Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Ted's Cafe Escondido

Default Re: Ted's Cafe Escondido

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    This is good news. The more locations open up, the shorter the wait times will become at existing locations. I also have long wondered why there wasn't more outparcel development at the outlet mall. Compared to NC Mexican food, Ted's is actually pretty good. Still doesn't compare to what you can get in Texas however.
    Ted's also doesn't compare to the other local Tex-Mex places like Casa Perico, Abel's, etc.

I do my part to lessen the lines at Ted's.
    Many folk like what they do, and that's fine.
    I'm a nice enough chap that I choose to not get in their way.

Gotta agree with Ted's being a very average Tex-Mex joint. I remember way back in high school, my friends would insist on going to Ted's and waiting an hour to get a table. I never understood it. I do remember their customer service being outstanding though, not sure if that is still the case.

4. Default Re: Ted's Cafe Escondido

I'd kill for good tex/okie-mex in the Seattle area. I would literally commit murder.

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    I'd kill for good tex/okie-mex in the Seattle area. I would literally commit murder.
    Ted's is great as far as i'm concerned.

Pssst ... before you go and get all rash and stuff. Working a deal with your favorite okietexmex place back here to ship you their grub using some dry ice, a sturdy container and FedX is a whole lot cheaper than hiring one of my kind to defend you on the murder charge, with the added bennie of not jacking up some family's holidays.

But, if you lose it and go that route, get word back to me. I know a convict up your way. I can put in a good word for you. :}

I think Teds is OK. I think there are better places in OKC for tex/mex for sure..
    the main turn off for me with Teds is how close together they pack all the tables ect. its not comfortable or inviting to sit 2 feet from a table in every direction with servers whizzing through constantly.. its a lot of hussle and bussle and not my cup of tea.

I remember back when I lived in OKC Ted's was extremely popular. The times I ate there, were ok, however I could never get pass the queso. It was not the "real deal". It seemed like out of a can?. For Tex Mex in Dallas, my haunts are Uncle Julio's, Cantina Laredo and Mi Cocina.

Don't they have a Cantina Laredo at Penn??

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerman View Post
    Don't they have a Cantina Laredo at Penn??
    yes they do at penn square mall.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    yes they do at penn square mall.
    How does the OKC location compare to the Texas locations?

I know El Chico, their parent restaurant, is different and much better in Texas than it is in other states they operate in.

I believe we went to El Charro in Sumner a few times while we lived there, it was pretty decent, I'd say it would fit the bill for you, but it is a hike down there...

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    How does the OKC location compare to the Texas locations?

I know El Chico, their parent restaurant, is different and much better in Texas than it is in other states they operate in.
    Ehhh...not so sure. I've only ate at the one in Paris, Tx and that place was vile. Much worse than the ones I've tried in OKC.

I'm not a Ted's hater. You can get much better and much worse okie-mex in OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    I do my part to lessen the lines at Ted's.
    Many folk like what they do, and that's fine.
    I'm a nice enough chap that I choose to not get in their way.
    +1. Ya can't beat the one off operators in Norman.

16. Default Re: Ted's Cafe Escondido

I second this. ^^
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    I second this. ^^
    Here Is The Most Disproportionately Popular Cuisine In Each State

That's why I've always held onto the belief the Oklahoma is a Southwestern state, with more in common with Texas and New Mexico, than Kansas/Nebraska. Cuisine is a huge part of culture, and around here it's Mexican, Tex-Mex, BBQ, southern (home cookin') in that order. At least around Tulsa...

Oklahoma

1. Tex-Mex -- 93 percent higher than national average.
    2. BBQ -- 88 percent higher than national average.

3. Steak -- 58 percent higher than national average.
    4. Buffets -- 51 percent higher than national average.
    5. Fast food -- 51 percent higher than national average.

In regard to Ted's, it almost has a cult following. I've only been once or twice and don't find myself absolutely needing to go there. There are plenty of other places to choose before Ted's, in my humble opinion.

The I-40 & Council location's Grand Opening is today, December 14th.

My wife and I love Ted's! We go there for special occassions or even just a random date night. I teach on the SE side of OKC so I have access to some of the very best authentic homemade Mexican food. I love the quality of the food and the professional service. there are times of course that we choose to go the take out route but dining in we never wait for very long. Now if you really want to step up and be a community partner PM me about becoming a partner for my elementary school. We need all the help we can get.

Quote Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
    Here Is The Most Disproportionately Popular Cuisine In Each State

That's why I've always held onto the belief the Oklahoma is a Southwestern state, with more in common with Texas and New Mexico, than Kansas/Nebraska. Cuisine is a huge part of culture, and around here it's Mexican, Tex-Mex, BBQ, southern (home cookin') in that order. At least around Tulsa...

Oklahoma

1. Tex-Mex -- 93 percent higher than national average.
    2. BBQ -- 88 percent higher than national average.

3. Steak -- 58 percent higher than national average.
    4. Buffets -- 51 percent higher than national average.
    5. Fast food -- 51 percent higher than national average.

In regard to Ted's, it almost has a cult following. I've only been once or twice and don't find myself absolutely needing to go there. There are plenty of other places to choose before Ted's, in my humble opinion.
    There was a time when they really did merit the special attention - years and years ago - before they sold out to Hal Smith, IIRC. Wife and I went there a few months ago and the menu is a shell of its former self, and if you want something besides a platter of enchiladas or a taco....

Good Mexican joints are few and far between in the Northwest. In Portland, the Original Taco House was damn good, but I really can't think of any others there at all. Surprisingly, OKC's Indian offerings are of a better quality than Portland's as well. There was a great Indian joint in Salem, but by and large OKC wins the Indian cuisine fight.

Yakisoba, on the other hand, is where the PacNW shines.

Ted's coming to NW 150th & Penn:

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Ted's coming to NW 150th & Penn:

Just yesterday I was telling my wife that I wonder what that complex is going to look like when it's done. She's switched over her allegiance to Alfredo's but I still prefer Ted's because their enchiladas are better. It will be nice to have a Ted's so close.

It is actually going in the strip mall behind the HSRG new (or old) concept.

Blog Entries

Ted's is awful. I have no idea how people can eat that crap.

Thread Information