Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Childhood Memories of OKC

Default Re: Childhood Memories of OKC

While Lake Hefner was already in place when I came onto the scene, I remember being able to stand at my family's house on 64th near Meridian and see all the way to the lake. The only thing out there was Wedgewood and Cinema 70 at the time (this was about 1965).

Penn Square was enclosed and expanded in the mid 80's.

I used to love Crystal's, too. Not only the place itself but their thin-crust pizza was excellent. I used to hang out at the one on NW Expressway all the time in the ealry 80's.

There is still one open in Irving, TX:

Crystal's Pizza

2. Default Re: Childhood Memories of OKC

Traxx, you said,
    Also, is anyone here old enough to remember life before Lake Hefner. What was that area like before the lake was created?
    Although I was born here in 1943, my parents relocated to San Deigo in the same year, and I didn't return permanently (except during great visits in my teen years and then when in law school at OU '65-'68) until 1970.

So, for the real poop, you'll need to get a reply from The Old Downtown Guy, who is a lot older than me and has been here all his life.

But, here's a little bit of info about Lake Hefner, from Okc's website.

Lake Hefner in northwest Oklahoma City is easily accessible from the Hefner Parkway connecting I-44 to the Kilpatrick Turnpike. The lake was built in 1947. A canal at the southwest corner connects it to Lake Overholser.

Size: 2,500 surface acres

Depth: 29 feet average, 94 feet deepest

Attractions: Enclosed, heated fishing dock, two covered piers, boat ramps, wet slips and dry storage for boats, East Wharf restaurant area, Hefner Trails biking and jogging area, covered pavilion at Stars and Stripes Park, Hefner Golf Course.
    That doesn't tell you what you wanted to know ... the Lake Hefner area before the lake ...

I can tell you that the earlier "Wiley Post Airport" was originally located on where the east side of Lake Hefner (and Hefner Parkway) are located today. That's the place that Wiley Post worked on the Winnie Mae in preparation for his 1st (with a co-pilot in 1931) and 2nd (solo flight in 1933) round the world airplane trips ... both were firsts in the world of their kind. Here is a pic at the Oklahoma State Fair in 1934 ...

... and here's one of the original Hangar on the east side of what became Lake Hefner ...

If this peaks your interest about Wiley Post, see Doug Dawgz Blog: Wiley Post, An Oklahoma City Hero for more.

Wiley was buried in Memorial Park Cemetery on August 23, 1935:

But, as for any other knowledge about what the "Lake Hefner" area was like before 1947, I have no knowledge.

I have learned so much from this thread...glad I started it...you guys (and girls) are amazing! I will have to visit that Crystal's Pizza in Irving and post a review. (It is fairly close by) I never knew Wiley Post was buried at Memorial Park in Edmond..been by there a thousand times. I guess we could start a thread about famous people buried in Oklahoma....I bet that would be interesting. But, I want to talk about one of the strangest things I remember happening when they were expanding the highway on the east side of Lake Hefner. When they moved some dirt it caused a pond to drain more water than it had ever lost and someone discovered there was an automobile in the lake. Come to find out it was a mom and her daughter that had left home to go to the grocery store on November 23rd, 1963...the day after JFK was shot!!! That was one of those unbeleiveable stories...imagine being that husband/father, who had no idea what had ever happened to them....I had driven by that pond a hundred times......I'm sure someone will find the story..we could start another thread on weird stories in Oklahoma.

I remember that when they found that car. What a wild deal!

Thanks guys for all the info. BTW, if that hangar was on the east side of what is now Lake Hefner, would that road running behind it be Portland? I remember driving that road before they built the parkway and how it meandered next to the lake.

I remember that crystals pizza.. I remember when there was a dollar theatre over on shields and 74th, I used to go there almost every weekend..

Another converted NW OKC property was the Baptist Children's Home, which is now the site of the Waterford complex.

