Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Hilton Skirvin Hotel

1. Default Re: Skirvin Progress

I would go with the skirvinhilton.com date. They should know pretty close at this point.
    The Old Downtown Guy

It will take decades for Oklahoma City's
    downtown core to regain its lost gritty,
    dynamic urban character, but it's exciting
    to observe and participate in the transformation.

2. Default Re: Skirvin Progress

Quote Originally Posted by brianinok
    The Hilton website says it is scheduled to open in January 2007. The skirvinhilton.com website says it will open in February 2007. I had head it was going to be March 2007. I wonder which one is accurate?
    Wow. It's just now sinking in that this dormant beauty will open in a few months. I've never seen it in operation. I think for a lot people, stepping into this hotel for the first time (ever or in years) will be a moving experience.
    Continue the Renaissance

Default Re: Skirvin Progress

If you've never been in the Skirvin when it was in full swing, it's truly something to behold and unlike anything else in OKC. In fact, the only thing I think is close is the Great Banking Hall at FNC.

When I worked downtown in the mid-80's, the place was pretty tattered but still a fantastic place to have a nice lunch or have a cocktail.

I can't believe the place has been closed 20 years!

I can't believe the place has been closed 20 years!
    What's funny if that for most of those 20 years I just kept hearing that it flat out couldn't be done. It also baffled me because in city after city I would visit, they would all have renovated hotels of similar age and design (done with and without assistance). I truly hope that when this is done we don't hear the "it can't be done" refrain by local developers anymore.

This, The Colcord, and some places in Bricktown will hopefully end the destroy to develop mentality in the area.

Eager to open: Skirvin Hilton already booking events months before completion of $51.3M face-lift
    by Kelley Chambers
    The Journal Record
    9/27/2006

OKLAHOMA CITY – The Skirvin Hilton in downtown is buzzing with activity roughly four months before its scheduled opening date.

Workers can be found in every nook and cranny of the building, from the highest exterior point to the depths of the basement, all involved in polishing a long-neglected gem that has been a part of the skyline since 1911.

As crews work on everything from restoring moldings to getting the elevators up to code, John Williams, the hotel’s general manager, said he has no doubt that the hotel will be restored to its former glory by February, thanks to a $51.3 million face-lift.

“I feel really good about meeting the time frame,” he said.

Williams, who has been at the hotel since March, pointed out areas of the building where work was completed and gave a preview for some areas roughly discernable from what they promise to be in a few months.

The original wood in the lobby has been restored, and patched where needed, and will be stained slightly darker than the original yellowish-brown.

During the process of restoration, Williams said workers continued to find original tiles and molding that were either in disrepair or that had been covered up at one time.

At this point in the renovation, however, he said they think they have found everything that they are going to find.

“I think we’re running out of things to unearth,” he said.

A look at the exterior of the building shows cast stone restoration work on the south side of the building nearly complete and 900 new windows.

A trip to the basement reveals the hotel’s subterranean swimming pool and hot tub, which will share the space with a health club. In the past week, the basement received new sections of floor and plumbing fixtures.

“It’s amazing how awful this space was when I walked into it,” Williams said about the basement.

On the 14th floor, two ballrooms are taking shape, including the patching and repainting of original molding along the ceilings and some walls.

The Continental Room and the Venetian Room, which share the floor, are already in demand.

Vanessa Claspill, director of sales and marketing, said she been pre-selling space in the hotel’s various banquet rooms and ballrooms.

She said people usually have no hesitation about booking their events at the hotel, although the first question they often ask is “when are you opening?”

Advertising for the hotel does not begin until next month.

Claspill said despite ads, many people who have memories at the old Skirvin, are anxious to book their events there based only on a description of what they can expect from the finished product.

Williams also pointed out two other ballrooms that have just taken shape recently.

He said the Grand Ballroom and the Junior Ballroom, both on the second floor, had their ceilings installed in the last week and a half.

Williams said he is always amazed how the construction crew can turn the shell of a room into something that resembles a ballroom in such a short amount of time.

The Grand Ballroom will also have its own entrance with a marble staircase so that guests will not have to traipse through the hotel. There will also be a 150-space parking lot with valet service.

Hiring for the hotel’s staff will begin in November, and individual guest reservations are set to begin in December.

The hotel will feature 225 guest rooms, 20 of which will be suites, including a presidential suite on the 12th floor.

The hotel restoration project is the effort of the collaboration of Skirvin Partners LLC, Marcus Hotels and Resorts, and the Hilton.

