Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Ted's Cafe Escondido

Default Re: Ted's Cafe Escondido

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Interesting, thanks for the info. And I said "year or so" based on Martin's post that said they opened in 1984 and Cocina de Mino took over in 1986.
    Read Martin's post again, they opened in 1986 and Ted's moved there in 1991, so that's between four and five years. I honestly don't know how long we ate there, but I do know I where I was (work) between 1985 and 1987 and I was eating there regularly because they were very convenient for lunch. I was just South of Baptist hospital.
    C. T.

Heh, I see the problem - I'm talking about May Cafe and you're talking about Cocina De Mino.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Heh, I see the problem - I'm talking about May Cafe and you're talking about Cocina De Mino.
    Got me on that one! What is/where is(was)/when is "May Cafe"?
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Got me on that one! What is/where is(was)/when is "May Cafe"?
    C. T.
    According to Martin's article, was where Cocina De Mino was and Ted's is. Guess they went out of business, and Cocina De Mino moved in, hadn't heard of them until I read Martin's article.

Press release:

Local Favorite to Remodel Edmond Restaurant Ted’s Cafe Escondido will add full bar with seating

EDMOND, OKLA. - Ted’s Café Escondido has announced plans to completely remodel their location at 801 E Danforth in Edmond. The Danforth location was the second Ted’s location to be opened, twelve years after the original Ted’s location at NW 68th and May Avenue.

“We recognized the need to invest in our infrastructure and stay current with our guests’ expectations. We have developed a vast cocktail menu over the past year to go far beyond the margarita and beer menu we have been known for in the past, and we’re excited to introduce our new offerings to our guests in Edmond.” said Ted’s Vice President of Operations, David Foxx.

“With the edition of a seat-yourself bar and the refreshed cocktail menu, we’re giving our guests a place to relax and enjoy their drinks, as well as our made from scratch food.” Construction will begin on Monday, August 12 and expected completion is Sunday, August 25.

During this time, Ted’s Taco Truck will be in the parking lot of the Danforth location and will be selling select menu items from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and 4:30p.m. to 8:00 p.m. each day while the location is closed for remodeling.

The restaurant will reopen on Monday, August 26th with a ribbon cutting courtesy of the Edmond Chamber of Commerce. A two-week long grand re-opening celebration will follow with daily giveaways, as well as the option to register to win a $500 Ted’s gift card.

“We want to remind our guests how important they are to us, and what better way than here, where we got our start,” said Foxx.

“These giveaways are just a little token of our appreciation and a way for us to let our guests celebrate our success alongside our team.”

Updates on the remodel will be shared on the Ted’s social media accounts throughout the process.

this line gave me brain cancer:

"With the edition of a seat-yourself bar..."

Uptown/23rd Ted's Cafe Escondido

Ted's to bring new restaurant concept to Uptown

Ted's Cafe Escondido will be taking space formerly occupied by Pizza23 and Orange Leaf and will be opening a new fast casual concept.

Orange Leaf went out of business last year and Pizza23 recently announced their permanent closure and vacated the space.

The following is from a press release:

Ted’s Café Escondido announced today it will be opening a new restaurant concept for the brand, with the first location set to open this summer in the historic Uptown 23rd District. The new concept, ‘Ted’s Tacos and Cantina,’ will be located at 600 NW 23rd Street.

“This concept is something we have been discussing and planning for the past couple years, long before the recent pandemic hit our restaurant industry so hard,” David Foxx, chief operations officer for Ted’s, said. “This new concept not only allows us to enter the fast casual market, but also allows us to offer new dining options, such as contactless ordering and patio seating, that we know guests are looking for in this new era of dining out.”

Ted’s Tacos and Cantina’s fast casual setting will include counter service, a full service bar and dog-friendly patio seating. The menu includes several unique specialty tacos, loaded waffle fries, build your own burritos, and sheet pan nachos, perfect for sharing. Each meal will also come with a complimentary order of Ted’s famous chips, salsa and cheese sauce.

“We’re excited to finally break ground and begin to see this new concept come to life, and we’re looking forward to joining the Uptown community and being a part of the massive growth that is happening in this area,” Foxx added.

