Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Childhood Memories of OKC

1. Default Re: Childhood Memories of OKC

I remember that one now, before they built the bank and the parking lot.

2. Default Re: Childhood Memories of OKC

Sadly, I remember those places you mentioned. Guys, we are getting too old!

I remember those air-tubes in Anthonys next to that TG&Y. I entered a model-car contest at TG&Y when I was in the 8th grade. I still have that car somewhere.

I just remembered a place called, maybe, "Lakeview Country Club"? My parents would go there and take me once in a while. It was dinner, dancing, and a live band. I haven't thought of that place in decades.

Default Re: Childhood Memories of OKC

Lakeview? Are you sure you don't mean Sportsmans (which is still around).

There was a swimming club on or near the Candelwood lake... Later, Candlewood restaurant was built and now there's a senior center there.

Zuider Zee was in the same general area, long before Baptist Hospital became so huge.

Back to 63rd & Portland... Just talked to my friend that grew up right by there and he reminded me that the grocery store was first called Kimberlings but then became Consumers IGA. TG&Y was south of it in the same center, facing Portland. That's what later became Napoleon Nash.

The bowling alley in that same center (facing 63rd) was Coronado Lanes and Highlander Bowling was directly across from Baptist on NW Expressway (think it's Staples or Office Depot now).

And next to that, what is now Scholtzskys was Across the Street restaurant.

4. Default Re: Childhood Memories of OKC

Wow, you reminded me of many other things back then. I'd have to ask my mother, but I believe Lakeview Country Club was different than Sportsman's. I've heard of both.

Those bowling alleys were our equivalent of getting dropped off at the mall, I guess. I spent my fair share of evenings at Highlander, playing the pinball machines. I can still remember the "pop" sound when you get a free ball. Things like that are important to kids!

I can still remember the "pop" sound when you get a free ball
    Wow, that reference triggered a bunch of great memories!

It's funny how something like that can immediately transport you back to a time and place that you had completely forgotten about.

I suppose that's the essence of nostalgia and why it's so important to many (like the people on this thread)!

I remember very clearly that the pinball machines and various games were on the left as you entered Highlander, at the front of the building. And I can still see the gumball machines on the right side of the foyer! Wow, the mind is a strange thing.

6. Default Re: Childhood Memories of OKC

Quote Originally Posted by MalibuSooner View Post
    There was a swimming club on or near the Candelwood lake... Later, Candlewood restaurant was built and now there's a senior center there.
    That was the Cabana Swim Club.....spent many a Summer afternoon there.

Malibu, Those old ads are great! Do you have a higher resolution picture of the Shepherd Mall directory listing? I would like to tweak my memory with what stores were where in the mall, but I can't quite read the print.

----------------------

writerranger, I don't have a better res pic than that (it's from the Oklahoman archives) but here are some other scans of another directory listing from that same time:

And thanks for the Cabana Club reference. By any chance do you recall another swimming place just west of McArthur and somewhere near 50th that was called Twilight Beach (or similar)?

Patrick Guest

You guys all remember this? Wait, I think I see Todd somewhere in that pic.

9. Default Re: Childhood Memories of OKC

Twilight Beach was off MacArthur and a major hangout for Putnam City High schoolers. It was a big sandy bottom pond with a sort of geyser in the center that was part of a privative filtration system. A little smelly in general but a good place to get a major sunburn. Having graduated from Capitol Hill HS, our only reason to go to Twilight Beach was to get into trouble.

A swimming pool that most of you will be too young to remember was the Paseo Plunge. The building was converted into a meat and poultry outlet in the 60's and they ran an ad on the back of the Sunday TV program insert in the Oklahoman offering 200 pounds of meat for 39.95 a month or something. But, it was a very cool swimming pool in its day since it was totally enclosed except for being open to the sky and it had two levels of decks around the sides for sun bathing, hanging out and concessions. It was a favorite spot of Danny Williams and his wife or girl friend. They always had great tans and Danny had perfected an excellent no-splash entry swan dive off of the high board which he executed in between suntanning sessions.
    The Old Downtown Guy

It will take decades for Oklahoma City's
    downtown core to regain its lost gritty,
    dynamic urban character, but it's exciting
    to observe and participate in the transformation.

10. Default Re: Childhood Memories of OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    You guys all remember this? Wait, I think I see Todd somewhere in that pic.

I remember it well. That building was Oklahoma City's first brothal, and I am the guy hanging out the open window.

