Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Can I drive the speed limit in the "fast lane?"

My4sonsjrbm Guest

Default Can I drive the speed limit in the "fast lane?"

I was driving on I-40 and I was in the left hand lane doing the speed limit and the guy behind me was mad at me!! Is it wrong for someone to drive in the "fast lane" if they are going the speed limit? Check out http://www.localokads.com/blog/ for a complete account of my experience. I'd like to see what others think.

Default Re: Can I drive the speed limit in the "fast lane?"

Actually, yes. More accidents are caused by slow drivers than fast ones. The left lane should be used for passing. If you are not driving at a 'passing' speed, you should get out of everyone else's way.

Courtney Caldwell of Road and Travel Magazine had this to say:

We all know that speeding is against the law. Why? Because most of us aren't trained or experienced in handling a vehicle at a high rate of speed, especially if that vehicle goes out of control. So the answer, simply put, is that it's too dangerous to drive at high speeds.

That said, isn't it also dangerous to drive too slowly in the high-speed lane? The answer is yes. So why then do so many people do it?

First and foremost, highways were developed with several lanes to accommodate not only mass traffic but also to provide various lanes for different driving speeds. In fact, most freeways in America are clearly marked with a maximum and minimum speed limit. The higher speed is for the high-speed lane, which is the farthest lane to the left. The lower end of the speed limit is for those who prefer to drive at a slower rate, which is what the far right lane is for. The lanes in between the high-speed lane and the slow speed lane are for drivers who wish to drive somewhere in between the maximum and minimum. Sounds simple enough to understand and follow, doesn't it?

Then why is it time after time, day after day, freeway after freeway, people are driving 50 miles per hour in a 70-mph lane? Why do they do that? What is their problem? Don't they understand the basic concept of fast and slow? And does it frustrate as many other drivers as it does me?

It's a basic concept taught in driver's ed. Slow traffic stay to the right. Faster traffic uses the high-speed lanes. What's not to understand?

It's much more than the rants of an irate writer, it's the observation of a journalist who specializes in road safety. It's just plain dangerous to drive too slowly in the high-speed lane. And drivers need to be reminded in case they've forgotten the rules.

When drivers drive too slow in the high-speed lane many dangerous situations can occur. First, it creates a long line of frustrated drivers behind the slow poke. Most wait patiently in hopes the slow guy pulls over, but others will begin to tailgate. While this in itself is illegal and dangerous, frustration builds, transforming law-abiding citizens into road warriors.

Some drivers get so frustrated, they pull out of the lane in a fit of anger, pass on the right to catch up to the culprit just so they can send a message with a digit, or mouth some idiotic phrase that the guilty driver can't hear anyway.

Nonetheless, you have the beginnings of road rage, and now a second person driving recklessly in an effort to deliver a message. Both these drivers endanger all those around them.

In no way do we condone such behavior, nor is it a peaceful solution to a potentially dangerous problem. There are other ways to resolve it.

First, if you're reading this story and find you may fit the profile of a slow driver in the high-speed lane, please pull over and drive in the lanes to the far right. Keep your eye on your speedometer compared to that of the legal minimums and maximums posted on the freeway. If you prefer driving slower, then be aware that driving laws state that slower traffic must remain to the right. Not only will it keep you safer; it will keep drivers around you safe as well.

If you're a frustrated driver who finds himself behind a slow-goer, flash your high beams a few times. Most people will respond to this. Let's face it, we've all been there when we're plodding along unaware that we've slowed down. Sometimes a gentle reminder is all the slow driver needs who is then more than happy to move over at a safe moment.

Cell phone use slows a lot of people down too, which has become a very dangerous problem. If you must use your cell phone while driving, please make a conscious effort to pull over to the slow speed lanes where you won't be a danger to yourself or to anyone else.

This is not only lawful behavior; it's also common courtesy. For those people who want to drive slowly, then please do so in the lanes designated especially for slower drivers. If you're holding up traffic or someone behind you is flashing their lights, please pull over to the slower lanes when the time is safe, and indicate your intentions with your turn signal or a friendly wave. When the person anxious to pass sees this, he or she will relax and back off until you make your move.

