Widgets Magazine
Page 20 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: IKEA

Default Re: IKEA

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Hate to break it to everyone, but Tulsa isn't always the first choice. However, they do have investors there who will buy franchises and we don't always have them ready to do that here in OKC. In that respect, we often lag Wichita.
    Would you say that's changing?

LaMadeline Is going to Norman, right?

Blog Entries

We are fortunate right now that our food entrepreneurs are investing in local concepts. We still lag behind in bringing some good chains in. Norman sure seems to be reeling them in though.

I am so glad that Rover brought up the subject of investors buying franchises. I think that is a huge overlooked reason why one market gets a national chain before another one. As someone who recently did due diligence on buying a healthcare franchise, I learned a lot about how this works. My suspicion is that there are a lot of national retail franchise companies that would be happy to entertain inquiries from OKC or Tulsa, and on the coasts especially they probably don't have an ingrained bias towards or against either market, but it's just a matter of local interest. What can OKC do to foster local entrepreneurship? (Incidentally I don't think this applies much to IKEA which is the original topic of this thread but it probably does apply to lots of other concepts)

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    I am so glad that Rover brought up the subject of investors buying franchises. I think that is a huge overlooked reason why one market gets a national chain before another one. As someone who recently did due diligence on buying a healthcare franchise, I learned a lot about how this works. My suspicion is that there are a lot of national retail franchise companies that would be happy to entertain inquiries from OKC or Tulsa, and on the coasts especially they probably don't have an ingrained bias towards or against either market, but it's just a matter of local interest. What can OKC do to foster local entrepreneurship? (Incidentally I don't think this applies much to IKEA which is the original topic of this thread but it probably does apply to lots of other concepts)
    There's a ton of entrepreneurship in OKC. Pretty much everyone I know has a side business of some sort. I just think a lot of people think of every national chain as Walmart. Once you let one in, they'll build one on every corner so investors are probably not so confident to bring in a chain.

It's been discussed on this thread a few times, but IKEA choosing OKC or Tulsa wouldn't really be based on either singular market. This is a destination store in probably the purest sense of the term so they would position it in a place that would draw the most customers possible. With there now being 2 in Dallas, the only one to the north of us is in Kansas City. Tulsa would probably make the most sense for them to pull in customers from Arkansas as well as OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    We are fortunate right now that our food entrepreneurs are investing in local concepts. We still lag behind in bringing some good chains in. Norman sure seems to be reeling them in though.
    The thing about OKC is I think the local dining scene here is strong enough that I really don't feel the need/want for the national chains. One exception to that would be that I would love to see a McCormick & Schmicks here. Other than that, I am pretty satisfied with the local dining scene here. There are still a few holes, but I would much rather see them filled by local restaurateurs than chains.

i got their meatballs swangin........

just get the freaking main store here, or FOH

9. Default Re: IKEA

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Somehow i doubt people will go out of their way to go eat meatballs when they're not a "captive" audience at the store.

But hey, we buy $8 nachos at a football game, but still buy the $4 version at Taco Bueno. Same with hotdogs. Maybe they're on to something and we'll all be surprised. Definitely not aware of a fast food chain serving meatballs......lol

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew4OU View Post
    I don't think anyone's posted this, but IKEA recently announced they are now making weekly deliveries to select zip codes in Oklahoma once a week for a flat rate of $99. Hopefully this is a sign they're considering entering the OKC or Tulsa markets.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/store/frisco/service
    Zip Codes: http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/img/loc...o_okc_zips.pdf
    This was pretty much how it started for Milwaukee. For several years they delivered to Milwaukee from the store by Ohare I think for 79.00 once a week. (A little over an hour drive) Now Milwaukee is getting their own store. So it might not be anytime soon, but it might happen. I figure maybe an Oklahoma store, San Antonio, and maybe second Houston in the next 10 years or so.

I've been to the IKEA in Dallas several times with the now ex-wife and I never understood why people are attracted this store. But then again, this is coming from a man that can spend an hour or 2 at Lowe's and walk out with nothing !!!

A San Antonio area store was announced in November. A Fort Worth store has also been announced.
    IKEA, announced it is submitting plans to the City of Live Oak, Texas for a San Antonio-area store that would increase the Swedish company’s U.S. presence with its fifth store in the state. Pending approvals, construction of IKEA Live Oak could begin in Spring 2018, with an opening in Summer 2019.
    Pending necessary approvals and agreements, construction of an IKEA Fort Worth could begin Spring 2018, with an opening Summer 2019. Until then, Metroplex customers can shop at Collin County’s IKEA Frisco, online at IKEA-USA.com, or in Grand Prairie as of Fall 2017. Two other Texas stores are located in Houston and Round Rock, and a San Antonio-area store is planned to open Summer 2019 in Live Oak.

