Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Othello's, Al Eschbach's...what else does Bricktown need?

Default Othello's, Al Eschbach's...what else does Bricktown need?

Well, the transformation of Daddy Hinkle's into Othello's is going well and I look to have it open by November 6th. The opening of Al Eschbach's Sports Bar will follow before the new year. I have alot going on but I am still thinking about another couple of concepts. I am thinking about a Pizza place and/or a custard place. Lunch Pizza buffet that stays open to 3am. Tell me what you think any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated. I love Bricktown and the canal I am really looking to make a 'splash' here - no pun intended. I have several opportunities and I am looking to do whatever is best for this area. Let me know what you think, I am the proverbial new kid on the strip.

Default Re: Othello's, Al Eschbach's...what else does Bricktown need?

Out of those two I would think the pizza place would be more successful...If you do want to offer custard I would do that along with the pizza as it seems the custard places are pretty desolate after the summer heat wanes

3. Default Re: Othello's, Al Eschbach's...what else does Bricktown need?

They opened a Pita Pit in Stillwater on the strip. At about 2:05am, the place is packed. They stay open late and deliver late.

After a night out at the bars... there is nothing like a giant pita. A place like that would do well if they would stay open till three or four in Bricktown.

Inferno,

Glad to have you in the hood. Make sure and send me info when you get your projects up and ruuning, I will add them to the dining section at Downtown Oklahoma City > Home. I will also include them in an enewsletter.

Kim

I wouldn't mind seeing a Churrascara in Bricktown. I've not been to the one on NW Expressway yet (Gaucho's Grill), but I never really thought that was the ideal first location for what is essentially a new concept in OKC. Oklahomans love their meat, so I think the concept can take off if done correctly. Bricktown might be a good location, especially if the scents of the foods are able to reach nearby foot traffic.

As for the pizza idea, FWIW, I'm more of a fan of pizza-by-the-slice rather than buffet pizza. A New York-style pizzareia would be more my preference.

Mike

6. Default Re: Othello's, Al Eschbach's...what else does Bricktown need?

Agree on the New York-style

7. Default Re: Othello's, Al Eschbach's...what else does Bricktown need?

I think a pizza place would go well in Bricktown. Seems like a quick place to grab a few slices of pizza before a Hornets game or movie would be ideal. Bricktown is lacking in the quick/quality department, and something like this could fill that void.

So are people thinking that selling by-the-slice during lunch would be better than a lunch buffet?

Quote Originally Posted by inferno_911 View Post
    So are people thinking that selling by-the-slice during lunch would be better than a lunch buffet?
    Yes.

Especially if they're true New York style slices.

2 slices should be plenty for a person.

I would say do a buffet at lunch since it seems to do well for the existing pizza places

I think a Chipolte type place would do well

Quote Originally Posted by brianinok View Post
    I think a pizza place would go well in Bricktown. Seems like a quick place to grab a few slices of pizza before a Hornets game or movie would be ideal. Bricktown is lacking in the quick/quality department, and something like this could fill that void.
    What is Hideaway Pizza to you? Terrible?

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    What is Hideaway Pizza to you? Terrible?
    I do not think that anyone is trying to run down the Hideaway, it's a wonderful place. I personally love the original (Stillwater), the hideaway Norman and Bricktown too but it seems that the hours for the Hideaway Bricktown are very unusual and maybe another place could help in filling that void of when they are not open.

Is the Hideaway in Bricktown even open if there isn't a game or concert at the ballpark?

I mentioned Falcone's on another thread. It just opened on May right above 63rd. It is New York style pizza by the slice owned and operated by a guy who grew up in NYC's little Italy. Good stuff. They also have Italian deli sandwiches, calzones, and pasta. It seems to be doing well and I think it would be a great addition to bricktown. Also, there are at least two pizza/Italian buffets downtown in the concourse, and this is way better.

