Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Demolition on east side of I35 in Moore

Default Demolition on east side of I35 in Moore

FYI demolition of the old Sams and Microtel (hotel) started about 2 weeks ago. The motel is gone and Sams will probably be finished with this week. The old Moore mall (the bingo joint) is supposed to be next.
    Last year a leasing rep. told us that all of this area would be torn down and a new shopping center would be going up. Does anyone have better info on this?

Default Re: Demolition on east side of I35 in Moore

The Moore station (cable 17 in Moore I think) was saying that the new development was supposed to include a big box store. When I think big box store, however, I think wal-mart, target, or k-mart. Wal-mart is right across the street and I can't imagine would move, target is going in not 5 miles south, and k-mart hasn't done well in OKC. Lowe's is going in just north of the Wal-mart and just south of the area for the Warren theaters. I can't imagine what they will put in there, but let's hope it is good.

3. Default Re: Demolition on east side of I35 in Moore

Lowe's has purchased land in that area, so it may be for their new location. If it is, then the store will be open within a year as it takes nine months from groundbreaking to opening.

Target bought land in the 12200 block of S. Western a couple of years ago and announced a Super Target. If it is still a go, they had to clear the land first. Since I am rarely in that area anymore, I am not sure of the progress.

4. Default Re: Demolition on east side of I35 in Moore

Lowe's purchased land just to the north of the Walmart Supercenter in Moore. Apparently it is supposed to be in between the Walmart and the new Warren Theatre.

An old farm house and barn that somehow survived the explosive growth near Westmoore High School around 122nd and Western has been demolished. However there is an empty field on the other (east) side of Western that has yet to develop. The intersection of 119th and Western is a nightmare all day, especially at rush hours and times when the high school lets out. I'm sure Target would love to take advantage of the traffic there.

I don't think the land where the old barn and house stood is big enough for a supertarget. Maybe I'm wrong, but it still seems rather small. Traffic is pretty busy around that area though and I know that I would love one that close.

a couple of years ago, i'd heard about the 119th and western supertarget as well. although nothing has ever come of it, the land seems seems to me as if it would be of adequate size. here's a google map of the area. you can see westmoore at the bottom of the map for scale. -M

7. Default Re: Demolition on east side of I35 in Moore

Quote Originally Posted by mmm
    a couple of years ago, i'd heard about the 119th and western supertarget as well. although nothing has ever come of it, the land seems seems to me as if it would be of adequate size. here's a google map of the area. you can see westmoore at the bottom of the map for scale. -M
    I vaguely remember in a previous post someone mentioning that Target was extremely interested in that land on Western, but eventually decided against building.

As for the east side of I35 in Moore, I had heard they were tearing stuff down to develop the Riverwalk area on that side of the highway.

I've also heard that Earl's Rib Palace is set to set up shop somewhere in that area.

Earl's looks like it will open soon (i.e. next couple of months). It is just south of the Applebee's and BWW. As for the east side, I know they are developing something but I just can't imagine what...

As for the supertarget - I think for a regular target store the land would be big enough, but not for a Super Target - have you seen how big that one is in Norman?

9. Talking Re: Demolition on east side of I35 in Moore

Quote Originally Posted by OSUFlounder
    Earl's looks like it will open soon (i.e. next couple of months). It is just south of the Applebee's and BWW. As for the east side, I know they are developing something but I just can't imagine what...

As for the supertarget - I think for a regular target store the land would be big enough, but not for a Super Target - have you seen how big that one is in Norman?
    Honestly, I haven't ever seen ANY super target. I don't like Target, and never have really.

Thanks for the info on Earl's. I wasn't sure where it was going. Hadn't been down that way in awhile.

About a year back Petsmart and Target were trying to buy out some of the houses right behind the abandoned Sam's to make more room ..my friends lived back there and said it fell through because one homeowner would not sell...as far as I know there will be a SuperTarget in Norman so no way it will end up being at this site...There is also a for sale sign up right in front of the Sam's so there may not be anything at all lined up right now

I for one hope it's something good so my home value goes up!

Amen to higher property values! The old Sams and the motel are gone, next should be the bingo parlor. I don't know if they are going to demo the current strip center holding the Ross, pool store, etc. What about those restaurants?

12. Default Re: Demolition on east side of I35 in Moore

I somehow remember hearing about them tearing down most of the buildings on the east side to make way for a power center that was supposedly going to be called "The Shops at Moore." Something similar to a Belle Isle-like development is what I heard would be built there.

Read this morning that 3 of the tenants will be Ross, JC Penney and Office Depot...Boy...so far so boring..I shop at those stores on average 0 times a year

All I know is we better get a Petsmart in Moore

14. Default Re: Demolition on east side of I35 in Moore

Project adds retail, restaurants in Moore
    Newsok.com
    By Ja'Rena Lunsford
    Officials say plans will boost east side
    MOORE - More is coming to Moore.