I believe it was about 40 acres... The Waterford was developed in the early 80's:

Well...I have received a lot of great memories and information from this thread...looks like it is losing it's momentum....just wanted to give everyone a smile that read my original post on this thread...about Cheeta, Tarzan's Chimp...is still alive! I ordered a painting this week...can't wait to get it...if you want one here is your chance......

Cheeta the World's Oldest Chimpanzee

8. Default Re: Childhood Memories of OKC

I would have loved to participate in this thread more, but I didn't grow up in OKC lol. The only memories I have of "The City," as we called it back home, were of the Dean McGee Eye Institute as a very small child. After that, most of what I saw was through dialated pupils and frankly, all I could see were the McD's arches lol.
    Still corrupting young minds

Why did Molly Murphy's close down? I remember it well, went there several times, maybe even prom? (1991, was it around then?)

But still don't know why it went under?

10. Default Re: Childhood Memories of OKC

Here's a question for all: On Classen, east side, in the vicinity of NW 39 + or - a few blocks, a rather large aparptment building used to be located there ... I'm thinking about 5 stories or so ... dark red brick. I once knew a guy who lived there around 1970-1978 or so.

Anyone remember? Anyone have pics?

Oh, yeah, Rveit, you are right ... Cheeta will never die, nor will J Fred Muggs!

Why did Molly Murphy's close down? I remember it well, went there several times, maybe even prom? (1991, was it around then?)
    Molly's operated from 76-96.

Business had really dropped off towards the end and I believe the owner (Bob Tayar) wanted to retire to Palm Springs, which he did immediately after the place closed down.

BTW, Molly Murphys was a 100% rip-off of a Dallas restaurant, the Magic Time Machine, which is still in operation:

The Magic Time Machine Restaurant San Antonio and Dallas where you'll dine laughing, enjoy our Roman Orgy unique menu of delicious meats fruits and vegetables served by character wait staff including kids favorite super heroes, fictional characters,

Quote Originally Posted by MalibuSooner View Post
    Molly's operated from 76-96.

BTW, Molly Murphys was a 100% rip-off of a Dallas restaurant, the Magic Time Machine, which is still in operation:
    It was a rip-off of a number of 70's era, eccentric theme restaurants. I ate there once - and that was plenty - in 1990 or 91 and remember thinking that it was a ripoff of a place called Bobby McGee's Conglomeration in Phoenix and a couple of other similar restaurants I had eaten at in the LA area back in the mid 70's. The salad bar created from an old Jaguar convertible, the costumed waitstaff, the silly singalongs were all pages out of these other establishments' playbooks. I especially hated the fact that they'd "hide" access to the bathrooms so that you had to ask a waiter where it was and they would make a huge deal out of walking you there, singing "Get on the Potty Train" or some other such nonsense. See - it's been 15 years and I'm still scarred!

Yes, there were lots of similar themed restaurants, but if you look at the menu from the Magic Time Machine you'll see even the look and feel was lifted by Molly's.

MTM had the "Roman Orgy" while Molly's had the "Baccus Feast", etc. And the MTM was open fully 3 years prior to Molly's.

I have no doubt that Tayar saw the place in Dallas and merely copied everything he could. Still, I give him credit... The place was a sensation for a long time, often drawing lines out the door.

You guy are bringing back memories. I attended Harding High School and my senior year I was sent to Northeast to graduate as part of the integration program. My uncle used to take me to the Paseo Plunge to swim. It is for sale now. I would love for someone to buy the bldg. and turn it into art studios or something. I spend a lot of time at Galileo's across the street and wondering if it will ever be anything. I remember walking from Harding to have a slice of pizza there for lunch and walking back eating it. Does anyone remember the old Orange Julius on the corner of NW 23/Villa? I loved to go there.

