Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 43 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Childhood Memories of OKC

Default Re: Childhood Memories of OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    Dolores Restaurant was before my time. Didn't it close in the 50's ? I saw a postcard of the restaurant a few years back. Wasn't it on N.W. 23rd near Robinson ?
    On 23rd just east of Santa Fe as I recall. It was still there in the 60's for sure and I think the early 70's.

Another restaurant I enjoyed was the Indian Princess Motel on Lincoln. They had great hamburgers.

I also have vivid memories of eating lunch with my parents at the Alamo Plaza on south Robinson.

Quote Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
    On 23rd just east of Santa Fe as I recall. It was still there in the 60's for sure and I think the early 70's.

Another restaurant I enjoyed was the Indian Princess Motel on Lincoln. They had great hamburgers.

I also have vivid memories of eating lunch with my parents at the Alamo Plaza on south Robinson.
    Dolores Restaurant was there in the 60's and 70's. Remember the tree growing right up through the ceiling?

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by zachtaylor alum View Post
    Dolores Restaurant was there in the 60's and 70's. Remember the tree growing right up through the ceiling?
    That blows my mind ! A lot of my childhood was spent in the downtown area, because of the family business, and I thought I ate at every restaurant in town.

We used to eat lunch quite often at the Sieber Hotel and Priddy's.

Prunepicker

Quote Originally Posted by zachtaylor alum View Post
    What was their "signature" desert? I can't remember now for the life of me, but whatever it was - it's now offered at Charcoal Oven with the original recipe and it's called "Delores Restaurant Whatever It Is."

Quote Originally Posted by solitude View Post
    What was their "signature" desert? I can't remember now for the life of me, but whatever it was - it's now offered at Charcoal Oven with the original recipe and it's called "Delores Restaurant Whatever It Is."
    Black Bottom Pie I think although didn't know about Charcoal Oven. I always ordered Veal Parmesan.

I also enjoyed Sleepy Hollow in that same time frame. Christopher's was another great steak place.

At 23rd and Broadway there was The Pink Kitchen where I ate lunch nearly every day for a while.

The Governor's Club on Lincoln when it opened was pretty cool, too.

ValGene's.

So many great places.

Patrick's at 23rd and Western. Herman's at 16th and Classen or maybe 18th and Classen - can't remember anymore.

so what goes in a black bottom pie? -M

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    so what goes in a black bottom pie? -M
    I found this link with a quick search. I don't honestly recall though but sounds about right.

gotcha... thanks! -M

9. Default Re: Childhood Memories of OKC

Prunepicker, was Priddy's the small diner across the Sieber?

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Prunepicker, was Priddy's the small diner across the Sieber?
    Priddy's was on the NW corner of NW 11th and Hudson and the Sieber was on SW corner of NW 12th & Hudson. Both were on the west side of Hudson.

Priddy's later became Martin's.

Prunepicker

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
    I don't remember getting to go to the Priddy's on Lincoln. The one on 11th was small, about the size of Beverly's (not the big one on Lincoln). Most of the restaurants in that area were only open for breakfast and lunch.

Priddy's had the best chicken salad.

There was a cool ambiance about the restaurant's that had a lunch counter and booths.

Here are a few I remember on Lincoln and downtown.

Uncle John's Pancake House - @ 36th & Lincoln
    The Little Red Barn - @ NW 4th & Hudson
    Cherry's - 15th & Broadway ?
    Topper Burger - NW 12th & Hudson
    Anna Maudes - near Main & Walker ?
    Trade Winds Motel - north of the Capitol
    Pullum's BBQ - NE 4th & Lincoln (where Lincoln ended)
    Boulevard Cafeteria on NW 11 near Dewey ?

Prunepicker

In 1975, I worked at a little diner near downtown - either Hudson or Harvey - I think around 13th or south of 13th. It has been gone a long time, but it was set up with a long counter and a few booths. The cook was visible to the diners and all the waitresses had to give the orders by yelling to the cook the "old-fashioned diner" way - i.e. - "two men on a raft" meant something with eggs and toast, etc.

I was a waitress there for about 2 months just prior to entering the Air Force. This was the time of my life when I had hard-partying nights and days in somewhat of a cannabis-induced fog, and I always screwed up the ordering, but back then I was cute, blonde and very friendly, so the businessmen who came in liked me and tipped well. I know I usually worked from 5 AM to 10 AM.

I simply cannot remember the name or exact location of the diner! Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri101 View Post
    In 1975, I worked at a little diner near downtown - either Hudson or Harvey - I think around 13th or south of 13th. It has been gone a long time, but it was set up with a long counter and a few booths. The cook was visible to the diners and all the waitresses had to give the orders by yelling to the cook the "old-fashioned diner" way - i.e. - "two men on a raft" meant something with eggs and toast, etc.

I was a waitress there for about 2 months just prior to entering the Air Force. This was the time of my life when I had hard-partying nights and days in somewhat of a cannabis-induced fog, and I always screwed up the ordering, but back then I was cute, blonde and very friendly, so the businessmen who came in liked me and tipped well. I know I usually worked from 5 AM to 10 AM.

Could it have been Hardy's (not to be confused with the fast food Hardee's)? Hardy's was a little diner somewhere downtown that served the best steaks, salads with fresh blue cheese dressing and loaded baked potatoes. It was open in the '60's and '70's but I don't know when it closed.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri101 View Post

It sounds like it was the Busy Bee ? If so it was catty-corner from the Sieber on NW 12th and Hudson. I can't remember her name but she was short. Later it was Delgado's Mexican restaurant.

Johnnie and Julia sold the place when they retired around that time. It was then called Johnnie's Topper Burger. They were very nice people. He made the pies, too. The sink was out of view from the patrons, thank goodness.

