Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Southmoore Sabercats

1. Default Southmoore Sabercats

I know this may be old news to some, but if you didn't know the name of the high school in Moore will be Southmoore Sabercats. What do you think about it? I think it has a nice ring to it, and I guess it makes sense to call it Southmoore since the other one is Westmoore. I also guess it makes sense to stick with the "cat" themed mascot.

Default Re: Southmoore Sabercats

well, it doesn't really matter... westmoore will always be the 'best' moore. heh. sorry, that's my alma mater. moore definitely needed to keep with the cat theme and i'm glad they stuck with it. with a third highschool, i wonder how that'll change the whole politics of moore war... -M

Yes! I was on a committee to help decide the name, mascot, and colors about three months ago. The colors will be Navy, Red, and Vegas Gold (basically white gold), but I forgot the order of them. I am particularly pleased because everything that I pushed went through. Just be glad that it was not the SantaFe Wildcats or the Heartland Pumas. Those were stupid. lol :spin:

4. Default Re: Southmoore Sabercats

Quote Originally Posted by mmm
    well, it doesn't really matter... westmoore will always be the 'best' moore.
    ROCK ON!!!

But yeah, I think Moore got one right with the naming this time.

The heartland term needs to be retired. It as about as worn out as Barry Switzer endorsements, the Macarena and spandex.

6. Default Re: Southmoore Sabercats

Quote Originally Posted by mmm
    well, it doesn't really matter... westmoore will always be the 'best' moore. heh. sorry, that's my alma mater. moore definitely needed to keep with the cat theme and i'm glad they stuck with it. with a third highschool, i wonder how that'll change the whole politics of moore war... -M
    I'm a Moore alum and always thought they should have named Westmoore..Worstmoore. haha

I heard they were close to going with the Bengals as a mascot. Santa Fe was okay, but there's already an Edmond Santa Fe. I also heard that Centennial was also thrown around as a name. Would have been kind of fitting being that it would have opened during our state's centennial. Heartland would have been horrible.

grrr... them's fightin' words. at least you didn't say we were the 'rich kids'... i always hated that one.

as for 'santa fe' moore already has an elementary school named that. and i totally agree, heartland would've just been goofy. honestly, for the last several years the only name i've heard tossed around was southmoore and i think that was the best fit. as for the mascot, all things considered, sabercats sounds like it was the best name that was being thrown around.

Centennial is the name of a new high school in OKC.

9. Default Re: Southmoore Sabercats

Quote Originally Posted by ETL
    Centennial is the name of a new high school in OKC.
    I have not heard of Centennial High School in Oklahoma City. Where is it?

Keith Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chrisok
    I'm a Moore alum and always thought they should have named Westmoore..Worstmoore. haha

I heard they were close to going with the Bengals as a mascot. Santa Fe was okay, but there's already an Edmond Santa Fe. I also heard that Centennial was also thrown around as a name. Would have been kind of fitting being that it would have opened during our state's centennial. Heartland would have been horrible.
    I'm a Moore Alumni myself (1979). WestMoore is "ok," but Moore High School is THE high school in Moore. I even still know the school fight song.

Moore, Moore, school we all adore, M O O R E,
    Red, royal blue, faithful, always true,
    we'll be together whatever the weather, lions and lionettes too,
    oh, Moore high, for you we'll always try and may we bring honor to our school,
    we're going to fight, fight, fight, for victory,
    for MHS we'll do or die.........FIGHT!

The main reason I remember this song is because I was in the band, and we played it constantly.

11. Default Re: Southmoore Sabercats

"Centennial" replaces "Eisenhower" as the name of the high school east of both old and new versions of John Marshall.

12. Default Re: Southmoore Sabercats

Quote Originally Posted by Keith
    I'm a Moore Alumni myself (1979). WestMoore is "ok," but Moore High School is THE high school in Moore. I even still know the school fight song.

Moore, Moore, school we all adore, M O O R E,
    Red, royal blue, faithful, always true,
    we'll be together whatever the weather, lions and lionettes too,
    oh, Moore high, for you we'll always try and may we bring honor to our school,
    we're going to fight, fight, fight, for victory,
    for MHS we'll do or die.........FIGHT!

The main reason I remember this song is because I was in the band, and we played it constantly.
    Keith this post could have been written by me!! I also graduated from Moore in '79 and was in the band! One of my fondest memories of the band was at home games where we would enter in to the stadium with just the drum line playing the cadence as we would march in, going under the stadium seats. The feel of that reverberating through me always gave me a goosebumps.

I like the name SaberCats, though I wll always be partial to our Lions!

13. Default Re: Southmoore Sabercats

Okay, another Westmoore Jaguar (early 90's and in the band as well) here. I was a member of the first full graduating class (iow, to go all three grades) and a cool thing about that was having the opportunity to vote for the mascot and colors.

