Widgets Magazine

Thread: Fox Lake Walmart

Default Fox Lake Walmart

I drove by there yesterday. It looks like the exterior of the building was almost done or well near complete. It was more tasteful than most Walmarts although that's not saying alot. I know there are mixed feelings about this development so I won't say too much. Next time I'll try and have my camera with me!

Patrick Guest

Default Re: Fox Lake Walmart

I have no problem with the development, although I see nothing special about it. It definitely won't be a development that will attract people from all over the state! LOL!

My main gripe is that they're abandoning their original Edmond store.

Hopefully someone will come in and build something similar to the Edmond Exchange or Maket Depot. The last thing we need is an empty big box.

Patrick Guest

That's just Wal-Mart's way of doing things. They did the same exact thing in the Village, Warr Acres, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    My main gripe is that they're abandoning their original Edmond store.

Hopefully someone will come in and build something similar to the Edmond Exchange or Maket Depot. The last thing we need is an empty big box.
    I couldn't conceive of a better location for another "Incredible Pizza" type of establishment.

Patrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner
    I couldn't conceive of a better location for another "Incredible Pizza" type of establishment.
    Or even an indoor go-cart facility, similar to that being built at 36th and May Ave. Edmond is the perfect location for that. Tons of famileis wanting to have birthday parties!

I thought the owners already had plans to build a Edmond Exchange type shopping center on most of the land.

Patrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by metro
    I thought the owners already had plans to build a Edmond Exchange type shopping center on most of the land.
    Owners? Wal-Mart still owns the property.

I thought they pre-leased/sold some of the property.

Patrick Guest

You might be right. I'll admit, I have no earthly idea, other than for the for sale/for lease sign on the property.

Wal-Mart doesn't own their property. I believe most of their stores are leased.

Patrick Guest

Actually I looked on the Oklahoma County Assessor's website, and Wal-Mart Real Estate owns all of the buildings here in OKC.

WAL-MART REAL ESTATE
    C/O STORE #2876
    1301 SE 10TH ST
    BENTONVILLE, AR 727160555

Patrick Guest

Oklahoma County Assessor still shows the store on Broadway in Edmond being owned by Wal-Mart:

http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assess...UNTNO=P2321520

Complete ownership is the whole reason Wal-Mart is relocating almost every store in Oklahoma.

They want to lower the overhead by owning the building and the land the building is on.

The older stores are like every other retail operation. They lease the land and own the building.

When you have complete ownership you have lower overhead.

You can also build on a large site and lease to other businesses. I would not doubt if every building sitting in front of Sams and Walmart on Penn and Memorial is on a lease through Wal-Mart realty.

Wal-mart doesnt own that building anymore. Used to be an employee and thats whats we were told. Actually was close about a half a year to a year ago if I remember right.

Patrick Guest

Yup, it's sure closed. Exactly why I went in there and bought a Dr. Pepper yesterday! The store on 33rd won't close until the store in Fox Lake opens. Staff will be transferred from the 33rd store to the store in Fox Lake.

Yep. They kepts pushing it back and back. originally it was sopposed to open in i believe june or july then pushed back a few more times.

I wish the old store would not close. personally I like the little store. I hate the big ones.

ImproveOKC Guest

I like the smaller stores too.

Almost every customer that I talked to in the store likes the small stores and wishes we wouldnt close this one down.

Patrick Guest

I don't understand the need to close down the Wal-Mart on 33rd. It's serving the central Edmond area. There won't be another store serving this area. You'll have to drive all the way up to Danforth or all the way over to I-35.

If I were Target, I'd jump on the location.

Thread Information