Williams said that over the next few months renovations will continue, but no exact date has been set for the hotel’s opening.

He said as many of the hotel’s original features as possible have been restored to give it the sense of a modern hotel with an obvious nod to the past.

“It will definitely give you the feel it’s 1911,” he said.

Cornett celebrates anniversary of Skirvin’s 1911 opening with workers

OKLAHOMA CITY – At about 2 p.m. on Tuesday, Mayor Mick Cornett rolled a cart carrying a cake with a picture of the Skirvin Hilton made from icing to the front of the hotel. The event was to commemorate the hotel’s original opening Sept. 26, 1911, and to mark the reopening set for February 2007.

A group of about 40 workers from Flintco Construction took a break from restoration work on the hotel to eat cake with the mayor and celebrate the “Re-Birthday Party.”

Cornett thanked the workers for contributing a significant part of their lives to the $51.3 million restoration.

He said the hotel is symbolic of the city’s past.

“Without a building like this it’s easy to forget those who came before,” Cornett said. “On this very ground, our great-grandfathers worked to build this city into what it is today.”

Cornett cited the high demand for hotel rooms downtown, especially with events such as the men’s and women’s Big 12 basketball tournaments to be held here next March.

Cornett compared downtown’s current hotel situation to that of 10 years ago. In 1996 there was only one downtown hotel. Now, including the Skirvin and the soon-to-open Colcord Hotel, there will be about 1,500 to 2,000 rooms downtown.

The Skirvin has not been in operation since it closed in 1988.

– Kelley Chambers

6. Default Re: Skirvin Progress

I understand that they are planning to open the first part of February, and that parts of the hotel are essentially complete.

too bad they couldn't do the re-opening together with the 95th birthday.

8. Default Re: Skirvin Progress

But just think of the great party they will have in 5 years for the 100th anniversary!!

With the Skirvin being a luxurious hotel on Broadway and BC Clark putting an entrance on Broadway and Automobile Alley seemingly taking shape as an upscale area on Broadway...

Broadway will be getting a lot of foot traffic. With that realization, I wonder what other businesses are planning to set up shop on Broadway. Just a thought...

Patrick Guest

Forget Bricktown. Automobile Alley might just be the next Deep Ellum.

11. Default Re: Skirvin Progress

Lets only hope so.

actually, that would be good. OKC to have more than just one vibrant urban district. All other big cities do.

Its ok for one to be touristy and the other to be upscale, urban, and local. That is what I always invisioned for AAlley and it looks like it is becoming a reality.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

12. Default Re: Skirvin Progress

I think we also need to mention that the hotel will be open ahead of schedule. Everyone, from the mayor, to the construction crew, to Marcus, to those of us on here thought that getting the hotel open by the Big XII Tourney would be a tall order. In fact, I figured that they would have the rooms open and some common areas open, but that construction would still be ongoing during the Big XII. I think we need to commend the construction crew, the Skirvin Hilton general manager (and his staff), and Marcus company for getting the hotel open in February. I find that truly amazing. Not only will they be fully open for the Big XII, but they will have time to work any kinks out of the system before some very important people are staying there (that decide whether OKC gets to host the tourney again in the future).

Open during Big XII:
    Renaissance
    Sheraton
    Courtyard
    Skirvin Hilton
    Colcord
    Residence Inn??

Marriott already has a web page up for the new Residence Inn in Bricktown...

Residence Inn Oklahoma City Downtown/Bricktown: Suites and amenities for corporate travel

According to this, the hotel will be open in December.

All the hotels you listed will be open for the Big 12 Tournament.

Man! They are ahead of schedule by several months!

How nice is the Residence Inn supposed to be?

Residence Inn isn't known to be a "luxury" brand. Their rooms are basically like apartments with a living room, kitchen and bedroom. It doesn't have the reputation of extended stay places, but is functionally the same with a few upscale touches and the Marriott badge. It's significantly more expensive than the extended stay places as well. The Residence Inn will be a unique offering that downtown doesn't have so far.

16. Default Re: Skirvin Progress

Today's Oklahoman contains a very nice article by Steve Lackmeyer called "Pieces of History ... Residents respond to request for Skirvin memorabilia" at NewsOK.com | Powered by The Oklahoman and NEWS 9 ... the article notes that a "permanent display at the Skirvin Hilton Hotel" will include a bellboy's uniform from the 1930s, old photos, and some other stuff.

