Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: IKEA

Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

that and you get more modern looking furniture, get to hack it ikea hacker, and frankly you still come out ahead if you buy enough versus paying to have it shipped.

2. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

I am planning to make a trip this August after we move into the new place.

3. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

They make good, affordable stuff.

If it's true that Ikea locate a store in OKC, than rock on! Let's just say I'm not holding my breath at this point. Man, that would be cool. Been traveling to Houston (now Frisco of late) to fullfill my Ikea wants for too long now.

5. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

i just can't see ikea considering okc. we don't have a plethora of 30,000 dollar millionaires with their leased beemers like dee eff dub does... and they just recently got one. taking in consideration the type of my friends in dallas that would buy ikea and the people i saw shopping in the burbank store, i just don't see a large demographic of those types of folks here. our driving industries here are energy, healthcare and aviation...

6. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

Millionaires (or wannabes) are not IKEA's target. They may shop there, but that is not what IKEA is geared towards.

7. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    Millionaires (or wannabes) are not IKEA's target. They may shop there, but that is not what IKEA is geared towards.
    cuatro, my dear friend, a thirty thousand dollar millionaire is a condescending term that snobby californians use to describe (typically young) people who get their first $30,000 job, go out and buy or lease a benz or beemer and live above their means. i've had folks in california tell me dallas is the land of TTDM

30 Thousand Dollar Millionaire - The lifesyle you can wear!

I saw they just added a shirt directed at us. (OKC)

9. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

I don't think Mathis has anything to worry about. IKEA serves a completely different market segment. They carry inexpensive, build-it-yourself, disposible, modern, loft furniture. You won't find the kind of quality that Mathis carries in an IKEA. IKEA is trendy and fun, but the novelty has worn thin with me. I have bought stuff at IKEA and have been disappointed in its quality. It's the Wal-Mart of furniture and home decor.

10. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    30 Thousand Dollar Millionaire - The lifesyle you can wear!

I saw they just added a shirt directed at us. (OKC)
    bwahahahah! those shirts are awesome!

i especially like the KEEP DALLAS PRETENTIOUS! hah, take that austin.

i'm gonna have to buy that, the "okc supersooners" and the "i got shot in deep ellum" tee

11. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by edcrunk View Post
    cuatro, my dear friend, a thirty thousand dollar millionaire is a condescending term that snobby californians use to describe (typically young) people who get their first $30,000 job, go out and buy or lease a benz or beemer and live above their means. i've had folks in california tell me dallas is the land of TTDM
    Gotcha.

I'm in Houston right now, and just visited my first Ikea today..... I have to let ya'll know that O-City definitely needs one!! I grossly underestimated the sheer breadth\depth to this freakin store, and I can honestly say that should one ever come to the 405, I would be completely satisfied as to the amount of options presented.

I feel very confident in believing that this would do a LOT for the city, as far as quality of life is concerned...

I was very impressed.

Before IKEA, I think Oklahoma City needs a Container Store.

I'm actually surprised we don't have a container store yet. But I'd MUCH rather have an IKEA first.

IKEA will come to OKC when OKC has an abundance of 300 sq ft apartments. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

16. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

Does Frisco, TX have an abundance of 300 sf apartments?

My understanding is that Dallas metro has more than their fair share of small loft style apartments that IKEA caters to. Well, at least the IKEA here in Atlanta caters to that crowd. They have display after display of "How to live in 350 sq ft".

18. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

The irony is that their US stores are so anti-urban. Talk about sprawl.

The irony is that their US stores are so anti-urban. Talk about sprawl.
    The one here in Atlanta is pretty urban. It is located at Atlantic Station near midtown and is 4 stories. It has 2 levels of parking and the store itself is 2 stories on top of the parking. There are ramps to put your shopping cart on to go from one floor to the next.

Kerry, Atlanta has wayyyy more urban living options than Dallas does. The Atlantic Station Ikea is a fairly urban environment whereas the Frisco, TX (the only one in Dallas area) is wayyy out on the edge of development for the DFW area, surrounded by massive sprawl. It would be our equivalent of Deer Creek. It took me 3 hours to walk through the Frisco, IKEA. It's only 2 stories and is surrounded by a massive sea of parking (not a garage). Frisco Ikea also doesn't have the ramp to take shopping carts from level to level. I've also been to one in LA and it was fairly suburban in nature, (in a somewhat bad part of town with no condo's/apts that I could tell, just older run down homes)

21. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

The ones in the NYC area (besides the new one in Brooklyn) and Chicago are way out there.

22. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

The San Francisco location is across the bay in a very suburban area of Oakland.

I've outfitted my apartment here in Mckinney w/ IKEA pretty much... cheap and reasonably sturdy, but there is a wide range of what you can spend there... some of it not much better than some of the "put together" kits you can get from wal=mart, some pieces nicely made, though, I've been happy with it. They play up the "its good if its from Europe" thing there, but look closely at the tags . Nice store, though, an event in itself.

24. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

yap, ours in the Seattle - Tacoma area is way out too, in the suburb of Kent (S. of Seattle).
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by jarrington00 View Post
    Before IKEA, I think Oklahoma City needs a Container Store.
    Agreed - I need to get my container on.

Thread Information