For you faster drivers who want someone to move over, give him or her a gentle nudge with the flash of your headlights a few times, or a little beep-beep from your horn. Give them a chance to respond and react. And when they do, send a wave of appreciation, not the international digit of disapproval. These are some very simple road manners that can and will prevent the escalation of road rage.

So the last question remains. What do you do if you flash your lights for two miles and the slow poke still won't move? That, my friends, is your decision and yours alone. Just make sure that whatever you do, it doesn't endanger your life or those around you on the freeway, nor escalate the anger further.

For future reference, doesn't be a slow speed driver in the high-speed lane. If you're not going to lead, then get out of the way. And remember, driving is a privilege, not a right.
    I've seen studies (can't find any at the moment) stating that people who drive too slow in designated fast lanes (such as yourself) are far more dangerous than any other drivers (although I can't cite any methodology or reasoning on that, but in my personal experience, as much is true).

So maybe it would be helpful for you to observe the rules of the road and let people pass you instead of being a dangerous impediment to traffic?

My4sonsjrbm Guest

Did you go to the web site blog and read my entire account of the situation? Apparently not, because you would have known that I WAS passing someone at the time I was in the left hand land.

4. Default Re: Can I drive the speed limit in the "fast lane?"

Midtowner, are you suggesting that she herself should break the law and speed to pass the car on the right just because an impatient driver was behind her?

To be perfectly honest, I don't click on links because people tell me to. I have to want to. You could have just as easily copied and pasted your blog material to this BBS. You didn't, therefore, I didn't think it was all that important.

If someone was traveling at a faster rate of speed than yourself, you should have yielded to them.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    If someone was traveling at a faster rate of speed than yourself, you should have yielded to them.
    Exactly -- or sped up to match their speed, then gotten out of the way.

8. Default Re: Can I drive the speed limit in the "fast lane?"

My4sons, you may want to post the experience on here, because you left out much of the story in your first post. Otherwise, people are going to tell you how wrong you were.

Though I despise situations as what Midtowner posted, the fact that you were passing someone makes it acceptable...as long as you were doing the speed limit. Not much a person can do when there's no other lane to put your car into.

9. Default Re: Can I drive the speed limit in the "fast lane?"

You guys have got to be kidding. She was traveling the speed limit and was passing a car. why should she have to break the law to appease some goober behind her?

Hypothetical: If she did happen to speed up to make the driver behind her happy and a cop pulled her over for speeding, should she get a ticket? Or do you think he'd be understanding because she was passing a slower car but the guy in the truck that came flying up on her bumper wanted her to go faster?

My4sonsjrbm Guest

Thanks Sweet Daisy. You are right. Here's the entire story.

Can I drive the speed limit in the “fast lane?”
    We’ve all seen the signs on many freeways that state “Slower Traffic Keep Right.” Usually somewhere down the road from that is a speed limit sign that states the maximum and the minimum speed. To me this means that if you choose to drive less than the maximum speed limit, then you need to stay in the right hand lane. However, if you are driving the speed limit, then you have every right to be in the left hand lane for as long as you like, right? Well, I’m not so sure everyone feels that way.

The other day I was driving east on I-40 headed toward downtown OKC. I had two of my children in the mini van with me. The speed limit was 65mph so that is what I was doing. I was happily driving along in the right hand lane. There were vehicles whizzing past me in the left hand lane. I swear, some of them had to have been going 90mph. That really ticks me off. I’m a rules kind of girl. I feel like the speed limit and other traffic laws are there for our safety and protection. It irritates me when many drivers only obey traffic laws when they see a police car around. I’m all for unmarked police cars. Why do these drivers feel that they are above the law? Do they think that the traffic laws don’t apply to them? Even if I’m going to be late to something I drive the speed limit. Better to arrive late than to not arrive at all because I’ve been in a car accident because I was driving too fast. Many times fast driving goes hand in hand with reckless driving.

