Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: IKEA

Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

I think that OKC is far enough away from Frisco to get one, and our demographics are improving. They target young people in apartments/college students. Portland, OR has one and Portland is not much bigger than OKC. Also they are as close to the one in Seattle as we are to the Frisco store. Their store opened up last year, so maybe we are in the pipeline to get one in the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    It would be cool to have IKEA, but OKC is too small a market and doesn't have the population required for IKEA to locate here. Most large chains or businesses have standards set up like that. I don't believe IKEA would ever come to Oklahoma based on this alone.
    We have had one here in the Austin area (on I-35 in Round Rock) for a few years now, we have similar population sizes. The rumor is that San Antonio is going to get their own and that is why the Ikea here was built so far north, that along with incentives from Round Rock. I would think that with the focus of Edmond to develop an I-35 retail area that (or along I-35 in Norman) would be the location of choice depending upon which incentive package is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken In The Rough View Post
    I don't think Mathis has anything to worry about. IKEA serves a completely different market segment. They carry inexpensive, build-it-yourself, disposible, modern, loft furniture. You won't find the kind of quality that Mathis carries in an IKEA. IKEA is trendy and fun, but the novelty has worn thin with me. I have bought stuff at IKEA and have been disappointed in its quality. It's the Wal-Mart of furniture and home decor.
    We have some Ikea stuff, it is hard to beat their stuff like bookcases/shelving for the price. If you want "Wal-Mart quality" furniture, try Big Lots Furniture. Ikea furniture is great for its intended market, if you want high end modern furniture then Dane Design or Suburban would be your choices. We do have a Motif Modern Furniture outlet store here close to South Austin in Kyle on I-35.

so, no news on this at all?

I do know that a major site criteria for IKEA is 2,000,000 people in a 60 minute drive time. I don't think OKC is there yet but I am sure IKEA is watching closely and when population numbers get a little closer to that, they will pull the trigger on a store here.

Or we could just increase the speed limit on the turnpikes to 100mph and we'd be at the 2 million figure easily

A few weeks ago, one of the newschannels said that the development just north of Quail Springs Mall (which is on hold) is to have an IKEA in it.

Quote Originally Posted by scootinger View Post
    Or we could just increase the speed limit on the turnpikes to 100mph and we'd be at the 2 million figure easily
    I second this. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    A few weeks ago, one of the newschannels said that the development just north of Quail Springs Mall (which is on hold) is to have an IKEA in it.
    2 questions:
    Is the development where the IKEA would be on hold? or just the part nort of QSM?

U remember the station u saw that on\article\webcast?

That big town center type development which is north of QSM is on hold. That development was to have an IKEA according to... I wanna say Fox 25 maybe? I wasn't watching the news, it was like a lead in blurb or something. But I was like, "Wow, IKEA?" Then I changed the channel.

10. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

A tease, probably. Just to get you to watch their channel.

It was KFOR. They interviewed the developer of Tuscana and were quoting some of the proposed features, with IKEA being one of them. I think the developer said they are starting to build parts of Tuscana, but just small offices and maybe a restaurant.

Edit: http://video.kfor.com/global/video/p...elays projects

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Watched the link to video, it sure didn't sound to me that IKEA was coming, they said it was part of the proposed retailers, but the developer also said things and the economy have changed. I'll believe it when I see it.

Also to the posters above, I believe Central OK is close to 2 million if you count the 60 minute drive, you'd have Chickasha, Shawnee, Purcell, Guthrie, El Reno, Weatherford, and all small towns in between. Lawton and Pauls Valley are right at about an hour or slightly over as well. We should be near that 2 million within hours drive depending on where in metro.

I hate to burst anybody's bubble regarding population, but St. Louis has almost 3 million people and no IKEA, the reason that has been given is that there is a huge store 4 hours away in Chicago. Also, Kansas City has 2 million in their metro and no IKEA. I'm not sure there is anything magic about the 2 million number.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Watched the link to video, it sure didn't sound to me that IKEA was coming, they said it was part of the proposed retailers, but the developer also said things and the economy have changed. I'll believe it when I see it.

Also to the posters above, I believe Central OK is close to 2 million if you count the 60 minute drive, you'd have Chickasha, Shawnee, Purcell, Guthrie, El Reno, Weatherford, and all small towns in between. Lawton and Pauls Valley are right at about an hour or slightly over as well. We should be near that 2 million within hours drive depending on where in metro.
    I wouldn't say so. The Oklahoma City-Shawnee CSA includes the majority of those cities (maybe not Weatherford or towns that are really far out), and its population is just short of 1.3 million. see Oklahoma City metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you count Tulsa as our largest suburb, then we're a shoo-in.

16. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Ditto... I think the IKEA plug in the video was only conceptual rather than official plans for an IKEA.

17. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    I hate to burst anybody's bubble regarding population, but St. Louis has almost 3 million people and no IKEA, the reason that has been given is that there is a huge store 4 hours away in Chicago. Also, Kansas City has 2 million in their metro and no IKEA. I'm not sure there is anything magic about the 2 million number.
    But Austin has one and they are what, only 3 hours from Dallas and much smaller than KC or StL. Doesn't really make any sense.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    There isn't one between Salt Lake City and Chicago, Frisco is the furthest north one in the middle of the country between SLC and Chicago. This includes the Denver market as well. I would think Denver would get one before OKC would.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    But Austin has one and they are what, only 3 hours from Dallas and much smaller than KC or StL. Doesn't really make any sense.
    When they opened up the one here there were several things that came out about the how/why they located in Round Rock. One was they got a good deal from the City of Round Rock, people assumed there would be one in San Marcos because that would be between Austin and San Antonio and it could be near the outlet malls there. One other thing about the reason for the far north location was they eventually plan on putting one in San Antonio. Another was demographics as it is a smaller market than they have traditionally located in, there was a high number of the age group that is their target demographic, plus with all the California/tech migrants who were used to Ikea I think that might have played a part in the location here.

I believe all the US market stores are franchise stores and I think the Texas ones are owned by a Texas based company. I remember reading that somewhere.

19. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

SLC has one but not Denver? Very bizarre.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

The SLC one just opened somewhat recently, before that there was none between Sacramento and Chicago with DFW (Frisco) and Phoenix (Tempe) the only ones between them but very far south.

21. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

Anyone notice that IKEA is having commercials in the OKC media market lately? It's more along the line of appliances. I think they're testing this market to see how it goes in current discussion on adding a store in OKC.

22. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Anyone notice that IKEA is having commercials in the OKC media market lately? It's more along the line of appliances. I think they're testing this market to see how it goes in current discussion on adding a store in OKC.
    Did you all know IKEA appliances are made by Whirlpool? The logo on the appliances says IKEA but underneath it has something about developed by Whirlpool.

I remember reading that since IKEA's distribution warehouses were on the coasts, it
    limited their expansion to the central portion of the US.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    SLC has one but not Denver? Very bizarre.
    I've heard distribution logistics, but one is on the way:

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Doesn't necessarily mean anything, many national retailers purchase "regional" or "national" buys so commercials get aired in markets where companies don't even do business. It's still "Branding" though, and a brand like IKEA, people including myself drive to Frisco,TX for.

Thread Information