I think it was dry to call the school Southmoore. It's great to have a cat mascot, but the direction naming is so boring. Still, I'm sure the name will make its own identity as the name Westmoore did. Southmoore Sabercats has that nice alliterative sound too.

It is Westmoore that rules the district although Southmoore will probably better us both.

BTW, I loved that cadence through the stadium too. OBA was the best, though.
    Continue the Renaissance

14. Default Re: Southmoore Sabercats

Another Jaguar here as well. Class of 1990. The second graduating class.

15. Default Re: Southmoore Sabercats

Quote Originally Posted by floater
    Okay, another Westmoore Jaguar (early 90's and in the band as well) here. I was a member of the first full graduating class (iow, to go all three grades) and a cool thing about that was having the opportunity to vote for the mascot and colors.

I think it was dry to call the school Southmoore. It's great to have a cat mascot, but the direction naming is so boring. Still, I'm sure the name will make its own identity as the name Westmoore did. Southmoore Sabercats has that nice alliterative sound too.

It is Westmoore that rules the district although Southmoore will probably better us both.

BTW, I loved that cadence through the stadium too. OBA was the best, though.
    I just hope that when the local retailers (e.g. Wal-Mart) begin to sell memoribilia they actually spell the school's name as it was inteded: Southmoore. Not like when they spell Westmoore as "West Moore". I know it's petty, but that just drove me crazy every time I saw it like that. It's Westmoore. All one word. No capitalization of the M.

Westmoore will always be the best Moore.

I am a Jaguar as well class of 93. One thing I will never forget is when the drumline would play in locker island after first hour.

As soon as the bell rang after first hour the drumline would strike up. It was so cool because you could here it all over the school. I can still hear that beat in my mind to this day.

17. Default Re: Southmoore Sabercats

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid
    I just hope that when the local retailers (e.g. Wal-Mart) begin to sell memoribilia they actually spell the school's name as it was inteded: Southmoore. Not like when they spell Westmoore as "West Moore". I know it's petty, but that just drove me crazy every time I saw it like that. It's Westmoore. All one word. No capitalization of the M.

Yeah, that bugged me too.

OklaCity, I was a senior the year that drumline performance in center island happened. You must have been a sophomore. We were gearing up for OBA. As a thorough bandnerd (hehe), it was great to see the other students dazzled and excited from the performance.
    Continue the Renaissance

way too many westmoore folks on here

My buddy calls my side Poor Moore...but I worked as a banker in the West Moore area for several years and let me tell you...Many do have higher incomes over there...but higher debt as well...still 5 or 6 paychecks away from going broke as many of us in poor moore are

I would say in terms of net worth it's close to a draw

Those that call us Poor Moore have not been east of Bryant.

Centennial is also a new elementary school in Edmond.

mikejones Guest

I think its ok to be called the Soutmoore Sabercats and all, but I definately disagree with the colors. The gold is an alright idea, but the Moore Public School system consists of too much red and blue. I think we should take the color red and blue, fuse them together to get purple, and add black and white resulting in a color pattern of Purple, Black and White. Just imagine the football uniforms looking like the Baltimore Ravens! That is tight!

They went with red as one of the colors b/c that is the common color within the two current schools.

Same with gray in the Edmond schools and black in the Norman schools.

A few interesting tidbits come to mind (oh, and by the way, I'm a Moore '82 grad myself).

* Now the sports folks get to figure out how to schedule THREE different teams into ONE stadium (or will Southmoore get its own?)

* Will Southmoore's districting hurt Westmoore's or Moore's athletic teams more? My trick knee says Moore.

* How many Moore Wars will we have now? Three?

* Moore Classic vs Westmoore
    * Moore Classic vs Southmoore
    * Westmoore vs Southmoore

* and which will be the REAL Moore War?

-SoonerDave

New Moore grad: '06.

I think Southmoore will have its own stadium, along with a new auditorium with the stage and everything.

I personally expect that MHS vs. WHS will still be "the" Moore War for a few years. The tradition is far too strong for a new school to change it so quickly.

Does anyone know when this school is supposed to open?

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    A few interesting tidbits come to mind (oh, and by the way, I'm a Moore '82 grad myself).

* Now the sports folks get to figure out how to schedule THREE different teams into ONE stadium (or will Southmoore get its own?)

* Will Southmoore's districting hurt Westmoore's or Moore's athletic teams more? My trick knee says Moore.

* How many Moore Wars will we have now? Three?

* Moore Classic vs Westmoore
    * Moore Classic vs Southmoore
    * Westmoore vs Southmoore

* and which will be the REAL Moore War?

-SoonerDave

The Putnam City District has been pulling this off for years, don't know why Moore can't?

Thread Information