Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: IKEA

Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

We're planning a trip to IKEA in May. Should be fun.

I bought a sofa at the one in Frisco last summer, and will probably be buying the adjacent love seat soon. I like the contemporary look and bought my bedroom furniture from Suburban (oxymoron?) on Portland, but wanted to save money on my living room so I went to IKEA.

Those people comparing IKEA to Mathis Brothers or Bob Mills have obviously never been or have spent very little time around an IKEA. In Los Angeles, Dallas, pretty much everywhere they've set foot, IKEA becomes the new Wal-Mart. I know here in LA it's the first answer you get when you ask someone "I need a ..."

People also go there just for leisure and for everyday things like eating dinner. It's very strange to me, but it happens. Also, the other thing most aren't considering is that IKEA is ultra-sweede-modern and MEGA CHEAP. Where else can you get stylish halogen desk lamps for $2 or a full wood and chrome dining set that folds into itself for $110? Their products are priced to undercut every other furniture outlet around.

IKEA virtually takes over every market they reach. They are also very successful in markets where people are fond of bargain-over-cost stores like Wal-Mart.

I have no doubt that they'll make out like gangbusters in OKC.

MY criticism is OKC doesn't need one. There's already too many people who think they're ultra-sophisticated because they buy all of their decor at Target.

4. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

I didn't realize they're that cheap. What about the quality?

Just how exactly are they selling things so cheap? Very small profit margin? Is that why they need 2 million people within 60 hours driving range to add up all those small profit margin?

Are they still planning on coming to OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by Taggart View Post
    MY criticism is OKC doesn't need one. There's already too many people who think they're ultra-sophisticated because they buy all of their decor at Target.
    So, you're against OKC getting an IKEA because we don't need even more people who think they're sophisticated?

oh kayyyy

For those that are unfamiliar, maybe a visit to their website would give you and idea of what they have and what they charge. Cheap and cool? Yes. Last a lifetime? Doubtful.

We can talk all about IKEA, but the reality is that we are probably a decade from being on their radar.

8. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    So, you're against OKC getting an IKEA because we don't need even more people who think they're sophisticated?

oh kayyyy
    I don't think he meant to say that he doesn't want any more sophisticated people around here. He's saying that the sophisticated people would still rather shop at Target than IKEA.

Well, at first, I thought it was upscale and expensive. Now it is known to be cheap and affordable. I think IKEA can do it in OKC, considering the high traffic that Walmart get, then people would definately shop at IKEA only if they are aware that prices is cheap and affordable.

I don't see a reason for IKEA to not locate in OKC. If Walmart can do it (look at all of the stores Walmart have here), then IKEA can do it. As someone stated that IKEA is picky on location with 2 million people within 24 hours range, then IKEA is judgemental of Oklahomans. We are the people that spend, spend, spend, so IKEA is blind to that. Look at Hobby Lobby, they're fairly expensive, but it doesn't stop people from driving up their sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I didn't realize they're that cheap. What about the quality?

Just how exactly are they selling things so cheap? Very small profit margin? Is that why they need 2 million people within 60 hours driving range to add up all those small profit margin?
    I can't make some pieces of furniture (materials alone) for what we can buy a comparable piece at Ikea. It is not as good of a quality as what I could make or what you could buy at a traditional furniture store but it is better than what you can find at Big Lots/Gardenridge and slightly better quality than what Target offers. It's not Bernhardt or that quality but they do have some higher grade stuff that is in between a Target and Dane Design/Suburban in terms of quality. We have some Ikea storage cabinets and coffee/end tables, we are also going to use the Ikea kitchen cabinets when we redo the kitchen because they are a whole lot less than what we can buy at Lowe's or Home Depot. Their stuff looks good for the money, no it isn't as finely detailed as you would find at a high end store but then most who are considering Ikea stuff aren't willing to spend thousands for a piece when a few hundred dollar piece will do the job and look nice doing it.

It is not just a furniture store, it is a HOME store. You can outfit an entire house from an Ikea, in addition to furniture they have light fixtures, silverware, cookware, dishes, rugs, sheets, etc. They have a good food section with a bunch of Swedish foods that are pretty good.

Look at the online catalog or better yet sign up for the print one, it has more stuff and the more OKC addresses in their mailing list might make an impression.

If you go to one, try the Swedish Meatballs in their food court.

We bought a bed frame there about 4 years ago for under $100. We used it for a while and now its the teenagers bed, still in great shape.

Quote Originally Posted by southernskye View Post
    If you go to one, try the Swedish Meatballs in their food court.

We bought a bed frame there about 4 years ago for under $100. We used it for a while and now its the teenagers bed, still in great shape.
    We've been pretty disappointed with the furniture (maybe you can blame me for being awful at putting things together, too, perhaps), but love the accents and small decor items. Would love to see one come to the metro!