The new Cantina is currently under construction, with a goal of opening later this summer.

Vacated Pizza23 space

8. Default Re: Ted's Cafe Escondido

Interesting! The Ted's name will probably help it get some business.

And right next door to Big truck tacos. Some good Mexican food on that corner now

Nice addition

One of the best patios around that was always underutilized before.

Ugh, another Ted's. Different concept but yet another Mexican option in Uptown? I'm truly sorry Pizza 23 went out as I ate lunch there often (but apparently not often enough).

Nothing says great Mexican food like "loaded waffle fries".

14. Default Re: Ted's Cafe Escondido

LOL I'll never forget a waiter at Ted's correcting me when asking for more queso. "Sir, it is cheese sauce"

15. Default Re: Ted's Cafe Escondido

May have to walk over and buy Ted's tortillas, and use those for tacos at BTT.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    Sucks it's next to btt, wish it was maybe next to scissor tail park or some other undeserved area, don't like the idea of picking between 2 over something that is unique and convenient to an area.

https://oklahoman.com/article/566194...cept-to-uptown

Wanted to point out a highly unethical practice by that article's author.

He includes quotes and other information lifted directly from a press release (which we identified as such in the story that came before this one) but uses them as if he spoke directly to the people.

He's done this dozens of times. Nobody else at the Oklahoman even does it, and for good reason. A long-term reporter was recently fired by the Kansas City Star for doing the same thing because it's regarded as incredibly unethical in journalism.

I've documented this being done many times over the years. Really bad standard for our community.

19. Default Re: Ted's Cafe Escondido

Quote Originally Posted by JDSooners View Post
    Sucks it's next to btt, wish it was maybe next to scissor tail park or some other undeserved area, don't like the idea of picking between 2 over something that is unique and convenient to an area.
    I said that halfway joking. Although they both serve similar style Mexican, with a full bar the concept / clientele should be different enough for both to be successful. I imagine during good weather that patio will be busy with people hanging out where BTT is more pickup / quick meal.

20. Default Re: Ted's Cafe Escondido

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    https://oklahoman.com/article/566194...cept-to-uptown

Wanted to point out a highly unethical practice by that article's author.

He includes quotes and other information lifted directly from a press release (which we identified as such in the story that came before this one) but uses them as if he spoke directly to the people.

He's done this dozens of times. Nobody else at the Oklahoman even does it, and for good reason. A long-term reporter was recently fired by the Kansas City Star for doing the same thing because it's regarded as incredibly unethical in journalism.

I've documented this being done many times over the years. Really bad standard for our community.
    That is both lazy and unethical. You always cite your source and digital you link back to it. Journalism 101

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    That is both lazy and unethical. You always cite your source and digital you link back to it. Journalism 101
    He does it all the time.

There was a story a few years back where he extensively quoted Mary Fallon and I thought, wow, I'm surprised he got to speak to her directly.

Then I realized it was from a press release. It's really just incredibly unethical and irresponsible.

And it has zero to do with being overworked, understaffed, having new owners, having to take every 4th week off or the other litany of excuses we've been hearing for the last 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    He does it all the time.

There was a story a few years back where he extensively quoted Mary Fallon and I thought, wow, I'm surprised he got to speak to her directly.

Then I realized it was from a press release. It's really just incredibly unethical and irresponsible.

And it has zero to do with being overworked, understaffed, having new owners, having to take every 4th week off or the other litany of excuses we've been hearing for the last 10 years.
    Who is the reporter? It says "Staff Reports" on the byline now.

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    Who is the reporter? It says "Staff Reports" on the byline now.
    Lackmeyer. Funny that it was changed.

24. Default Re: Ted's Cafe Escondido

WOW. Confirmed it said Lackmeyer when I read it after Pete pointed it out. They changed it later it looks like.

As I know nothing about journalism, what is the preferred way of reporting a direct quote from a press release? Would it simply be to cite the press release and then provide the quote?

If I were writing an article I'd have done it that same way. I've honestly never even thought about it.

Thread Information