Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ted's Cafe Escondido

Default Re: Ted's Cafe Escondido

Quote Originally Posted by baybay4ev View Post
    I used to think Teds was great, I went to it because everyone was always raving about it. But through friends and work, I started going to other mexican restaurants and no offense Teds, but I haven't been back to Teds since!! San Marcos is now my favorite. Acapulco was my favorite, it was in a really bad location though so it's closed, but man it was good food. Anybody else go there when it was open? It was right off I35 on Hefner.
    When my wife and I first started dating, we went to Ted's regularly. I am not a huge Mexican food fan, but it was good, the service was very good, and so it became a de-facto favorite. Now, about 14 years later, we finally gave up on Ted's as their portions shrank and their prices went through the roof. We looked forward to the lcoation on S. Western, but finally got to the point where we looked at the prices on the menu and couldn't justify it anymore. There are other very good places for less money. No offense to any Ted's fans here, of course; we've just made a different choice.

We might still go there once in a very great while, but it simply is no longer a family standard as it once was. When *my* wife* won't go to a Mexican restaurant, you *know* something is out of whack

sd

I am not a fan of Ted's. Do NOT understand the raves that it receives. Funny story.......well, I think it is.

DS and GF usually suggested Ted's for special meals. We would go because we thought they really liked it and did not want to miss out time with the.m After the 3rd or 4th meal there...we finally started talking and found out..they thought WE really liked it and that was why they suggested the place as they were not that fond of it either!!! Needless to say, we no longer have that place on our list of places to eat our special meals!

Last edited by redcup; 05-04-2008 at 12:04 AM. Reason: typo

MadMonk Guest

I like Teds, especially their salsas. Speaking of Chelino's OKCMallen, I was in Bricktown last weekend for the Rush concert and we ate at Chelinos prior to that. I haven't been there in about a year, but I was very disappointed. The service was never speedy, but this time it was awful. It took 10 minutes to get our order placed and my glass went empty for long periods of time. After we were done we sat waiting for the check for a solid 15 minutes. The waitress was very busy and apologized for the long wait (which saved her tip), but the whole experience has soured me on Chelinos and the food isn't enough to overcome it.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    I like Teds, especially their salsas. Speaking of Chelino's OKCMallen, I was in Bricktown last weekend for the Rush concert and we ate at Chelinos prior to that. I haven't been there in about a year, but I was very disappointed. The service was never speedy, but this time it was awful. It took 10 minutes to get our order placed and my glass went empty for long periods of time. After we were done we sat waiting for the check for a solid 15 minutes. The waitress was very busy and apologized for the long wait (which saved her tip), but the whole experience has soured me on Chelinos and the food isn't enough to overcome it.
    You should never, ever, under any circumstance go to the Bricktown Chelino's. Horrible food & service. All their other stores, especially the 'original' store, are great (for Chelino's).

5. Default Re: Ted's Cafe Escondido

I've been underwhelmed by Chelino's for so long that I just prefer to not go. I'll stay in before going there...I'd rather go out to eat half as much but go to Ted's or Abuelo's instead.

I've liked Ted's and many others that have come and gone. But, my favorite? El Chico. Love their enchiladas, chips and salsa, all that good stuff. But, it's a chain! OMG! Seriously though - I love El Chico.

Ted's isn't bad, but they're over priced IMO.

8. Default Re: Ted's Cafe Escondido

We live a few blocks from the original Ted's and we just love the place. The food is always good and the wait staff is attentive and you never have an empty glass. I also like Pepe's in Edmond and the old Laredo's, but Ted's is #1.

I like El Chico, I don't care if it's a chain, but I've really been wanting to try Teds. People I know go on about how good it is.

The Chilenos in Bricktown and Norman are nasty!!!

10. Default Re: Ted's Cafe Escondido

we've been huge fan of Ted's (the man and his original location) since the early 90's. My wife and I have been monthly customers since then. We've never had to wait longer than 45 minutes. The prices are very reasonable (as they've always been) for the quality and quantity. The service has always been great.

Ted catered a friend's wedding a few years ago, and it was incredible.

