Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Possible hotel/convention center and shopping mall coming to I-35.

1. Default Re: Possible hotel/convention center and shopping mall coming to I-35.

Well to me it still sounds like a mall. They said at least 3 large upscale department stores. Hopefully these three department stores that they are in talks with will happen, since according to the story, none of them are in OK. Since there is a Saks in Tulsa, I guess that would probably be a Nordstrom, Barneys, Neimans, or Bloomingdales. Who knows.

The best part of the entire story was at the end...
    "...saving the trees and amount of landscaping were discussed."

At least someone understands the importance of saving existing trees and adding to the landscape!

The only thing I don't like about this story is that if in fact those department stores do come in, they is going to steal a ton of shoppers away from OKC and further into the suburbs

Patrick Guest

Default Re: Possible hotel/convention center and shopping mall coming to I-35.

I think attracting 3 stores like Nordstroms, Saks, etc. is wishful thinking on the developer's part. We'll have to wait and see though.

I wouldn't be opposed to smaller upscale stores in a Spring Creek-type development in Edmond. They would do well and it would help the city's tax base. TIF is completely unnecessary, developers are trying to milk that too often these days and I hope the Edmond city council denies it. All new department stores should be concentrated downtown though so they can be accessible to the entire OKC metro and encourage continued retail development in the city center.

For the small price of a campaign donation, TIF money can be assured. The trade of a few $5,000 donations in exchange for a fwe million dollars worth of TIF money is always a hell of an investment.

I will be extremely surprised if there is no TIF used.

Patrick Guest

I've been told that the 3 anchors of the complex will be Sheplers, Teners, and an Eskimo Joe's outlet. Has anyone else heard that?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick
    I've been told that the 3 anchors of the complex will be Sheplers, Teners, and an Eskimo Joe's outlet. Has anyone else heard that?
    Patrick, liars go to hell. I hope you know that

Patrick Guest

Boone Pickens said he wanted the Eskimo Joes outlet to have a Pistol Pete statue entrance larger than Big Tex at the Texas State Fair.

8. Default Re: Possible hotel/convention center and shopping mall coming to I-35.

WOW, upscale.

9. Default Re: Possible hotel/convention center and shopping mall coming to I-35.

where did you hear that, because the story yesterday said upscale retailers not currently in OK...can't see that statement changing in one day

10. Default Re: Possible hotel/convention center and shopping mall coming to I-35.

Nuclear, I believe that Patrick was being sarcastic. Although, with OSU people being involved, he may not be too far off.

Patrick Guest

Yeah, I was being sarcastic. My point is we've heard this before with Spring Creek Village.

12. Default Re: Possible hotel/convention center and shopping mall coming to I-35.

yeah i missed the third page here before I posted!!! Anyway, carry on past my stupidity!!!

13. Default Re: Possible hotel/convention center and shopping mall coming to I-35.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    That's what every developer promises (see Spring Creek), we'll see though.
    Um, well actually Spring Creek DOES have the most upscale stores in the metro outside Penn Square/50 Penn. Talbot's, White House Black Market, Ann Taylor Loft, Jos. A Bank, New Balance, etc...
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

I hope nobody minds the input from a non-resident but longtime admirer of the OKC metro area (and a former resident, albeit a temporary one).

With respect to the potential anchor retailers, I would guess that Nordstrom would probably be the most likely and logical department store anchor. Saks is presently in a state of financial flux - not really distress, but not exactly in a position to make an ambitious expansion gamble on an entirely new market like OKC. Ditto that for Neiman Marcus. As far as Bloomingdale's, they haven't yet made a foray into similar sized markets - I live in St. Louis and when Federated (Bloomie's parent company) bought up Famous Barr (same stores as Foley's) and our two Lord and Taylors, the thought was that at least one of the two L&T's slated for closure here would be converted into a Bloomingdale's. Federated took a pass and simply closed both L&T's. They're simply not interested in moving into markets much smaller than the handful of "first tier" sized cities they're in now. Also, Nordstrom seems to be slightly less particular about the company that they keep - in other words, they tend to be more flexible with regard to locating in centers that aren't populated by X% of "upscale" retailers. I know from speaking with people formerly affiliated with St. Louis's Plaza Frontenac (where Saks and Neiman both reside), those two retailers tend to insist upon covenants from potential landlords about the types of businesses which would and would not be acceptible co-tenants. I don't know if there's rights of first refusal involved, but there may be financial concessions the malls have to make if they move too far "downscale" for the anchors' tastes. With a new development, I have my doubts that the developer will want to foreclose upon too many potential opportunities. I think a center like the one contemplated would be a good location for a Nordstrom as well as Pottery Barn, Williams Sonoma, Sur La Table and perhaps even a Dean & Deluca. I would think Harolds would also do quite well in that type of a center. One way or another, I hope the metro area is able to land one or two upscale department stores. There certainly seems to be an adequate market to support at least one.

