though he felt the current laws were "probably more lenient in this situation than is probably ideal."

The Center for Inquiry has been supportive of Chicago officials' decision to exclude the movie from its festival, but Flynn - who edits the organization's publication Free Inquiry Magazine - said the issue was different at public schools, because "student groups cannot be prohibited from using school facilities after instructional times."

"If you let the chess club meet ... then you can't refuse space after school hours for a Christian student group just because it's religious," he said, adding that the screening "put[s] the school board in a position of appearing to endorse the religious content of the film" but that "current law probably would not support forbidding that screening."

ACLU Virginia spokesman Kent Willis said the screenings were "perfectly acceptable" as long as the schools were not sponsoring the event, they were not mandatory, and the Christian group was not getting any special treatment other student organizations would be unable to get.

The last paragraph says it all. The screenings were not sponsored by the school, and the Christian group was not getting any special treatment. This is the way it should be. All voluntary......no one is forced to watch it.

2. Default Re: The Nativity Movie

I just hope they offer a movie in health class on birth control or abstinence at the same time...

16 ??? Having a baby..omg Hopefully, her 19 year old partner isn't brought up on Statutory rape charges.. they are just kids.. ouch

The teenage star of a film about the Nativity is missing its Vatican premiere because she is expecting a baby with her 19-year-old partner.

New Zealander Keisha Castle-Hughes, 16, who was nominated for an Oscar for her role in Whale Rider, plays Mary.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

3. Default Re: The Nativity Movie

It's really too bad we can't focus on the movie and its message and instead have to bemoan the fact that the young woman playing Mary is pregnant.
    "The worst sin towards our fellow creatures is not to hate them but to be indifferent to them: that’s the essence of inhumanity." -George Bernard Shaw

4. Default Re: The Nativity Movie

No one is bemoaning anything.

This post wasn't just about the movie The Nativity .. it was about showing a Christian movie to high school kids in public school, a movie in which the 16 year old lead actress is pregnant out of wedlock.. I sort of think that negates the intended message in some ways.

5. Default Re: The Nativity Movie

Um, not to mention that it is supposed to be a CHRISTIAN MOVIE. I do not remember anyone saying to me that Mary was 16. Why did they not use someone older. Well my kids want to see it and I am pretty sure they will not be thinking she is 16 and OMG its ok to have sex. I think they will be loving the STORY behind it.

6. Default Re: The Nativity Movie

Mary was only about 14 or 15.
    "The worst sin towards our fellow creatures is not to hate them but to be indifferent to them: that’s the essence of inhumanity." -George Bernard Shaw

7. Default Re: The Nativity Movie

Quote Originally Posted by Karried View Post
    No one is bemoaning anything.

This post wasn't just about the movie The Nativity .. it was about showing a Christian movie to high school kids in public school, a movie in which the 16 year old lead actress is pregnant out of wedlock.. I sort of think that negates the intended message in some ways.
    You're the one who posted about her being pregnant...I don't remember reading anything in the OP that referenced it. In fact, I just reread the original story to ensure I didn't overlook something.

The movie's STORY is what it's about...not the fact that a Hollywood actress is pregnant.

The only way that people will miss the message is by everyone making a big deal about her being pregnant. If folks would stop talking about it, there would be no negation of the message.

Todd Guest

Default Re: The Nativity Movie

Who cares about her being pregnant I just wish you all would stop cramming all this "christian" stuff down my throat.

9. Default Re: The Nativity Movie

^^I don't even know what you mean by this, Todd.

The fact is, it should not matter if an ACTRESS is pregnant.

10. Default Re: The Nativity Movie

So she's pregnant. How ironic. If you don't want all this "Christian" stuff posted all the time, Todd, then maybe you need to speak with the original poster.
    Still corrupting young minds

11. Default Re: The Nativity Movie

Christianity is something that is very touchy with some. Sadly not everyone wants to hear about it or take part in it. But since this is a place to post our thoughts, concerns, hobbies etc. it will come up, maybe to much for some people. I am a Christian, but do not like it crammed down my throat either, it is something I choose to learn about myself, and talk about with myself and my family, I do not push it upon people who I do not know and I do not think people should. The movie was the original posting, not about CHRISTIANITY as a whole, it was about the Nativity Movie being shown in a highschool and how young Mary is and pregnant in the movie and that it may seem to some that same age that it is ok. I do agree with the fact kids do not always SEE the whole version of things, they take from it what they want and run with it. Even though this is a beautiful story and at a perfect time of year for it, it may as alot of things do, be taken out of context. Todd, I hope you do not take offense to people talking of being christian, because their are plenty of people on this earth who boast about NOT being christian that WE as christians have to listen their whining, it is relatively even, and as I stated above and it is a very PERSONAL issue. If you do not want to hear it DONT listen, or do not post in reply to it.

12. Default Re: The Nativity Movie

Again, the point is not about the movie itself.

It was an article talking about showing this movie to high schoolers in a public school. It wasn't an opinion on the movie itself or even on the actress.

The original post didn't just start out and say.. "Is anyone else going to see Nativity? I am.." If that were the case and I interjected .. oh the 'actress is pregnant' then you might have a complaint if you felt so inclined, but there is a difference in how the movie was brought up in the original post.

It specified being shown in a High School with younger kids.

In other words, public figures/actors are sometimes role models... It's already such an uphill battle to get these young kids to do the right thing and not end up with Aids or teen pregnancies or STDs... all I'm saying is I wouldn't have minded having the movie shown at all in school .. I'm all for that.. but I don't like the fact that the 16 year old actress is pregnant - that changed the dynamic for me in relation to showing it to younger kids - that's all.

