Widgets Magazine
Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: IKEA

Default Re: IKEA

As much as I'd like the convenience. Tulsa makes more sense from a business perspective. This grants access to the northern Arkansas market. Fayetteville and Ft. Smith.

Memphis has hit a snag over property valuations. The city says the land is valued around $1.7 million. The county assessor has it at almost $6 million. Will interesting to see how that plays out.

OKC would be the best place for Ikea. Right where the old AMC flea market on NW 10th and Penn was. This is not a high dollar type furniture store for the Well To Do's.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    OKC would be the best place for Ikea. Right where the old AMC flea market on NW 10th and Penn was. This is not a high dollar type furniture store for the Well To Do's.
    OKCRT,
    There's a slight problem with that location, it now is the new home for the Salvation Army. I don't know if they occupy the whole corner though, so maybe it's possible.
    C. T.

They have recently announced the intent to also build stores in Jacksonville, FL and Grand Prarie, TX. If you're counting, that makes two locations in the DFW metroplex.

Quote Originally Posted by cxl144 View Post
    They have recently announced the intent to also build stores in Jacksonville, FL and Grand Prarie, TX. If you're counting, that makes two locations in the DFW metroplex.
    Yes, the Grand Prairie location has been discussed here previously.

I guess I would much rather see a Nebraska Furniture Mart built here in OKC, than an IKEA. I understand the draw for some people to IKEA, but it really is just cheap "dorm room" type furniture. Ikea has brand recognition, but as far as actual offerings...I'm not sure there's really that much to get excited about.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This

IKEA isn't limited to just furniture, though. They're really a home store. They also sell all sorts of housewares, as well as kitchen cabinets, sinks, appliances, bedding, toys... And some of their items come with pretty substantial warranties too. If you don't think there's a lot to get excited about, you've probably never walked through an IKEA showroom.

While most of their furniture isn't solid wood, it's still much better quality than the pressboard flat-pack furniture from Walmart or Target, and usually at about the same price too. It's also more fashion-forward than most other flat-pack furniture retailers, too.

Now, I wouldn't call IKEA a game changer if we landed one. But they are economic powerhouses pretty much anywhere they go, and they would do a LOT of business here - so they would be a welcome addition to our city.

I disagree. IKEA IS a game changer. For those with mid century modern taste and the ability to assemble it. It's got some of the best looking stuff anywhere. Their modular kitchens are stunning. The lighting is crazy cheap and striking. They've always had premium stuff but recently they've upped their game with modular knoll style leather sofas. My last haul came up with a bunch of solid wood framed eames style seating and a $1000 solid oak bed, which despite the price is a massive value.

Another great thing that comes with a home town ikea is CONTRACTORS! You sit with the contractor, get dimensions and utility locations, then head to ikea and sit with the salesperson/room designer. You pick out your kitchen, bath, bedroom, walkin closet, etc. ikea decides what size you need and where it can fit, ikea delivers it. The contractor assembles and hangs it in a day. I did an ikea kitchen in a rental property, for less than the quotes just to refinish the cabinets and install a granite counter cover to do a whole kitchen, top to bottom + new SS appliances and solid wood baker block counters.

I'm starting to sound like a fanboy here but it's just so SO much more than billy shelves and meatballs.

I think every IKEA I've ever seen has been in the 'Burbs. About zero chance they would move in at 10th and Penn.

My guess would be between Moore and Norman, or somewhere along Memorial. Most IKEAs are in the burbs and that's really where it belongs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    I think every IKEA I've ever seen has been in the 'Burbs. About zero chance they would move in at 10th and Penn.
    There's an urban IKEA in south Philly on the river. It's not downtown, but it's in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    My guess would be between Moore and Norman, or somewhere along Memorial. Most IKEAs are in the burbs and that's really where it belongs.
    If the OKC market is the only consideration, I feel like the ideal spot for IKEA would be Norman on the 24th street development. But for them to get the maximum value, it would at least have to be in the Memorial corridor so they could grab Tulsa and Arkansas markets. And I think it's a total misconception to say that IKEA is a cheap store. Yes it is very budget friendly, but IKEA's brand is about maximizing space in a very stylish and affordable way. Their closet, office, and kitchen systems are incredible, especially if you hate clutter. It's great for kids rooms, and there are plenty of well off people that shop at IKEA because it's an awesome value.

And as nice as it would be for Nebraska Furniture Mart to come to OKC, looking at their website, I just see more Mathis Brothers furniture, albeit probably better quality, but there is nothing in this market that comes close to what IKEA offers.

I think in an older area near downtown would be perfect for OKC. I think that's what they did in Stl. It would serve the whole city. Put that in Norman or Edmond and many potential customers would prob. not shop there. Put it in a central location and serve all the masses. Plus it could and prob. would vitalize an area that needs it much more than Memorial Rd or 24th in Norman.

I seen a house that had been remodeled inside and out with IKEA everywhere , very modern. It's middle of the road IMO. Not bad at all but not upper end. Would be a good fit for OKC.

