Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10/11 story condo tower and mixed use planned for Lake Hefner

Default 10/11 story condo tower and mixed use planned for Lake Hefner

Did anyone catch the article in last Friday's Journal Record about the possible 10-11 story condo tower with additional adjoining mixed use and retail on the east or south shore of Lake Hefner? It's not a done deal yet, just a proposal to the city. The moratorium on any further development ends here in a few weeks. I thought the renderings looked pretty nice and it would be a much better addition than Hogan's joke The East Wharf. Much denser and better use of the land. It will be interesting to see if it gets past groups such as the OKC Runners Club and Hal McKnight's OKC Bicycler's Club.

2. Default Re: 10/11 story condo tower and mixed use planned for Lake Hefner

I'm opposed to this. There should be a height restriction along the shores of Lake Hefner. The current building where Hogan has his offices (name?) is as tall as should be allowed. Period.

--------------------

Default Re: 10/11 story condo tower and mixed use planned for Lake Hefner

why?

4. Default Re: 10/11 story condo tower and mixed use planned for Lake Hefner

Because it's a lake, a small lake with all sides visible. That doesn't make it oceanfront property, that makes it a small lake and a park. Stylish smallish buildings and restaurants in a concentrated area are great, but a 10-11 story tower? That would ruin the park-like quality (or what's left of it) at Lake Hefner. Besides, it would look awkward and out of place. At least that's my opinion. Others may (and obviously do) see it differently.

--------

5. Default Re: 10/11 story condo tower and mixed use planned for Lake Hefner

I agree with you, writerranger. One of my favorite parts of running on the lake is the open atmosphere. The same applies to enjoying the view of the lake on the Parkway. If they start building large buildings, it'd ruin the skyline and create dense traffic in the area. I'm sure lake standards would more than likely suffer as well if lake patrol isn't at least beefed up. Why not build the tower where it's better accepted? Somewhere like oh, I don't know, downtown? :-D

Building height restriction is the dumbest idea ever. They cause the very problems proponents cite for creating the restrictions in the first place. It is worse for the lake water to have 2 five story building than a single 10 story building. In fact it is much worse.

I would prefer to see the highrise downtown or on the river but if the lake is where it makes economic sense then that is where it should go. Lake Hefner could become OKC's Central Park.

7. Default Re: 10/11 story condo tower and mixed use planned for Lake Hefner

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    Building height restriction is the dumbest idea ever. They cause the very problems proponents cite for creating the restrictions in the first place. It is worse for the lake water to have 2 five story building than a single 10 story building. In fact it is much worse.

I would prefer to see the highrise downtown or on the river but if the lake is where it makes economic sense then that is where it should go. Lake Hefner could become OKC's Central Park.
    Central Park has tall buildings around that flow into more tall buildings that....on and on. There's no comparison. I was writing about aesthetics as much as anything; I don't know a thing about how the lake water would react to two five story buildings versus one ten story building.

-------------

I guess it depends on the architect. Some are very good at making buildings blend in with natural surroundings by using lines and colors that match the water and lake banks. Other aren’t so good. They design generic buildings that seem out of place no matter where they are built. A building along the lake that had green awnings at the ground floor with light blues on the exterior walls or even a blue tint to the glass could blend in very nice. Even at night it could be lit with soft blue light to make it glow but not over power the area.

Patrick Guest

This will never happen anyways. Trust me, the Sierra Club and the bicyclists, runners, etc. have a strong lobby. I'm sure city hall chambers will be crowded the day this is discussed, mostly with people that use the lake for recreation.

I am not in favor of a condo development on Lake Hefner. It's city land. It's for all of us to use. You put a condo development on the lake, and it starts to privatize portions of the lake. Why give city land to rich folks to enjoy?

I think the focus at Lake Hefner needs to remain entertainment and recreation.

I wouldn't mind a nice bike shop being built on the lake! A marina might even be nice. But, condos don't really fit with the vision I have for Lake Hefner.

I might be in favor of a high rise hotel near the restaurants.

I think we need to leave the high rise condos to downtown and the Oklahoma River. We have plenty of land to develop along the river.

