Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Hilton Skirvin Hotel

Default Re: Skirvin Progress

Can anyone say, Grandiose?

2. Default Re: Skirvin Progress

This will be a great way to impress all the Big XII big-wigs. Looks amazing!

3. Default Re: Skirvin Progress

Very nice Steve Lackmeyer articles in yesterday's and today's: Here's the link to today's article

Legacy that refused to end
    Even at age 84, hotelier W.B. Skirvin was thinking about the future

By Steve Lackmeyer
    Business Writer

W.B. Skirvin was ready to celebrate. At age 84, he was an hotelier, again.
    For six years, he had been battling his children over control of his landmark Skirvin Hotel, and the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals had reversed an earlier ruling against him that had placed the hotel in receivership of a Dallas hotel operator.

Skirvin still had so many things left to finish. He had always planned to add another 14 floors to the Skirvin Tower. Maybe he could still convince family and friends to pool their resources for one last venture. They had accomplished so much together over the decades, including huge oil strikes at Spindle Top in Texas, starting a town from scratch, and of course, the hotel.

But on March 12, 1944, business would have to wait; Skirvin decided to join his friend, bar owner Earl Saxon, for a celebratory Sunday afternoon drive.

Heading west along NW 63 in Oklahoma City, their excursion was violently cut off by a hit-and-run driver who forced them off the road and into a creek bed near Grand Boulevard. Skirvin went through the windshield, leaving him badly injured with a cracked skull, broken ankle and fractured right arm. Skirvin's daughter, the internationally renown "hostess with the mostest,” Perle Mesta, rushed back to the city and discovered the old man stubbornly confident in his recovery.

"When I get out of this damn-fool place, I'm going to head straight for Arizona and get into the cattle business,” Skirvin told Mesta and sister Marguerite Tyson three days after the crash — according to Mesta's biography. Marguerite responded that a ranch was for sale next to one she owned along the Hassayampa River in Arizona. Skirvin's face brightened and he quizzed his son, William, about the property's geology. Maybe they would pool together their resources, and strike oil one more time.

Throughout his life, Skirvin was a risk-taker.

Skirvin was a farm-implements salesman from Michigan who created a new town, Alta Loma, about 18 miles north of Galveston. According to a published family history, Skirvin distributed pamphlets showing a big red strawberry to friends and families in "frozen” Michigan, inviting them to "the sunshine in Texas.”

Skirvin sought similar opportunities in Oklahoma Terrority when it was opened to settlement. He and his brother-in-law Orrin Shepherd boasted they rode "on top” of the first train car into Guthrie and staked some of the town's first lots.

"Father's 300-room hobby”
    Just as Oklahoma was becoming a state, life for the Skirvin family was about to be turned upside down.

Skirvin's wife, Hattie, died and Perle was forced into the position of taking care of her younger siblings, Marguerite and William. And a call from Col. Ned Green, son of a New York financier, prompted Skirvin to consider venturing into the hotel business. Green had surveyed all of Oklahoma City and determined four lots owned by Skirvin at First (now Park Avenue) and Broadway would be the ideal site for a hotel.

"The offer was substantial and father was almost ready to agree to the sale when Green happened to mention that his mother planned to build the biggest hotel in Oklahoma City on the land,” Mesta later wrote. "When father heard this he immediately turned down the offer.”

"That Hetty Green is no dumbbell,” Skirvin told his daughter. "If she thinks that's a good site for a hotel, then it probably is.”

Skirvin called a friend, architect Solomon Layton, and within a week they were working on plans for a six-story hotel.

"One night in September, father went over to Sol Layton's office to celebrate the completion of the fifth floor framework,” Mesta wrote. "One drink led to another, and Sol kept insisting that at the rate Oklahoma City was growing, a six-story hotel would be far too small. By 3 a.m., father thought so, too, and the next day he increased his order to obtain enough of the Malakoff brick to cover eight stories.”

Several weeks later, the pair celebrated again with similar results. When the hotel opened, it was 10 stories high with two towers and 300 rooms.

