Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Warren Theatre

1. Default Re: Warren Theatre

Well foo...Beat me to it.

Default Re: Warren Theatre

Lifted this from the Warren website....More confirmation this theater should be well worth the wait

Flaunt Magazine has named Warren Theatres in Wichita Kansas as the best in the Nation. Here are some quotes: “…Bill Warren of Warren Theatres is a man burning with a mission. Warren wants to build the best cinemas in the world. And he’s doing it. …” “...upon further investigation,…the world leader, except for a limited number of super-premium theatres in Tokyo….The best new construction theatres in terms of added amenities and quality appointments are in Wichita, Kansas. Yes, Wichita.” More info coming soon!

3. Default Re: Warren Theatre

And soon to be OKC.

4. Default Re: Warren Theatre

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    And soon to be OKC.
    You mean MOORE, right?

5. Default Re: Warren Theatre

yes, I will now allow Moore to be cool enough to be part of OKC.

6. Default Re: Warren Theatre

Here is an interesting news story regarding Warren Theaters. The company's theaters in Wichita, KS are going to have digital projection equipment installed. This also means that it is very likely the new 20-plex under construction in Moore will also feature digital cinema.

Kansas.com | 07/12/2007 | Warren goes to digital projection

Warren goes to digital projection
    Bill Warren hopes to have the nearly $5 million project done by the end of the year.
    BY BILL WILSON
    The Wichita Eagle

Bill Warren's Wichita theaters are going digital.

Warren plans to award a multimillion-dollar contract in 60 days to install digital projection in all of his local theaters that show first-run films.

At $100,000 per screen and 47 screens, the project cost will approach $5 million, Warren said.

Warren is on the leading edge of a nationwide conversion to digital projection, said Patrick Corcoran, director of media and research for the National Association of Theater Owners.

The changeover isn't a response to growing competition, Warren said, despite a new IMAX complex coming in Maize.

"We have a commitment to put on the best movies possible in an old-style theater setting," he said. "This is just an upgrade to be part of that."

Currently, five digital projection providers are demonstrating products at the Warren East location, 11611 E. 13th St.

"We're taking a look at all of them, trying to determine what's the best," Warren said. "I hope to have a contract in a couple of months and have this in place around the end of the year."

There are 3,300 digital projectors in American theaters, which total 38,600 screens, Corcoran said.

That number should rise to about 4,000 by the end of 2007 and will double in 2008 as large chains like Regal and AMC roll the projectors out system-wide.

"For the operator, the advantage is presentation," Corcoran said. "The first showing is going to look as good as the last showing, unlike film, which degrades."

Uploading films from a server also allows multiple screen presentations with one copy, unlike today, when each screen requires its own film copy.

Despite the advantages, there are still significant issues, Corcoran said.

"We don't know a lot about how long these projectors will last," he said.

"At $100,000, the cost is four to five times a new film projector, and we know how long film projectors last -- 30 to 40 years."

Plus, the film distribution industry is in flux, with both film prints and digital film copies being produced. Eventually, the end of film will save the distribution industry $1 billion a year, Corcoran said.

The bottom line is good news for the consumer: more vivid films at no extra ticket cost.

"You're going to get a degree of clarity equivalent to the film experience and a product that's beyond what you get on high-definition television," Corcoran said.
    This newspaper article has a few little things that demand some clarification.

It is true that digital projection can provide very consistent levels of presentation quality. Image quality for a movie several weeks into its run can be as good as what is seen on opening night.

Film can and does degrade when it is not handled properly. When film is shown using high quality, properly maintained equipment and shown by a booth operator who knows and cares about what he is doing it is very possible for a film print to play weeks on end without showing dirt, scratches, fading and other problems.

Unfortunately, good projectionists are very rare. Good theater managers are rare as well. Many theaters falter by providing bad show quality and bad customer service, cutting corners and just doing things "good enough."

Film done right has the potential of delivering higher image quality than digital cinema can manage. That is especially true for large film formats like 70mm. The best looking movies are also photographed on film...not recorded to hard disc using glorified HDTV video cameras.

Digital cinema overcomes some of the problems with run of the mill multiplex theaters. It takes away the problems of dirt and scratches that occur with film done wrong.

The biggest plus about digital cinema is convenience. A friend of mine manages the Carmike 8 in Lawton. He can take one "virtual print" on hard disc and load it up on as many screens as he likes. He loaded Spiderman III on the data servers of all 8 screens for the midnight showings right before opening day. He has done similar things for Transformers, Harry Potter and more. With film, you need a print for each projector. Or you need to have an "interlock" system set up to feed one film print into 2 or more projectors (that's complicated to do and not for the faint of heart either). D-cinema systems can show other kinds of content besides regular movies. You can show live concerts and other video feeds. External video sources can be hooked up. You can even run a PowerPoint presentation through one of those systems.