17. Default Re: Skirvin Progress

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Loudenback View Post
    Today's Oklahoman contains a very nice article by Steve Lackmeyer called "Pieces of History ... Residents respond to request for Skirvin memorabilia" at NewsOK.com | Powered by The Oklahoman and NEWS 9 ... the article notes that a "permanent display at the Skirvin Hilton Hotel" will include a bellboy's uniform from the 1930s, old photos, and some other stuff.
    That's a nice touch - a nod to the history of a great hotel. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Doug!

---------

As always, thanks so much Doug!

They'd better hustle if they are going to open in February.

Patrick Guest

It's looking very nice. That front facade is a beauty, and the windows sure dress the building up! Thanks for posting the pics, Doug.

BTW, I'll try to get together a tour of the Skirvin sometime after the holidays. I haven't forgotten about it.

City’s share of Skirvin renovation costs rises
    by Brian Brus
    The Journal Record
    11/29/2006

OKLAHOMA CITY – The city’s portion of funding the Skirvin Hotel’s renovation grew by $4 million Tuesday as the Oklahoma City Council agreed to cover unexpected historic repair conditions and materials cost increases blamed on Gulf Coast construction.

Council members unanimously approved dipping into the downtown tax increment finance district fund to help cover an expected $5 million shortfall. The other $1 million will be provided through tax credits.

The difference raises the city’s stake in the project to $22 million. The full renovation of the nearly 100-year-old building is valued at more than $56 million.

City Business Manager Brent Bryant said several factors in addition to Hurricane Katrina led to the reported shortage, including time itself.

“You have to remember that we’ve always been pressed to have this thing complete before the Big 12 (basketball) tournament in March. That’s always been our goal,” he said.

“We went to the council in August of ’05, and we had 50 percent (incomplete) drawings and we had to get the deal done because we have always been pressed,” he said, referring to the City Council’s approval at the time to amend the funding plan to cover a shortfall in private money.

Hurricane Katrina struck the New Orleans area shortly thereafter. Bryant said there was no way to predict the effect it would have on the construction industry months later. Massive rebuilding has driven up demand and prices for drywall, insulation, roofing materials, steel and concrete nationwide.

Bryant said the cost of historic preservation efforts in the Skirvin also increased as the project progressed. Recovering and repairing the tiling in the hotel’s restaurant, for example, proved to be a problem. And some of the columns inside the building were found to be hollow and not actually functioning as support structures.

“It’s an old building. … You just continue to find things,” Bryant said.

Skirvin Partners was willing to pay the difference, “however, it is economically advantageous to the city to provide the $4 million of additional funding,” city staff members reported to the City Council.

Should the hotel be unsuccessful, the city could conservatively expect to be unable to recoup $9.6 million if Skirvin Partners pays the $4 million difference now. But because the city is investing more public funds – secured by a subordinate mortgage as well as the tax increment finance district – the loan/lease payments and building sale proceeds in the same bad outcome reduce the city’s loss to $2.9 million. Bryant said those figures are based on “very conservative” projections of hotel occupancy rates.

“If the city provides the additional funds we stand a better chance based upon current assumptions shown above to recover more of the public assistance financing provided to the project,” Bryant’s staff reported.

Mayor Mick Cornett said he was disappointed in the change, but reiterated that circumstances in the construction industry can’t be helped.

“And it’s an old building,” he said. “Any time you start on an old building, you understand that it’s not an exact science. You don’t know exactly what will be incurred afterwards.”

Cornett said city officials didn’t feel pressured to commit to the increase, “but we felt like it was proper use of the TIF (district) dollars. And our budget department felt it was in the best interest of the city for us to be the ones to put the money in.”

He said the hotel, which had been closed since 1988, is still scheduled to reopen in February.

21. Default Re: Skirvin Progress

I love this Hotel. In the 60's and early 70's a youth group I was in had our yearly convention at the Skrivin over the Thanksgiving weekend, it always seem to rain that weekend. It was always so self contained, so know one had to leave the hotel. That is not easy when you have 2 to 3 hundred young men. I have a lot of great memories of those times, some of the best in my early life.

With the loss of so many of the great old buildings in the down town area, its great to see this one stand the test of time. I see the Skirvin as a real show piece, we will see it as the center of some great future events.

The official date for the grand opening was announced today at the OKC 29 Rotary luncheon. The Skirivn will open on February 26, 2007. The representative for the group restoring it said it is practically finished now, but there will still be a lot to do before opening.

Thread Information