Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9-story Embassy Suites & Conference Center for UNP

Default Re: 9-story Embassy Suites & Conference Center for UNP

So again, TIF screws the public schools in the worst way possible. Not only does it take a HUGE area of land -- land which would have appreciated anyway, and lock the taxes for the next several years, it also will suck the life out of other areas, thus lowering those property values, and dinging the schools a second time.

I'll bet that even the majority of OKCTalk members look at the three letters -- TIF, and think "Gosh, that's political stuff, I hate political stuff, it doesn't effect me, and it's just so negative."

This state could truly be great if the people would just wake the eff up and stop allowing politicians from stealing their constituents' lunch money. It won't happen though.

Question Re: 9-story Embassy Suites & Conference Center for UNP

What won't happen? (Quote from Midtowner) So is this idea good or bad, and will it happen????? What is UPN?

3. Default Re: 9-story Embassy Suites & Conference Center for UNP

Quote Originally Posted by ETL
    What won't happen? (Quote from Midtowner) So is this idea good or bad, and will it happen????? What is UPN?
    Here is a site with the basics of TIF: http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/hrd...fo/tifmech.htm
    It is from the Minnesota House of Representatives research department so the details might be a bit different from what it is in Oklahoma, but the concept is generally the same.

TIF is extremely controversial and you will find varying opinions and studies either supporting it or giving it the thumbs down. Opinions within the general public are varied as well.

I assume when you ask "what is UPN" you are referring to University North Park (UNP), the site for this particular expansive TIF project. The article provided by MalibuSooner a few posts back gives a good description of the massive project. Hope this answers your questions!

It does!!! Thanks! :spin:

5. Default Re: 9-story Embassy Suites & Conference Center for UNP

Have they listed any other stores besides Target?

6. Default Re: 9-story Embassy Suites & Conference Center for UNP

Quote Originally Posted by TStheThird
    Have they listed any other stores besides Target?
    Officially, nothing yet. As always, there are rumors flying all over the place right now. They have hinted that Oklahoma will have some upscale stores that are in no other place in the state. There is room for 6 anchor stores, so it will be extensive.

7. Default Re: 9-story Embassy Suites & Conference Center for UNP

If they get close or surpass this place I visit in Ohio...I will be thrilled.

http://www.leviscommons.com/

It will be interesting to see who does the movie theatre there. Hollywood definitely needs to be replaced, it smells like urine, but not sure who would fit. Harkins would be nice, but my guess would be a large AMC complex.

8. Default Re: 9-story Embassy Suites & Conference Center for UNP

Quote Originally Posted by venture79
    If they get close or surpass this place I visit in Ohio...I will be thrilled.

http://www.leviscommons.com/

It will be interesting to see who does the movie theatre there. Hollywood definitely needs to be replaced, it smells like urine, but not sure who would fit. Harkins would be nice, but my guess would be a large AMC complex.

I agree...lets hope the disgn of the UNP ends up looking like this!

http://www.leviscommons.com/FuturePhases/index.html

Having grown up in Wichita I am VERY excited to see the Warren coming to town. I had originally hoped it would be in Bricktown, and now wish it would be in Norman.

As a side note, the Warren theatre in East Wichita was originally going to be a Chinese themed theatre (reminiscient of Mann's) on the corner of 21st and Greenwich. They put up the billboard that is exactly like the one in Moore on I-35 and even had the Key construction trailer there for a while. But they didn't do a thing for several years. Then, suddenly about 3 years later they began construction of the theatre (50's theme instead) a block south at 13th and Greenwich. I don't know why they did that, but it makes me wonder if Bill Warren might be slow-playing his theatre in Moore thinking that maybe the development in Norman would be better..... Just wondering out loud.....

10. Default Re: 9-story Embassy Suites & Conference Center for UNP

It would make sense to scrap Moore with the Norman local. However, I think Moore is going to draw more off of Regal at Crossroads than Norman. The only thing, once Norman opens up, that kills that traffic flow. Personally I still go to Harkins and probably will, depending on the scope of the theatre in Norman.

As difficult as it will be to woo the northsiders to the "most luxurious theater in the world" in Moore, I think it will be that much more difficult to woo them a little further south to Norman (even though Norman may be more palatable for the northsiders).

It would make sense to scrap Moore with the Norman local. However, I think Moore is going to draw more off of Regal at Crossroads than Norman. The only thing, once Norman opens up, that kills that traffic flow. Personally I still go to Harkins and probably will, depending on the scope of the theatre in Norman.

If you have even the slightest care about the movie experience above "just going," then you will probably frequent the Warren.

Once the Warren opens, I will not visit another theatre unless I am with a large group and get out-voted...... I will really have no desire to watch a movie anywhere else....

But, maybe it's just me....

We'll all probably try it. If its worth the drive, then I'll keep going.

14. Default Re: 9-story Embassy Suites & Conference Center for UNP

Driving by on I-35, I have noticed that the sign says the Embassy Suites will be 280 rooms. That is good sized by Embassy standards. Most are in the 220-250 range. Although there are a few that are over 300 rooms. So, 280 is a great number for Norman. I was afraid it would be small-- like 210 rooms or something.

15. Default Re: 9-story Embassy Suites & Conference Center for UNP

everyone should check out one of the busiest threads on this whole site,

http://www.okctalk.com/norman/4557-u...orth-park.html

This is the university north park thread. most of this information about UNP has been discussed for months, except the finalized of the embassy suites since it happened last week.

Anyway, check this out. there are renderings, maps, layouts, store listings, etc.

I am kind of surprised no one else has seen this.

16. Default Re: 9-story Embassy Suites & Conference Center for UNP

Here, i will help you out. Four very informative links:

http://www.soonerinvestment.com/pdf_...ons-071406.pdf

http://www.soonerinvestment.com/pdf_..._dp-071406.pdf

http://www.soonerinvestment.com/pdf_...man-071406.pdf

http://www.soonerinvestment.com/pdf_...orman-1106.pdf

This should give you some ideas on what is going there. Although, the aerial map i believe is a little off because it shows a JC penny, but their is a jc penny going 4 miles north at 19th street in moore for sure. Other than that, i am not sure about the tenants on that map.

hope that helps

17. Default Re: 9-story Embassy Suites & Conference Center for UNP

This is going to be huge for Norman. Hammons properties are 5 star from a design standpoint. I have stayed in several. Too bad it won't be at least 12 stories though. Does anyone have link to any renderings of the Norman project.

Thread Information