Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Ted's Cafe Escondido

Default Re: Ted's Cafe Escondido

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    So, you've tried the new concept and don't like it?
    . . . concept has nothing to do with it. . .just never impressed with their food. Plus thought the statement about putting BTT out of business was rather small-minded. Bottom line. . to each his own!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by foodiefan View Post
    . . . concept has nothing to do with it. . .just never impressed with their food. Plus thought the statement about putting BTT out of business was rather small-minded. Bottom line. . to each his own!!
    But, you haven’t actually had the food here, right?

I haven't had the food either. I also don't care to try it. Given Ted's status of being a local chain, and that a lot of--if not all--of the ingredients are the same I'm assuming it wouldn't be a stretch to assume the food wouldn't be that different.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    I haven't had the food either. I also don't care to try it. Given Ted's status of being a local chain, and that a lot of--if not all--of the ingredients are the same I'm assuming it wouldn't be a stretch to assume the food wouldn't be that different.
    Ted's is no longer local.

The Hal Smith group sold their interest some time ago.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    Curious.... do you have something against local based restaurants with multiple locations? Sounds like you are saying local is inferior.

I also don't understand people bashing something they admittedly haven't even tried.

I think what Thomas was getting was since they are a chain you don't need to try out a new location or concept to have a general idea of whether you like it or not.

Ultimately Ted's is a brand. If one doesn't have a good perception of that brand they probably aren't going to be interested in trying out out a new location or concept. I think it is also fair on a discussion board for someone to provide their opinion on an established brand without having to try each new concept. I wouldn't call this "bashing".

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Ted's is no longer local.

The Hal Smith group sold their interest some time ago.
    Hal smith is on the board of the company that runs all the teds ..

when teds started their big expansion a VC firm partnered with Hal smith to grow the brand but in a different company (not HSRG)

8. Default Re: Ted's Cafe Escondido

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    Ultimately Ted's is a brand. If one doesn't have a good perception of that brand they probably aren't going to be interested in trying out out a new location or concept. I think it is also fair on a discussion board for someone to provide their opinion on an established brand without having to try each new concept. I wouldn't call this "bashing".
    I'm not a fan of Ted's. I probably haven't eaten at one in 20 years, but I tried the cantina concept on 23rd anyway. I wasn't blown away by the food, but it is passable and I love hanging out on the patio.

Well I mean that's fair as well. It's not an either or situation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    I think what Thomas was getting was since they are a chain you don't need to try out a new location or concept to have a general idea of whether you like it or not.

I get it, but a new concept doesn't just mean a subset of the old concept. I would suggest trying new businesses instead of summarily dismissing them.

I've actually eaten at Ted's pretty recently because I was dragged there for a family get together and I have to say, the food was really good! I used to be on the bandwagon that Ted's was just "meh" until that visit. Also, their flour tortillas are still some of the best in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I get it, but a new concept doesn't just mean a subset of the old concept. I would suggest trying new businesses instead of summarily dismissing them.
    I went ahead and looked at the menus, and see that my assumption of overlapping ingredients was incorrect.

Having said that, I just found a taco place I really like. La pinata taco truck if anybody was curious

I was hoping to elaborate on where foodiefan was coming from with my comment.

Benefits are provided weekly and you have to submit your work search info (a min of two contacts) every week before you get paid.

It scares me that not only that so few people understand this program, but how they are also repeating the "people on unemployment don't get counted as unemployed" myth.

It's been posted on this site alone over 10 times by at least 4 different people, all stating something as absolute fact which is 100% false. It also says a lot about someone that keeps insisting this is true because somehow it makes them feel better about themselves, just like the 'Welfare Queen' myth of the Reagan era.
    I want to preface this post by saying that I respect you a lot Pete and we've known each other for a lot of years and I most definitely respect your opinions, more than most on this site, for sure. However, on this topic I will have to disagree with you based on my own experiences.

