Widgets Magazine

Thread: Why locate an energy company in Oklahoma?

Default Why locate an energy company in Oklahoma?

Perhaps one of our CEOs could answer this for us? Houston, of course has the vast majority of energy companies. It must be attractive to have nearly everyone you do business with a short distance (and a long car ride) away.

The most recent major player to locate here has been Riata, now Sandberg energy. They came just as Kerr McGee was bought up by Anadarko Petroleum (and presumably willbe moved out). I know of a couple of smaller firms in town (like Dominion). But other than Chesapeake, Devon, and some extent, Sandberg, we are way behind where we were 25 years ago.

So what makes Oklahoma City the place to be for energy corporations? Why aren't they flocking here? How could we convince more to come?

Default Re: Why locate an energy company in Oklahoma?

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Perhaps one of our CEOs could answer this for us? Houston, of course has the vast majority of energy companies. It must be attractive to have nearly everyone you do business with a short distance (and a long car ride) away.

The most recent major player to locate here has been Riata, now Sandberg energy. They came just as Kerr McGee was bought up by Anadarko Petroleum (and presumably willbe moved out). I know of a couple of smaller firms in town (like Dominion). But other than Chesapeake, Devon, and some extent, Sandberg, we are way behind where we were 25 years ago.

So what makes Oklahoma City the place to be for energy corporations? Why aren't they flocking here? How could we convince more to come?
    We can't but we can enter more general fields of business. We're getting fairly big on biotech. And that's the future right thurr...heck double bonus!

Well, Riata (now Sandberg) just set up shop here fairly recently as I recall. Does anyone know why they chose OKC?

Because Tom Ward dragged them here by the hem. He bought the company last year.

SandRidge Energy is the name, btw.

6. Default Re: Why locate an energy company in Oklahoma?

I would think that it's the talent available. Petroleum land management and the geosciences are taught at OU. Oil was discovered in the early 1900's in Oklahoma, and the state still boasts some of the talent and infrastructure from firms past, but much less. Parts of the midcontintent area OK is in still have some oil underneath, so location is still a factor. Just my opinion.
    Continue the Renaissance

ChristianConservative Guest

I didn't see this thread until now, but I'd like to respond. I also moved my energy company here, although for the sake of remaining anonymous, I won't mention the name. Why did we move to OKC instead of Houston? I'd say quality of life was near the top of our list. Also, we were seeking more power in our local community. There are already hundreds and hundreds of oil companies in Houston. We would've been one small energy company in a big sea. Here in Oklahoma City, we have a great connection with the city leaders, and a great involvement in the local community, something I think would have been missing in Houston. Also, Houston isn't all it's cracked up to be in regards to quality of life. Traffic stinks! The town covers so many miles. And there's more red tapes and bureacracy in getting things done with the local government.

Also, in regards to tax codes, I prefer Oklahoma's middle of the road tax codes. In Texas, I think the absence of an income tax, and increased property taxes make it harder on a corporation.

Just my two cents.

8. Default Re: Why locate an energy company in Oklahoma?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    We can't but we can enter more general fields of business. We're getting fairly big on biotech. And that's the future right thurr...heck double bonus!

Yeah I agree about the biotech.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianConservative View Post
    I didn't see this thread until now, but I'd like to respond. I also moved my energy company here, although for the sake of remaining anonymous, I won't mention the name. Why did we move to OKC instead of Houston? I'd say quality of life was near the top of our list. Also, we were seeking more power in our local community. There are already hundreds and hundreds of oil companies in Houston. We would've been one small energy company in a big sea. Here in Oklahoma City, we have a great connection with the city leaders, and a great involvement in the local community, something I think would have been missing in Houston. Also, Houston isn't all it's cracked up to be in regards to quality of life. Traffic stinks! The town covers so many miles. And there's more red tapes and bureacracy in getting things done with the local government.

Also, in regards to tax codes, I prefer Oklahoma's middle of the road tax codes. In Texas, I think the absence of an income tax, and increased property taxes make it harder on a corporation.

Just my two cents.
    You actually own an energy corporation in Oklahoma City?? And you chose OKC over Houston?? What kinda crack have you been smokin??

^ home

That picture must be photoshopped. A piece of road in Houston without gridlock. Yeah right.

ChristianConservative Guest

I kind of crack have I been smoking? The kind that doesn't like an hour commute to work every morning.

And Spartan, if that's home, maybe you need to move there, and go join the Houston Forum. Get off this one. Oklahoma City bashers shouldn't be allowed here.

Thread Information