Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Ted's Cafe Escondido

Default Re: Ted's Cafe Escondido

The restaurant industry is suffering from staffing issues citywide, so I wouldn't say it's Ted's-specific right now. Staff are extremely hard to find right now...

Wages and benefits will cure staffing issues.

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    The restaurant industry is suffering from staffing issues citywide, so I wouldn't say it's Ted's-specific right now. Staff are extremely hard to find right now...
    Seems odd, with many restaurants not fully open (or closed, either temporarily or permanently) and unemployment being high.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Seems odd, with many restaurants not fully open (or closed, either temporarily or permanently) and unemployment being high.
    most i knew just left the service industry for another job, and realized that while pay can be more... having a steady paycheck (even is smaller sometimes) and other benefits helps... i would be willing to say that 1/3rd of my friends in the service industry have left it in the past 6-8 months

Ted's Tacos and Cantina in Uptown will finally reopen on May 1st.

Finally, I have been looking forward to being able to eat there in person now that vaccinations are looking good.

How many months did they end up being closed?

^

It closed after the big snow and deep freeze in February.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    The mayor was touting the unemployment rate in the metro. It is at 4%. Is that high for you?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    The mayor was touting the unemployment rate in the metro. It is at 4%. Is that high for you?
    I was speaking to the general unemployment rate, not OKC's, and wasn't aware at the time that OKC's was at 4%.

Had an email saying 23rd street location is opening May 1st.

Time has come to finally put Big Truck out of business!

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    Unemployment % =/= Labor force participation %.

The folks living off of the expanded unemployment money are not counting towards our unemployment numbers because they have dropped out of the labor force altogether.

12. Default Re: Ted's Cafe Escondido

Quote Originally Posted by Bits_Of_Real_Panther View Post

+1. BTT arguably has the better menu, but Ted’s execution + that bar are just on a different level.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post

The folks living off of the expanded unemployment money are not counting towards our unemployment numbers because they have dropped out of the labor force altogether.
    This is completely false and you need to stop repeating it.

Why people are not participating is left to the politics and Covid threads, but the participation rate still has a long way to recoverfrom their pre-covid levels. A lot of people "gave up" after the tech crash of 2000 and the housing crash of 07/08 also before this trend found a bottom in 2015. It will probably be awhile before it gets back to pre-covid levels. https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/CIVPART

I would argue the cost of daycare has made it more worthwhile for someone to stay at home with the kids(either a parent or their baby boomer grandparents), if I were to speculate the trend we were seeing since 2000.

15. Default Re: Ted's Cafe Escondido

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This is completely false and you need to stop repeating it.
    I want to learn something here. This is from the BLS.GOV:

"Who is counted as unemployed?
    People are classified as unemployed if they do not have a job, have actively looked for work in the prior 4 weeks, and are currently available for work. Actively looking for work may consist of any of the following activities:

Contacting:
    An employer directly or having a job interview
    A public or private employment agency
    Friends or relatives
    A school or university employment center
    Submitting resumes or filling out applications
    Placing or answering job advertisements
    Checking union or professional registers
    Some other means of active job search"

I read this to say that if you're not pursuing employment you're not statically counted as unemployed? Am I misunderstanding?

The most widely reported unemployment rate is the U 3. It excludes those who have quit looking for work. U6 rate does include:
    https://www.investopedia.com/article...e-u6-vs-u3.asp

The most widely reported unemployment rate is the U 3. It excludes those who have quit looking for work. U6 rate does include:
    https://www.investopedia.com/article...e-u6-vs-u3.asp
    You CANNOT receive unemployment benefits unless you demonstrate an active job search. In Oklahoma you have to do this weekly and I believe that is the case in most/all other states.

So this silly and widely-held idea that people are receiving benefits and not a part of the group looking for work is 100% false.

You CANNOT receive unemployment benefits unless you demonstrate an active job search. In Oklahoma you have to do this weekly and I believe that is the case in most/all other states.

So this silly and widely-held idea that people are receiving benefits and not a part of the group looking for work is 100% false.
    Having been on unemployment twice in two different states (WA and IL), you absolutely have to make contacts weekly, *and* list them on a sheet that can be asked for at any time. I never got asked to "show my work", yet if they did and I didn't have a valid list of contacts that I've made, I'm pretty sure my benefits would've stopped (at the very least) and they probably would've taken back benefits they'd already given me.

Benefits are provided weekly and you have to submit your work search info (a min of two contacts) every week before you get paid.

It scares me that not only that so few people understand this program, but how they are also repeating the "people on unemployment don't get counted as unemployed" myth.

It's been posted on this site alone over 10 times by at least 4 different people, all stating something as absolute fact which is 100% false. It also says a lot about someone that keeps insisting this is true because somehow it makes them feel better about themselves, just like the 'Welfare Queen' myth of the Reagan era.

20. Default Re: Ted's Cafe Escondido

You CANNOT receive unemployment benefits unless you demonstrate an active job search...
    Really not interested in publicly involving myself in the rest of this discussion, but I can tell you for a fact that without question this requirement is gamed ruthlessly, and was even pre-pandemic. Run an ad on a job board and see how many applicants you get vs how many are willing to show up for an interview, or simply pick up a phone or return a call or e-mail when you contact them on their application. See how many simply no-show interviews. As I said, this part has been going on since well before the pandemic, though previously it was probably people just checking boxes to stay on unemployment until a job they REALLY wanted came along. It's definitely a thing.

And before someone says that they'd easily be caught, understand that technology now enables people to submit applications to many, MANY employers instantly, and then to only list on their weekly report to OESC the ones who DIDN'T call them for an interview. Before job boards existed you used to have to call an employer, mail a resume or apply in person for them to be listed as part of your job search. Today's world is very different.

^

Yes, they are not just lazy but dishonest.

The central point is that people keep claiming that those receiving benefits are somehow not counted in the unemployment numbers, which is completely untrue.

Why would you be so eager to put a beloved local business out of business? I feel singlehandedly determined to keep BTT alive but I'm not rooting for the failure of either of them...

23. Default Re: Ted's Cafe Escondido

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    Why would you be so eager to put a beloved local business out of business? I feel singlehandedly determined to keep BTT alive but I'm not rooting for the failure of either of them...
    Agree! I like Ted's and I like BTT. I hope the offerings are different enough to make both work. Example, we might stop at Taco Bueno for lunch and go to Abuelo's for dinner. Never considering them the same thing (Mexican food) at all.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    ^x1000 (personally don't like Teds, so I'll be at BTT!!)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by foodiefan View Post
    ^x1000 (personally don't like Teds, so I'll be at BTT!!)
    So, you've tried the new concept and don't like it?

Thread Information