Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: deadCENTER Film Festival - 2006

1. Default deadCENTER Film Festival - 2006

Here is the info from the website www.deadcenterfilm.org

WHY IS IT CALLED deadCENTER?
    The name “deadCENTER” refers to the geographic location of Oklahoma City within the continental United States. And in downtown OKC … we’re at the center of everything!

WHAT IS deadCENTER?
    The deadCENTER Film Festival was founded by Justan and Jayson Floyd in 2001. The mission of the festival is to promote independent film arts. We envision a thriving, interactive global film community. We provide a competitive platform for independent filmmakers and a dynamic educational forum. As a result, the festival attracts filmmakers and festival attendees from around the nation. Designed to inspire growth in the local film industry and energize visiting film professionals, the deadCENTER Film Festival will continue to encourage the film arts through screenings, discussions, competition, special events, panels, and focused programming.

2006 SCREENING VENUES
    Oklahoma City Museum of Art 415 Couch Drive
    Stage Center 400 West Sheridan
    IAO Gallery 811 N. Broadway
    Untitled [ArtSpace] 1 N.E. 3rd
    Metropolitan Library Downtown 300 Park Avenue
    Harkins Bricktown Cinemas 150 East Reno Ave
    Kerr Park corner of Robert S. Kerr and N. Broadway
    The side of a fabulous downtown building – TBD

OTHER deadCENTER DETAILS FOR 2006
    Projected audience of 3,500 film enthusiasts
    National and international award-winning independent films
    A myriad of Oklahoma films
    Over 100 films will be shown at 8 different locations throughout downtown
    A free kickin’ ”Kid’s Festival” – fun for the whole family.
    Multiple film professional panels.
    “Midnight Shorts” to showcase edgy, alternative films.
    Visiting filmmakers from around the globe.
    Food, fun and cocktails

It takes dozens of volunteers to pull this off and volunteer opportunities increase as the size and scope of the festival grows, and 2006 is even more ambitious than last year's event. The only thing better than attending the deadCENTER events and film screenings is attending the events and film screenings and being part of the festival. If you're interested in participating, contact:

Kim Haywood - Clubhouse Captain
    kim@deadcenterfilm.org
    The Old Downtown Guy

It will take decades for Oklahoma City's
    downtown core to regain its lost gritty,
    dynamic urban character, but it's exciting
    to observe and participate in the transformation.

2. Default Re: deadCENTER Film Festival - 2006

dates?

Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

3. Default Re: deadCENTER Film Festival - 2006

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD
    dates?
    June 7th - 11th
    The Old Downtown Guy

4. Default Re: deadCENTER Film Festival - 2006

Looking forward to it!
    Continue the Renaissance

5. Default Re: deadCENTER Film Festival - 2006

This is a great event. I'm a huge film buff and I attending last year with a friend. I'm looking forward to this year.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Default Re: deadCENTER Film Festival - 2006

June 7 - 11th? Good luck on them keeping any screens at the Harkins Bricktown theater at that time. Various "summer movie" would-be blockbusters are going to be flooding multiplex sites with many thousands of prints. Decent commercial screens will be hard to come by for any festival screenings during that time.

It would be better for any film festival to choose a time more traditionally in the doldrums if they want to involve commercial theaters. January is usually slow in terms of new releases. Mid-August through early September usually stinks pretty bad as well. Much of April is usually slow every year. Most major film distributors try to unload a lot of junk movie product off their shelves ahead of the start of the "summer movie season." That "season" used to begin at Memorial Day, but over the past decade the start date has been getting earlier. The X-Men sequel will kick off the summer movie season this year when it launches May 3.

7. Default Re: deadCENTER Film Festival - 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby H
    June 7 - 11th? Good luck on them keeping any screens at the Harkins Bricktown theater at that time..
    This is the sixth year for deadCENTER Bobby and Harkins has made the screen commitment, so I don't anticipate a problem with that venue. Last year was the first time that the festival has had a major commercial theater available downtown and Harkins was delighted to have the opportunity to participate in this important OKC film event. They felt that it brought new viewers through their doors and that the festival elevated awareness of quality independent film in the OKC market.

Of course, the festival was excited to have this important venue to showcase some of the feature films. Last year, the Jewish Cinema hit, When Do We Eat was among the films shown at the Harkins and it has gone on to be distributed across the US as well as internationally. deadCENTER is still broadening its audience and sponsorship base and obviously has not reached the status of Austin's SXSW but it is well on its way to becoming an important annual US independent film showcase.

