Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Warren Theatre

Default Re: Warren Theatre

I drove by the theater today. It appeared they were doing ground/foundation work as there were several large machines moving on the property.

I absolutely agree hfk...Used to say "Man that movie would be awesome to see in the theaters"...Now with a HD tv and a surround system I find myself saying that less and less

Time was that going to the theaters was a special experience. I remember when I was a kid that going to the movies usually involved my whole family, my aunt and uncle, grandmother, and while I didn't dress "up," I didn't dress "sloppy" either. And a theater was an almost epic place - even one that wasn't necessarily a "showpiece" theater.

There was something incredibly compelling about walking past the ticket booth, across the popcorn stand, and down a darkened corridor to the theater itself. There was, for lack of a better term, an aura of those theaters that the new ones lack - and perhaps that's an observation drawn of age more than reality.

Stadium seating really helped revive the theater industry. I think places like Warren, and even to an extent Harkins, is trying to extend that and bring that broader kind of "specialty" nature to the experience. It's a tall order, though, because at home you don't have $5 popcorn and $4 drinks and a bathroom where you most likely know the last person to have used it.

As far as Key no longer being the prime contractor for construction, I assume that's a function of the project being re-competed when it was scaled down from 20 to 14 screens (original bids came in something like $30M when Warren was budgeting closer to $20M)...just presume Key didn't win the contract the second time around...just speculation...

-SoonerDave

I think this theatre will change your opinions some...... having grown up in Wichita and witnessing the Warren Theatres firsthand and seeing how Mr. Warren does business, I can say unequivocally that this will be the finest and most enjoyable theatre in the metro.... Personally, I will never watch a movie in another establishment once this is completed.

Now, if we can just get some QuikTrips in OKC, then there will be literally no place I miss from Wichita....

Exclamation Re: Warren Theatre

I sure hope they are right!

Warren looks for places to grow
    BY BILL WILSON
    The Wichita Eagle
    Bill Warren wants to build a shopping mall in Newton, part of a larger plan to expand his movie theater empire.

The developer is teaming with Harvey County officials to search for a site in south Newton near I-135.

Meanwhile, work began Monday on Warren's 120,000-square-foot theater in Moore, Okla.

Warren is negotiating for an unspecified south Newton location to build a mall, anchored by a 120,000-square-foot multi-screen theater.

"We've looked at sites in Newton, but the one we want isn't for sale," said Ken Crockett, Warren Theatres corporate vice president.

"Whatever we build up there has to be a regional draw, a bigger development than just a theater. We're still very interested in that, and we're still looking."

Mickey Dean, executive director of the Harvey County Economic Development Council, said city and county officials are actively courting Warren's mall.

"We're very excited about Bill's ideas and his track record of innovation," she said. "The city of Newton and Harvey County are extremely interested in having Mr. Warren as a retail business partner."

Dean declined to pinpoint the location of the land Warren wants to buy, pending the completion of those negotiations.

Warren operated a theater at Newton's outlet mall under a management contract that was canceled in August.

His company operates three Warren Theaters in Wichita plus discount theaters in Wichita and Springfield, Mo.

The Moore theater, the biggest built by Warren, should open in 12 to 13 months, Crockett said.

The $30 million project west of I-35 in Moore, just south of Oklahoma City, will include 20 screens, an estimated 7,000 seats and a restaurant, all in Warren's trademark 1940s decor.

Contractor is Crossland Construction of Columbus. The building designer is Spangenburg Phillips Architecture, Wichita.

The theater will employ around 125 people, including 20 full-time management and restaurant staff.

Newton and Moore aren't the only expansions on the Warren drawing board.

Crockett said several other cities are on Warren's short list for new theaters, but he declined to identify the candidates.

"We're very interested in expansion," he said. "We're definitely out there looking."

Wichita Eagle | 11/09/2006 | Warren looks for places to grow

6. Default Re: Warren Theatre

That is good news about the 20 screens, ETL. But that does conflict with the recent story in the "Inside Moore" newspaper and from what Mayor Lewis advised a poster here on OKCTalk. Maybe someone can get some clarification?