Developer plans Edmond hotel project

EDMOND -- John Q. Hammons Hotels Inc. has signed a letter of intent to build a multistory hotel with adjoining conference center as part of Covell Place Town Center, a 309-acre planned upscale retail, entertainment, hospitality and office complex under development by Mike Galiga's As One Group at Interstate 35 and Covell Road in Edmond.

Patrick Guest

Here's a more detailed listing from the JR:

Hotel, convention center planned for Edmondby Kelley Chambers
    The Journal Record
    11/22/2006 EDMOND – Hotel and conference center developer and operator John Q. Hammons Hotels Inc. has signed a letter of intent to build a conference center and hotel at Interstate 35 and Covell Road.
    The development team for the area is a collaborative effort between an Arkansas company and local company As One Group led by Michael Galiga.
    Galiga said plans have been in the works for more than two years to ultimately build both a $20 million convention center and a hotel with about 235 rooms.
    The convention center and hotel are planned for the northwest corner of the project called Covell Place Town Center. The area will also feature an open-air shopping center.
    Galiga said the $400 million shopping center will feature upscale stores. He said the group is also close to receiving a commitment from an upscale department store.
    Galiga said the developers are submitting a Tax Incremental Finance proposal to the city of Edmond on Wednesday laying out the components of the deal.
    He said he is confident the city will approve the project, which will include benefits to the city in the form of youth sports facilities and a 20- to 30-acre aquatic area on the southeast corner.
    “We think in the end it gets everybody what they need,” he said. “If we don’t build this center here now, it’s going to go to another city.”
    Toni Weinmeister with the Edmond Economic Development Authority said a market study and analysis by the accounting firm KPMG last year concluded Edmond could support over 40,000 square feet of convention space and about a 240-room hotel.
    Weinmeister spoke highly of Hammons’ reputation and what it could mean for the city. “It’s flattering that anyone of that status and that quality is looking at Edmond,” she said. Galiga said the plan is to begin construction on the shopping center, hotel and convention center in fall 2007. The work is scheduled to take about three years to complete.

Patrick Guest

Wonder what upscale department store they're referring to......probably Dillards! LOL!

Likely it's a Belk's which after coming to Tulsa (located at Smith Farm in Owasso and under construction at Tulsa Hills) has to be looking at OKC. Belk's is kinda like a free standing Dillard's.

19. Default Re: Possible hotel/convention center and shopping mall coming to I-35.

Belks is hardly better than J.C. Penny. Stillwater has one.

Belk's is supposed to be the department store tennant in the new Spring Creek devleopment in Edmond.

Doubt they woud go for 2 stores in Edmond.

Apparently it is Nordstrom's. John you are correct Belk is going in the new portion of the Spring Creek development.

22. Default Re: Possible hotel/convention center and shopping mall coming to I-35.

Centerback, do you have a source? That would be HUGE if it was going to be a Nordstrom.

23. Default Re: Possible hotel/convention center and shopping mall coming to I-35.

I am pretty positive it is not Nordstrom's as I was told by a city planner that Nordstrom's and the like were not interested. Unless this has changed in the past 3 weeks...

24. Default Re: Possible hotel/convention center and shopping mall coming to I-35.

Looks like Edmond's trying to keep up with Norman.

If it is Nordstrom, it's not on thier list yet. See this:

New Store Openings - Nordstrom.com

Thread Information