Widgets Magazine

Thread: Winchester Drive In

Patrick Guest

Default Winchester Drive In

Anyone ever been to Winchester? My wife and I have been toying with the idea of watching a movie there just for fun. I've never seen a drive in movie.

Our only concern is the part of town it's in.

Anyone ever been to Winchester?

Default Re: Winchester Drive In

Yes....several times. The part of town is fine. It's filled with families. Should be fun.

Go to it, you'll love it. You might regret it if you don't. It's the only one in the OKC area left, it might not be there forever. I've gone several times. You should be plenty safe.

Keith Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick
    Anyone ever been to Winchester? My wife and I have been to ying with the idea of watching a movie there just for fun. I've never seen a drive in movie.

Our only concern is the part of town it's in.

Anyone ever been to Winchester?
    Now wait a minute...that's the part of town I live in.LOL

I've been to a few movies at that drive-in, but my wife, daughter, and their friends used to go quite frequently. My problem is, I am a morning person, not a night owl....therefore, I can't seem to stay awake past midnight.

Go for it Patrick, you will enjoy it. By the time you get out of the movie, I will just be getting up and getting ready for work.

5. Default Re: Winchester Drive In

Quote Originally Posted by escan
    Yes....several times. The part of town is fine. It's filled with families. Should be fun.
    Never worry. If anything goes wrong, the Mortuary is next door.:boff: :tweeted:

Patrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Keith
    By the time you get out of the movie, I will just be getting up and getting ready for work.
    Super, I'll run by and pick you up for breakfast!

The last time I went to a drive-in was a couple years back in Guthrie.

Definately something everyone should experience.

8. Default Re: Winchester Drive In

Don't miss an opertunity to see a movie at a drive in.. it is great bring your own food and have a pic nic there.. stay away from the rocking cars..lol

Patrick, did you go to the movies at Winchester?

Just to give you a sense of age, I remember when they *built* Winchester, and put up the big neon Cowboy sign about 30 years ago. The original sign had more neon on it than it does now, and that bright light against the freshly painted sign combined with the animated hand was absolutely captivating.

My mom may have a picture of that sign under construction....

And that part of town is just fine, thank you very much. Geez, just goes to show you how people's perceptions get screwed up...not your fault, Patrick

Anyone remember 14 Flags theater on S. Western, around 94th? It's a housing addition now, but it was a great place. Not quite Winchester...

-SoonerDave

For short time when I was kid, my family and I lived over on McKinley.

I used to set on my slide on my swing set and watch the movies without sound. I never will forget seeing the dancing snacks cartoon.

McKinley dead ended into a cul-de-sac and our neighbor’s backyard was on the fence line that backed up to 14 flags. As a kind gesture for putting up with the nighttime drive-in noise, the drive-in owners wired all the backyards with speakers.

We always went down to the neighbors on Fridays and watched movies in their backyard. It was cool to sit in the backyard on lawn chairs and watch movies.

In my time, I went to several drive-in theaters that were here in the city. I have been to the Cinema 70, Rivera, Hillcrest, Sky Twin, Winchester and 14 Flags.

It is shame that all but one drive has closed. If I had the money, I would open one up in Newcastle or somewhere along the Kilpatrick near Yukon. I would buy about 50 acres and set the theater smack dab in the middle.

If I had the money, I would open one up in Newcastle or somewhere along the Kilpatrick near Yukon. I would buy about 50 acres and set the theater smack dab in the middle.
    Y'know, OKC, I think that's a brilliant idea. Properly marketed, retro-style, I think that could work as a rebirth of the concept. You've got a whole generation that barely even understands what a drive-in is, for heaven's sake.

It was cool for the theater owners to wire up the speakers for all the neighbors. They'd have been my friend!!

I remember riding on I-240 (when it was originally called the West Bypass) and movies would be playing at the Hillcrest screen, and more than once they were playing, ahem, shall we say, something other than PG13 fare (back when PG13 didn't exist)...

-SoonerDave

12. Default Re: Winchester Drive In

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave
    Y'know, OKC, I think that's a brilliant idea. Properly marketed, retro-style, I think that could work as a rebirth of the concept. You've got a whole generation that barely even understands what a drive-in is, for heaven's sake.

It was cool for the theater owners to wire up the speakers for all the neighbors. They'd have been my friend!!

I remember riding on I-240 (when it was originally called the West Bypass) and movies would be playing at the Hillcrest screen, and more than once they were playing, ahem, shall we say, something other than PG13 fare (back when PG13 didn't exist)...

-SoonerDave
    All most of the younger generation needs to do is ask where they were concieved. That will tell them a lot about drive in theaters.

Personally, I never liked them. I ached all over the next day because sitting in the car for hours staring at a large screen is uncomfortable.

winchesterdrivein Guest

The Winchester is open and recently celebrated it's 38th anniversary, having opened on July 3rd, 1968 under the guidance of Ferris Shambour. Described as a "showman" by his brother, Ferris was instrumental in bringing Hollywood to the Oklahoma City area and at one time operated over sixty screens. (This was long before the monsterous multi-plex theater chains.) The Winchester was sold in the early 80's following Ferris' death, but bought again and remains in the Shambour family under the careful supervision of Ferris' brother, Lindy Shambour. Lindy has worked in the theater business for well over forty years, maybe even closer to fifty as few know his true age.

The Winchester Drive-In is currently open seven days a week. Sunday through Thursday, two movies are shown. On Friday, Saturday, and some holidays, three are shown. All movies are within a few weeks of their original release date and more often than not, there is at least one new movie every Friday. You can listen to the movie through your car radio or a portable radio on FM station 98.3. Admission is five dollars for age eleven and up; two dollars for ages three to ten; and free for those two and under.

The Winchester features a full concession that includes a wide variety of hot foods, candy, ice cream, and drinks. T-shirts are available to purchase in the concession stand as well as a limited number of radio's for rent.

You will truly not find a better family experience at this reasonable cost anywhere else in Oklahoma City. Take a trip down memory lane, remember an era gone by, and create new memories for your own children and grandchildren...take them to the drive-in!

I am currently collecting the necessary information to submit to the historical society, asking that they make this nostalgic treasure an offical historical landmark. If you have any comments, stories, memories or photographs of your time at the Winchester, please write at: winchesterdrivein@yahoo.com

Thread Information