Thanks for sharing!

Stupid idiots.

Art Deco is trademark of the 20s and 30s, not the 40s...

8. Default Re: Warren Theatre

Quote Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
    I think this theatre will change your opinions some...... having grown up in Wichita and witnessing the Warren Theatres firsthand and seeing how Mr. Warren does business, I can say unequivocally that this will be the finest and most enjoyable theatre in the metro.... Personally, I will never watch a movie in another establishment once this is completed.

Now, if we can just get some QuikTrips in OKC, then there will be literally no place I miss from Wichita....
    Here is an inside scoop on Quick Trip. Personally, I also would like them to be in Oklahoma City. However, the owner of the Oklahoma City 7-11 franchise has an agreement that says if Quick Trip stays out of Oklahoma City, then 7-11 stays out of Tulsa.

The reason I heard this is because my company is the magazine supplier for both companies in the Oklahoma City and Tulsa areas. We also do some Quick Trips in the Dallas area.

Here is an inside scoop on Quick Trip. Personally, I also would like them to be in Oklahoma City. However, the owner of the Oklahoma City 7-11 franchise has an agreement that says if Quick Trip stays out of Oklahoma City, then 7-11 stays out of Tulsa.

The reason I heard this is because my company is the magazine supplier for both companies in the Oklahoma City and Tulsa areas. We also do some Quick Trips in the Dallas area.
    Yeah, I have been told the same story by someone who would know for sure..... It just sucks for us in OKC....

That is good news about the 20 screens, ETL. But that does conflict with the recent story in the "Inside Moore" newspaper and from what Mayor Lewis advised a poster here on OKCTalk. Maybe someone can get some clarification?

Thanks for sharing!
    I know that for both of his Wichita locations, he started with the theatre and added extra screens on later. I could see him doing the same in Moore. Maybe starting with 14 and then adding 6 later. On one location in Wichita, he added on 6 screens, I believe, and it included a whole concession and bathroom area just for the new screens..... it was almost like another new theatre..... don't be surprised if he doesn't do it this way in Moore as well.

What is that new trailer by the theater? It said C. ______ & Son Construction Co.

Drove by the site today and I saw more people working on the site than I have seen so far. Lots of earth moving equipment and trucks going here and there. Looks like they have picked up steam and are getting ready to start pouring concrete. Can't wait for this thing to start taking shape!

12. Exclamation Re: Warren Theatre

Quote Originally Posted by MrZ View Post
    Drove by the site today and I saw more people working on the site than I have seen so far. Lots of earth moving equipment and trucks going here and there. Looks like they have picked up steam and are getting ready to start pouring concrete. Can't wait for this thing to start taking shape!
    Believe it or not, there were quite a few people working out there shortly after the recent ice/snow storms, even with all the ice/sleet on the ground.

I've been planning on applying for a manager job there for a while, and decided to find out when and where and to whom I would apply since they've finally begun construction.

Well, I used their "comment" page on the website, figuring I'd have to end up directly mailing the corporate offices or calling one of the Kansas theatres, but then, surprisingly, received a prompt reply:

"We will start filling management positions for the theatre in July or August of this year, and we will start filling floor staff positions in October of this year.

Thanks,

Dan Gray
    VP of Operations Warren Theatres"

So, its looks like they're still planning on opening later this year.

Best thing about working in a theater: FREE MOVIES!
    I worked at the original Crossroads 8 Theater for it first 3 years in the last 80's/early 90's and probably saw every movie that came out in that period. Pay was crap, but free movies rocked!

How is construction going on this project?? anyone got pics?

The only update I have is from yesterday...... there are footings...... that's about it......

17. Default Re: Warren Theatre

Getting all the foundation work complete takes the most time. Once all the electrical trenches are dug, plumbing supply pipes run and foundation poured you'll see the walls on the complex go up pretty quick.

