Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: IKEA

Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

I think this would be the biggest retail land ever for the metro if true. Better than Whole Foods!

Quote Originally Posted by omaof2angels View Post
    I have it on good authority that the city council of Yukon has approved the sale of a plot of land for IKEA to build a store there. No word on a timeline but it definitely is going to happen. I can't wait.
    Who is good authority? Someone who works for the city?

I have it on good authority that the city council of Yukon has approved the sale of a plot of land for IKEA to build a store there. No word on a timeline but it definitely is going to happen. I can't wait.
    Shouldn't that be in the minutes of the city council? Wouldn't the DOK be all over that? Not that I wouldn't be happy, but it seems a little too under the radar to be true.

4. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

I don't see any reason to give this an ounce of credibility. There would be a public record trail to follow and the city would be touting this to anyone who would listen. Also noticed the person posting this just joined and this is their only post.

5. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    I don't see any reason to give this an once of credibility. There would be a public record trail to follow and the city would be touting this to anyone who would listen. Also noticed the person posting this just joined and this is their only post.
    ^^^ That. We seem to have a recently run of people coming here and posting goundless claims or advertisements as their very first post, and then they vanish. Perhaps some further restriction against new posters need to be made...but that is for another thread.

Yukon seems like a very unlikely spot for an IKEA. If any suburb would land it, I would expect either Norman or Moore to be the ones.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    ^^^ That. We seem to have a recently run of people coming here and posting goundless claims or advertisements as their very first post, and then they vanish. Perhaps some further restriction against new posters need to be made...but that is for another thread.

Yukon seems like a very unlikely spot for an IKEA. If any suburb would land it, I would expect either Norman or Moore to be the ones.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Yukon is landing a IKEA, this is one of the fastest growing areas of the metro, according to the 2010 census, not to mention the proximity to the new outlet mall, they didn't build new outlet mall out there for no reason. The Yukon/Mustang area is a hot area for retail right now...

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Sounds fishy but I hope you are correct. Yukon would be an odd suburb to put it in, but incentives are what matters. Any word on a formal announcement?
    They locate wherever they get the best incentive package, hence the reason why the one here is in Round Rock (next to the Round Rock Premium Outlets) and the new Denver location opening next weekend is in Centennial. If Yukon offered a better package than Norman, Moore, Midwest City or Edmond then that is more than likely where they would locate.

As far as public notice of the package, cities and states all put together incentive packages in backroom deals and once everything is agreed upon then it is publicly presented for council approval but the councilors have already indicated whether they approve of the deal or not, it happens all the time. I'm not saying that it is a done deal or not, just how things happen.

Venture, no way they'd put NE in Moore or NOrman, even wi incentives. It's too close to the one in Frisco (north Dallas) if anything, they will go west OKC or north OKC so they can pull from areas further away such as Wichita, Tulsa, Amarillo

Yawn. This goes into the "I'll believe it when I see it" category. St. Louis has 3 million people with another 2 million in Eastern MO and Southern IL, and 8 Fortune 500 HQ with all the requisite spin-off money and we don't have one because we're "only" 4 hours from Chicago. Strikes me as highly improbable that OKC is on the radar for an IKEA. I would lay down in traffic for my hometown, but you've got to be realistic.

10. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Venture, no way they'd put NE in Moore or NOrman, even wi incentives. It's too close to the one in Frisco (north Dallas) if anything, they will go west OKC or north OKC so they can pull from areas further away such as Wichita, Tulsa, Amarillo
    I really doubt people driving all the way from Wichita, Tulsa, and Amarillo really care what side of the metro area it is on - when they are already driving a few hours to get here. If anything, I would think the concentration of higher incomes would be a bigger factor than worrying about being too close to the Frisco store.

I really doubt people driving all the way from Wichita, Tulsa, and Amarillo really care what side of the metro area it is on - when they are already driving a few hours to get here. If anything, I would think the concentration of higher incomes would be a bigger factor than worrying about being too close to the Frisco store.
    No but I guarantee you IKEA cares

Wouldn't this be pretty close to the new outlet mall?

with the Outlet Mall. . perhaps the next growth plate is "due West". . .being relatively close to I-40 and Meridian, I'd love it!! Everything shouldn't be ""north" (Edmond/Piedmont/Deer Creek), "south" (South OKC/Moore/Norman) or east (MWC/Choctaw). With everything taking place on "the river". . . "west" may be the new "best thing". We truly have room to grow in four directions!!

First off, this thread rips out my heart a little bit more with every new post that doesn't say they're actually coming, which is why I really thought about whether to respond......

But, Devil's Advocate real quick:
    1. It's their only post, but they had the sense to use this existing thread, instead of creating a new one......a troll would've got more pleasure out of the latter.
    2. They did take the time to create an account here, so maybe they were compelled by the info they're holding onto.....
    3. a quick web search of the username "omaof2angels" turns up only 2 results: 1, of this post, and the other which does indicate a mother\grandmother that lives in MWC

Keep hope alive, is all I'm sayin

Personally I hope all the so called "places to shop" don't come here, I like going to Dallas for a weekend with the wife, It's a nice getaway, I like to visit Dallas' Harley Shops, Zoo, BBQ Resturants and Blues Clubs.

RCJ you can keep going there, but I would prefer to not drive to Dallas. I avoid Texas like the plauge! I only go to Texas for work and that is more than enough for me!

Bring on all the retail for OKC we can get! Tax dollars and more jobs!

I would like to see IKEA settle here. Unless and until IKEA itself makes a public announcement speculation is wasteful folly.

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    Personally I hope all the so called "places to shop" don't come here, I like going to Dallas for a weekend with the wife, It's a nice getaway, I like to visit Dallas' Harley Shops, Zoo, BBQ Resturants and Blues Clubs.
    Nothing being built in OKC is going to prevent you from doing that, there will always be different stores in different places as an excuse to go to that place.

rcjunkie, not everyone can afford to travel outside Oklahoma City. Regardless, this is a squabble, nothing more. Most people would like the convenience of shopping in OKC as an option. There are always going to be stores in other cities that don't exist here. The best ones to visit are usually unique, not chains, so I don't see anything wrong with wishing the chains are all here.

20. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

I'd love to get an IKEA and other retail, but I'd hate it if we began to resemble Dallas and Austin where the highways are littered with nothing but strip mall after strip mall.

Bbbatesokc, the best way to prevent the strip malls is zoning. I hope the new OKC plan will incorporate more mixed use requirements as well as incorporate some sort of sprawl use tax based on footage from existing infrastructure. Also using form based codes in the zoning laws will help create or emphasize character in the new/infill developments and incorporate better parking lot citing.

The zoning may deter some development, but would cause higher quality projects with more longterm use and diverse functions.

I'd love to get an IKEA and other retail, but I'd hate it if we began to resemble Dallas and Austin where the highways are littered with nothing but strip mall after strip mall.
    At least their strip malls are "nice." Ours all become bingo halls 20 years after they're built.

You mean like NW Expressway?

NW Expressway, 2nd Street Edmond, I-35 Moore, I-40 Yukon, I-240 southside, I-35 Norman, SE 29th MWC, and last but not least, Memorial Road. We are a city defined by strip mall corridors.

^^Hey,Midwest City's strip mall is pretty darn nice!

Thread Information