The south metro city is preparing for a 390,000-square-foot shopping center that will bring more retail and more restaurants to the growing area.

A Microtel Hotel, an outlet mall and a 125,000-square-foot former Sam's building that sat empty for nearly two decades already have been demolished to make room for Shops at Moore, the $50 million project that will be off SW 19 Street and Interstate 35.

Deidre Ebrey, director of economic development for Moore, said Shops at Moore will bring about $3 million annually in sales tax revenue to the city.

"Not only is this a huge financial boost to the city of Moore, but a wonderful opportunity for our citizens to shop locally at the stores they like," Ebrey said.

Burk Collins, developer for Shops at Moore and owner of Burk Collins Co., said demolition will take about 90 days and the shopping center will take a year to complete.

Neither Collins nor Moore are strangers to retail development. Collins entered the Oklahoma market five years ago and recently developed 240 Penn Park shopping center in south Oklahoma City. The last two years Moore has welcomed restaurants and retailers such as The Home Depot, Kohl's, Buffalo Wild Wings, Applebee's, Starbucks and Gordmans.

Collins said the reasons for choosing Moore for his latest project are obvious.

"I go where the numbers are," he said.

Moore City Manager Steve Eddy also believes Moore is a logical choice for such a development.

"I think it's the old adage of location, location, location," Eddy said.

Existing businesses in the area, such as Ross and City College, will be rebuilt to become part of the new development, Collins said. Eddy said Shops at Moore woke up the east side of the highway, which has been deteriorating as the west side welcomed a Wal-Mart Supercenter and the Riverwalk retail development over the years.

"Pretty soon that will all be new," Eddy said of the east side of I-35.

Collins said Ross, Office Depot and JC Penney Co. Inc will be the first tenants to occupy the new shopping center.

Ebrey said Shops at Moore not only will be a destination spot for residents, but it also will bring shoppers from across the metro.

"Penneys will definitely be a regional draw," Ebrey said.

Shops at Moore was not the first development in Moore and it won't be the last. More surely will come to Moore.

"Things are really happening now," Eddy said.

I am willing to bet JC Penney will be closing the Crossroads store.

16. Default Re: Demolition on east side of I35 in Moore

Quote Originally Posted by OklaCity_75
    I am willing to bet JC Penney will be closing the Crossroads store.
    Yep... sure looks that way

This will signal the official death knell for Crossroads.

But good for Moore. Those vacant, ugly buildings have been a blight for way too long.

I noticed on the west side of I35 across from Crossroads that all of the neighborhood is now vacant for the new highway project. I also noticed the gang writings on a lot of the properties. Bet ya the mall will look the same in a few years. I'm excited to hear the news about JC Penny and the other big stores comming to the East side in Moore.

This is a link to what the center will look like

http://www.smileamerica.com/business...rendering).pdf

sorry should have added this on the previous reply...also from the city of Moore's website...
    Finally a Petsmart!!...the rest not so exciting

The major Tenants already signed up are JC Penney, Ross Dress for Less, Office Depot, PetsMart, City College, Famous Footwear, Sally Beauty, Fashion Bug, Vintage Stock and Men’s Wearhouse. Burk Collins & Company, Ltd. is in negotiations with several other national box Tenants for the site.

There will be several out parcel Tenants on the site and Ricky’s Café will build a new restaurant.

and for those that don't already know...the weird shaped building going up in front of the home depot on 19th is going to be a starbucks....guess it's being built on the land that is leased from the developer of the upcoming Fritt's Farm addition and they required starbucks to build it in that style

Moore is big time now w/ a starbucks : )

Question Re: Demolition on east side of I35 in Moore

Why did Moore not make that man sell his home? Can’t the city make people sell their home in the greater interest of the city as whole (like at Tinker and behind Crossroads Mall)?

etl...I think they would have done that, but I think either Target had a backup or they got pi**ed off with the people trying to get twice what their house was worth and just let it go...my friend says a lot of them are still living back there hoping another offer comes their way again

Unhappy Re: Demolition on east side of I35 in Moore

Well that was unfair to the people who did want to sell! Oh, now Moore won’t get that boost in its economy! :-( Nothing more I can do. Just forgive and forget!

Ah, I was wondering when I read sometime back that Collins and Co and bought that Microtel Inn and Suites in Moore from Janki Inns for $2 million.

I was thinking to myself why would Collins and Co buy a hotel, they are more into retail and restaurant properties. I do not think they have any hotels on their portfolio.

Does anyone know the website for Collins and Co??

Thread Information