13. Default Re: The Nativity Movie

redredwine, we were posting exactly at the same time.. I didn't see your post until after I posted...

14. Default Re: The Nativity Movie

Exactly Karrie! Like I said, the kids may miss the WHOLE message and say OMG that actress is our age and pregnant HOW GLAM............I like the idea of the movie because it tells a story some may not have seen but only heard of, but the teens may not SEE that, like you said.

15. Default Re: The Nativity Movie

LOL, it is ok............I replied to your AT THE SAME time post......

Todd Guest

I'm being sarcastic ya'll...

I agree with Daisy it shouldn't matter.

17. Default Re: The Nativity Movie

Well, Todd it is okay, it is a board, we can vent all day, that is what it is for........

18. Default Re: The Nativity Movie

Keith, I was very pleased to read the original post...it makes me very happy to hear that no group is getting bent out of shape about a Christian movie being shown in a public school setting for anyone who wants to see it. It's fantastic.

redredwine & karried: hate to tell you both, but the story that's going to be shown in public schools is one about a young (teenage) woman who is going to give birth.

The big problem with this movie is that way too many people are focusing on the indiscretion of a movie star rather than focusing on the wonderful story being told. Spin the your story however you want, ladies, but I think you two are way off base with your concern of what teens are going to be thinking. The girl playing Mary is somewhat unknown...seriously doubt all the teens will be watching the movie saying "wow, it's cool to be pregnant". If you REALLY think teens are that stupid, make sure they aren't tuning in to Brittney Spears, Jessica Simpson, Paris Hilton, Lindsey Lohan...the list goes on and on. Perhaps we should just stop going to movies and listening to music since the stars are all such bad influences.

You two are WAY too concerned about something that shouldn't matter.

19. Default Re: The Nativity Movie

Quote Originally Posted by sweetdaisy View Post
    Keith, I was very pleased to read the original post...it makes me very happy to hear that no group is getting bent out of shape about a Christian movie being shown in a public school setting for anyone who wants to see it. It's fantastic.

redredwine & karried: hate to tell you both, but the story that's going to be shown in public schools is one about a young (teenage) woman who is going to give birth.

The big problem with this movie is that way too many people are focusing on the indiscretion of a movie star rather than focusing on the wonderful story being told. Spin the your story however you want, ladies, but I think you two are way off base with your concern of what teens are going to be thinking. The girl playing Mary is somewhat unknown...seriously doubt all the teens will be watching the movie saying "wow, it's cool to be pregnant". If you REALLY think teens are that stupid, make sure they aren't tuning in to Brittney Spears, Jessica Simpson, Paris Hilton, Lindsey Lohan...the list goes on and on. Perhaps we should just stop going to movies and listening to music since the stars are all such bad influences.

You two are WAY too concerned about something that shouldn't matter.
    Um............I said I hope that does not happen as did she. I think the Movie is a great idea as I posted before.

20. Default Re: The Nativity Movie

Quote Originally Posted by redredwine View Post
    Um............I said I hope that does not happen as did she. I think the Movie is a great idea as I posted before.
    Guess I need to get out my secret decoder ring when it comes to your posts, then. Based on the following post, I have no idea what you're saying.

Quote Originally Posted by redredwine View Post
    Exactly Karrie! Like I said, the kids may miss the WHOLE message and say OMG that actress is our age and pregnant HOW GLAM............I like the idea of the movie because it tells a story some may not have seen but only heard of, but the teens may not SEE that, like you said.

21. Default Re: The Nativity Movie

She's saying that she hopes the Immaculate Conception/Christian/Blessed birth of Christ message is not missed because the teens are focused on the actress (same age as them) being pregnant. Even teens might not miss the irony in that.

22. Default Re: The Nativity Movie

Thankkkkkkkkk you Karrie!

23. Default Re: The Nativity Movie

Quote Originally Posted by Karried View Post
    She's saying that she hopes the Immaculate Conception/Christian/Blessed birth of Christ message is not missed because the teens are focused on the actress (same age as them) being pregnant. Even teens might not miss the irony in that.
    And as long as it keeps being brought up by people (you were the one to post about the "scandal" in the first place), then the Immaculate Conception/Christian/Blessed birth of Christ message will be missed.

Point trying to be made: get over the fact the girl is pregnant. Take the kids to see the movie and enjoy the wonderful story of the birth of Christ.

This is why religion should not be discussed...everyone has their own opinnion and who really knows for sure which one is right?...the Bible has been interpretid in so many ways who knows which is right or wrong..nobody does..and yes teens do galmourize actresses and actors and do want to be like them so yah I could see where teens would think yah it is ok to be pregnant at 15 years old...the media and the film industry have a huge influence on what people do and how people act...people do at times like to play out what they saw on televison or the big screen and it is sad...I cant help but think how many people played out a crime that they saw in a movie..I do blame the media and the film industrie on much of our problems today...they both thrive on bad news and drama because that is what people get off on and it is sick..get rid of the media, rap music and hollywood and things would be fine..Bottom line here...I agree with Redredwine and Karrie

25. Default Re: The Nativity Movie

Religion should be discussed. It's not a facet of our society that can just be pushed aside. Politics are the same way. It's when the two mix that problems occur.

AIDS is a difficult issue--should we not talk about that? Or the growing worldwide obesity epidemic? Women's rights? Minority rights? All difficult issues, like religion...difficult to talk about, difficult to agree on...but they still need to be discussed.

If religions wasn't discussed, or challenged, then we'd still be living in the Dark Ages version of Christianity. Is that what you want?
    Still corrupting young minds

Thread Information