Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 43 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Childhood Memories of OKC

1. Default Re: Childhood Memories of OKC

When my brother was in the Navy, he once showed up at home on leave accompanied by a chap from New Jersey; after a couple of days, said chap observed Alan Merrell, and said "That's the first person I've heard here who didn't have an accent."

Default Re: Childhood Memories of OKC

I guess that was before Al Eshback, huh?

Wow!
    I just stumbled into this forum while checking out a Foreman Scotty link.
    Reading this is really bringing back some memories. The old ads are awesome.
    BTW...Neptunes on 31st and Classen is still open. Remember when it was Quicks?

Not sure if the Snake Farm question has been answered....but as I recall, Bob Jenni passed away in March of 2005. After his death, his wife Natalie disolved the Snake Farm. Not sure what became of the animals. He was an incredible man who was part of our childhood. He will be missed.

About the Foreman Scotty..... wasn't there a character on his show who played a roving reporter named "Scoop O'Brian"? He wasn't on every episode, but I'm almost sure it was the Foreman Scotty Show.

4. Default Re: Childhood Memories of OKC

Quote Originally Posted by kentfromokc View Post
    Oh, yes! I loved Quicks burgers. For those who don't remember, they were McDonald's sized hamburgers, but instead of mustard and ketchup, their thing was hickory sauce! I've often wondered why the big chains (like McDonald's) have never tried that. I loved them. And good chocolate shakes, too. Wow - Quicks! Love those memories!

BTW, Welcome to OKCTalk, kentfromokc! Hope you stick around!

-------------

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri101 View Post
    Being of the same vintage as Rveit and many here - this thread has been wonderful.

Frederick's of Hollywood has also survived as one of the original Crossroad businesses. I was the assistant manager there on opening day of Crossroads Mall. Our most shoplifted item? Crotchless panties! lol

I graduated from Northeast HS, class of 73. We were bussed to NE - I should have been geographically assigned to Old Classen. We hung out on Classen a lot. Memorial Park was also a hot spot back then, especially on Friday nights after dark!

(sigh) Now I feel old.
    I graduated from NE in 1969 and was the first class bussed to NE from Harding.
    Sigh, I still remember the yearbook disaster of my senior year. Harding spent all of their yearbook money on the 1968 and so did NE. My senior year at NE had almost no money for the yearbook and it showed. It was the best they could come up with, but sadly not very good. Oh,well.

I also live a few blocks from Memorial Park. I have a friend or two that became preggers at that park. I took the high road and decided not to date til college (or rather the guys decided NOT to date me til then.) LOL Probably a good thing in the long run...cause I managed to graduate from HS and College before kids!

Quote Originally Posted by writerranger View Post
    Oh, yes! I loved Quicks burgers. For those who don't remember, they were McDonald's sized hamburgers, but instead of mustard and ketchup, their thing was hickory sauce! I've often wondered why the big chains (like McDonald's) have never tried that. I loved them. And good chocolate shakes, too. Wow - Quicks! Love those memories!

BTW, Welcome to OKCTalk, kentfromokc! Hope you stick around!

-------------
    Quicks was the best! You had to pay a quarter to even get into the parking lot on the weekends. You got it back after you bought something to eat. They were that busy. We used to walk there from Harding for lunch. We were supposed to be walking home, but oh well. It is a sub sandwich place now and pretty decent. It has been there longer than Quicks.

7. Default Re: Childhood Memories of OKC

Quote Originally Posted by RVeit View Post
    ANYBODy still reading this post....I had a couple of weird thoughts.....weird that these two thoughts would be at the same time....whatever happened to Alan Merrill....and is the old strip joint still there...The Red Dog wasn't it?
    Alan Merrill died several years ago. Yes, I remember his lisp and his "in You-can (yukon), Oklahoma," and the Mexican market.

The Red Dog is still around and as much of a dump and redneck hangout as ever.

Wow!
    I just stumbled into this forum while checking out a Foreman Scotty link.
    Reading this is really bringing back some memories. The old ads are awesome.

Not sure if the Snake Farm question has been answered....but as I recall, Bob Jenni passed away in March of 2005. After his death, his wife Natalie disolved the Snake Farm. Not sure what became of the animals. He was an incredible man who was part of our childhood. He will be missed.

About the Foreman Scotty..... wasn't there a character on his show who played a roving reporter named "Scoop O'Brian"? He wasn't on every episode, but I'm almost sure it was the Foreman Scotty Show.
    Thanks for the information on Bob Jenny...and keeping my thread active. I have had so much fun reading about everyone's memories. I wish so badly that I would have stopped and visited Bob's Snake Farm when I saw it originally. He was a cool dude, way before his time inthe reptile handling arena.

