Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gaetano's pizza

Default Gaetano's pizza

Well I finally ate there today for lunch. It's located in Edmond on Broadway and around 14th or so, just a block east of 15th on the west side of the road. This place claims to be a true New York style pizzeria and deli. Well, I must say the food was amazing. I had to wait about 30+ minutes for two slices of pizza after the guy told me it would only be about 10 minutes. The slices were huge and were very thin, New York style. The pizza is made with fresh ingredients flown in from NYC. Two slices cost me $4.00 plus tax. Not bad considering the portion sizes (and you can choose whatever toppings you want on your pizza). The couple behind me ordered their largest size which was ginormous (sp?). I've heard about it but it was the biggest pizza I've ever seen. It takes up about the whole table in a booth. They also have an oregano shaker on every table, just like most NY joints. If I remember reading the Gazette review, they had to custom make their pizza boxes to make it fit.

The only down side to the restaurant was the service. The owner took several minutes to even acknowledge me that I even walked in the door, and when he did, he didn't even ask how he could help me. A few minutes later, he yelled loudly in the back for his waitress who was not very friendly or helpful. I basically had to go behind the counter and get my own drink and refill and ask for a plate, fork, etc. The same for the couple behind me, they basically walked in the back to get someones attention to refill their drink, etc. They were both super rude. I was very polite and always said please and thank you. I guess that's just a New Yorker for you. The part that ticked me off the most was the guy was rude to the couple behind me who were visiting from out of state and the owner didn't have much nice to say about Oklahoma when they asked him.

The ambiance was excellent and the place was super clean. The ceiling tiles were painted like the Italian flag and the place was nicely decorated. Definitely could make you think you were in Little Italy. They also have a nice deli anb bakery for you to take home meats, cheeses, and baked goods.

I give the pizza 10 out of 10 and the service about a 1 out of 10. I guess that is what you can say about New Yorkers idea of service.

Default Re: Gaetano's pizza

Well, that knocks them off my list!

I will tolerate less than perfect food if the service is good. I will NOT tolerate poor service or 'tude, no matter how good the food is!

Thanks for your review, metro - saves me a trip!

You're welcome Lauri. Unfortunately it's the only place in the metro I know of for true and good New York style pizza. I will still go again although I will talk to them about their service next time! Like I said, that's a New Yorker for you.

4. Default Re: Gaetano's pizza

I would be afraid to ask if they have delivery lol.

5. Default Re: Gaetano's pizza

As a former New Yorker, I must add my two cents. While the service is slow, even for a New York establishment, the "attitude" is pure New York. Don't be offended; what you're experiencing is the genuine vibe of a New York pizza shop. New Yorkers pride themselves in being grouchy, and appreciate it if you give them some "guff" in response.

I'm going to throw a slice in Gaetano's face next time! I'll just say I'm from New York. J/K . That's why I mentioned I'd still go back, their NYC'ers, they don't know any better.

tried to swing by gaetano's today and pick up a slice at lunch... the place was closed!

-M

8. Default Re: Gaetano's pizza

Must have been the service...

Actually, that is really sad.. anytime I see a business closed, I think of all the blood, sweat and tears (hopefully not into the pizza dough lol)that probably went into being successful at 'owning' your own company and then having to make the decision to close your door.. it's seems like the death of dream..hopefully, they moved back to NY and opened a nice place where they can be successful.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

So they're closed for good then? Darn...

I think that we're a bit spoiled here in Oklahoma: we're so used to getting first-rate service it's difficult to stomach truly bad service, even if the food is outstanding (see Lauri101's post above). That's just as it should be, and I wouldn't be surprised if the bad service was their downfall, or at least a good portion of it. Never-the-less, I regret that I didn't get a chance to get a taste of their pie before they closed-up shop. Nothing like a really good pizza pie...

The best I ever had was just a couple of months ago: Fat Lorenzo's in Minneapolis: Un-Believable!

^
    i don't know whether or not they are closed for good. all i know is that they were closed last friday at around 11:40am. heck, maybe they were observing veteran's day. -M

11. Default Re: Gaetano's pizza

Anybody know if they really are out of business?

No, they are not out of business. They were just closed for Veteran's Day. I can't believe that even got blown out of proportion. I see them open all the time. You're cheating yourself if you don't try this pizza dispite the NYC service. It's the best NYC pizza in the metro hands down right now.

13. Default Re: Gaetano's pizza

I will try it soon. Glad to hear it wasn't shut down.

14. Default Re: Gaetano's pizza

I don't believe that guff about it being true NYC service/attitude.

I have visited NYC no less than 20 times (probably more) to visit family. I always stay downtown and enjoy going from pizza parlor to pizza parlor getting a slice at a time. I ALWAYS am greeted with a smile, a hello and great service. As a matter of fact, many are so busy they have to provide excellent service just to keep up.

