Widgets Magazine
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 161718192021

Thread: Falcone's

1. Default Re: Falcone's in Bricktown is Gone

Tried it the other day. Great atmosphere, nice menu..... unfortunately, I found the food to just be 'okay.'

Will try again in a month or two.

Default Re: Falcone's in Bricktown is Gone

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Tried it the other day. Great atmosphere, nice menu..... unfortunately, I found the food to just be 'okay.'

Will try again in a month or two.
    Sometimes "okay" is okay.

3. Default Re: Falcone's in Bricktown is Gone

For those that have been, was the food the same as Norman? Better, worse?

4. Default Re: Falcone's in Bricktown is Gone

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Sometimes "okay" is okay.
    I'd agree when we're talking about one of any hundreds of restaurants located on just about any corner. I think the bar should be a bit higher for places like Bricktown. But, okay/marginal food and good atmosphere seems to be satisfactory for many people who frequent Bricktown. One reason I virtually never eat in BT is because much better food can be had cheaper and with less hassle. Regardless, its a much better fit than Falcone's and should make it at least for the immediate future.

That looks like a huge improvement over how Falcone's was using the space.

The quality of food in BT is no doubt debatable. Some people like this, some people like that, some like it all, some hate it all (sometimes for no acctual reason). But this place and it's "okay" food, is a good thing, even if I personally find it a little disappointing. "Okay" food is something that is needed in BT. We can't just cater to those who expect the most upscale eateries possible. BT sould make an effort to be more diversified than that. While Daddy Warbucks might take Little Orphan Annie to Nonna's Euro-American Ristorante, the majority of us aren't taking our kids/wifes/dates/etc. there. If I'm going to a movie with my wife, we might give someplace like that a try if it's a special occasion, but if we're just out to see The Avengers or (God forbid) the next Twilight movie, we're probably hitting up Sonic. People don't, or at least shouldn't eat in Bricktown (or anywhere else for that matter) and expect a life altering experience. In my opinion, the GREATEST restaurant on the face of the planet is Coney Island, in spite of the fact that I, myself can make a damn good, mind blowing hot dog. It's not just the fact that eating a Coney Island hot dog is a religious experience. It's the place itself. Fuzzy's will succeed because it is somewhere between Taco Bell/Mayo and Chelino's/Abuelo's, but it has this wonderful atmosphere. Like if you mixed a sports bar, beach front restaurant, and taco shop.

In conclusion: okay/marginal food and good atmosphere isn't just satisfactory. It's absolutly necessary. You can't expect teenagers on a date at Harkins and families on vacation or out for a ballgame to be satisfied by The Mantel.

Good points, Fantastic. Not every eatery in Bricktown has to be a destination place like Nonnas or Micky Mantles. People just looking for a great taco restaurant aren't going to Fuzzy's.

8. Default Re: Falcone's in Bricktown is Gone

Quote Originally Posted by Fantastic View Post
    The quality of food in BT is no doubt debatable. Some people like this, some people like that, some like it all, some hate it all (sometimes for no acctual reason). But this place and it's "okay" food, is a good thing, even if I personally find it a little disappointing. "Okay" food is something that is needed in BT. We can't just cater to those who expect the most upscale eateries possible. BT sould make an effort to be more diversified than that. While Daddy Warbucks might take Little Orphan Annie to Nonna's Euro-American Ristorante, the majority of us aren't taking our kids/wifes/dates/etc. there. If I'm going to a movie with my wife, we might give someplace like that a try if it's a special occasion, but if we're just out to see The Avengers or (God forbid) the next Twilight movie, we're probably hitting up Sonic. People don't, or at least shouldn't eat in Bricktown (or anywhere else for that matter) and expect a life altering experience. In my opinion, the GREATEST restaurant on the face of the planet is Coney Island, in spite of the fact that I, myself can make a damn good, mind blowing hot dog. It's not just the fact that eating a Coney Island hot dog is a religious experience. It's the place itself. Fuzzy's will succeed because it is somewhere between Taco Bell/Mayo and Chelino's/Abuelo's, but it has this wonderful atmosphere. Like if you mixed a sports bar, beach front restaurant, and taco shop.

In conclusion: okay/marginal food and good atmosphere isn't just satisfactory. It's absolutly necessary. You can't expect teenagers on a date at Harkins and families on vacation or out for a ballgame to be satisfied by The Mantel.
    I think you're arguing with yourself. I don't recall anyone forwarding the ideas you were arguing against. It appears you simply assumed 'Okay/marginal' meant low brow. I'm no fan of lots of large upscale restaurants simply because i would not frequent them. But I also don't like spending good money on marginal food on a regular basis. Not that it was bad and not that I wouldn't go back. It just wouldn't be on my list when someone says "where should we go eat?"