Wouldn't it be cool to find Foreman Scotty or Auction with Ho Ho videos. I remember watching them and all of the old Tarzan movies on Saturday mornings. If you haven't read it in this thread Cheetah the chimp is still alive! I donated $125to the sanctuary he lives in and hew painted a really cool picture that is hanging proudly in my living room> If anyone wants the website just let me know.

Anyway, I was sure glad to check in and see the "Memories" thread still going...it has been fun!

Prunepicker Guest

I don't remember Scoop O'brien being on "Foreman Scotty" (@1958-9) but I'm thinking he was on after "Foreman Scotty" and during the "The Adventures of Superman" and "Crusader Rabbit". He sat at a desk with a typewriter and dressed like Jimmy Olsen with a hat and big glasses. He'd announce the show and make an appearance, probably hawking a product or saying we'll be right back. That was a popular thing to do back then.

10. Default Re: Childhood Memories of OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    I don't remember Scoop O'brien being on "Foreman Scotty" (@1958-9) but I'm thinking he was on after "Foreman Scotty" and during the "The Adventures of Superman" and "Crusader Rabbit". He sat at a desk with a typewriter and dressed like Jimmy Olsen with a hat and big glasses. He'd announce the show and make an appearance, probably hawking a product or saying we'll be right back. That was a popular thing to do back then.
    You are correct. I knew there was a reporter character but had forgotten the name. I think he was played by Wakefield Holly.

Prunepicker Guest

I remember Quick's. It was one of the turn-a-rounds when cruising. I remember Officer Rains, the OKC cop working Quick's security, and when he bought his Kawasaki Mach III.

Prunepicker

I miss Crystal's Pizza! When my hubby & I drove to Dallas to fly out for our honeymoon, we made a point of driving halfway across the city just to eat at Crystal's. I'm still in love with their cheese pizza... and skeeball, of course!

I wonder why they closed the I-240 location back in the day? Was that right around the time of the shooting at the Sizzler (or whatever it was called) over there?

Quote Originally Posted by soonergirl
    was that right around the time of the shooting at the sizzler (or whatever it was called) over there?
    no... crystal's closed over a decade after the sirloin stockade incident. -M

14. Default Re: Childhood Memories of OKC

I remember going to the drive-in on 59th & Santa Fe (think thats where its at). The last movie I saw there was Batman Begins. I went with my mom during the summer in her convertible 1991 Pontiac Sunbird, boy did I feel cool. I fell asleep about 5 minutes after the movie came on, lol. I wish we had a more upscale drive in, other than the one on Western with the waving cowboy my stepdaughter always refers to when we drive by, I did the same when I was young, always waving at it. Last time I went there the bathrooms and concessions were pretty ran down, I haven't even bothered to try again.

I read about the First National Clock being fixed yesterday and remembered when I was a kid the sign on top of the building that spelled out First National Bank and had the time. When my family had been out of town I remember seeing that on our way back and thinking "We're Home"

16. Default Re: Childhood Memories of OKC

Quote Originally Posted by CCOKC View Post
    I read about the First National Clock being fixed yesterday and remembered when I was a kid the sign on top of the building that spelled out First National Bank and had the time. When my family had been out of town I remember seeing that on our way back and thinking "We're Home"
    Are you thinking of First National Bank? I don't remember that at First, but remember when the old Liberty (called CITY National Bank at the time) did that. In fact, it didn't just spell it out - it wrote out the C-I-T-Y --- in script. I always thought that was very different. It certainly made a big impression on a lot of people at the time.

-----------

you are right! I forgot that is what it said.
    Tahnks

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by soonergirl View Post
    I miss Crystal's Pizza! I'm still in love with their cheese pizza... and skeeball, of course!

I wonder why they closed the I-240 location back in the day? Was that right around the time of the shooting at the Sizzler (or whatever it was called) over there?
    I have no idea why they closed. You're thinking of the Sirloin Stockade. The northside Crystals seemed to be busy until the end.

They were owned by Casa Bonita, probably the most awful Mexican food in the world. You could get better Mexican food in Mandalay, Burma.

Crystals pizza was very good. Was there one in Tulsa on 21st and Sheridan? Yale? or was that Casa Bonita?

