Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: IKEA

1. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

I had a similar discussion with my wife yesterday about kid furniture. She's on the Ikea side, and I'm obviously on the other side. Just different experiences growing up and whatever. To each his own.

Now personally, I'm still going to be dancing a jig if Ikea came here. The food products are some tastey stuff and the kitchen stuff is neat too.

Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

I'm amazed at how many people complain about the quality of IKEA products. I hate to use this phrase but..."It is what it is." To compare it to high quality furniture is comparing apples to oranges. If you want to spend $3,000 on a sofa, don't go to IKEA. If you want to spend $500 on a sofa, then go. IKEA does not market itself as high-end furniture! It's like complaining that your Hyundai compact car doesn't have bluetooth technology, a 20-CD changer and seat warmers!

On that note, I love IKEA because I understand what I'm getting when I go. Picture frames are $7 to $10 dollars. The same picture frame at Hobby Lobby or Target is $12 to $20. I know, not high-dollar items so who cares? But I needed 20+ frames for my photography, and the savings adds up.

I also love that the furniture is European-sized. Yes, I can get a 12-piece sectional sofa from Mathis Brothers, but I don't have 15 feet for a SOFA in my home. I'm a minimalist, so I like smaller, more proportionately-scaled pieces of furniture. Bigger is not always better!

I also love the modern, clean-lined design. Another feature not easily found in Oklahoma City. As another commentator stated, I don't like the "weird" so-called modern furniture that Surburban carries, and the one sofa I liked was $15,000. Seriously? It's not that I can't afford it, I just think it's ridiculous to spend that kind of money on furniture!

And not to slam Mathis Brothers or any other local company, but very little of their furniture is solid wood. It's veneer so don't kid yourselves. And just because you pay $3,000 for a dining table and chairs doesn't mean it's high quality. Besides, they don't carry anything modern and I wouldn't DARE guilt my children into keeping a hideous piece of furniture that my grandmother bought 75 years ago just because it's still in good shape! That does not make it an antique...it just makes it old and out of style!

By the way, I go to IKEA often, so for those who love IKEA like I do but don't want to make the trip, I'll go for you. Just let me know.

renovatekate@cox.net

Quote Originally Posted by RenovateKate View Post
    I'm amazed at how many people complain about the quality of IKEA products. I hate to use this phrase but..."It is what it is." To compare it to high quality furniture is comparing apples to oranges. If you want to spend $3,000 on a sofa, don't go to IKEA. If you want to spend $500 on a sofa, then go. IKEA does not market itself as high-end furniture! It's like complaining that your Hyundai compact car doesn't have bluetooth technology, a 20-CD changer and seat warmers!

On that note, I love IKEA because I understand what I'm getting when I go. Picture frames are $7 to $10 dollars. The same picture frame at Hobby Lobby or Target is $12 to $20. I know, not high-dollar items so who cares? But I needed 20+ frames for my photography, and the savings adds up.

I also love that the furniture is European-sized. Yes, I can get a 12-piece sectional sofa from Mathis Brothers, but I don't have 15 feet for a SOFA in my home. I'm a minimalist, so I like smaller, more proportionately-scaled pieces of furniture. Bigger is not always better!

I also love the modern, clean-lined design. Another feature not easily found in Oklahoma City. As another commentator stated, I don't like the "weird" so-called modern furniture that Surburban carries, and the one sofa I liked was $15,000. Seriously? It's not that I can't afford it, I just think it's ridiculous to spend that kind of money on furniture!

And not to slam Mathis Brothers or any other local company, but very little of their furniture is solid wood. It's veneer so don't kid yourselves. And just because you pay $3,000 for a dining table and chairs doesn't mean it's high quality. Besides, they don't carry anything modern and I wouldn't DARE guilt my children into keeping a hideous piece of furniture that my grandmother bought 75 years ago just because it's still in good shape! That does not make it an antique...it just makes it old and out of style!

By the way, I go to IKEA often, so for those who love IKEA like I do but don't want to make the trip, I'll go for you. Just let me know.

renovatekate@cox.net
    Ikea is know as "shabby Chic". Like you say, it is what it is. Their funiture seems functional and works well for college students and people starting out. I go to the IKEA in Frisco and it is always busy. I do like some of their products and furniture ok. Quality is good but not exceptional.

So, the last word on this is that Tuscana is still going forward, and they haven't ruled out the possibility of trying to get an IKEA there, correct guys?

Quote Originally Posted by cedbled View Post
    So, the last word on this is that Tuscana is still going forward, and they haven't ruled out the possibility of trying to get an IKEA there, correct guys?
    This thread should disappear for a couple of years. Im sure the Tuscana people would love to have IKEA and may/did try but its not going to happen for several years.

Smile re: IKEA coming to OKC?