Next time I'm in Edmond I'll give it a try.

glad they're still open... but dangit... the one time i'm up that way for lunch and think about going. -M

strike two for gaetano's. i usually have other plans for lunch, but was able to swing by at 11:30 today. they didn't have any pizza out and it would've been a 15 to 20 minute wait. if i wanted to wait that long, i'd go to a sit-down restaurant... so i swung by mr. goodcents instead.

geez. at least i can confirm they're still opened. -M

there wasn't any question to whether or not they were closed. sorry to hear you had to wait for your pizza, i had to wait 15 or so to last time i went, but it was also like 3 in the afternoon so that's understandable. you really need to try it, its worth the wait, far better than Falcone's.

well metro, they were closed last time i went. i was just independently confirming that gaetano's is still open. i do still want to give them a try... guess i should've nabbed a menu so i could call first next time. -M

I understand. But I just wanted to clarify to everyone, just like we did above. The rumor that started in the first place was by someone who stopped by on a holiday that several other restaurants I noticed were also closed understandibly so. Otherwise they have been open for business as usual, it wasn't like they hold mystery hours. Yeah you might want to give them a call ahead of time just to make sure, their pizza is worth the wait in my opinion.

20. Default Re: Gaetano's pizza

So how do you define true "New York Style" pizza? I've heard the term a lot, but no one ever really describes it. How does it compare to Chicago style pizza, another term I've never really had a handle on.

I judge my pizza by the crust texture/thickness, the flavor of the sauce, and the taste of the cheese. Pizzas are as unique as snowflakes to me. I've seldom been able to categorize them.

of course everybody's definition is a bit different... i call new york style big and flat... but with a somewhat floppy crust rather than a crispy one. chicago style pizza, to me, is baked in a deep dish with a buttery crust that is pressed into the dish like a traditional pie. the crust is filled with sauce and ingredients and then topped with cheese. -M

yeah mmm hit it right on. NYC style pizza is very large slices, floppy, the crust is a little undercooked and typically features large slices of pepperoni's or other meats, not the tiny pepperoni's like your used to. traditionally it is also large so you can fold it in half in a V shape and eat it. Chicago style is deep dish, typically several inches thick in the crust, almost like a real pie except bigger and deeper, lots of sauce and toppings, usually have to serve it with a pie slicer and eat it with a fork.

23. Default Re: Gaetano's pizza

All this pizza talk is exquisite torture! I gave up eating deep-dish pizza after I got out of my twenties, just too many calories! Eating those pan-pizzas at Pizza Hut felt like eating an entire casserole or something.

I moved to Hand-tossed crust, then later back to one of my sentimental favorites: thin-crust.

Then a funny thing happened on the way to the forum: Little Caesars was born, and changed my pizza-eating life forever. They are inconsistent depending on who is making them, but I've had some fantastic pizzas there. The $5 Hot-and-Ready is a great idea. I haven't waited on a pizza in four years. The price is so good I can't bring myself to spend so much more at Pizza Hut.

I DO miss Pizza Planet though. Used to be about 63rd and Meridian if I remember correctly.

I will have to try this Gaetano's place. Curiousity has gotten the best of me. I'll just go in expecting a wait and possibly rudeness, so I won't be disappointed. I've been to New York and New Jersey. The guy couldn't possibly show me any greater rudeness than I've experienced there.

oh, as for the rudeness at gaetano's... the guy who was there yesterday was brief and to the point... but he wasn't at all rude, imo.

i kinda experienced the same thing that metro discussed in his original post... it took a bit to be recognized. apparently the guy was getting things ready in the back and there was nobody up front to tend the counter. they really need a chime on the front door or something. -M

ok... after going to falcone's earlier this week i made a point to try gaetano's today, just for the sake of comparison. if you're keeping score at home, gaetano's is on strike two with me... the first time i showed up, they were mysteriously closed. the second time, i showed up during lunch and there wasn't any pizza available by the slice. so...

i show up this time (at noon), and, like before, am greeted by an empty counter. there are two other customers in the entire establishment. in contrast, falcone's was buzzing at lunch. after waiting a little bit, the guy comes out to take my order. it wasn't painfullly long, it's just kinda weird walking in on an empty place with nobody to help you out.

as for pizza by-the-slice, they had one pie sitting out. a cheese pizza. in contrast, falcone's had several selections to choose from. my two slices of cheese pizza and a drink set me back $5.12... the same thing was around $6.40 at falcone's.

the pizza itself was great. everything i'd look for in new york style. big, floppy pieces, a sweet sauce. it was good stuff. i'd say that i preferred the crust here slightly over that of falcone's... gaetano's tasted a bit more 'homemade' somehow and had more character. other than that the two are pretty close.

the bottom line, if ordering a whole pie, i'd recommend gaetano's slightly over falcone's for taste (they're both really good, imo)... but for the selection of by-the-slice at lunch, falcone's wins hands down. -M

Thread Information