A burrito place would be good. I like the pita idea. An upscale Thai place would be awesome. A real greasy spoon would be great or one of those diners that serves everything that are all over Los Angeles. A Mediterranean place with falafels and shawarmas would also be a nice quick and good idea for lunch, movies, and pregame. The city could also use some Korean Bar-b-que. How about a good southern/soul food place?

There are so many types of food that are almost non-existent in this market that, if you want to try some unique things to draw new crowds, the possibilities really are endless without having to go too far out on a limb.

BTW, I love Hideaway, but isn't that mainly a baseball game day thing?

Yeah, definitely go with an NYC pizza place, a custard place won't make it in Bricktown with the high rents. If you'd like as someone mentioned, sell the custard at the pizza shop as well. I'd like you to sell gyro's and pita sandwiches as well. Keep in mind that Pizza Town is on the west side of downtown OKC across the street from the Montgomery. It has been a downtown staple for decades and they have a lunch buffet. You'd need to offer by the slice or a lunch buffet to stay competitive. I'm confident it would do extremely well in Bricktown though.

Oh, and tapas. I think that'd be perfect for bricktown, but they haven't seem to caught on in this market for some reason. I'd say if the fondue places end up working in bricktown, then a tapas place should be able to.

There are tapas places all over OKC, you just have to know where to go, Tom & Jerry's is probably the best in town.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    a custard place won't make it in Bricktown with the high rents. If you'd like as someone mentioned, sell the custard at the pizza shop as well.
    That was the idea pizza and frozen custard together. I love Tappas, which may be a Othello's happy hour thing later on down the road. I must admit I haven't been Downtown enough to know what is really there, so everyone's comments and input is helping out immensely.
    The nest restaurant is going to be very small and has to be very easy to run because of the space that it is going to be in, this is why I was thinking Pizza.

Keep the comments comming. Thanks!

Metro,

Lots of local places try to do tapas, but there is really no real or good tapas bar here. They basically offer an expanded app menu. I've been to some awesome tapas bars that I suggest you visit if you ever get the chance: Cha Cha Cha in San Francisco, El Farol in Santa Fe and my all time fav, Bin 942 in Vancouver BC. Check them out if you get the chance! You will see and taste the difference.

Kim

Kim, I agree that we don't have any restaurants that are only tapas, however I just get sick of people who say we can't get tapas in OKC, you can and if those places get supported better than perhaps we'd see a better offering and perhaps a full-fledged tapas bar.

Inferno, in regards to you quoting my quote that is fine however get your facts straight as you make me look as if I didn't take the time to read your original message. Your original quote was:
    . I have alot going on but I am still thinking about another couple of concepts. I am thinking about a Pizza place and/or a custard place. I have several opportunities and I am looking to do whatever is best for this area. Let me know what you think, I am the proverbial new kid on the strip.
    You now imply as if that was what you said in the first place, a pizza and custard shop together. You said and/or custard place, thus meaning you could have had a stand alone custard place. Furthermore, you asked for people's opinion on what they thought, and mentioned you were new to the downtown area. I'm very familiar with the downtown area thus I was offering my advice. You may want to consider your words to potential customers as a business owner.

On another note, I am glad you are wanting to set up shop in downtown. If you haven't already thought of it, there is a perfect place next door to the club that used to be Club Rain (I think Venu now?) that was going to be a hot dog stand but I guess they ran out of financing and it never materialized. I'd love to see it in there and get that building completed.

23. Default Re: Othello's, Al Eschbach's...what else does Bricktown need?

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    You may want to consider your words to potential customers as a business owner.
    Why so sensitive? Get over yourself. The man is here to get input. He makes a comment saying he meant pizza and custard... big deal. It wasn't a personal attack.

Seems a few of the long timers here want to rule the roost and/or maintain the criticism bar at a very high level. No wonder not many stick around to make this an even better forum.

Quote Originally Posted by inferno_911 View Post
    I think that a pizza buffet for lunch would sell well - at least, with some of us downtown workers. Also, as far as layout - we often go to lunch in large groups. It'd be great to sit together, even if tables need to be pulled together. (average 10-15 number of people) With a 45 minute lunch, the idea would go over well!

Thread Information