OK, I'm probably older than most on here but does anyone remember:

Twilight Zone [/U](street of white houses in the Paseo area where you never saw anyone outside)

Black Brick (hangout where everyone sat around on beanbag chairs drinking weird non-alcoholic drinks under black lights)

Filthy McNasty's (Paseo Nightclub)

Rocket Skating Rink

And Old Southsiders:

Elmwood Swimming
    Capital Hill Ice Cream Shop & Slot Car racing next door
    Golf Acres
    AAA Drive Inn
    Hollie's
    Circus Time Restaurant
    Shakey's & Park Terrace
    Dead Man's Curve
    Round Table Bar (SW location)

I think the twilight zone you are talking about was not in the Paseo area, but closer to NW 19th and Kentucky.
    Carey PLace is the row of houses almost all white. I knew about the Black Brick, but never went there. It was west of Classen around NW 26th or so. I went to OCU and drove by it a lot.

BTW, Molly Murphys was a 100% rip-off of a Dallas restaurant, the Magic Time Machine
    So would that make Taco Bueno, Taco Cabana, Taco Tico, and Taco Mayo all rip offs of Taco Bell or some combination of these? I mean great ideas always come from other existing things. We wouldn't have PCs and Windows if it weren't for taking someone else's idea and expanding it and making it better...

Anyway...

Anyone remember the Yuctan Liquor Stand? (Yuctan Shooting Stand) that used to be where TGIFs is on NW Expressway is now?

Or what about Exit Exito, where Johnny's now is??

Those were fun for a SHORT while.

Anyone remember the Yuctan Liquor Stand? (Yuctan Shooting Stand) that used to be where TGIFs is on NW Expressway is now?
    Yes, and before that it was a Chi-Chi's, which was another 70's sensation for a while, with huge portions and fried ice cream.

Quote Originally Posted by redcup View Post
    I think the twilight zone you are talking about was not in the Paseo area, but closer to NW 19th and Kentucky.
    Carey PLace is the row of houses almost all white. I knew about the Black Brick, but never went there. It was west of Classen around NW 26th or so. I went to OCU and drove by it a lot.
    You're right. I think it was called Carey Place. That was a long time ago. Probably about what 35 years? (at least)

ANYBODy still reading this post....I had a couple of weird thoughts.....weird that these two thoughts would be at the same time....whatever happened to Alan Merrill....and is the old strip joint still there...The Red Dog wasn't it?

21. Default Re: Childhood Memories of OKC

Quote Originally Posted by RVeit View Post
    ANYBODy still reading this post....I had a couple of weird thoughts.....weird that these two thoughts would be at the same time....whatever happened to Alan Merrill....and is the old strip joint still there...The Red Dog wasn't it?
    Are you talking about Alan Merrill, the car saleman guy? I was in the army 1968-70 stationed near the District of Columbia. Interestingly, he found his way up there during that time, same pitch as used here! That was kinda funny. Didn't he have an unusual way of saying the word, "car", like "cahr" or something like that?

Yes, the Red Dog is still there. But, it sure ain't what it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Loudenback View Post
    Are you talking about Alan Merrill, the car saleman guy? I was in the army 1968-70 stationed near the District of Columbia. Interestingly, he found his way up there during that time, same pitch as used here! That was kinda funny. Didn't he have an unusual way of saying the word, "car", like "cahr" or something like that?
    He had a marked lisp - "Route 66 in Yukon" came out as "Rowth Thixty-thix..."

Fun to imitate, especially after imbibing a couple of frosty adult beverages!

Yeah....he sounded like he came directly from the south side of Chicago...made millions during the energy crisis of early 70's........can't believe the Red Dog is still there....WOW!(an institute of higher learning for generations!)

Keith Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri101 View Post
    He had a marked lisp - "Route 66 in Yukon" came out as "Rowth Thixty-thix..."

Fun to imitate, especially after imbibing a couple of frosty adult beverages!
    He also said the words, "Proof Positive" in his ads. I hope nobody had to be in front of him when he said those words.

Lauri, you are so right about that lisp. I think that's what most people remembered.

Thread Information