Anyway, so I’m driving along in the right hand lane going the speed limit of 65 mph and I come upon a car that is going just a little slower than that, so I signal (I always signal too. My greatest pet peeve in all the world is drivers who don’t signal, but that will be another entry) look behind me and move into the left hand lane, maintaining the 65 mph speed limit. A few seconds later a guy in a big ‘ole truck comes roaring up behind me. I’ve not quite passsed the car yet, so I’m still in the left hand lane and the car in the right hand lane is just slightly behind me. The guy in the big ’ole truck is stuck. He is obviously irritated. He blinks his brights at me. He is gesturing with his hand for me to move along by rolling his hand over and over. He’s mad because I’m in the left hand lane going the speed limit and now he can’t speed anymore. Until I can pass the car on my right, which will only take another minute at the most, he’s just going to have to slow down.

My neighbor Scott is an OKC police officer. I told him about my encounter with the big ‘ole truck and asked if I was in the wrong. Do I have a right to be in the left hand lane and drive the speed limit? Is that lane for “speeders?” He said I did nothing wrong and that all drivers are expected to drive the speed limit regardless of the lane they are in. He noted that many accidents are caused by drivers not paying attention to their surroundings. Whats beside them, behind them, and way ahead of them?

So I did eventually pass the car on my right and move back into the right hand lane continuing to maintain the speed limit. The guy in the big ‘ole truck must have floored it because he went roaring by me as fast as he could. I didn’t look at him as he passed. I didn’t need to see his angry, irritated face and I didn’t think giving him a disgusted look would make any difference. Now that I think about it I should have looked at him and smiled and maybe even waved. I wonder what kind of reaction that would have brought?

I just don’t understand why so many drivers feel the need to disobey traffic laws. We cannot pick and choose which laws we want to obey. I teach my children that all people who live in or visit this country must abide by all its laws, not just those that are convenient. This is a great country and a great state, and everyone has a responsibility to be a good citizen.

Well, until next time…Stay Great Oklahoma!

Let's be careful here, folks.

First, the OP stated they *were going the speed limit* in the left-most lane. They were doing *precisely* what the article posted by Midtowner suggested the driver should do:

Keep your eye on your speedometer compared to that of the legal minimums and maximums posted on the freeway.
    That entire article is written on the pretext of *staying within the law*, not as a license to say, "To **** with speed limits, we're in the fast lane, so we can go any speed we want. Let's all go 90 in the fast lane and flip off everyone who won't get out of our way because THEY are the idiots." It isn't martial law, folks; you don't really get to set your own limit -- no matter how cool your car is, now matter how important you are.

Make no mistake; I'd like to slap silly any driver who drives 50 in a 70 or whatever, but if someone is going to get in my face because I'm *doing the legal speed limit* and it isn't fast enough for them, that's *their* problem. I don't think too many judges or cops are going to give you a second glance of consideration if you're ticketed going above the speed limit, but plea "I was just keeping up with traffic."

The person doing the speed limit isn't the impediment to traffic; the type-A behind them wanting to do 80+ is.

-SoonerDave

Exactly, the left lane is for passing. If you want to drive the speed limit you should get in another lane out of courtesy, hence all the signs along highways nationwide that say left lane for passing. Oklahoma seems to have had the most problem with this than anywhere else I've been in or out of the country. Seems like the bigger the city the more they get out of the way. I guess it takes all the more cars on your tail to get people the hint.

13. Default Re: Can I drive the speed limit in the "fast lane?"

Metro, did you read what she posted? I believe the original point was that she was in the left lane passing someone who was in the right lane going slower than the speed limit. she couldn't IMMEDIATELY get out of the way because there was a car in the right lane.

The biggest problem with this thread is the title.

If you want to drive the speed limit you should get in another lane out of courtesy
    By all means, let's make sure we perpetuate the notion of it being OK to blow away speed limits by making sure we're not rude to them while they're breaking the law. How about a drunk driving lane, a makeup lane, a cell phone lane, and then create big sign that says "anyone caught driving the speed limit and devoting full time and attention to their driving will be arrested if they're rude to anyone who drives irresponsibly."

