Widgets Magazine

Thread: Bricktown curfew?

Default Bricktown curfew?

Bricktown curfew law scheduled for review

By Steve Lackmeyer
    The Oklahoman

A new Bricktown curfew ordinance will be considered in two weeks by the Oklahoma City Council in response to requests by the entertainment district's merchants and developers that teens not be allowed to visit after 11 p.m.
    City Manager Jim Couch told the council they will be asked to determine the area to be covered by the curfew, and whether it should be effective seasonally or year-round.

The Bricktown Association, representing more than 60 merchants and property owners, unanimously voted last week to request an 11 p.m. curfew to deal with unruly teens late at night. Merchants' worst fears were realized last month when two people were injured in three different shootings after midnight. Two people, ages 14 and 17, were arrested in the attacks.

"We do know there are issues down there," Couch said. "It's very critical in my mind that Bricktown be safe, and it be perceived as being safe."

Police already were placing extra officers on the streets before the July 30 shootings, and had instituted temporary road blocks after 11 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays to prevent cruising. Police Chief Bill Citty welcomes the possibility of lowering the curfew, which is now at 1 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays citywide.

"It gives officers another tool to deal with the activities of juveniles who really don't have any place to go to in Bricktown other than the streets," Citty said. "This allows officers to really tell juveniles there is nothing for them to do this late at night if you're not over 21."

Ward 7 Councilwoman Willa Johnson said Bricktown merchants and developers aren't without blame for the recent spike in violence. She recalled police scaled back their presence in the entertainment district in response to merchants and club owners who felt they were too visible.

"It could have been prevented, I believe, if they had allowed the police presence to stay in place," Johnson said.

Citty said Tuesday merchants and developers have been cooperative with recent police efforts.

"We've all worked together closely and came to some answers on how to ensure the safety of the public in Bricktown without hurting business for merchants," Citty said.

Johnson, whose Ward 7 includes Bricktown, also worried about how a Bricktown curfew might be enforced.

"We need to be very, very careful in how we craft these laws and enforce these curfews," Johnson said. "It could appear that some folks are being looked at very carefully while others are not."

Bricktown Association Chairman Jim Cowan said he would prefer to see a new curfew enforced throughout the year.

"If you tell people you can't come down here in the summer, but you can other times of the year, that's defeating the purpose of putting it in place at all. You might as well make it year-round and say these folks don't need to be out on the streets whether it's Christmastime or summertime after 11 p.m."

Cowan applauded city staff's quick response.

"I don't think it can happen quick enough," Cowan said. "It needs to be put in place as soon as it's legally possible."

2. Default Re: Bricktown curfew?

I wish someone could please tell me how a curfew is a crime deterrent. If you are willing to break the law and carry a conceiled weapon, then I imagine you are willing to break a curfew law. Crime is a risk you assume anywhere you are at 2am in the morning, whether it be in the Inner-city neighborhoods, Bricktown, or the suburbs.

Having a more significant police officer presence is a sign of good progress, but a stricter curfew for teens, and one at 11pm? That sounds a bit ridiculous to me.

Default Re: Bricktown curfew?

I think 10 or 11pm is too early. I can go for 12am only if they are NOT accompanied by a parent. I think families and tourists should not be punished for a late concert, baseball,basketball, or hockey game, or wanting to see a late movie.

4. Default Re: Bricktown curfew?

Bricktown curfew takes effect

By John Estus
    The Oklahoman

An 11 p.m. curfew for minors in Bricktown is effective immediately.

The Oklahoma City Council unanimously approved the curfew today and will later consider imposing the curfew citywide. The current citywide curfew is midnight during the week and 1 a.m. on weekends.

"As Bricktown has matured, so has the city's priority to make it a safe place to be," City Manager Jim Couch said.

The curfew applies to people under the age of 18 and will be in effect year round. It also provides an exemption for minors walking back to their cars from Harkins Movie Theaters, athletic events at Bricktown Ballpark and the Ford Center and city-sponsored events.

Gun violence involving teenagers in Bricktown last month prompted the council to enact the curfew. Bricktown merchants and Police Chief Bill Citty have said they support the new law.

5. Default Re: Bricktown curfew?

I'm at least glad that they are making exception for people leaving Harkins, the Ballpark, and the Ford Center, etc.

Soonerliberal, I think the idea is that this will weed out the kids that don't want trouble. In other words, if a teenager is loitering in Bricktown at 12:30, he's very likely the kind of kid that the cops need to at least be questioning.

Patrick Guest

I think the law will be enforced. We have a complete substation dedicated to the Bricktown area.

7. Default Re: Bricktown curfew?

I think now that they have added the exceptions to the rule with the movie theatre, that seems fair enough, even though I don't think it will be effective. I mean, how many 21 year olds look much younger? I can think of plenty. That will just waste police officers' time, imo.

Also, I can't seem to leave the idea that if I am willing to carry a concealed weapon in Bricktown and potentially shoot someone, will a curfew really be enough motivation to stop me?

I think a significant police presence is the easiest and best motivating factor to deter crime in public locations.

8. Default Re: Bricktown curfew?

Whew! That had me worried for a minute.. honestly, I doubt they would harass families walking back from movies or games, concerts etc even without that excemption but it's one less thing to worry about.

I think it will be good. After reading about all of the recent news and the problems they have been having, I wasn't too excited about going downtown. Now, I think they are committed to keeping the area safe.

But, I'm not sure it is only the young kids causing the problems...

I agree, more police presence is the answer.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

Keith Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Karried
    Whew! That had me worried for a minute.. honestly, I doubt they would harass families walking back from movies or games, concerts etc even without that excemption but it's one less thing to worry about.

I think it will be good. After reading about all of the recent news and the problems they have been having, I wasn't too excited about going downtown. Now, I think they are committed to keeping the area safe.

But, I'm not sure it is only the young kids causing the problems...

I agree, more police presence is the answer.
    I believe more police presence is the answer also, however, I also support the new curfew. On the news tonight, Chief Citty already advised the citizens that they are not going to start throwing curfew violators in jail. He said if officers spot a curfew violator, they will politely ask then to leave the Bricktown area.

Teens with their families, or teens that are getting off work, are the exceptions to the curfew.

I think 11 PM is a good time, mainly because most everything that a teenager can be involved with in Bricktown is already closed.

Patrick Guest

I think the only effect this will have is it will allow the police to crack down on kids hanging around for no good reason, whatsoever. They're not looking for kids that are out behaving responsibly, watching movies, etc. They're looking for the Crossroads Mall crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick
    I think the only effect this will have is it will allow the police to crack down on kids hanging around for no good reason, whatsoever. They're not looking for kids that are out behaving responsibly, watching movies, etc. They're looking for the Crossroads Mall crowd.
    How do the police know whether you're hanging around "for no reason whatsoever"?

If you're hanging around to sell drugs, isn't that a reason?

What ever they can do to help keep crime to a minimum is alright by me since I work down here in Bricktown and don't get off till midnight on Friday nights!!

Used judiciously, I think it will be a good tool in the police officer's toolbelt.

Thread Information