Widgets Magazine

Thread: Big XII Championship

Patrick Guest

Default Big XII Championship

Time to place your picks for the Big 12 game.

I say OU: 17, Nebraska 10.

Default Re: Big XII Championship

OU 41
    Children of the Corn 14

It's gonna be cold so it could be low scoring

24-17 OU

Supposedly there will be 60,000 Children of the Corn in attendance... but I also heard that number was including people at sports bars, which means NOTHING. For a stadium that holds 80,000, I am finding it hard to believe that only 20,000 OU fans will be there.

But this is definately evidence that this game needs to rotate between KC and Dallas, or maybe even use whatever Big XII stadium is half-way between the teams. KC is practically a home game for Nebraska, and not to mention if we ever had to play KU or K-State.

It makes me wonder if there is any motiff in putting the game in the Big XII north every year, to give the weaklings at least something of an advantage. But if Nebraska does in fact return to greatness, then that will have to be reconsidered.

spartan, i thought the game already rotated between kc and houston.

john, 'children of the corn'... lol, that's awesome.

-M

27-24 Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    spartan, i thought the game already rotated between kc and houston.

john, 'children of the corn'... lol, that's awesome.

-M
    4 out of the last 5 years it's been at Arrowhead. Kinda unfair as I see it. Big XII North

I bought my tix Sunday when the weatherman said a high of 43 in KC...Down to a high of 36 so should be a sweltering 25 or so at game time

Nebraska had a two week jump on OU and bought up most of the tix offered up by KC season ticket holders...We were left with the Shorthorn sellers and what little is offered to the team

Oh well guess I will be freezing my bu** off with 50,000 Husker fans...Know it will be one giant tailgate party in the cold

here are the locations of the big xii championship games since the big xii was formed in 1996... doesn't look like the north gets that much of an advantage. -M

2005 Houston, TX Colorado vs. Texas
    2004 Kansas City, Mo. Colorado vs. Oklahoma
    2003 Kansas City, Mo. Kansas St. vs. Oklahoma
    2002 Houston, TX Oklahoma vs. Colorado Oklahoma
    2001 Irving, TX Colorado vs. Texas Texas vs. 7.5
    2000 Kansas City, Mo. Kansas St. vs. Oklahoma
    1999 San Antonio, TX Nebraska vs. Texas
    1998 St. Louis, Mo. Kansas St. vs. Texas A&M
    1997 San Antonio, TX Nebraska vs. Texas A&M
    1996 St. Louis, Mo. Nebraska vs. Texas

MadMonk Guest

OU 28, Neb 10

Keith Guest

OU- 21
    Nebraska- 20

Given the prospective weather conditions, I'll go for:

OU 5, Nebraska 3, with Paul Thompson hitting a game-winning single to drive in Patrick Allen and Chris Brown in the bottom of the ninth.

This will follow eight scoreless innings following an early Nebraska field goal, which replay will have shown to have been propelled by rockets (because anyone in their right mind will know kicking the football in this weather will cause it to explode). That FG will be followed by a Sooner safety after the frozen ball shatters upon hitting the grass in the Nebraska endzone after an errant punt snap on 4th down.

And Bill Callahan will still be a jerk.

-SoonerDave
    (okay, okay, lame attempt at humor. Let's make it a classic OU-NU score, with OU winning 17-14; weather makes this really, really difficult to predict).

13. Default Re: Big XII Championship

The weather fits perfectly into OU-Nebraska lore. Many Big 8 championships were decided in wintery weather, be it in Norman or Lincoln.

As for the number of NU fans vs. OU fans, I think it will have no affect on the Sooners at all. They've played well on the road this year, and in 2000 I'm pretty sure K-State had a huge advantage, and still lost.

With all that said, I think OU lights them up, cold weather and all:

OU - 34
    NU - 14

why's callahan a jerk? i don't follow pro ball, so i don't know much about him other than what i've seen on the field in the nebraska games i've watched this year... and what i saw i liked. i'm seriously stoked that ou is playing this nebraska team. what i do know for sure, though, is that nebraska fans are largely a class act. i've great respect for that... -M

mmm...Callahan's not a favorite in Norman since he looked up at the stands and yelled "F'n hillbillies" when Nebraska was here last time

16. Thumbs up Re: Big XII Championship

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    what i do know for sure, though, is that nebraska fans are largely a class act. i've great respect for that... -M
    mmm, you are 100% correct on that point. I've been to many OU-NU games in Norman, and the NU fans that came were ALWAYS class acts.

Oh yeah, one more thing.... lol

dang... i don't know how i didn't remember that. that's pretty jerky. every time i've seen callahan this season, he's seemed pretty cool-headed on the sidelines.

and yes... texas needs to get a straw... 'cause they suck. -M

edit: ....i remember now. this is kinda tied to the incident where the nu player tackled a rufnek, isn't it?

Same game mmm

While acknowledging he used a poor choice of words in a profane outburst directed at Oklahoma fans Saturday, Nebraska coach Bill Callahan said he was upset because a group of hecklers were allowed so close to his players during warmups and oranges were thrown onto the field late in the game.

As he walked toward the Nebraska locker room after a 30-3 loss, Callahan looked into the stands and called OU fans "[expletive] hillbillies."

19. Default Re: Big XII Championship

It is going to be SOOO cold!!!!!!!!

OU 21 Nebraska 10

Callahan was also called out for engaging in a throat-slash gesture toward an official, and generally injecting his own brand of thug mentality into the Husker program. Unfortunately, many of those "classy" Husker fans are starting to follow suit.

I grew up with OU-Nebraska being as traditional as Thanksgiving, and always differentiating from Texas as rivals because we respected them, while we despised the Shorthorns. We respected them, they respected us. We knew we were both traditionally great teams, and we had great games with lots at stake.

Now, Callahan goes into a milk-the-clock mode when he plays an opponent that outmatches him (see his game this year against USC, or 2004 game against OU in Norman); his "Hillbillies" comment was somthing I suspect would have made Tom Osborne blanche in embarrassment. That he would try to rationalize the comment because "someone was heckling my players" was the ultimate in idiocy. If he's truly that thin-skinned, he doesn't belong in coaching.

Callahan comes from the virtually lawless Raiders organization of the NFL, where thuggery and a "bad boy" image were rule of the day. That's not Nebraska football. Never has been. But, as I said, it appears he's tried to inject at least some of that kind of mentality into the program.

That's why I call him a thug.

-SoonerDave

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    And Bill Callahan will still be a jerk.
    Dontcha mean, an "F'n hillbilly"?

Thread Information