Family strain
    As time passed, Skirvin continued to add onto the hotel, increasing it to 14 floors and adding a third tower. Meanwhile, his daughters went abroad to seek their own fortunes while son William stayed close by to help oversee the hotel and oil interests.
    Perle married wealthy businessman George Mesta. Marguerite went to New York and drew positive reviews as a stage and screen actress before abandoning acting and marrying Robert Adams. When that marriage ended in divorce, Marguerite returned home and lived at the hotel for several years with daughter, Betty.

"Granddad had a marvelous sense of humor,” Marguerite's daughter, Betty Ellis, said last week from her Maryland home. "He was always in the lobby, or in the coffee shop. He would say to run a hotel, it's important to know your guests.”

When Mesta returned to visit, the head-strong socialite sometimes clashed with her equally stubborn father.

"He referred to her as ‘the General,' which she didn't like at all,” Ellis said.

It was also Perle Mesta who filed the first lawsuit. The pair had invested together in oil fields in Oklahoma City in 1930 and discovered wells that had the potential of producing up to 40,000 barrels a day. But in 1944, Skirvin wanted to again expand the hotel — this time with a new tower across Broadway. He envisioned a 28-story tower, but construction was delayed years and the building was capped off at 14 floors as the economy worsened in the depth of the Depression.

Mesta wrote the lawsuits began with "heated and prolonged” arguments over Skirvin's desire to reinvest proceeds from their oil properties. He resented Mesta hiring an attorney to settle their disputes.

According to a 1949 Time article, heirs may also have been concerned that Skirvin had plans to divert their inheritance to a personal secretary. Skirvin lost the first round of court battles, and the hotel was placed into receivership while the dispute was to be heard at the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. Time reported one judge lectured the entire clan: "You Skirvins ought to be ashamed of yourselves.”

The 10th U.S. Circuit judges' ruling, issued on March 11, 1944, rejected arguments W.B. Skirvin, and his advanced age, was responsible for the hotel's misfortunes a decade earlier, and noted the entire economy was depressed throughout the 1930s.

"Age alone of an owner or manager of a property is not enough to warrant the appointment of a receiver or the continuation of an existing receivership,” the judges stated. "W.B. Skirvin is more than 80 years of age and if the properties are restored their owners, he may again become the active manager.”

Lying in his hospital bed, Skirvin showed no animosity toward the children he just vanquished in court. Mesta's biography said she begged for forgiveness, her sister, Marguerite, and brother William at her side.

"I've forgiven you,” she quoted him as saying. "There's nothing but love in my heart for all three of you children; you're all I have.”

Two weeks after the crash, Skirvin was dead. Despite never having taken an interest in religion, he had struck up a friendship with William Alexander, the minister at First Christian Church. The minister spoke at the funeral of Skirvin's generosity, his spirit and wit. And he shared how Skirvin — dying — demanded a nurse help him shave so he could take her out for a night on the town.

"As Reverend Bill told the story, many of the people in the chapel nodded their heads,” Mesta wrote. "Yes, indeed, this was their old friend Bill Skirvin speaking — himself to the end.”
    Yesterday's article: Here's the link

Former workers return to hotel
    Skirvin hires more than 200 at job fair

By Steve Lackmeyer
    Business Writer

Ronda Smith has been waiting years for the moment to apply for a job at the Skirvin Hilton and a chance to return to the kitchen where she first got the "bug” to be in food service operations.

With the hotel's job fair ending today, 232 have been hired after being interviewed personally by General Manager John Williams. Two of those hires — Smith and Larry McNeal — are well acquainted with the 96-year-old downtown landmark.

McNeal worked at the hotel in 1969 while in high school as a busboy, and then between 1979 and 1981 in the banquet department. He will be returning as the hotel's morning banquet captain.

Smith, on the job Friday, was a teenage room-service clerk and cashier, and was at her post when the hotel closed in 1988.

Rumors abounded that year the hotel was in distress.

"There were employees who would say to cash your check quickly, or it wouldn't clear,” Smith said. "One morning they called everybody into the ballroom and said the hotel was closing ... the staff was in tears.

"There's nothing like the atmosphere downtown at night, the lights down, employees in the kitchen joking with each other, and then it's a performance in the dining room,” Smith said. "There was an ambiance you don't see in this city.”

Smith, who later worked with parents managing McDonald's restaurants in Yukon and at various banquet operations, said she began eyeing opportunities to return to the Skirvin several years ago when city leaders first looked at how to reopen the hotel.