-SoonerDave

Patrick Guest

I don't care what the speed limit is. It isn't enforced anyways. The left lane should be reserved for those going the fastest. If you're going slower than someone behind you need to yield. I personally get tired of people going 55-60 MPH in the left lane. It's dangerous. Especially on Hefner Parkway.

If a car is on your butt, you need to pull over and left the car by.

If you refuse to move over, and you get rear ended and scarred for life, remember, you could've gotten out of the way. Sure, the person speeding will get the ticket and have to pay out for damages, but you're ultimately the one that's going to have to live with the injuries the rest of your life.

By 'slower traffic keep right', they mean the speed limit and below. The left lane is for passing and then getting back in the driving lane.

While he might have been speeding, you don't have the right to enforce the speed limit by impeding traffic.

Patrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sweetdaisy
    Metro, did you read what she posted? I believe the original point was that she was in the left lane passing someone who was in the right lane going slower than the speed limit. she couldn't IMMEDIATELY get out of the way because there was a car in the right lane.

The biggest problem with this thread is the title.
    She should've waited behind the small car until the fast car passed by, instead of cutting out there in the left lane in front of a slower car.

18. Default Re: Can I drive the speed limit in the "fast lane?"

Oh! Did I miss the fact that she cut him off?

19. Default Re: Can I drive the speed limit in the "fast lane?"

Nope. Sure didn't. I didn't seeing anything about her cutting in front of someone in the passing lane to PASS A CAR.

I don't care what the speed limit is. It isn't enforced anyway.
    In that vein, Patrick, you're right. We're supposed to be a society of laws, not of men; not of ad-hoc conjecture and subjectivity. The traffic laws SHOULD be enforced. That's why this problem exists. If they were, the OP could drive the limit without fear of being villified for obeying the law.

Sadly, that ethic promotes the notion of "it's not my fault," and thus no one is held accountable for how they drive except the people who obey the limit; the guys driving 90 in the 65 lane blame the guy driving 65. If you dare suggest the guys driving fast are to blame, the standard answer is, "well EVERYONE does it. It's not my fault."

You know what? Let's all start robbing banks. If we get enough people to do it, the ones *not* robbing banks will be a hindrance, we can blame and villify them for our bank robbing not being efficient. Then we can justiy those ends with "I don't care if there are bank-robbing laws. They don't enforce the bank robbing laws, anyway."

(NOTE: The above paragraph is intended as biting sarcasm to make a point. It is not intended as an actual solicitation to break the law.)

-SoonerDave

If the car behind her was right behind her while she still hadn't passed the other car, then yes, she cut him off. She wasn't paying attention to traffic well enough to see that he was traveling at a rate of speed greater than hers.

If you're passing someone, follow the old adage: poop or get off the pot!

Patrick Guest

Under the legal system, she has every right to pass in the left lane doing speed limit. I don't question that. But, I think we all know in society that very few obey the speed limit. The solution is to simply get out of other people's way. If you don't you're going to get run over.

Patrick Guest

I think sweetdaisy is just too sweet to get in the left lane and tail gate a slower moving vehicle.

Patrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave
    You know what? Let's all start robbing banks. If we get enough people to do it, the ones *not* robbing banks will be a hindrance, we can blame and villify them for our bank robbing not being efficient. Then we can justiy those ends with "I don't care if there are bank-robbing laws. They don't enforce the bank robbing laws, anyway."
    Sounds like a plan. Who'd like to start?

25. Default Re: Can I drive the speed limit in the "fast lane?"

This is not directed at the op because it was a passing situation, but I have to add that nothing irritates me more than someone chugging along at the 'speed limit' in the fast lane refusing to yield. Get out of the way please!

The speed limit is almost never adhered to, does that make it right to speed? no, but it does make it unsafe for everyone, more so for a self appointed vigilante cruising the freeways pissing people off by traveling at a slower speed than everyone else.

If people can't handle driving with the flow of traffic, there are some nice slower side streets that will get them there safely.

But, the person behind the original OP should have realized ( because she said she always used her signal) that she was Trying to get over and just couldn't. Waving and smiling at a person like that might invoke some serious road rage, with children in the car it just isn't worth it.. you did the right thing by ignoring him.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

Thread Information