If everything goes like it should the activity should look like it is happening in a flurry during the summer. Most of the structural work should occur in the Spring & Summer months. Then it will seem like time is dragging while all the interior work gets done.

I think Warren Theatres will be lucky if the Moore 20 can be opened before Thanksgiving. I think early December looks like a more dependable shot.

I'm also still wondering just what kind of equipment this theater will feature. It seems very likely all 20 screens will have some pretty darned good sounding THX certified sound systems. But will the theater be 35mm film-based only? Or will it go Digital Cinema? Perhaps a mix of both formats? The largest houses will need some sort of custom work done regardless if film or digital projection is used considering the screens will be roughly IMAX-sized.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby H View Post
    Getting all the foundation work complete takes the most time. Once all the electrical trenches are dug, plumbing supply pipes run and foundation poured you'll see the walls on the complex go up pretty quick.

If everything goes like it should the activity should look like it is happening in a flurry during the summer. Most of the structural work should occur in the Spring & Summer months. Then it will seem like time is dragging while all the interior work gets done.

I think Warren Theatres will be lucky if the Moore 20 can be opened before Thanksgiving. I think early December looks like a more dependable shot.

I'm also still wondering just what kind of equipment this theater will feature. It seems very likely all 20 screens will have some pretty darned good sounding THX certified sound systems. But will the theater be 35mm film-based only? Or will it go Digital Cinema? Perhaps a mix of both formats? The largest houses will need some sort of custom work done regardless if film or digital projection is used considering the screens will be roughly IMAX-sized.
    I know that when he was building his theaters in Wichita, he was criticized by many in the industry for not just buying slightly used projectors from other defunct theaters..... He had each one built on-site specifically made for each theater...... I can't say that he will do that again for sure in Moore, but I would doubt that he will suddenly NOT utilize the attention to detail that has made him so successful.....

Has anyone seen the Blueprints or have any idea which way it will be facing?

20. Default Re: Warren Theatre

I was driving on Telephone Rd this morning, and then later on the I-35 service road, and am happy to report actual concrete pouring!!!

There were about 5 Dolese cement trucks, and from the looks of things, 3 slabs had already been poured and completed.

Things seems to really be progressing at the site.

21. Default Re: Warren Theatre

My moviegoer "drool factor" goes up by around 1.2% every time I drive by that place and see the progress.

You could, perhaps, satisfy that drool factor by enjoying a nice show at the Cine Capri at Harkins Theatres Bricktown 16, or maybe by being amazed by the 3D Meet The Robinsons presented with a brand-spanking new digital projector, eh?

23. Default Re: Warren Theatre

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    You could, perhaps, satisfy that drool factor by enjoying a nice show at the Cine Capri at Harkins Theatres Bricktown 16, or maybe by being amazed by the 3D Meet The Robinsons presented with a brand-spanking new digital projector, eh?

My home system may be loud and I sure enjoy it, but no matter how hard I try I can't make popcorn quite so tasty, nor my floors so sticky...So I go to the Cine Capri every chance I get.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh GAWD the Smell! View Post
    I can't make popcorn quite so tasty, nor my floors so sticky...So I go to the Cine Capri every chance I get.
    Well okay, but in defense of Harkins 16 (including Cine Capri) I have found it to be the best maintained movie complex in town. The place always seems immaculate to me, with not a sticky floor to be found!

I took the kids to see Meet the Robinsons in 3D (or RealD as they call it) and it was AWESOME! The glasses look like normal shade, no red and green lenses. With the old red/green style glasses the further away from center you sat the worse the effect looked. With the new style you can be sitting in the far right corner a couple rows from the front (where we were sitting thanks to getting there late) and the effect is still as awesome as it is in the middle of the theater (I snuck around to see how it looked in various spots). You really do get a good 3D effect that pops out at you and gives the screen some nice depth. During a few of the scenes where the background moved fast (chase scenes) the effect got a bit fuzzy and strained the eyes a bit but overall it was great. I can't wait to see more movies with this technology!

Thread Information