Hi everyone,

I am new to OKC and OKCtalk and I really glad I found this forum. I currently do ikea runs for friends and I was wondering how many of you would be interested in me offering this service to you for a reasonable fee. That is, being a personal shopper for items from Ikea and delivering them to OKC - eliminates Ikea's excessive shipping fees and saves you time to send with loved ones. Please share your thoughts. Thank you )

Default Ikea Deliveries for OKC residents

Hi everyone,

I am new to OKC and OKCtalk and I really glad I found this forum. I currently do ikea runs for friends because I am always in Dallas and I was wondering how many of you would be interested in me offering this service to you for a reasonable fee. That is, being a personal shopper for items from Ikea and delivering them to OKC - eliminates Ikea's excessive shipping fees and saves you time to send with loved ones. Please share your thoughts. Thank you )

Default Re: Ikea Deliveries for OKC residents

Sorry to sound fussy, but shabby chic does not in any way, mean cheap but stylish things. Shabby Chic is actually a specific style of design usually involving faux antiques, with distressed finishes, and a lot of antique style linens and lace, mixed with an eclectic mix of modern items. It is really just a european term for what we in Oklahoma would call "rustic". I know to some on this board this will sound silly, but everyone has their pet peeves, and this is one of mine. Ikea is not even remotely Shabby Chic, it is really more Scandinavian modern, but with a lot of products that could be folded into a lot of styles.

All that being said, I'm a fan of Ikea and would love to have one...

Shabby Chic is a store, or at least they were until they closed them all but in NYC and Santa Monica when the economy cratered, we had one in The Domain in Austin right by our office. Now it is mainly an online store and distributor through other stores like Target. It is the style that EBAH stated. Ikea is affordable modern furniture, most pieces are better in quality than you would find in a Big Lots Furniture, rental center or Wal Mart but it is not the equivalent of the large furniture stores and they don't really claim to be.

I'd be interested on occasion.

12. Default Re: Ikea Deliveries for OKC residents

Quote Originally Posted by mikesimpsons82 View Post
    y'know, the elitism on this forum is really starting to get out of control.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzytoad View Post
    y'know, the elitism on this forum is really starting to get out of control.
    How do you mean, fuzzytoad?

Obviously, some people think ikea is just about the most uncoolest thing going that one can become interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Obviously, some people think ikea is just about the most uncoolest thing going that one can become interested in.
    Last I checked my updated standard reference manual for elitist activities, I failed to see IKEA on the list. Maybe someone should send me a new one.

IKEA is a great place to shop for inexpensive minimalist furniture. I'd say the quality is on par with the furniture purchased at Target. Great for college kids. I wouldn't go so far as to pay someone to purchase items for me, but when we're in Dallas we usually stop by to pick up a few knick-knacks, swedish meatballs, and, strangely, the only place outside of New Jersey where you can buy a Tarantino's pizza turnover (or panzarotti, bascially a deep fried calzone).

I'm just bothered by people who assume that desires for goods from certain stores are "elitist". Especially a cheap place like IKEA? I don't get it. I'm starting to wonder if people really know what the word means. Maybe fuzzytoad can enlighten me.

16. Default Re: Ikea Deliveries for OKC residents

Quote Originally Posted by JerzeeGrlinOKC View Post
    I'm just bothered by people who assume that desires for goods from certain stores are "elitist". Especially a cheap place like IKEA? I don't get it. I'm starting to wonder if people really know what the word means. Maybe fuzzytoad can enlighten me.
    Or maybe you should pay attention JerzeeGrlinOKC.

I was commenting on mikesimpson's elitist post, not Scorpiondiva's post about a shopping run to Ikea.

Please direct your attitude elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzytoad View Post
    Or maybe you should pay attention JerzeeGrlinOKC.

I was commenting on mikesimpson's elitist post, not Scorpiondiva's post about a shopping run to Ikea.

Please direct your attitude elsewhere.
    Last I looked, mikesimpsons post does not contain anything. So maybe you can just chill a little.

Oh ok it came back. I just saw an x last time.

Fair enough.

Accept my apology for the miscommunication.

19. Default Re: Ikea Deliveries for OKC residents

np

MadMonk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JerzeeGrlinOKC View Post
    I wouldn't go so far as to pay someone to purchase items for me,
    I think that's the meaning of the pic. That's how I took it anyway.

BTW, welcome to OKCTalk ScorpionDiva.

Thanks for the welcome, MadMonk. Thanks for the replies too...I see how this might be a joke to some but the same could be said of other convenience services like drycleaning delivery, grocery delivery. Just an idea I had and wanted to get your thoughts so I appreciate the feedback...keep it coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpiondiva View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am new to OKC and OKCtalk and I really glad I found this forum. I currently do ikea runs for friends because I am always in Dallas and I was wondering how many of you would be interested in me offering this service to you for a reasonable fee. That is, being a personal shopper for items from Ikea and delivering them to OKC - eliminates Ikea's excessive shipping fees and saves you time to send with loved ones. Please share your thoughts. Thank you )
    You asked for my thoughts, and here they are:

If you were somehow able to get together with The Fat Tire Coallition, this would undoubtedly be the greatest force for good in the world since the Captain got together with Tennille.

We're Wal Mart people, {damit!!!}

@ Matt...good idea indeed. My husband would like that. Thanks )

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    I think that's the meaning of the pic. That's how I took it anyway.

BTW, welcome to OKCTalk ScorpionDiva.
    Exactly. The picture had zero to do with Ikea. But in fuzzytoad's case, ignorance is bliss. Well, that or plain outright stupidity.

Thread Information