Prunepicker

16. Default Re: Childhood Memories of OKC

Laurie and Prunepicker, I'd really appreciate it if you could contact me about the diner - email me at slackmeyer@oklahoman.com.
    Thanks - Steve

17. Default Re: Childhood Memories of OKC

I went to Christopher's for my first real date... I can remember the crisp white table linens and the ducks in the pond.

One of my favorite bygone places in OKC is the Lincoln Plaza Hotel. In it's heyday, the theatre room with the booths... the conference rooms with all the paintings of Okie history. That pool with the sprinkler was really impressive to ten year old little girls.

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    no. i'm certain he meant southpark. it was located at sw 44th & may.

-M
    Yup. That shopping center is kind of a scary place these days, really run down, sadly. There was a sort of "tent revival" church there in that space for a time, with a computer parts store next door, but I think they're all gone. I think the theater space is abandoned/unoccupied now.

It sounds like it was the Busy Bee ? If so it was catty-corner from the Sieber on NW 12th and Hudson. I can't remember her name but she was short. Later it was Delgado's Mexican restaurant.

Johnnie and Julia sold the place when they retired around that time. It was then called Johnnie's Topper Burger. They were very nice people. He made the pies, too. The sink was out of view from the patrons, thank goodness.

Prunepicker

There is a diner that sounds very much like that near the Union Bus Depot called "The Lunch Box," which was run for years by a Greek family here in OKC; it closed when the owner retired, but reopened under the same name by someone who presumably had worked their as a cook. Dunno if its the same place, but my understanding is the new owner tried to retain the old recipes, etc.

20. Default Re: Childhood Memories of OKC

What was the name of the children's clothing store on May Avenue with the little monkey in the back? Was it Tammy Lynne's? Or a different one? If I remember correctly it was right where Ruth's Sweete Justice is now.

I loved to go there - dresses!!! But in the back of the store they had a sort of circus themed room with a tiny little monkey. Scared me to death!!! Poor little guy

Prunepicker
    The Busy Bee sounds familiar! I only worked the breakfast shift, so not sure of other menu items.
    I do remember that it was a busy place and most of customers were businessmen who worked in downtown or midtown area.

Could it have been Hardy's (not to be confused with the fast food Hardee's)? Hardy's was a little diner somewhere downtown that served the best steaks, salads with fresh blue cheese dressing and loaded baked potatoes. It was open in the '60's and '70's but I don't know when it closed.
    Hardy's Steak House was where the Better Business Bureau is today. It was adjacent to what's now Film Row. I remember eating there when my father worked at Sears downtown. Hardy's had dozens of Hollywood celebritiy autographs on its walls. I remember John Wayne, Clark Gable, Charles Laughton, Betty Grable, to name a few. I have often wondered what happened to those priceless signatures when the building was razed.

What was the name of the children's clothing store on May Avenue with the little monkey in the back? Was it Tammy Lynne's? Or a different one?
    Yes, and the boy's equivalent was Guy Madison.

I recall Street's being a favored place to shop for girl's clothing. I think it was owned by the Greenberg family and I'm pretty sure the son went on to become Chairman of Bear Stearns. He must be nearly 80 or older now though.

I don't remember Priddy's downtown. I do remember eating at Cherry's though. My parents were good friends of the Cherry's. Besides the diner they owned a cafeteria. Walt Cherry was with the Oklahoma Restaurant Association for a while and that organization might have more history.

Dad knew Beverly Osborne, too, and talked about him wanting to grow a banana tree at his home off Lincoln. I think he had it growing in the swimming pool which was covered or some such thing but I've forgotten now. It seems like I can remember seeing the banana tree actually but too long ago now.

I also have vivid memories of Mr. Luis Alvarado standing ramrod straight in his very formal way and welcoming visitors to El Charrito on Paseo. He was such an elegant gentleman. I always thought that was one of the best things about going to El Charrito.

Pulliams (?) I definitely remember. It was just outstanding barbecue. It was a converted garage of a home and I remember hard packed dirt floors. Ribs were served on Wonder Bread wrappers along with a pretty good stack of white bread and plenty of sauce. If you wanted something to drink there was a machine in the middle of the room. You sat at a counter that was built out from the wall. Out front there would be Cadillacs and Lincolns parked on the street. Inside were men in suits and ties. Often someone would hug one of the cooks there I remember and a lot of people kind of knew each other it seemed.

Jumpstart and direction change (those under age 50 will probably not remember these):

Telephone exchange names; the seven/all-number system came in in early/mid- '60s; the leading two numbers remain, but who recalls what they stood for?

VIctor (84... )
    WIndsor (94...)
    CEntral (23...)
    GReenfield (47...)
    JAckson (52...)
    GArfield (42... not sure of this, but I think it was NE side)
    MUtual (68...)
    SHadyside (74...)
    SWift (79...)
    MElrose (63...)

There are probably more. For a long time the first three numbers couldn't be (or just weren't) ones or zeroes probably to avoid confusion with area codes (which used to have 0 or 1 as the second numeral). I remember 840- coming in about 1966. And this marked a partial end to trying to see if your phone number spelled out anything on the dial/keypad. 1 had no associated letters and 0 was only kind of... Z.

It used to be that WKY or KOMA (probably the latter) had call-in contests, specifying one or the other exchanges as the one(s) eligible. Not just be the first (or 50th) caller, but from a particular exchange. "Shadyside or Swift!!!" echoes in my head until this day. (My family was/is VI... and how did they know before caller ID?)

Another qualifying call-in rule was the total of your phone number...and at that time, that meant only the last five numbers. "If the digits in your phone number add up to..." We were (my parents still are) 21 by that reckoning.

I don't remember a damn thing about chemistry or math from algebra or beyond, but I could drone on on stuff like this for weeks...

Thread Information