She first contacted Williams' office in September, and was in line at the job fair Monday morning at Santa Fe Plaza.

Now she's facing a full calendar of events that include 50 weddings, and is impressed with the $54 million renovation.

"It's amazing what they've done,” Smith said. "It's still beautiful.”

Retail has been announced for the Skirvin, I think they could/should of done better. She has a shop in Bricktown already that only appeals to a certain niche, don't flood the market, plus she might scare people away with her clown costume.

Painted Door will open in Skirvin Hilton
    By Heidi Rambo Centrella - 2/1/2007

It’s official. The boutique gift shop opening in the Skirvin Hilton this month has been decided.

Avis Scaramucci will open a second Painted Door just a few blocks away from her existing location, which will have opened almost two years ago to the day, Feb. 11, 2005.

Leasing approximately 500 square feet in the historic hotel, Scaramucci says she will offer some of the same merchandise as is already available at her current space, but also will offer exclusive Skirvin merchandise to her new inventory. Said items include the Skirvin bed throw with its history and photo weaved into the fabric.

Scaramucci also will offer a line of jewelry not available in her current location, in addition to clothing and made-in-Oklahoma products, which are available in the Bricktown store.

“I can’t think of a more opportune time to show some of the wonderful things that we in Oklahoma do in such a famous hotel, and we’re blessed to have that reopening occurring when it’s our 100-year birthday,” she said. “What a better time?”

While Scaramucci would not disclose the dollar amount attached to the build-out and inventory of her Skirvin boutique, she did confirm it would be a considerable financial commitment.

“I have already made such a financial commitment to Oklahoma City in the business that I currently do, and I have seen what I have done grow, and I see Oklahoma City continuing to grow, so there was really not any hesitation to continue investing in our city,” she said. “If I had had bad experiences, why would I have moved forward? So this is just a continued investment of money, my heart and my time.

“And this is a unique opportunity unlike any other retail opportunity in the entire metro area because there is just one Skirvin.”

The new Painted Door will employ three people and open the same day as the hotel, Feb. 26. Hours of operation will be 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Saturday, and the boutique will be closed Sundays.

In addition to serving her local customers, Scaramucci says she looks forward to mingling with visitors to the Oklahoma City area.

“All of my career, I’ve never had the opportunity to be right there in place among the traveler in our city,” she said. “Although I believe there will be lots of locals in that hotel because it’s such a local memory and everybody is so excited about it and will be glad to once again come to the Skirvin, the traveler will be staying there in the rooms. So I’ll be right there in the middle.”

Somebody had metioned Balliets and that would have been a great fit IMO.

They could easily just sell perfumes, some jewerly and some clothing gift items. I wonder if they ever seriously considered it.

6. Default Re: Skirvin Progress

Oh well. Seems like if there's just one retail space it should just be gift shop, as opposed to a clothing store like Balliets.

What were you hoping for, Metro?

7. Default Re: Skirvin Progress

Thanks, Doug. I can't wait to see the place fully furnished. As for The Painted Door, a gift shop is appropriate, but I hope she stocks more merchandise for men, MIO products, and some OKC clothing that actually looks good. A magazine stand would with nice vending goods and traveler necessities would also be in order.
    Continue the Renaissance

8. Default Re: Skirvin Progress

I hope the MIO stuff and Oklahoma souveniers are not trashy or cheesy. That wouldn't fit The Skirvin or it's guests.

9. Default Re: Skirvin Progress

Quote Originally Posted by MalibuSooner View Post
    Somebody had metioned Balliets and that would have been a great fit IMO.

They could easily just sell perfumes, some jewerly and some clothing gift items. I wonder if they ever seriously considered it.
    That was the early word that I heard mumblings of...

I'm sure the Skirvin Painted Door will be very nice, as is everything Avis is a part of.

There is room under the Skirven in the Underground. However, the Skirven has no plans to reopen this area. I think they should put Starbucks, a gift shop, and a high-end clothing store in this space. Good for business in the Underground, the Skirven, and the Business District.

11. Default Re: Skirvin Progress

Eh, I'm pretty sure they've converted it to office space for the hotel, and I doubt a high end clothing store wants to locate in the basement of a hotel. A basement's a basement no matter how much you fix it up. Nowhere near enough visibility for something like that. Little cafes and shop are one thing, but we won't see high-end retail in the Underground any time soon.