10. Default Re: 10/11 story condo tower and mixed use planned for Lake Hefner

Those are all very good points, Patrick. I agree with them all!

------

Patrick you make good points and I agree with some of them. I know of many of the reasons you bring as well as that others have brought up and ones that were not. In fact, I was subcontracted by the city to do the research study on the lake's usage a few years back. I support a greener OKC, but Kerry also makes valid points that suburban sprawl and smaller buildings that create less density do in fact create the problems that many activists groups support (pollution, quality of life, traffic, etc.) I'm confused however, you mention that you agree the lake should be used for recreation and entertainment. The condo development clearly stated that it would have retail and restaurants. I think that retail and restaurants is just as much entertainment than what is out there now. In fact one of OKC's controversial developers Randy Hogan sits on a fat office overlooking the lake. More than likely the people that would occupy the condo's would be users of the lake, not polluters that don't enjoy it. I'd much rather see the condo's downtown or the river more than the next guy, but you're right, the activists won't let this happen, it's just sad they don't give the same treatment and high standards to other development in OKC.

Do you all even know what you're talking about? Re-read the article, and then draw me a map of where this development will be.

This will be due when I'm back on these forums, on Sunday... DO IT!!! lol...

Patrick Guest

By entertainment and recreation, I'm more in favor of upscale restaurants, hotels, bike shops, etc. I wasn't in favor of upscale office space.

metro, I do agree with most of your points though. If we are going to add more development to Lake Hefner, I'd rather it go vertical!

Patrick wants upscale restraunts, shopping, and hotels but he doesn't want rich people to enjoy the lake. Just who do you think goes to upscale restraunts, upscale shopping, and upscale hotels? Now those "rich" people can drive to the shopping by the lake or they can walk to shopping by the lake. In an effort to reduce traffic, some think it is better to drive to the lake. Go figure.

OFF TOPIC

Who is the lady on the Today Show that is from Oklahoma?

I don't get the 'ruins the views from Hefner Parkway' angle. Maybe more people show concentrate on the road.

Just a thought...

17. Default Re: 10/11 story condo tower and mixed use planned for Lake Hefner

There are already a couple marinas on the lake, Patrick.

18. Default Re: 10/11 story condo tower and mixed use planned for Lake Hefner

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I don't get the 'ruins the views from Hefner Parkway' angle. Maybe more people show concentrate on the road.

Just a thought...
    Ridiculous. How would you feel if some monster brick building covered up the skyline view from I-40? I mean, with your logic, you should be concentrating on the road anyway! Some of us don't like the idea of greenspace and what little water we have in town being obstructed by more glass and concrete! Gawd, I know when I shouldn't be on the forum and tonight is one of them. Sayonara.

-------------------

I just like that someone wants to build UP and not OUT. Lord knows we could use another 'office park'...

Patrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    There are already a couple marinas on the lake, Patrick.
    I'd like to see a marina where you can actually rent boats.

21. Default Re: 10/11 story condo tower and mixed use planned for Lake Hefner

I see, as opposed to private marinas.

22. Default Re: 10/11 story condo tower and mixed use planned for Lake Hefner

Isn't this development proposed for a property /east/ of the parkway? If that's the case, I certainly don't see any reason why it would ruin a lake experience.

Quote Originally Posted by shane453 View Post
    Isn't this development proposed for a property /east/ of the parkway? If that's the case, I certainly don't see any reason why it would ruin a lake experience.
    That's my understanding. The proposed complex is to go on the east side of Hefner Parkway, where the little league ball parks are now. The ball parks are to be relocated to the south shore, near the model airplane field.

24. Default Re: 10/11 story condo tower and mixed use planned for Lake Hefner

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBent View Post
    That's my understanding. The proposed complex is to go on the east side of Hefner Parkway, where the little league ball parks are now. The ball parks are to be relocated to the south shore, near the model airplane field.
    That would be fine. I don't think anybody would argue that anything east of the parkway is part of the lake and recreational areas. Now, this sounds like a good idea!

------------------

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I just like that someone wants to build UP and not OUT.
    Amen!

Thread Information