Prunepicker

Does anyone remember: the original Sussy's Italian Restaurant on Lincoln Blvd, where the servers put cloth bibs on all the customers, the trampolines on North May just off 39th Street, the outdoor ''watermelon place'
    across from those trampolines, swimming at the Village Pool, Wedgewood Amusement Park and it's Saturday night Kaleidescope Dances, where The Who once performed, Sonic carhops that wore roller skates, Puddin' Lane Bowlin' Alley with Pappy's Pool Hall in the back, (my father's favorite hang out), the Paul Bunyan hamburger served at the Villager diner on Britton Rd, Taco Boy on NW 36th and May that was flattened by a tornado around 1969, ice skating after the Blazer games on Friday nights, the car races at the fairgrounds speedway, these are some of my favorite things as a child growing up in OKC.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by okiegal57 View Post
    Does anyone remember: the original Sussy's Italian Restaurant on Lincoln Blvd, where the servers put cloth bibs on all the customers, the trampolines on North May just off 39th Street, the outdoor ''watermelon place'
    across from those trampolines, swimming at the Village Pool, Wedgewood Amusement Park and it's Saturday night Kaleidescope Dances, where The Who once performed, Sonic carhops that wore roller skates, Puddin' Lane Bowlin' Alley with Pappy's Pool Hall in the back, (my father's favorite hang out), the Paul Bunyan hamburger served at the Villager diner on Britton Rd, Taco Boy on NW 36th and May that was flattened by a tornado around 1969, ice skating after the Blazer games on Friday nights, the car races at the fairgrounds speedway, these are some of my favorite things as a child growing up in OKC.
    I remember:
    Sussy's. The last time I drove by there was still nothing there. Jake Samara, the owner, told me the original Sussy's was on 23rd street near the capitol and was called the "Tempo" until Jack Sussy came in one day and said he was going to work for him. I've still got a copy of a check he wrote me that said "Sussy's/King's Club.

Everything about Wedgewood, including when they had the contest to see how long a Volkswagen could stay afloat in the pool.

Sonic carhops with skates. That was always a mess.

The stock car races at the Fairgrounds AND at Taft Stadium until @63? I also remember the drag races at the Fairgrounds. Last I looked the strip was still there.

The skating after the Blazers games. Does anybody remember the Tower Optician's carpet they rolled out for Score-O?

I don't remember the trampolines or the Village pool.
    The watermelon place.
    Taco Boy.

Where was the Puddin' Lane Bowling alley? I remember a Puddin' Lane grocery in Mayfair shopping center.

Was Bonaparte's Drive In (39th expressway) where Jimmy's Egg is now?

Who remembers Elmwood park on S. Shields?

Prunepicker

21. Default Re: Childhood Memories of OKC

I remember:
    Sussy's. The last time I drove by there was still nothing there. Jake Samara, the owner, told me the original Sussy's was on 23rd street near the capitol and was called the "Tempo" until Jack Sussy came in one day and said he was going to work for him. I've still got a copy of a check he wrote me that said "Sussy's/King's Club.

Everything about Wedgewood, including when they had the contest to see how long a Volkswagen could stay afloat in the pool.

Sonic carhops with skates. That was always a mess.

The stock car races at the Fairgrounds AND at Taft Stadium until @63? I also remember the drag races at the Fairgrounds. Last I looked the strip was still there.

The skating after the Blazers games. Does anybody remember the Tower Optician's carpet they rolled out for Score-O?

I don't remember the trampolines or the Village pool.
    The watermelon place.
    Taco Boy.

Where was the Puddin' Lane Bowling alley? I remember a Puddin' Lane grocery in Mayfair shopping center.

Was Bonaparte's Drive In (39th expressway) where Jimmy's Egg is now?

Who remembers Elmwood park on S. Shields?

Prunepicker
    Prunepicker: Remember Thriftywise drug store with the owl sign & logo in Mayfair? A small cafeteria in Mayfair called Hart's? Rector's books? Stone's IGA? Otasco? I want to place the big Thriftywise drug store where the grocery store (Stone's, Puddin' Lane and all the incarnations) is now. Which is ironic, since the building is being torn down to become a drug store. I might be wrong about that, but I want to put Thriftywise right there on the corner.

Okiegal57: I remember the watermelon stands that were at several major intersections around town, complete with tents and picnic tables. Are you sure the one on 39th wasn't at Portland where they built the Portland Plaza shopping center? Wedgewood was such great fun! There's an excellent Wedgewood website at www.picturemeonline.com/wedgewood

Does anyone remember Spanky McFarland's pizza place (Spanky's Pizza) on May Avenue around 36th street?

I love nothing better on these boards than the nostalgia threads. So many great memories.

