Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 63 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111257 ... LastLast

Thread: Century Center

Default Re: Century Center

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I'm still hoping for a CVS / Walgreens in the CC.

Not glamorous, but it would fill a huge need and hopefully pave the the way for more national retail.

Would also be a nice compliment to Native Roots.

or a City Target.... i was in one in San Fran over a month ago... and it seemed like a CVS or Walgreens with just a bit more of what people might need. I was really impressed with the one i was in.

2. Default Re: Century Center

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    I'd be interested to know what location you're hearing, Urbanized...
    Sorry, it would be inappropriate for me to say.

Quote Originally Posted by OklahomaNick View Post
    I heard the same rumors about a Steakhouse going in there.
    Although a National Chain, not a local place.

I share the excitement about the place getting cleaned out!
    It will definitely breathe new life into that already dull block.
    Did they give you a specific national chain? You could argue that Mahogany is a national chain since they have 3 locations (Tulsa, Omaha, OKC) and had a 4th one in Kansas City.

Blog Entries

We lack strong upscale French/Italian concepts, really in the city at large, but particularly downtown. Bellini's and La Baguette are the best we do with either of those and neither one is near the urban core. I think La Baguette is the stronger of the two, and so would prefer an upscale Italian concept (with a comprehensive Italian wine selection, of course).
    While I agree with you, both La Baguette and Trattoria failed in the CBD recently. Granted, not necessarily for the reasons to justify not bringing them back...

Did they give you a specific national chain? You could argue that Mahogany is a national chain since they have 3 locations (Tulsa, Omaha, OKC) and had a 4th one in Kansas City.
    No it's a chain that is not in this market. So far it's not a signed contract but an agreement.

Wasn't there a Ruth's Chris rumor from a while back?

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    While I agree with you, both La Baguette and Trattoria failed in the CBD recently. Granted, not necessarily for the reasons to justify not bringing them back...
    La baguette was not allowed to stay as they were not in the Devon plans. And trattoria well I will just say they failed for a variety of reasons

Trattoria was successful up to a point, then things started to go downhill for them.

9. Default Re: Century Center

Ruth's Chris would be nice for national chain familiarity and 'bragging rights' as folks travel in-town, they also tend to do well with signage/life. I think they could do well for OKC getting other national 'upscale' options into downtown.

But Im not fond of their food - far too expensive for the lack of attention to quality. We need them nonetheless. ...
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

I imagine a Ruth's Chris or Fleming's. Either would be great and get great exposure downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by poe View Post
    I imagine a Ruth's Chris or Fleming's. Either would be great and get great exposure downtown.
    Although neither of those are better than Red Prime or Mahogany. I hate to think of a chain competing with an existing local restaurant of the quality of Red Prime.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    Although neither of those are better than Red Prime or Mahogany. I hate to think of a chain competing with an existing local restaurant of the quality of Red Prime.
    This is a case where I honestly think the chain may be the one that struggles. Red Prime will be fine if a chain, Mahogany, or both come downtown (though they may see a slightly less business). Micky Mantle's is the more likely place to get hit...but seeing as it's also a chain, I don't particularly care if they struggle. If both a chain and a Mahogany open downtown, I bet one of the 4 steakhouses will be closing up shop within 5 years. There simply isn't enough money to support 4 prime steakhouses in that small of an area.

Blog Entries

This is a case where I honestly think the chain may be the one that struggles. Red Prime will be fine if a chain, Mahogany, or both come downtown (though they may see a slightly less business). Micky Mantle's is the more likely place to get hit...but seeing as it's also a chain, I don't particularly care if they struggle. If both a chain and a Mahogany open downtown, I bet one of the 4 steakhouses will be closing up shop within 5 years. There simply isn't enough money to support 4 prime steakhouses in that small of an area.
    Mickey Mantle's isn't a chain.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    ... their food - far too expensive for the lack of attention to quality. We need them nonetheless. ...
    Well known brand or not, my brain can't reconcile these two notions. For me, the notion of desiring any top tier chain that does not deliver on its own hype is like wearing getting a misspelled tattoo just because some celebrity did.

Looks like i need to try Red Prime and Mahogany, as i am a huge fan of Ruth's Chris and Flemings. Just moved back to OKC recently and havent had a chance to hit up any of the high end steakhouses yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Mickey Mantle's isn't a chain.
    Home | Kirby's Steakhouse

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    Looks like i need to try Red Prime and Mahogany, as i am a huge fan of Ruth's Chris and Flemings. Just moved back to OKC recently and havent had a chance to hit up any of the high end steakhouses yet.
    Also try Ranch Steakhouse.

Really excited to see this building brought back to life. Any word on when some specific renderings might be released, other than the preliminary ones released in May?

Blog Entries

So they are changing to Kirby's? Or are you saying they have the same owner? Didn't know there was more than this one MMantles.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    So they are changing to Kirby's? Or are you saying they have the same owner? Didn't know there was more than this one MMantles.
    MM's was modeled after Kirby's, I imagine use the same products, general menu, and service practices.

For sure they are owned by the same people, which means the profits go to Texans.

21. Default Re: Century Center

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Well known brand or not, my brain can't reconcile these two notions. For me, the notion of desiring any top tier chain that does not deliver on its own hype is like wearing getting a misspelled tattoo just because some celebrity did.
    Kevin, I totally agree with your thoughts. But as OKC is now in the national spotlight and becoming a rising tier 2 city, we need more upscale 'names' to enliven the city and make it so visitors can have staples that they have/enjoy in their hometowns. It's kind of like big cities are known to have this and that - why doesn't OKC? One final thought is having a high end national will help locals up their game in order to stay relevant. ...

Totally pretentious I agree, but we need nonetheless; great for competition.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    Kevin, I totally agree with your thoughts. But as OKC is now in the national spotlight and becoming a rising tier 2 city, we need more upscale 'names' to enliven the city and make it so visitors can have staples that they have/enjoy in their hometowns. It's kind of like big cities are known to have this and that - why doesn't OKC? One final thought is having a high end national will help locals up their game in order to stay relevant. ...

Totally pretentious I agree, but we need nonetheless; great for competition.
    The chains would be the ones needing to up their game. Oklahoma and Texas do prime steakhouses really really well.

23. Default Re: Century Center

I say the locals, because the chains could just move on.

Think of it similar to the Walmart effect; the city wants it but locals need to up their game (not remain complacent on the previously captive market). We 'hardly' have any local steakhouses here in Seattle but we do have Morton's and Ruth's and some local chains because the local independents didn't step it up.

I know steak is an institution in OKC and should thrive but I hope they realize the effect the big boys will have (especially as more and more tourists visit what they know when they come to OKC). You want the local to be significantly better and innovative, not complacent as they likely are now with no national competition.

Blog Entries

McCormick and Schmicks would be a great addition for both name and menu. Not just a steak house. That would be a great location for it too.

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    I second The Ranch as well. I really haven't had a better steak anywhere than I've had at those three local steakhouses and I've been to pretty much all the big national steakhouse chains.

Thread Information