Located approximately 10 miles north of downtown Fort Worth, the 289,000-square-foot proposed IKEA Fort Worth and its 900 parking spaces would be built on 27 acres at the southwestern corner of Interstate 35W and N. Tarrant Parkway.

Located approximately 15 miles northeast of downtown San Antonio, the 289,000-square-foot proposed IKEA store and its approximately 1,000 parking spaces would be built on 31 acres at the southwestern corner of Interstate 35 and Loop 1604.

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    I've been to the IKEA in Dallas several times with the now ex-wife and I never understood why people are attracted this store. But then again, this is coming from a man that can spend an hour or 2 at Lowe's and walk out with nothing !!!
    Agree with the IKEA sentiment. Went through the Frisco store and saw endless aisles of some of the *crappiest* "furniture" I'd seen at absurd prices. Yet people were handing over money like it was going out of style. Didn't get it then. Still don't. We came out with a couple sets of drinking glasses at a pretty decent price, but not truckloads of stuff the way their stores are clearly intended to generate. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Agree with the IKEA sentiment. Went through the Frisco store and saw endless aisles of some of the *crappiest* "furniture" I'd seen at absurd prices. Yet people were handing over money like it was going out of style. Didn't get it then. Still don't. We came out with a couple sets of drinking glasses at a pretty decent price, but not truckloads of stuff the way their stores are clearly intended to generate. Oh well.
    I have basically the same feelings. They do have a few decent things. Like I got a decent dresser and nightstand for my daughter at a good price. But the vast majority of their stuff just seems like crap and it isn't cheap, especially compared to other lower end furniture. I would also never touch their baby furniture, that stuff gets recalled all the time.

And now for a completely different side of things - bought some CD racks (with sliding doors, not just open racks) about 15 years ago from the one in the northern burbs of Chicago, they've survived moving from there to Puyallup, WA, then to Sumner, WA, then to OKC, and they're still completely totally rock-solid, just a few scratches that I've covered with a Sharpie.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    And now for a completely different side of things - bought some CD racks (with sliding doors, not just open racks) about 15 years ago from the one in the northern burbs of Chicago, they've survived moving from there to Puyallup, WA, then to Sumner, WA, then to OKC, and they're still completely totally rock-solid, just a few scratches that I've covered with a Sharpie.
    I don't understand how people who have never owned or used IKEA merchandise can definitively call it cheap product. Not one of my IKEA products have been difficult to assemble or fallen apart in the several years we've owned them. My wife grew up on IKEA furniture that is still going strong 20 years later.

Minimalist doesn't mean cheap or brittle. It just means that maybe you don't need a lion's head carved into the corners of your solid oak recliner.

They have cheap stuff as well, and if the only thing people know is their super cheap products then they could easily be inclined to think it's all like that. My daughters bedroom is all IKEA. Her quality bed and dressers are solid and will last her for over a decade at least. My fat self has spend many nights in her toddler bed without any issues. Meanwhile, the little storage shelf we paid $30 for splintered while screwing it together.

Even at IKEA you get what you pay for if you shop their bargain section.

I've spent over $1,000 on a bed frame (every year they release a Stockholm collection of items with some choice items for mid century fans) that's frame, not bed, made of solid walnut throughout with stitched leather headboard pad and looks like it could have been designed by Hans Knoll.

Do you also "not get" Trader Joe's?

IKEA is hiring for the Grand Prairie, TX store. Hoping that they will open before OU vs. TX.

Grand Prairie, TX IKEA opens December 13, 2017

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/about_ikea...irie-december#

It's (possibly) happening!!

IKEA considering Oklahoma City

The mother of all retailers, Swedish-founded IKEA, is considering a location in north Oklahoma City.

OKCTalk has learned that initial talks have commenced to bring the legendary company to an area near Memorial Road, most likely in or near the Chisholm Creek development located between Pennsylvania and Western Avenues on the south side of Kilpatrick Turnpike.

A typical IKEA store is a distinct blue and yellow – the national colors of Sweden – and comprised of approximately 300,000 square feet.

In the customary two-story layout, shoppers enter on the second level and follow a counter-clockwise route through an extensive showroom of furniture and home accessories. Located on the first level are a market hall, self-serve warehouse area and checkout.

Each IKEA includes a restaurant serving local cuisine and beverages along with traditional Swedish food including their famous Swedish potatoes and meatballs.

Almost all of IKEA’s furniture is designed to be assembled by the customer, which the company claims to reduce costs and increase value. Most items have one-word Scandanivian names.

The nearest store to Oklahoma City is located in Frisco, Texas. Currently, over 400 IKEAs are operating in 49 countries around the world.

The Memorial Road corridor in the far north area of town continues to be the focus of many big-box retailers and new-to-market chains. Recent additions include Von Maur, H&M, Cabela's and TopGolf, and Costco just commenced construction on the southeast corner of Memorial and Western.

That would make my year.

Thanks Pete. There goes my income.

Ikea would be a very welcomed addition to OKC . . .

Thread Information