• Redhawks

25 48.08%
  • Neither

3 5.77%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 89ers or Redhawks

Patrick Guest

Default 89ers or Redhawks

The name of our AAA baseball team almost got changed to 89ers this season. Which name do you like better, 89ers or Redhawks?

Keith Guest

Default Re: 89ers or Redhawks

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick
    The name of our AAA baseball team almost got changed to 89ers this season. Which name do you like better, 89ers or Redhawks?
    I actually like the RedHawks better.........the 89ers sounds too hickish and cowboyish to me.

I agree.....either the RedHawks or another name. Let's not perpetuate any more stereotypes about Oklahoma....ie, the Wranglers, etc.

Survey Guest

I don't think 89ers is hickish.

I very much like the 89ers name because it is most certainly unique, and it represents an extremely significant element of Oklahoma history - the 1889 land run. I don't get how that's "hickish," certainly no more so than a little red chicken hawk strutting around a barnyard.

I have no use for the Redhawks nickname, because I was told by someone I deem credible that it was "forced" on the team because it was originally intended to be used by the hockey team the city went after a few years ago. If you'll notice, the leg of the "R" in the circle-R logo is supposed to be dual-use; feathers on the bird's wing, but also three hockey sticks.

More important to me, however, than the nickname is the city/state reference. It should be the "Oklahoma City <whatevers>," not "Oklahoma <whatevers>". Tulsa has the Drillers, and the rest of the state contributes, oh, essentially *nothing* to the perpetuation of AAA baseball. The team plays in a park financed by Oklahoma City tax revenue, in the heart of downtown Oklahoma City, in front of fans that are substantially (if not in many cases exclusively) from Oklahoma City or its many suburbs.

The only reason we lost the "City" moniker is because the City tried to sell Oklahoma to the NHL as a "state"-oriented locale rather than a city-oriented one; hence the name "Oklahoma Redhawks" and not "Oklahoma *CITY* Redhawks."

Either way, I want "Oklahoma City" back. I'd prefer the "89ers" for its historical relevance in light of our pending state centennial. "Redhawks" is a meaningless marketing term that could be attached to any minor league sports franchise as a way to sell T-shirts; it adds no value whatsoever.

-SoonerDave

6. Default Re: 89ers or Redhawks

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave
    I very much like the 89ers name because it is most certainly unique, and it represents an extremely significant element of Oklahoma history - the 1889 land run. I don't get how that's "hickish," certainly no more so than a little red chicken hawk strutting around a barnyard.

I have no use for the Redhawks nickname, because I was told by someone I deem credible that it was "forced" on the team because it was originally intended to be used by the hockey team the city went after a few years ago. If you'll notice, the leg of the "R" in the circle-R logo is supposed to be dual-use; feathers on the bird's wing, but also three hockey sticks.

More important to me, however, than the nickname is the city/state reference. It should be the "Oklahoma City <whatevers>," not "Oklahoma <whatevers>". Tulsa has the Drillers, and the rest of the state contributes, oh, essentially *nothing* to the perpetuation of AAA baseball. The team plays in a park financed by Oklahoma City tax revenue, in the heart of downtown Oklahoma City, in front of fans that are substantially (if not in many cases exclusively) from Oklahoma City or its many suburbs.

The only reason we lost the "City" moniker is because the City tried to sell Oklahoma to the NHL as a "state"-oriented locale rather than a city-oriented one; hence the name "Oklahoma Redhawks" and not "Oklahoma *CITY* Redhawks."

Either way, I want "Oklahoma City" back. I'd prefer the "89ers" for its historical relevance in light of our pending state centennial. "Redhawks" is a meaningless marketing term that could be attached to any minor league sports franchise as a way to sell T-shirts; it adds no value whatsoever.

-SoonerDave
    Well said, SoonerDave, I agree 100%.

-----------

MadMonk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by writerranger
    Well said, SoonerDave, I agree 100%.

-----------
    Same here.

The Redhawks name makes it easier and cheaper for the team to relocate without nasty things like creating a new team name, etc.

Patrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner
    The Redhawks name makes it easier and cheaper for the team to relocate without nasty things like creating a new team name, etc.
    As long as Funk owns them, we don't have to worry about that.

Survey Guest

I think the name needs to reflect our history as a Native American state. Let's go back to Oklahoma City Indians.

11. Default Re: 89ers or Redhawks

Jack....err.....Survey,

I don't think they would want a name that a major league team is using. Farm team confusion and all that.

------------

Survey Guest

How about the Rangers then? And I don't appreciate you calling me a jack ass.

Survey Guest

Many minor league teams adopt the name of their parent team. I personally wouldn't mind us being called the Oklahoma City Rangers or Oklahoma Rangers.

14. Default Re: 89ers or Redhawks

Quote Originally Posted by Survey
    How about the Rangers then? And I don't appreciate you calling me a jack ass.
    I don't know where you got that. You just remind me of an old "friend" named Jack from the board.

ok... i'm posting in an old thread. i prefered the 89'ers monicker... it just seemed to have more significance than the redhawks name. however, after all these years of being the redhawks, i wouldn't be for changing it back... they've already built the brand up. -M

16. Default Re: 89ers or Redhawks

89ers. Oklahoma is about tradition.

89ers and tradition. That is really funny.

I like the name, colors and logo of the Redhawks. To me, being renamed the 89ers is like going backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
    89ers and tradition. That is really funny.
    In what way is it funny? Ever since the famous Run of 1889, opening Oklahoma Territory to settlement, we have celebrated 89'ers day on April 22. I would call that a tradition for our state. The name "Oklahoma City 89ers" is akin to the name
    "San Francisco 49ers," 1849 being a year that is part of northern California's tradition. The name "Redhawk," on the other hand, evokes nothing about Oklahoma or Oklahoma City. That said, since the name "Redhawk" has been used for several years now I think a change back to 89ers is off the table.
    Last edited by redland; 06-22-2007 at 07:44 AM. Reason: typo

It struck me funny because the Sooners and the 89ers (the real ones) were pioneers, risk takers, and about as non-traditional as one could be in that day.

I have thought, and still do think, the Redhawks name change was a complete sellout. Pointless, generic name that could be used from here to Boise. 89ers was a great nickname, and it was thrown in the crapper in the name of marketing $10 junk bauble "souvenir" crap to kids.

-soonerdave

Although I think the 89ers name actually means something to our State, I guess that the majority of the folks that vote on this board don't mind sharing our Oklahoma Minor Pro Baseball team name with one from the University of Miami, Ohio...

23. Default Re: 89ers or Redhawks

AAA Oklahoma City 89ers.

Hopefully tho, with the Sonics moving - a resurrection of the name could ensue!

NBA Oklahoma City 89ers.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post

NBA Oklahoma City 89ers.
    Yes sir, Hot Rod, I like it!!!:

I would prefer that we call them the 69'ers.

Thread Information