Digital cinema doesn't eliminate the need for frequent routine maintenance. Projector lamps must still be changed on a periodic basis. The sound systems have to be re-tuned and maintained. Blown speaker drivers must be replaced. The list goes on.

Companies like Carmike Cinemas (currently operating nearly 2000 d-cinema equipped screens and the currently the world leader on installations by a very wide margin) have service contracts where maintenance is done automatically. The d-cinema equipment is actually leased and the maintenance schedule comes as part of the entire agreement with AccessIT and Christie Projection.

I imagine Warren Theaters may have a similar deal put together. It's certainly a good idea for them to audition a number of different systems. They're likely evaluating Dolby Digital Cinema, the AccessIT package used by Carmike, Sony's new 4K SXRD d-cinema system and more.

Considering some of the screens at the new Warren 20 in Moore may be as big as 80' wide I really hope they have projection systems installed that can handle the job. Standard 35mm projectors do a poor job of lighting giant screens. 70mm film formats are needed for that kind of work. Christie has a special dual lamp digital projector made for giant screens. I hope Warren tests it very objectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby H View Post
    Film can and does degrade when it is not handled properly. When film is shown using high quality, properly maintained equipment and shown by a booth operator who knows and cares about what he is doing it is very possible for a film print to play weeks on end without showing dirt, scratches, fading and other problems.

Unfortunately, good projectionists are very rare. Good theater managers are rare as well. Many theaters falter by providing bad show quality and bad customer service, cutting corners and just doing things "good enough."

I'd just like to note that a lot of that has to do with the corporate offices of chains and such not allocating enough payroll to accommodate for the proper care of the projection booth. Running 16 projectors (including having to check and patrol the auditoriums within 40 minutes of the show starting) alone leaves very little time to properly clean, lubricate, and thread a projector without giving yourself heatstroke (I'm serious; I got seriously dizzy one time).

Shortcuts are almost a must for projectionists to get their movies started on time. At least in my experience.

8. Default Re: Warren Theatre

Anybody Have Any Idea When This Place Is Going To Open?

9. Default Re: Warren Theatre

My guess is February or March of 2008. So much goes into a Warren Theaters location above what it takes to build any standard movie theater. Chances are pretty slim for the movie theater to open before the end of 2007, at least not without things being rushed and corners being cut. Many other movie theater chains are into making corner cutting compromises. Warren is one of the few who do not compromise. This should be a really great movie theater. We just have to be patient and wait for the crews to complete it.

While driving by the theater today, I noticed some brickwork going up along the back of the building. It appears that they may be using several colors of brick to make "bands" of color at the bottom.

when i drove by this morning i have to say the place is starting to look impressive.

I am really looking forward to the opening of the Warren Theater. It's only a couple of miles north of the Norman city limits, and I suspect I'm not the only Norman resident who will welcome an alternative to the poorly managed and poorly maintained local complex (Hollywood Spotlight). I have had some e-mail correspondence with the Warren office in Wichita, and it is clear to me that everything about their operation will be done with care.

anyone have any updated pics? I probably won't be down that way until the OU football season starts.

I drove by today and they have quite a bit of progress. Most of the walls are up, and it looked like they were working on completing the front entrance part when I went by. I noticed a steel frame erected that looks like it's going to cover the entrance part. Traffic was horrible so sorry I didn't get to catch anything more!

What's the latest news on the theater?

I noticed an ad in a new phone book that listed the theatre as opening "early 2008." It also listed a phone number, but I didn't call it.

17. Default Re: Warren Theatre

they have all the brick work done when i drove by last night, the entrance part im guessing is still bare with the structure pieces in placed.

Drove by this afternoon and snapped a couple of pics.

According to an article I read the other day, they're temporarily slated to open in February, but that will probably get pushed back to March.

The Warren Theatres website has been updated with some more information on the construction and available jobs. It also says they'll update again soon with some answers for some FAQs and more picture and stuff.

21. Default Re: Warren Theatre

Warren Theaters posted an aerial photo of the Moore 20 construction project on their web site.

Did anyone notice the new sign out by the frontage road? Really classy design with some bright letters on it. Really stands out.
    I notice they have been turning on some of the neon around the building at night. I think when it is all finished it is really going to be a sight to see.

24. Default Re: Warren Theatre

The backlit glass front was lit last night, it looked pretty cool.

Would really like to see some of the progress on the inside as well.

Man this is going to be a NICE theater. Me and the wife are looking forward to a night away from the kids on the balcony.

Thread Information