12. Default Re: Skirvin Progress

Quote Originally Posted by ETL View Post
    There is room under the Skirven in the Underground. However, the Skirven has no plans to reopen this area. I think they should put Starbucks, a gift shop, and a high-end clothing store in this space. Good for business in the Underground, the Skirven, and the Business District.
    The Skirvin's offices, pool, hot tub, and workout rooms are located in the basement. I don't remember seeing any unused space.

Ok, well it could have changed since I read that about 4 months ago. It could be office space now. I don't know.

14. Default Re: Skirvin Progress

ETL, I'm pretty sure that I showed these in my post last Saturday. Here's the basement, again.

Not shown are workout rooms and locker areas and a shower or 2, I think. Larger images are available in my blog post.

Ok, thanks.

Skirvin ready for furniture delivery by Kelley Chambers
    The Journal Record
    2/5/2007 OKLAHOMA CITY – The Skirvin Hilton Hotel began looking more like the restored hotel it is on Friday evening when crews began delivering the first round of furniture and appointments to two floors of guest rooms.

Nearly every piece of furniture that will define the Skirvin’s look began arriving in October and has been stored at Armstrong Logistics in southwest Oklahoma City.

Now, less than a month before the hotel is set to reopen, crews from Armstrong will begin making night and weekend deliveries so they do not have to share elevators with the construction crews working during the day.

Tom Connell, vice president of Armstrong, said all of the furnishings should be installed by the week of Feb. 19. The hotel is set to open Feb. 26.

“The whole week of the 19th you’ll see a transformation from a construction site to a hotel,” Connell said.

In Armstrong’s 47,000-square-foot warehouse, the Skirvin items have been occupying about 37,000 square feet of the space.

The weekend plan called for Armstrong to move furniture into the hotel for the 10th and 11th floor guestrooms and to be done by Sunday evening. Connell said 20 to 30 crew members will be working on the Skirvin project at any given time.

The Skirvin also announced Friday a gift shop operator for the hotel had been selected.

Avis Scaramucci, owner of the Painted Door gift shop in Bricktown, said the shop in the Skirvin will also be called Painted Door and will open the same day as the hotel.

She will feature boutique-style items as well as some specific Skirvin and Oklahoma items.

17. Default Re: Skirvin Progress

Very very nice article by Steve Lackmeyer in today's Sunday Okahoman on Dan James & his family vis a vis the Skirvin ... Lackmeyer's Article

Here's a video just posted on newsok.com that shows some of the pre-opening prep:

NewsOK.com | Powered by The Oklahoman and NEWS 9

And there's also a podcast by Steve Lackmeyer (mentions a special paper section on Sunday):

http://downloads.newsok.com/podcasts/f21skirvin.mp3

Any word on a grand-opening celebration or ceremony open to the public?

-Clay

I'm glad this will be open in time for the Big 12 tournament, I thought it would be delayed. Those coming to the tourney and staying at the Skirvin will be very impressed indeed, also the visitors at the Colcord. Now all downtown needs is more of a boutique hotel, like the one once planned for the canal on Mickey Mantle, and a large upscale highrise hotel like Grand Hyatt or Westin right by the Ford Center overlooking the Myriad Gardens!

21. Default Re: Skirvin Progress

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Now all downtown needs is more of a boutique hotel...
    You don't get more boutique than the Colcord.

22. Default Re: Skirvin Progress

Dan Mahoney, Public Relations Consultant for the Skirvin Hilton (Dan works with the Gooden Group public relations firm) has put together a marvelous collection of links and images from vintage to current times, including images of the Skirvin that most of us (me included) have never seen before! It's great stuff ... and, to answer your question, YALC, yes, the Monday opening is open to the public! BE THERE!

Dan's "on-line press kit" is here: danmahoney2 - Skirvin Hilton Hotel online press kit

man i wish I could go on the grand opening but I'll be on my honeymoon

[QUOTE=Doug Loudenback;85219]and, to answer your question, YALC, yes, the Monday opening is open to the public! BE THERE!

Noon on Monday, right?

-Clay

25. Default Re: Skirvin Progress

Where is the honeymoon?

Thread Information