I hope you can take in some of the films this year. I'll put up the titles as they are scheduled.
    The Old Downtown Guy

Subvertia Guest

Thank You so much for this info! This is the first I've heard of it, and am looking forward to checking out some great films.

Hi Film Fans!

Sam Sims and I are actually heading-up the pr/marketing committee for deadCENTER. The programming committee met this weekend and finalized the films and schedules. I will post the final schedule later this week. Expect some fab films this year and please make plans to support this great Downtown event!

Kim

Harkins was delighted to have the opportunity to participate in this important OKC film event.
    And you wouldn't know it by the movies they show here, but the Harkins organization is very supportive of independant work. They have film festivals at their Arizona theaters all the time, all year. And I don't think they'll have any problem giving up one screen for a few showings, even if X-Men 3-6 came out at the same time.

Harkins did say they were going to bring more independant work to Oklahoma. This is actually the one thing have done to do so.

I have to disagree as well. This is the 6th year of the festival. Last year the festival just exploded with worldwide attention. As someone else already said, this festival is well on its way to becoming one of the big US festivals. I hope you all can plan on attending this year. I happened to catch the Flaming Lips documentary, "Fearless Freaks" last year. Well worth my time! I'm also in the film industry and see a huge potential for this festival!! No need to worry if this film festival will thrive during peak season, it already has proven itself!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby H
    June 7 - 11th? Good luck on them keeping any screens at the Harkins Bricktown theater at that time. Various "summer movie" would-be blockbusters are going to be flooding multiplex sites with many thousands of prints. Decent commercial screens will be hard to come by for any festival screenings during that time. No need to worry this festival working during peak season, it already has!!

It would be better for any film festival to choose a time more traditionally in the doldrums if they want to involve commercial theaters. January is usually slow in terms of new releases. Mid-August through early September usually stinks pretty bad as well. Much of April is usually slow every year. Most major film distributors try to unload a lot of junk movie product off their shelves ahead of the start of the "summer movie season." That "season" used to begin at Memorial Day, but over the past decade the start date has been getting earlier. The X-Men sequel will kick off the summer movie season this year when it launches May 3.

12. Default Re: deadCENTER Film Festival - 2006

Quote Originally Posted by BDP
    And you wouldn't know it by the movies they show here, but the Harkins organization is very supportive of independant work. They have film festivals at their Arizona theaters all the time, all year. And I don't think they'll have any problem giving up one screen for a few showings, even if X-Men 3-6 came out at the same time.

Harkins did say they were going to bring more independant work to Oklahoma. This is actually the one thing have done to do so.
    I think the problem is that AMC has for several years been the theatre that showed the more limited releases in this market, and ultimately it's up to the distributor. If the distributors only think OKC can support one screen for such and such film, they seem to like to put it at AMC because that's who these smaller companies have been dealing with. Every now and then Harkins does get one of the more limited releases.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

That's true, jbrown. But you would think that the Harkins company would have good relationships with some indies through their work with the AZ theaters. I think if they really wanted to bring something to OK, they could get it done. There is still a lot of stuff that does not come here.

In the end, though, their involvement with deadCENTER is appreciated. Hopefully, they will work as hard in promoting it as they do with their festivals in AZ. If you're curious, sign up for the Harkins e-newsletter. I did when they first came here and I get about one a month pumping some festival at one of their AZ locations. I have never gotten one single e-mail about anything in OK.

14. Default Re: deadCENTER Film Festival - 2006

Below is a review of the new Robert Altman film, A Prairie Home Companion, which kicks of this year's deadCENTER festival on Thursday evening June 8th with an Oklahoma City premier screening at the OKCMOA.

BY CHRIS HEWITT
    Movie Critic

AUSTIN, Texas — Moviegoers who attended the North American premiere of "A Prairie Home Companion" Friday night finally found out whether the movie is a comedy or a tragedy or a musical. The answer is: "Yes."