I think in an older area near downtown would be perfect for OKC. I think that's what they did in Stl. It would serve the whole city. Put that in Norman or Edmond and many potential customers would prob. not shop there. Put it in a central location and serve all the masses. Plus it could and prob. would vitalize an area that needs it much more than Memorial Rd or 24th in Norman.
    Only place near downtown I can maybe see it is along Reno between I-235 and MLK. Other than that, I would prefer it not go downtown simply because their standard big box format would detract from the urban fabric and hinder walkability. Of course they could make it urban but I really don't see them doing that in a market like OKC.

Another perfect type of spot would have been where the Sams is going in at the old Lynn Hickey dealership. That type of area would just be the perfect place for a store like this IMO. I think IKEA would really do well in OKC and they would no doubt draw well from Tulsa and Wichita. There are plenty of people in OKC area that drive down to Dallas for no other reason than to shop the IKEA. I am also pretty sure Mathis Bros would oppose it with all their might.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_M View Post
    If the OKC market is the only consideration, I feel like the ideal spot for IKEA would be Norman on the 24th street development. But for them to get the maximum value, it would at least have to be in the Memorial corridor so they could grab Tulsa and Arkansas markets. And I think it's a total misconception to say that IKEA is a cheap store. Yes it is very budget friendly, but IKEA's brand is about maximizing space in a very stylish and affordable way. Their closet, office, and kitchen systems are incredible, especially if you hate clutter. It's great for kids rooms, and there are plenty of well off people that shop at IKEA because it's an awesome value.

And as nice as it would be for Nebraska Furniture Mart to come to OKC, looking at their website, I just see more Mathis Brothers furniture, albeit probably better quality, but there is nothing in this market that comes close to what IKEA offers.
    IKEA is a destination store. People would go anywhere in the Metro for it. Look at were the current DFW one is, way up north in Frisco, but it is always packed. I know when they built in Cincinnati way up in a Northern Burb, I knew a ton of people who drove in from Kentucky and downtown for it.

Really I see Tulsa being a better spot for them. Because people from OKC would still go there, plus they'd get NW Arkansas. In OKC, it probably wouldn't get much from Arkansas, Wichita is just a little further from Tulsa. And that would be a store more in between the DFW and KC stores, where OKC wouldn't split the gap as well.

My girlfriend works at IKEA Portland. People drive up to 3 hours to that store. Just FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    IKEA is a destination store. People would go anywhere in the Metro for it. Look at were the current DFW one is, way up north in Frisco, but it is always packed. I know when they built in Cincinnati way up in a Northern Burb, I knew a ton of people who drove in from Kentucky and downtown for it.

Really I see Tulsa being a better spot for them. Because people from OKC would still go there, plus they'd get NW Arkansas. In OKC, it probably wouldn't get much from Arkansas, Wichita is just a little further from Tulsa. And that would be a store more in between the DFW and KC stores, where OKC wouldn't split the gap as well.
    Oklahoma City is pretty culturally tied to the Fort Smith, Arkansas area. People in that part of Arkansas probably go to Oklahoma City more than they do Little Rock.

I don't think IKEA will end up in Tulsa because of their small market size. A lot of retailers that choose Tulsa over OKC do so because of concentrated income but I don't believe that is as much of a factor for IKEA as it is for Costco or other higher end grocery stores or department stores. An OKC location would draw from Tulsa, Wichita, Amarillo, and Ft Smith, AR. Remember that Bentonville, AR is 3 hours from Kansas City so people in the NWA market will probably go there.

I guess I didn't realize that the Bentonville area was only 3 hours from KC. Excluding Amarillo, I think anyone that would come to OKC would go to Tulsa, and Tulsa is much closer to the Arkansas crowd. Regardless I don't see either city getting an IKEA any time soon, but you never know.

IKEA officially announces new Grand Prairie, TX store opening fall of 2017.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/about_ikea...es_contractors

23. Default Re: IKEA

So they decided to go to the complete opposite end of town. For the DFW area, it makes sense though. If you live on the Frisco side, you NEVER go to the south side, and vice versa. That hour drive between the two areas might as well be 8 hours.

But i dont think you're going to see one in OKC unless we can triple our population.

Default Re: IKEA coming to OKC?

Frisco remains the closer, easier location for my lovely, unless tying an Ikea shopping trip for her (and a meal/nap for me) with a performance at Bass Hall in FW that night or the night before. Then the Grand Prairie location will make more sense once it opens.

Not sure if/when Ikea comes to OK more than one trunk or truckload at a time. Not soon enough for my lovely though.

25. Default Re: IKEA

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    My girlfriend works at IKEA Portland. People drive up to 3 hours to that store. Just FYI.
    They recently announced a second store in the Denver area. I don't understand the appeal. It's a European Walmart. Poor quality merchandise destined for the apartment dumpster within a year.

Thread Information