On the topic of the food court though, love the Swedish Meatballs, but IKEA also has Tarrantino's Panzarottis (its a deep fried pizza turnover). Its just awesome. Only place you can get them is in south Jersey or at IKEAs, randomly. Love the swedish lox too.

lamps, snacks and bed frames ... may not be a target but sounds like it ight as well be. Just not seeing the excitement of the place, certainly not to a level of making a multi hour journey to hit one

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    lamps, snacks and bed frames ... may not be a target but sounds like it ight as well be. Just not seeing the excitement of the place, certainly not to a level of making a multi hour journey to hit one
    Most people like it for the style of stuff they have. Most of their stuff is pretty minimalistic contemporary stuff typical of Scandinavian design. That's why I like it, and why most people I know like it. The place is full of that type of stuff, but isn't so common in places like Target or Wal-Mart.

It's pretty fun. I would have to agree that the quality of the merch is questionable.

I would take IKEA over Target any day.

My experience with IKEA is that their electronics are definitely questionable unless it's a relatively simple item like LED lamps. Their halogens are good half of the time. I've seen IKEA lamps last for years and some catch fire within a few weeks.

Their furniture looks much better than the furniture at Wal-Mart but is only slightly better in construction. Most is made out of MDF and veneer like Wal-Mart. The things that are solid wood are priced a little higher, but are still not meant for very heavy use. Most of it is manufactured in China.

Everything else - pots and pans, decor, vases, silverware, artwork, bedding, linens, servingware, random items, toys, are very inexpensive and is of useable quality.

The bottom line with most Sweedish-design is that it looks great, but is more of a museum piece than something to be a functional, everyday piece of utility.

For my other comment - no, OKC NEEDS more sophisticated people. But they need people who really care about making a great interior look - not just buy everything from Target and call it done. I mean, Target has good stuff, sure. But just because you bought EVERYTHING off the shelf from Target (or IKEA) doesn't mean it's great interior design. It's like someone claiming to be a coffee expert because they go to the Starbucks on the corner "all the time." And more or less I was half-joking anyway.

Oh and an update - I just bought 24 glass vases from IKEA for a wedding arrangement and they were $2 each.

By the title, I was getting overly excited =(

Quote Originally Posted by Taggart View Post
    The bottom line with most Sweedish-design is that it looks great, but is more of a museum piece than something to be a functional, everyday piece of utility
    Not sure I buy this statement. IKEA products are some of the most functional pieces made. I have an IKEA couch that has completely removable/washable cushion covers. They also sell replacement covers if needed. Also, most of the furniture is designed for small apartments and such. Which means it is designed for optimum efficiency in a small space. That's what Swedish-modern design is all about...style and function. Your statement above seems to be missing what IKEA is all about.

19. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

X2

Quote Originally Posted by krisb View Post
    Not sure I buy this statement. IKEA products are some of the most functional pieces made. I have an IKEA couch that has completely removable/washable cushion covers. They also sell replacement covers if needed. Also, most of the furniture is designed for small apartments and such. Which means it is designed for optimum efficiency in a small space. That's what Swedish-modern design is all about...style and function. Your statement above seems to be missing what IKEA is all about.
    I'm not saying there aren't good things at IKEA, it's just that most of the products there aren't built with quality as a priority. For what they do, they do well. Style, sure. Function, most things work ok. Products that last, you usually take a chance each time.

Don't get me wrong, my style is very mod. I'm a designer and like artsy-fartsy as much as the next person. My opinions on IKEA though are you never can predict if you're really getting a true value for your money. From my experience, bedding and couches are usually their strong points.

And I'd agree with you mostly except I wouldn't put efficiency and functionality in the same category. While I agree that a good balance is ideal, designing for small spaces is always going to give some compromise in functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    As others have said, if you don't get IKEA, then it probably isn't for you. It's not for your typical Mathis Brothers crowd. I too would take IKEA over a Target or Walmart or Mathis Brothers any day of the year. There really is no place left in the metro that sells comparable furniture and products.

Quote Originally Posted by andimthomas View Post
    By the title, I was getting overly excited =(
    I think the mods should change it to be more accurage with either a ? at the end or change the title to Possibility of an IKEA in OKC?

My wife and I went to the Ikea in Frisco, TX a couple of weeks ago, while we were in Frisco for the Jimmy Buffett concert.

I couldn't wait to get out of that store. The furniture is stark, cold, and uninviting, (to me). Of course the fact that we had just got through eating at Campisi's across the street might have had something to do with not enjoying a mile long walk through the store......ha

I know IKEA was looking in alot of states for new sites. They are wanting to open like 20 new stores in ten years. They were in Oklahoma and looking at some land east of Tulsa by the soon to be Hard Rock. I know they were wanting to put an IKEA somewere in NE Oklahoma and a big reason is because all the booming in Ark.

Quote Originally Posted by In_Tulsa View Post
    I know they were wanting to put an IKEA somewere in NE Oklahoma and a big reason is because all the booming in Ark.
    They why are they looking in NE Oklahoma?

Thread Information