Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Union Bus station to move...eventually

Default Union Bus station to move...eventually

I listened to a short presentation by Mr. Tanenbaum (of Gardner-Tanenbaum) last night. The good news was this: they are working to move the Union Bus station. Apparently it is out of code, an eyesore, etc. The plan is to build another site for the Greyhound bus station and then Tanenbaum would buy the old Union bus station and convert it to a restaurant, bar, whatever.
    This would be great news for the future of the arts district.

2. Default Re: Union Bus station to move...eventually

The bus station was built to the building code we had during the run of '89. (lol)

Yes. it is a dump. I was when I was a kid in the 60's picking up my Grandmother every summer.

We need a more modern one closer to the majority of the people who would use it. The very low income people.

Default Re: Union Bus station to move...eventually

It's convenient to them though considering its proximity to the shelters and to the city bus hub.

That's great news. The existing structure is a diamond in the rough and could be really cool as an alternate use.

But it sits at one of the major gateways into downtown and has always been an eyesore.

I would bet the station would be moved to near the new city bus transit center just north of downtown.

Love the architecture of the station, but the station itself does need to be located elsewhere.

Maybe a location west of Classen would be a better alternative.

I agree. I love the architecture of the station and would like to see this diamond in the rough turned into alternative use. Perhaps a swanky restaurant or club, or even an art gallery. I hope we don't lose the historical architecture, just the problems that face it.

Patrick Guest

A cool diner with a transportation theme might fit in nicely. The building will need some work though.
    Last edited by Patrick; 04-10-2006 at 04:22 PM.

8. Default Re: Union Bus station to move...eventually

Maybe the Santa Fe station could serve as both the Amtrak and the Greyhound station.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84
    Maybe the Santa Fe station could serve as both the Amtrak and the Greyhound station.
    There isn't enough room next to the track for the buses, and I don't want our visitors at the hotels to have to deal with the bus crowd.

Maybe the bus station can move down by Union Station, that would be a better alternative.

10. Default Re: Union Bus station to move...eventually

Quote Originally Posted by John
    There isn't enough room next to the track for the buses, and I don't want our visitors at the hotels to have to deal with the bus crowd.

Maybe the bus station can move down by Union Station, that would be a better alternative.
    That doesn't really make any sense because there's nothing down there. If it were still a passenger station it would be different, but it needs to be somewhat near the "action", so to say.

As far as Santa Fe station, obviously the buses would not go up on the elevated platform with the trains. They would have to park in the parking lot next to the building, but that's no different than how it is now.

But it may be a better idea to put it somewhere near the MetroTransit central hub.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Patrick Guest

I'd rather have those folks further away from Bricktown, not closer to it.
    Last edited by Patrick; 04-10-2006 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick
    I'd rather have those folks further away from Bricktown, not closer to it. Just look at the type of people the bus station attracts.
    Maybe put it on the southside somewhere.

Why not off of I-40 and Eastern somewhere?

Or better yet.... How about somewhere along the new I-40 route?

Patrick Guest

Could always build it in the Crossroads Mall parking lot. Would fit right in.

15. Default Re: Union Bus station to move...eventually

Pretty exciting, hopefully it doesn't all happen too far from now. It'd be cool if they turned it into an Art Deco museum or store. Maybe the local AIA chapter could turn it into an AIA bookstore. Or, as we've discussed in the past, turning it into one of those classic diners -- a 24-hour diner there would be very cool. Or a relocated Lunch Box or Abraham's.
    Continue the Renaissance

This is good news. I have always felt it would make a great restaurant/bar/diner (I think we have a thread on that somewhere, with some nice brainstorming). The best part is the name attached to it, imo. Tannenbaum seems to like conversion over destruction and he already has an interest in the area. A diner could serve as a great quick eating alternative for arts district visitors as well as a great breakfast joint for CBD workers.

I agree, but Tanenbaum is currently not attached to it. I'm glad he spoke out about the building. But I think he was in a situation where he had to. His Montgomery is right across the street and many of his tenants complain because of the problems the bus station across the street causes. Either way it will bring more recognition to this potential project.

I guess I read it too optimistically.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP
    I guess I read it too optimistically.
    I think both views are correct. Tanenbaum is definitely looking out for his project. That being said, his solutions always seem to help the city rather than hurt it. I'm sure there are other routes he could have taken. There is no lack of developers that harm the future of this city due to lack of vision or even simple greed. Mostly lack of vision probably.

20. Default Re: Union Bus station to move...eventually

My teenage sister had a friend who would come up here often from Dallas by herself on the bus and was always really worried about the part of town the bus station was in. She didn't have to leave from a scary part of town in Dallas. Why are we endorsing putting the station in an even worse part of town? Why not try to clean it up and leaving a good impression on the people who can't afford to fly American Eagle every time they come up from Dallas?
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

There are some buildings just a couple blocks south of the metro transit station that I'd like to see replaced.

22. Default Re: Union Bus station to move...eventually

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner
    There are some buildings just a couple blocks south of the metro transit station that I'd like to see replaced.
    I'd settle for that.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

23. Question Re: Union Bus station to move...eventually

Why not try to clean it up and leaving a good impression on the people who can't afford to fly American Eagle every time they come up from Dallas?
    They could take the AMTRAK, isnt it cheaper anyways?? It's certainly higher class IMO.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Urban Pioneer Guest

I don't understand Oklahoma City's mentality. If we want to be a big city we have to build big things. Every organization is working in a different direction with none working together. My father was the transportation superintendent in a medium sized city in Texas. He developed a "grand entrance into the city". It was what he called a "multi-modal" transportation center. This structure combined regular bus, Greyhound Bus, Yellow Cab, the airport/hotel shuttles, the visitors bureau, and was situated next to train track for future light rail. He built something that was looking 30 years into the future and offered a centralized place where anyone no matter their income had the same welcoming experience to the city. And, I can't tell you the cost savings in combining facilities and logistics. If you can make it to that one centralized point you can get to anywhere in the city. We need a center like that where ALL of these companies and services are combined. It should be even forward enough to accommodate modern street cars, light rail, and the future river ferries that are coming to the river.

Instead, Oklahoma City has a transit hub that doesn't connect to any other mode of transportation, a visitors center buried in the remains of the Century Center complex, disconnected yellow cab service, and a poorly maintained Greyhound Station. There has to be a better way that incorporates a significant "gateway" piece of architecture that says "welcome to our city".

I think a Walgreens or CVS would be a nice tennant at the bus station. There is adequate parking for a downtown store, and they could incorporate their neon signage into the current sign.

Thread Information