Based on the long-running radio show created by Garrison Keillor, "A Prairie Home Companion" is about the fictional final broadcast of the series. About half of the movie, which premiered at the South by Southwest Film Festival and will open in the Twin Cities in June, focuses on behind-the-scenes melodrama with Keillor (as himself), Meryl Streep, Lily Tomlin and Lindsay Lohan (as a singing family), Kevin Kline (as "Prairie Home" character Guy Noir), Tommy Lee Jones (as the financier who is closing down the show) and others. The other half of the movie — shot, as the closing credits say, "entirely on location in St. Paul, Minnesota" — is a relatively faithful, music-filled re-creation of what takes place on an episode of "Prairie Home."

"Meryl Streep's singing was fantastic. I loved it. When can I get the soundtrack?" asked Jill Street of Austin, Texas, the festival's host city, who will have to wait until the CD is released in late spring.

"It's funnier than I thought it would be," said Minnesota-based singer Prudence Johnson, who has a small role in the film and who timed a visit with family in Texas to coincide with the premiere. "The process of making it is so laborious, as you're working on it over the course of a month, that you forget how funny it will be when all the bits and pieces are put together."

"Prairie Home" was enthusiastically applauded at the sold-out screening at Austin's Paramount Theatre, where the line of ticket hopefuls wound around the block. But some moviegoers were still trying to put the bits and pieces together for themselves.

"I'm not sure if I liked it," said Kathy Marcus, also of Austin and a fan of the radio show and of the film's director, Robert Altman. "I'm still figuring it out, but I can tell you my favorite part was the dirty jokes song."

That song, "Bad Jokes," performed by "Prairie Home" characters Dusty (John C. Reilly) and Lefty (Woody Harrelson), got the biggest laughs of the evening. (Its risqué humor is also what earned the movie a PG-13 rating.) "Bad Jokes" was also a favorite of Dotty and Joe Scott, from New Canaan, Conn., frequent listeners of the radio show.

"We were definitely looking forward to this," said Dotty Scott, who wishes the movie focused more on the show itself. "I did think it was very moving when the sisters (Streep and Tomlin) were singing about their mother. But I love the tales Garrison Keillor weaves, and I would like to have seen more of the 'Prairie Home' people like the sound effects guy and Sue Scott (no relation)."

Johnson said she's not surprised fans of the radio show needed some time to get used to the movie. "I thought it was a blast, but some people might have a problem with it because it is 'Prairie Home' but it isn't," said Johnson, who was most jazzed by Kline's slapstick and by scenes featuring Jones, because he didn't report to filming until she was already done.

According to Johnson, the behind-the-scenes action in the film is nothing like what actually goes on. But she said the movie does capture the sometimes-chaotic process of putting on a show and "it has the feel of camaraderie, where everybody knows everybody else."

That sort of camaraderie was on the mind of Reilly, who introduced the film, explaining that Altman couldn't attend because he is directing a play in London. Referring to filming last summer at the Fitzgerald Theatre, Reilly said, "It really was this incredible month of love in St. Paul, honoring the great legacy Garrison Keillor created."
    The Old Downtown Guy

15. Default Re: deadCENTER Film Festival - 2006

Wow, that's a pretty major film to be showing at the festival.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

16. Default Re: deadCENTER Film Festival - 2006

Yeah, pretty cool. If you liked that Streep-Tomlin sketch at the Oscars, you'll get more of it here.
    Continue the Renaissance

17. Default Re: deadCENTER Film Festival - 2006

I saw When Do We Eat? Amazingly funny stuff. It should be going into national release about now.

18. Default Re: deadCENTER Film Festival - 2006

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84
    Wow, that's a pretty major film to be showing at the festival.
    I think we can thank Brian Hearn at OKCMOA for getting Prairie Home Companion to OKC prior (ok, it's only one day prior, but that's still prior) to it's official US release. The deal may have been done at SXSW in Austin where it was a major hit.
    The Old Downtown Guy

19. Default Re: deadCENTER Film Festival - 2006

Here is the schedule for this years festival.

Wednesday June 7th at Untitled Gallery Opening Night Frolic 7:30PM 3rd & Broadway Outdoor Screening at 9:00 PM "Stomp, Screem & Shout"

Thursday June 8th Harkins
    "Dressed To Kill, 5:00 PM
    Women Who Hunt"
    "When I Find Bin Laden" 7:00 PM

"Radient" 9:00 PM

OKCMOA Cocktails On The Roof Party 5:30 PM 6:00 PM

Special Feature 8:00 PM
    "Maxed Out"