22. Default Re: Childhood Memories of OKC

Prunepicker: Remember Thriftywise drug store with the owl sign & logo in Mayfair? A small cafeteria in Mayfair called Hart's? Rector's books? Stone's IGA? Otasco? I want to place the big Thriftywise drug store where the grocery store (Stone's and all the incarnations) is now. Which is ironic, since the building is being torn down to become a drug store. I might be wrong about that, but I want to put Thriftywise right there on the corner.

Okiegal57: I remember the watermelon stands that were at several major intersections around town, complete with tents and picnic tables. Are you sure the one on 39th wasn't at Portland where they built the Portland Plaza shopping center? Wedgewood was such great fun! There's an excellent Wedgewood website at PMO :: Home

Does anyone remember Spanky McFarland's pizza place (Spanky's Pizza) on May Avenue around 36th street?

I love nothing better on these boards than the nostalgia threads. So many great memories.
    When we moved to Oklahoma City in 1960, there was a place called Katz where Mayfair Market is now. Plus, my mom shopped at both Spartan's and Atlantic. Spartan's was across from the fairgrounds, and Atlantic was in Economy Square. They merged, forming Spartan-Atlantic, then folded. And, yes. I remember Elmwood. We went there all the time.

I bet there are a lot of southside natives that remember Dodson's.

23. Default Re: Childhood Memories of OKC

Quote Originally Posted by mranderson View Post
    When we moved to Oklahoma City in 1960, there was a place called Katz where Mayfair Market is now. Plus, my mom shopped at both Spartan's and Atlantic. Spartan's was across from the fairgrounds, and Atlantic was in Economy Square. They merged, forming Spartan-Atlantic, then folded. And, yes. I remember Elmwood. We went there all the time.

I bet there are a lot of southside natives that remember Dodson's.
    mranderson, You are right! Katz Drug, in fact, may have been there before any of them. I remember Spartan-Atlantic well and their hardwood floors that made an awful racket when the shopping carts rolled across the floor (loved it!). I also remember AMC being the first "membership" store (had to show a card to get in), and then Founders Fair on North May which later became Trade Mart groceries and then an attempt at being an event center before finally meeting the wrecking ball. Best Buy and all that is there now. mranderson, being from the southside, do you remember one of those watermelon stands under the big tents down there not far from a miniature golf course on kind of an out of the way road? I remember lots of trees.

------------

Prunepicker Guest

Thriftywise drug store with the owl sign & logo in Mayfair? A small cafeteria in Mayfair called Hart's? Rector's books? Stone's IGA? Otasco? I want to place the big Thriftywise drug store where the grocery store (Stone's, Puddin' Lane and all the incarnations) is now. Which is ironic, since the building is being torn down to become a drug store. I might be wrong about that, but I want to put Thriftywise right there on the corner.

I don't remember Thriftywise Drug or Hart's.

I do remember Rector's books. Stone's was the stand alone building. The old man would take the money to the bank, across the street, in a bag and he'd carry a huge revolver. Puddin' Lane grocery was in the south section of what is now Michaels. Stones was afterwards.

Gene Warr is allowing a piece of his precious property to be tore down?

Wasn't Spanky's on the east side May across the street from the Dodge dealership? Just north of 39th Expressway? I thought it became the Draught Board (a bar) in the 70's.

Prunepicker

25. Default Re: Childhood Memories of OKC

I don't remember Thriftywise Drug or Hart's.

I do remember Rector's books. Stone's was the stand alone building. The old man would take the money to the bank, across the street, in a bag and he'd carry a huge revolver. Puddin' Lane grocery was in the south section of what is now Michaels. Stones was afterwards.

Gene Warr is allowing a piece of his precious property to be tore down?

Wasn't Spanky's on the east side May across the street from the Dodge dealership? Just north of 39th Expressway? I thought it became the Draught Board (a bar) in the 70's.

Prunepicker
    Prunepicker:

I forgot about Puddin' Lane being across the street. It's funny though, as soon as I read that - I remembered it perfectly in the mind's eye. Strange, huh?

Hart's took the entire building where the tailor shop and Aladdin Books are today. It was a small cafeteria, mid-late 60's I believe.

Spanky's: Yes, it was on the east side of May and it possibly was in the location you're talking about. I'm having a hard time placing it exactly. Dunn's Dairy Queen was also just north of 39th and a Mobil gas station was on the corner of 39th and May. I would LOVE to see an old film reel of someone just pointing their camera up and down some of these old streets. Wouldn't that be a blast?

Mayfair Village was sold to an out-of-state investor last year. In fact, the investor is who recently refused to renew the lease of Mayfair Market (even at the Williams offer of double the rent!). They accepted the bid from CVS for the land. They will be tearing it down (permits already issued) and building yet another cookie-cutter CVS.
    ------------------

Thread Information