ODG, thanks for the Twilight Beach confirmation. I know my family went there in the 60's, as we lived pretty nearby.

I'm pretty sure it was west of McArthur and north of 50th.

Quote Originally Posted by Saberman View Post
    Sorry to get into this late.

Bob Jenny worked at the OKC Zoo, but was best known for his shows with snakes at Wedgewood amusment park out on N.W. Highway, by the drive-in.

Does anyone rember going to Napoleon Nash, that was the place to go in the "70's".
    Saberman..thanks for answering my Bob Jenny question...I remember him and those snakes so well but didn't remember exactly where...I still have two questions that haven't been answered.....Does anyone know about the Bob Jenny "Snake Farm" that was east of Edmond on old Rt 66 10-15 years ago and what happened to Bob......Also, has anyone ever heard that the old "Tornado" roller coaster was moved to an amusement park in Florida when Wedgewood closed and they always said it was the 2nd largest in America at that time.

13. Default Re: Childhood Memories of OKC

Some more neurons fired after reading some of the posts.

I have fond memories of Larsen Music, Driver Music in Bethany, and Rock World.

Of course now, Guitar Center is better than all three combined, but I can remember how it felt to go in there as a kid, watching some long-hair play guitar, with a cigarette placed on an ashtray on the amp. Seems like you could just go in and light up decades ago.

Maya was a popular band back in the late 70's. I'm not sure I know how to spell her name, but their singer, Cheryl Bonzak came into Der Dutchman one night, sat in and sang "Desperado", and I've never been the same since. She knocked the walls out with it.

14. Default Re: Childhood Memories of OKC

Quote Originally Posted by RVeit View Post
    Saberman..thanks for answering my Bob Jenny question...I remember him and those snakes so well but didn't remember exactly where...I still have two questions that haven't been answered.....Does anyone know about the Bob Jenny "Snake Farm" that was east of Edmond on old Rt 66 10-15 years ago and what happened to Bob......Also, has anyone ever heard that the old "Tornado" roller coaster was moved to an amusement park in Florida when Wedgewood closed and they always said it was the 2nd largest in America at that time.
    I actually answered one of your questions in an earlier post. Bob Jenny is dead.

Maya was a popular band back in the late 70's
    They played at my prom and many sock-hops when I was at Putnam City.

In fact, we had them back for our 10-year reunion (which was now about 17 years ago). They were still very good but I have no idea what happened to them since.

We also used to book Osage quite a bit back then.

Places I remember are the NW Hiway Drive Inn, Springlake Amusement Park (The Big Dipper), Kamps Grocery (MMMMMM those hamburger buns), the ice cream place where they featured the kitchen sink, Hickory Farms at Shepard Mall as well as the Shepard Twin, and AMC with that fun ramp...When you had a full cart on the lower part and lugging your shopping cart up that hill was always so much fun...Anyway, that's all I can think of at the moment...

the ice cream place where they featured the kitchen sink
    I believe you're referring to J.B. Nimbles on NW Expressway & 63rd.

I used to really like the Shepherd Twin because for the blockbusters, you could line-up inside.

J.B. Nimbles, thank you I so forgot the name of that place...

I was going to commnt on remembering some of those places till someone said that we are getting OLD.. So I have no idea what y'all are talking about..lol

20. Default Re: Childhood Memories of OKC

Quote Originally Posted by HOTTCUTZ View Post
    I was going to commnt on remembering some of those places till someone said that we are getting OLD.. So I have no idea what y'all are talking about..lol
    Yeah, that was me. I have comic books older than you, circa 1967. I believe my drumset is about your age!

Quote Originally Posted by HOTTCUTZ View Post
    I resemble that remark...

Hey now.. I am reverting backwards now...lol... I aint getting old just refined..

Yeah RIGHT HUH????

I only feel old when my daughter has a birthday....

I know Bob Jenny died but was wondering about that snake farm and the question on Tornado the coaster...I guess no one here knows...I remember the disco down in Norman about 75-76///can't recall the name...out by Target..it was the place to be ...discoing the night away!

24. Default Re: Childhood Memories of OKC

Hey all, we are attempting to organize all of these great memories into a separate thread/forum .. we are still working on improving the site so it might take a little while. .. thanks for your patience!
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

.I remember the disco down in Norman about 75-76///can't recall the name...out by Target..it was the place to be ...discoing the night away!
    Zanzibar?

There was also Dallas on Main Street.

Thread Information