IAO Shorts 1 7:45 PM 8:30 PM

"Ten Til Noon" 10:00 PM

Untitled Documentary Shorts 8:00 PM 8:30 PM

Makers Cigar After Party 11:00 PM
    Lounge

DAY/DATE VENUE EVENT REPORT EVENT
    LOCATION DESCRIPTION TIME TIME

Friday June 9th Stage Center Filmmaker Coffee 11:00 AM
    Panel 1:00 PM
    2:30 PM
    4:00PM
    Young Filmmaker Shorts 12:30 PM 1:00 PM

Shorts 2 3:00 PM

"Occupation 101" 4:30 PM 5:00 PM

Okie Shorts 7:30 PM

"Documentary Shorts" 9:00 PM

Library Kids Fest 9:30 AM 10:00 AM

"Music is My Life, Politics 1:30 PM
    My Mistress"

Harkins "Last Stop For Paul" 2:30 PM 3:00 PM

"Seawood" 5:00 PM

"Outside Sales 6:30 PM 7:00 PM

"Sex Machine" 9:00 PM

Untitled "Caught In The Paint" 6:30 PM 7:00 PM
    "Sandman's Garden"
    "The Third Parent" 9:00 PM
    "The Shape of Water"

Friday June 9th OKCMOA "Survelliance" N/A 5:30 PM

"Brothers of The Head" N/A 8:00 PM

IAO Shorts 3 7:30 PM 8:00 PM

Shorts 4 10:00 PM
    Friday Night Frolic 11:00 PM

Midnight Shorts Midnight

Saturday June 10th Stage Center Filmmaker Coffee N/A 11:00 AM
    Panel Workshop N/A 12:30 PM
    Panel Workshop N/A 3:00 PM

Shorts 1 12:30 PM 1:00 PM

"Last Stop For Paul" 3:00 PM

"The Third Parent" 4:30 PM 5:00 PM
    "The Shape of Water"
    "Inlaws And Outlaws" 7:00 PM

Library Kids Fest 10:30 AM 11:00 AM

"Music Is My Life, Politics 1:30 PM
    My Mistreess"

Harkins "Downtown Locals" 2:30 PM 3:00 PM

"Surveillance" 5:00 PM

"Rank" 6:30 PM 7:00 PM

"Outside Sales" 9:00 PM

Untitled Shorts 2 6:00 PM 6:30 PM

"Occupation 101" 8:30 PM

IAO Shorts 5 7:00 PM 7:30 PM

Saturday June 10th OKCMOA "Road Does Not End" N/A 5:30 PM
    "Art From The Streets"
    "Word Play" N/A 8:00 PM

Kerr Park Awards Presentation 8:30 PM 9:00 PM

"Awsome, I Shot That" 9:15 PM

Nona's Purple Bar After Party N/A 11:00 PM

Sunday June 11th OKCMOA Best of Fest N/A 2:00 PM
    The Old Downtown Guy

20. Default Re: deadCENTER Film Festival - 2006

Here is the schedule for this years festival.

Wednesday June 7th at Untitled Gallery Opening Night Frolic
    7:30PM
    3rd & Broadway Outdoor Screening at 9:00 PM "Stomp, Screem & Shout"

Women Who Hunt"

OKCMOA Cocktails On The Roof Party 6:00 PM

"Maxed Out"

Lounge

My Mistress"

"Sandman's Garden"
    "The Shape of Water"

Midnight Shorts Midnight

"The Shape of Water"

My Mistreess"

"Art From The Streets"

The Old Downtown Guy

21. Default Re: deadCENTER Film Festival - 2006

OK, let's try this again.

Wednesday June 7th
    Untitled Gallery Opening Night Frolic
    7:30PM
    3rd & Broadway Outdoor Screening9:00 PM "Stomp, Screem & Shout"

Women Who Hunt"

OKCMOA Cocktails On The Roof Party 6:00 PM

"Maxed Out"

Lounge

My Mistress"

"Sandman's Garden"
    "The Shape of Water"

Midnight Shorts Midnight

"The Shape of Water"

My Mistreess"

"Art From The Streets"

22. Default Re: deadCENTER Film Festival - 2006

OK, let's try this again.

2006 deadCENTER Film Festival Schedule

Wednesday June 7th

UNTITLED GALLERY
    7:30 PM Opening Night Fun

3rd & BROADWAY OUTDOOR SCREENING
    9:00 PM "Stomp, Scream & Shout"

This is a new event and location this year, the grass lawn between Broadway and the elevated railroad tracks just south of the historic Oklahoma Publishing and new YMCA buildings. Bring your blankets and lawn chairs for a great evening of film under the stars. Beverages will be available on site.