I filed for unemployment on October 11, 2020, and every week thereafter until I started my new job April 12th of this year. Ironically and sadly, I didn't get a penny of my unemployment befefit money until the actual first day of my new job, April 12th, 6 months and one day after applying for benefits. A few weeks after I first applied, the federal waiver on job searches lapsed and they were required again. When I went to file for that week I was hit with the requirement and at the time I thought it meant I had to do the 2 searches on OKJobMatch (absolutely worthless site) so they could track it. But, after answering no on the question like a niave, honest person I read that Indeed searches count and I had actually applied for about 8 jobs that week so I had to call the unemployment office to have them fix my erroneous claim. After being on hold for the requisite 3 hours I finally got to speak to a very nice and overworked lady that damn near fell out of her chair laughing because I told her I had said no to the question. She all but told me to just say yes to that question no matter what. Now, over the 6 months I applied for 200+ jobs so I always fulfilled the requirement, but I can promise you most people are pretty much advised to say yes to that question no matter what. And, that office is so ridiculously overworked, understaffed, and overwhelmed with merely accomplishing it's main task to be tracking down people that aren't being honest about their weekly work searches. And, there is no tracking of the searches at all. Merely a threat of being charged with fraud if you are not truthful. Just the way it is.

As for the "welfare queens" topic, I unfortunately had a front row seat for many years to that very thing happening A LOT. My wife taught Career Tech at inner city schools for over a decade. And, while she loved her job and the impact she had on a lot of student's lives, the absolute constant churning of successful high school graduates into the system was soul crushing for her. Every year there were many students that she helped become the very celebrated first in their family to graduate from high school. And, in nearly all of those cases my wife had helped them secure a FREE college path after graduating only to see the majority of them get pregnant, move in with a family member, and jump right into the system. We watched it happen year after year after year. Add in the equally soul crushing teaching salary and it has finally driven my wife out of the job she absolutely loved and she finally took the money to work out of teaching. Unfortunately the concept is far from a myth.

To the topic.... I absoutely loved Ted's when it was the original and still run by the founder and original owner. Once they started to expand they encountered the inevitable changes that come from a chain seeking consistency and volume. If I find myself at Ted's I don't mind the experience as typically it's very consistent and the service is good. However, I never actively choose to eat at Ted's anymore when I feel like there are many more tex-mex options that are more unique and locally owned to choose from. But, this particular taco shop venture that they very deliberately opened across the street from a very good and very local establishment of the same genre will never get a penny of my money. I would never go to the Sonic in Norman that was a blatant attempt to run Classic 50's out of business and I won't do it in this case either. That's just a personal thing for me and I won't support that sort of business activity. If they open one up somewhere else I might try it, but no way I'm ever stepping foot in this one. But, that's my own personal choice and I also respect anyone else's choice to patronize them, for the record.

Just received a press release saying Ted's Cantina is opening their 2nd location in Ardmore.

I'm sure we'll see more in OKC as well.

Do you have a link to that somewhere, Pete? I may need to send that to some family down that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Do you have a link to that somewhere, Pete? I may need to send that to some family down that direction.
    https://tedstacocantina.com/teds-tac...dmore-announce

They are taking over the old Cotton Patch Cafe next to the AMC theater.

Awesome, thanks.

location 3 and 4 will be announced soon

Wet taco

Any reviews of that?

Looks kind of gross to me...

I've had that a few times, it's a bit messy to eat but I found it fairly tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I've had that a few times, it's a bit messy to eat but I found it fairly tasty.
    Yeah maybe the messiness of it is what is making me feel turned off from trying it.

Next time I do a big truck pickup order I'll try the wet taco to convince myself that even though I am getting older I'm still open to trying new things!

22. Default Re: Ted's Cafe Escondido

Quote Originally Posted by Bits_Of_Real_Panther View Post
    Wet taco

Any reviews of that?

Tried it my first trip. Nothing special IMO. Definitely wasn't gross though. Give it a try, you might like it.

birria tacos in general are great. Can't speak on teds though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bits_Of_Real_Panther View Post
    Wet taco

Any reviews of that?

I definitely wasn't a huge fan. The "wet" part just tasted bland to me. Wet and bland - not a great combo imho.

https://tedstacocantina.com/teds-tac...dmore-announce

They are taking over the old Cotton Patch Cafe next to the AMC theater.
    Not surprised the Cotton Patch Cafe went out of business. Ate there twice pre-COVID and the service was terrible both times.

Thread Information