Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where can you get a good philly cheese steak?

Default where can you get a good philly cheese steak?

Okay, after searching for a few weeks now, I'm still looking for the best Philly Cheese Steak in OKC. I had the new footlong one at Sonic today. That was a joke at best. Nothing even close to one. I've had one at Hobie's Hoagies in Edmond and it was pretty good. I had one at Charley's Steakery in Penn Square mall and that was very good, the best I've had locally by far. Anyone else know of any good places to get a good cheesesteak?

Default Re: where can you get a good philly cheese steak?

i'll second you on charley's, they're not half bad. while not okc, my favorite in the area is texadelphia in norman. it's around a mile east of I-35 on the se corner of berry & lindsay. -M

i have always wanted to try texadelphia, jersey mikes on 240 and western isnt too bad

Texadelphia, Jersey Mike's, and Hobby's Hoagies are the best in town.

No particular order, they each bring something different to the table, but I'd put Hobby's and Jersey Mike's a bit ahead just due to the fact that they carry TASTYKAKE products. Doesn't get more Philly than that.

I'll have to try Texadelphia, I know where it is, just never tried it. Did anyone catch the news on Hobby's Hoagies over the weekend? They were robbed and $4000 worth of food ruined. They'll be closed for a week or so to clean up.

i've been to jersey mikes (on 240 & santa fe, actually) and it's quite good... but i've never had their philly cheesesteak.

hadn't heard what happened to hobby's hoagies... sounds pretty bad. what happened? power go out? hope their insurance covers the loss. -M

Speaking of philly sammiches and Jersey Mikes, their Quail store opens today. South side of the turnpike, in the new Men's Warehouse strip, right across from the mall.

cool, I'll have to check it out soon. thanks for the info

ok i tried hobby's hoagies last week and it was ok but does not compare with jersey mikes

10. Default Re: where can you get a good philly cheese steak?

I forgot the names of them, however, there are two places that are on opposite corners of the same intersection... In Philedelphia. I have been told they are the best.

Since I do not eat cheese, only you can be the judge.

Quote Originally Posted by mranderson View Post
    I forgot the names of them, however, there are two places that are on opposite corners of the same intersection... In Philedelphia. I have been told they are the best.

Well as you can plainly see by the first sentence of my original post, I'm looking for the best locally, not in the US. For your convenience, I'll repost the original question:

" Okay, after searching for a few weeks now, I'm still looking for the best Philly Cheese Steak in OKC."

12. Default Re: where can you get a good philly cheese steak?

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Well as you can plainly see by the first sentence of my original post, I'm looking for the best locally, not in the US. For your convenience, I'll repost the original question:

" Okay, after searching for a few weeks now, I'm still looking for the best Philly Cheese Steak in OKC."
    The topic says NOTHING about Oklahoma City. It just says good Philly Cheese Steak.

13. Default Re: where can you get a good philly cheese steak?

Quote Originally Posted by mranderson View Post

Yeah, those are Geno's and Pat's on Passyunk. I tried Geno's and was not impressed. Some Philadelphians say that a real cheesesteak has cheese whiz; well, if having provolone is blasphemy, then so be it, because it is a lot better with it. Another famous place (tested by R & R Rachael Ray) is Jim's Steaks, also in South Philly on bohemian South St.

Can't say which place is best locally yet...
    Continue the Renaissance

I vote for Jersey Mike's. Pretty tasty.

MadMonk Guest

I just had the "Big Kahuna" cheese steak for lunch today from Jersy Mike's (Quail location) and it was great. Next time I'll get it without the jalapenos though. They just don't seem "right" on a Philly cheese steak.

HAHAHAH Jersey Mike's! Wow. That's pretty cool. We carried our name across the country!

Ah the philly cheesesteak, a work of art. Best sold of course on the streets of the city where it got its name, my vote is from a "grease truck" street vendor (don't waste your time on Geno's or Pat's its overpriced and on the weekend there's a line). Jersey shore and boardwalk produce some awesome cheese steaks as well. Hey Floater I didn't know about the cheez whiz thing! At the pizza place where I used to work as a kid we did melt provolone, and that's the best.

Anyhoo to make this post relevant to the discussion, philly cheesesteak's in Oklahoma...well thanks for the advice, everyone. I would like to find a good local place.

Funny story about cheesesteaks. My first time out in Norman a friend said he was going to make a "steak sandwich" run to this Del Rancho place, and I was like "ooooo cheesesteak! sounds good to me!". Turns out to be that other thing you guys eat out here...wow. That was a culture shock! Can't say I was thrilled by it, but it seems to be a local favorite amond all my friends out here. Maybe it was the gravy...

I have to disagree on Jersey mikes... Maybe it's just the Midwest city one that recently opened, but both times I went it was not that great. The best philly's out side of philly are done at home... at least that's been my experiance.

My vote is for the Philly's at Hobby's Hoagies. Order it without all the veggies though. Lettuce, tomatoe, and pickles are not authentic to the Philly cheesesteak and dilute the flavor of the steak and cheese. They use white American cheese which I really like. Jersey Mikes Phily is okay too, but seems to have a little more of a fast food level quality of taste to it.

I went to Jersey Mike's yesterday and got the Chipotle Cheese Steak one. It was really good and they made it to order (like had to grill the meat, onions, peppers, and melt the cheese). If you want kind of a fancy kind of cheese steak try The Mantel in Bricktown. It is pretty much a NY Strip on a buy with peppers and onions. Not cut up or anything, but it was really good.

Quote Originally Posted by sooners83 View Post
    If you want kind of a fancy kind of cheese steak try The Mantel in Bricktown. It is pretty much a NY Strip on a buy with peppers and onions. Not cut up or anything, but it was really good.
    Blasphemy!

Hobby's hoagies are great. But mine is always expensive bc I have to add extra meat and cheese. But its great!!!. I use to work there so I'm kinda bias. The only other place I like is in philly. Some place right by the airport.

I grew up in the Philly area so OKC is never going to be as good. Jersey Mike's is ok, and it's the best I've had around here. I'm going to try Hobie's Hoagies either tonight or this weekend.

As for Philly, the best "known" place is Jim's. Pat's is better than Geno's because you can choose your cheese. As with anything, the best places are the places no one has ever heard of.

Philly is known for Cheese Steaks, Tastykakes and Soft Pretzels. That's why it was the fattest city in America for a long time before Houston passed Philly a few years ago.

BTW, I haven't found anything close to a good Soft Pretzel around here, and I'm open to any suggestions.

Keys to a good Cheese Steak:
    Good fresh hard roll (it gets softer with all the juice)
    Quality thin chopped steak
    Fresh Melted Cheese (your choice, but it must me melted in and not just added at the end)
    Onions caramelized just right (This is the hardest thing to find outside of Philly)
    Sauteed Mushrooms (optional)

I'll second the vote for Jeresy Mike's Philly. Actually, if you don't mind driving to Norman, Texadelphia makes a pretty mean cheesesteak as well.

-sd

I found a pleasant surprise at Freddy's Frozen Custard in South OKC, at Western & 89th I believe. That was a darn good cheesesteak, almost as good as the ones I had in the NJ / Philly area when I lived there.

25. Default Re: where can you get a good philly cheese steak?

Quote Originally Posted by RoboNerd View Post
    I found a pleasant surprise at Freddy's Frozen Custard in South OKC, at Western & 89th I believe. That was a darn good cheesesteak, almost as good as the ones I had in the NJ / Philly area when I lived there.
    I should try the one up here in Edmond, but I always just get the Original and a dog.

As far as what I've had, Jersey Mike's is the best. Most of the other subs they have are really good as well.

Thread Information