Thursday June 8th

HARKINS THEATER - BRICKTOWN
    5:00 PM "Dressed To Kill,Women Who Hunt"
    7:00 PM "When I Find Bin Laden"
    9:00 PM "Radient"

OKCMOA
    6:00 PM Cocktail Party On The Roof, Open Bar.
    ....... All Access Pass Holders Only

OKCMOA
    8:00 PM Special Feature "Maxed Out"

IAO
    .8:30 PM "Shorts 1"
    10:00 PM "Ten Til Noon"

UNTITLED GALLERY
    8:30PM "Documentary Shorts"

Makers Cigar Lounge After Party
    11:00 PM (All Access Pass Holders Only)

Friday June 9th

STAGE CENTER
    11:00 AM Filmmaker Coffee
    Panels
    1:00 PM 2:30 PM 4:00PM
    1:00PM "Young Filmmaker Shorts"
    3:00 PM "Shorts 2"
    5:00 PM "Occupation 101"
    7:30 PM "Okie Shorts"
    9:00 PM "Documentary Shorts"

LIBRARY
    10:00 AM "Kids Fest"
    .1:30 PM "Music is My Life, Politics My Mistress"

3:00 PM "Last Stop For Paul"
    5:00 PM "Seawood"
    7:00 PM "Outside Sales
    9:00 PM "Sex Machine"

UNTITLED GALLERY
    7:00 pm "Caught In The Paint"
    9:00 PM "Sandman's Garden"
    ....... "The Third Parent"
    ....... "The Shape of Water"

Friday June 9th

OKCMOA
    5:30 pm "Survelliance"
    8:00 PM "Brothers of The Head"

IAO
    .8:00 PM "Shorts 3"
    10:00 PM "Shorts 4"
    11:00 PM "Friday Night Frolic"
    Midnight "Midnight Shorts"

Saturday June 10th

STAGE CENTER
    11:00 AM Filmmaker Coffee
    12:30 PM Panel Workshop 12:30 PM
    .3:00 PM Panel Workshop

1:00 PM "Shorts 1"
    3:00 PM "Last Stop For Paul"
    5:00 PM "The Third Parent"
    7:00 PM "The Shape of Water"
    ....... "Inlaws And Outlaws"

LIBRARY
    11:00 AM "Kids Fest"
    .1:30 PM "Music Is My Life, Politics My Mistreess"

3:00 PM "Downtown Locals"
    5:00 PM "Surveillance"
    7:00 PM "Rank"
    9:00 PM "Outside Sales"

UNTITLED GALLERY
    6:30 PM "Shorts 2"
    8:30 PM "Occupation 101"

IAO
    7:30 pm "Shorts 5"

Sunday June 11th

OKCMOA
    2:00 PM Best of Fest

The best deal is the All Access Pass for $50. It provides admission to all of the films (show pass and get tickets to OKCMOA screenings at their box office) and gets you into all of the parties and special events. Individual screening tickets are $7. Great T-Shirts again this year with a new design, short and long sleeve. Passes, gear and other stuff can be purchased at The OKCMOA beginning Thursday evening.

See you at deadCENTER

23. Default Re: deadCENTER Film Festival - 2006

This is the last call for volunteers. A committee meeting and goodie bag stuffing will be held at the Downtown Library at 5:30 PM Today on the 4th Floor. It's OK if you're a little late; I'm going to be. Show up to get a chance to participate in a growing OKC annual event. Great films this year. Two free outdoor screenings. More parties and events. More film floks coming to town. Also some very exciting and attractive new designs presented on both long and short sleve tee shirts. An All Access Pass is only $50. Hell, I can't fill up the tank on my Volvo for $50. How can you not want to be in on this deal?
    The Old Downtown Guy

24. Default Re: deadCENTER Film Festival - 2006

I unfortunately will be out of town for the festival this year. I hope it goes great.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

25. Default Re: deadCENTER Film Festival - 2006

It all begins tomorrow evening at The Untitled Gallery about 7:30PM with a FREE outdoor screening of "Stomp, Scream & Shout" around 9:00 PM on the lawn at 3rd And EK Gaylord. Cold beverages available. BYOLC
    The Old Downtown Guy

Thread Information