Just got back from Austin and ate at Torchy's a few times. Its my favorite franchise of cheap Tex-Mex grub. I was hoping the food would be similar to theirs where I like virtually everything on the menu. But sadly I'll have to continue to indulge only when on vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    For those that have been, was the food the same as Norman? Better, worse?
    Been to both and the food quality in BT was the same as in Norman.

I've always enjoyed Fuzzy's for a cheap, quick, decent place to eat. No, its not gourmet, but for the price it is pretty darn good. Only complaint is that the menu in Bricktown is $1 more per salad/taco plate/burrito than in Norman. Even at that, it will still be a go to place that I can walk to from the office without having to pay BT prices for usually less than mediocre food. Plus, no waiters to tip.

I did notice they have 2 Coop handles on tap. I wish the Norman store would follow suit and add some decent beer to their tap selections.

Did they have Horny Toad on tap?

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Good points, Fantastic. Not every eatery in Bricktown has to be a destination place like Nonnas or Micky Mantles. People just looking for a great taco restaurant aren't going to Fuzzy's.
    They're probably going to Big Truck..

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Just got back from Austin and ate at Torchy's a few times. Its my favorite franchise of cheap Tex-Mex grub. I was hoping the food would be similar to theirs where I like virtually everything on the menu. But sadly I'll have to continue to indulge only when on vacation.
    With our trips back and forth between Denver and Austin we tend to eat at Torchy's every time we are back in Austin, we haven't found a similar place here in Denver yet. We will be going there again in a couple of weeks when we have the closing on the sale of our house there...I need to pick up some more of their taco sauce while we are there.

Northwest OKC Falcone's

I was in Falcone's on N. May yesterday, and their was a sign that said it was under new ownership. Any idea why?

Default Re: Falcone's

I t'ink 'd Custino Family is movin' in t' control Semi-OK Pizza Distribution in OKC.
    On 'd other hand . . . it could be something less sinister.
    Like, maybe involving a former presidential candidate of the republican persuasion . . .

It could be . . . if youse catch my drift . . .
    In any case . . . fuggedaboudit . . . or not. Your choice. It's a free country . . . right?

Historical Dining Opportunity Footnote:
    Danny Falcone fought the powers that be, in Edmond, over signage/awning design and won.
    But it was a Pyrrhic Victory . . . if you know whaddimean . . . with emphasis on the "hick" in Pyrrhic.

So new ownership, keeping the name of the former owner?

More like keeping the brand name.

17. Default Re: Falcone's

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    More like keeping the brand name.

From what I understand the owner of Platt College Michael Pugliese brought Falcone's and is changing the menu. It seems like I heard that news a few weeks ago.

Hmm, the fairly divergent reputation of that particular brand, were I king of pastaville for a day and set to replace the owner and the menu, I'm not certain retaining the brand would be the choice I would make. Unlike some, I don't recall having a bad experience with Falcone's, but I've heard from many who did. Never really decided if I was lucky or they were too picky, but I know feelings ran hard at times.

19. Default Re: Falcone's

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerQueen View Post
    From what I understand the owner of Platt College Michael Pugliese brought Falcone's and is changing the menu. It seems like I heard that news a few weeks ago.
    Yeah, I have also heard that Pugliese has purchased the business.

No loss, I was never impressed. I just hope we never lose Papa Angelos in Bethany, my favorite Pizza discovery so far.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Hmm, the fairly divergent reputation of that particular brand, were I king of pastaville for a day and set to replace the owner and the menu, I'm not certain retaining the brand would be the choice I would make. Unlike some, I don't recall having a bad experience with Falcone's, but I've heard from many who did. Never really decided if I was lucky or they were too picky, but I know feelings ran hard at times.
    This. I never "got" the fascination some had with Falcone's. Multiple visits to give it every chance to succeed, but each was a greasy, disappointing mess. Finally just gave up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettmiester View Post
    No loss, I was never impressed. I just hope we never lose Papa Angelos in Bethany, my favorite Pizza discovery so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    This. I never "got" the fascination some had with Falcone's. Multiple visits to give it every chance to succeed, but each was a greasy, disappointing mess. Finally just gave up.
    This, not sure why one would pay a premium for the Falcones name, their reputation is mediocre at best, but then again the tele-college guy is buying it. Papa Angelo's is by far the best NYC pizza around, had it yesterday!

23. Default Re: Falcone's

+1 on Papa Angelo's. It is our go to place for NY Style pizza.

Thread Information