SUPPORT LOCAL BUSINESS! Visit your hard working neighbors and let them show you how hard they work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Stark View Post
    we've been huge fan of Ted's (the man and his original location) since the early 90's. My wife and I have been monthly customers since then. We've never had to wait longer than 45 minutes. The prices are very reasonable (as they've always been) for the quality and quantity. The service has always been great.

Ted catered a friend's wedding a few years ago, and it was incredible.

SUPPORT LOCAL BUSINESS! Visit your hard working neighbors and let them show you how hard they work.

I guess we're talking about different Ted's, because we stopped going there when their portions shrank while their prices increased.

Love the philosphy, and I'm glad to show local business my $$, but when they price themselves out of the ballpark....not much I can do about it. Pricing is their choice and prerogative. All I can do is vote with my feet.

I've been a couple of times, never been worth the wait and expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by live&letlive View Post
    I like El Chico, I don't care if it's a chain, but I've really been wanting to try Teds. People I know go on about how good it is.

The Chilenos in Bricktown and Norman are nasty!!!
    Finally went to Ted's, the new one in Norman. It was delicious! The wait was about 20 minutes.

What I'd like to find is a Mexican restaurant, ANY Mexican place at all, that serves salsa that's not overloaded on cilantro. Even El Chico, a chain that should have the same salsa everywhere, has cilantro-loaded salsa. It's been my experience that every Mexican restaurant in the entire OKC metro serves the same salsa and the same cheese. Why not merge and just be the same restaurant?

Dude, if you think there is too much cilantro in OKC salsas, you've seen nothing yet. Have you ever eaten in Houston. I'm stuck here in this hell hole and I have only found one place that doesn't load their salsas with cilantro (twigs included).

Be happy with what you have in OKC. It's salsas are the best IMHO. I don't care if they are authentic.

Ted's tastes like every other mexican resturant in the metro. They are all the same. The only thing different about Ted's is the ridiculous wait and the obscene prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Relaxationstation View Post
    Well crud, it's 12:45am and I forgot to eat tonight and suddenly I'm craving nachos! Maybe you should open up an all night "Ted's To Go."
    I don't think I've ever forgotten to eat in my entire life! Kinda explains my beer gut, or is it a "table muscle"?

Teds is okay, it is not the best but it does beat a lot of places in the san diego area believe it or not at least we get cheese sauce with our set ups.. But I think chilenos has them beat, now chilenos is all different depending on the location, the one off 44th and robinson owned by jaun is really good my second choice the chelinos in norman owned by armando is also really good..

19. Default Re: Ted's Cafe Escondido

The one in Bricktown sucks. Everytime I go there it's something different.

Yesterday, horrible service.

I agree the bricktown one does suck, I have eaten there probably twice and both time, my plate was cold and I told them to stick in the microwave or do something to warm it up, and the service really sucked Iguess they never heard of re-fills in that place,, that chilenos is still owned by the person who started all the chilenos, he owns one other one as well, I forget what location the other one is in, but his brothers and a cousin own all the rest. Robinson is the best if you dont mind the hookers convention at the gas station payphone across the street.

I still like Bravo's in Purcell...

The new Ted's in Norman was certainly amazing. I never ate at the ones in OKC but since im from Norman and have eaten at just about every other mexican restaurant in the OKC area, I had to try it!

When we got there, I was a bit disappointed because there was a huge line, but they got us in pretty quickly. Probably 15 minutes or so, and boy was I impressed! The service was nothing less than excellent and same goes for the food/prices. The dinners were about $1 more than Chelino's or any other average mexican restaurant. For $1 more you get this? I'll take it.

Default Ted's Cafe Escondido

Hearing word that Ted's is coming to an outparcel at the Outlet Shoppes to be open by August.

This is good news. The more locations open up, the shorter the wait times will become at existing locations. I also have long wondered why there wasn't more outparcel development at the outlet mall. Compared to NC Mexican food, Ted's is actually pretty good. Still doesn't compare to what you can get in Texas however.

I've heard this will be located right next to the Mathis Brothers store.

Thread Information