Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 63 FirstFirst ... 23456789101156 ... LastLast

Thread: Century Center

Default Re: Century Center

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Urban Walgreen's are great because you can buy liquor in almost every other state..
    Prepare yourself to be disappointed. There are only about 15 states that allow sales of spirits in grocery and drug stores. (You will not be buying spirits in Walgreens in your new home in Ohio either.) An additional 21 or so allow beer and wine sales (not just 3.2% beer)

I am happy to say that here in Florida I can stop in at my local Walgreens and buy wine. Hard liquor is not available though. You have to go to a liquor store for that - which is fine because the liquor stores here in Florida can also sell me a bottle opener and a cork screw.

Just FYI, I contacted the OKC broker who represents Walgreens in the market a couple of years ago and they told me that they felt they covered most the urban part of the city through their 23rd & Classen location.

Hopefully they'll reconsider with everything going on downtown, but having represented Walgreens (and lots of others like them) myself, they typically stick very closely to minimum population numbers in a 1-, 3- and 5-mile radius. As you can imagine, the 1-mile numbers from the CBD are beyond dismal, at least in terms of what they want to see.

There are exceptions, but typically the real estate people at these retail chains don't ever want to stick their necks out too far in case a store doesn't perform and they are called on the carpet for it.

Hopefully someday that intersection won't be Walgreens and CVS central.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Hopefully someday that intersection won't be Walgreens and CVS central.
    maybe they could share a bldg. on one corner, like kfc and t-bell sometimes do

Anything would be better than the empty shell that is there now. Some restaurants would be great, but there already quite a few down here, with more planned. I would love to see more retail and service put here. I look at this building from my office, and right now, it's just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    maybe they could share a bldg. on one corner, like kfc and t-bell sometimes do
    it helps when they are owned by the same company (KFC/Taco Bell), Walgreens & CVS are competitors. Maybe in a few years when they merge...

Perhaps this would be a good place for an independent pharmacy. No one who lives downtown wants to drive over to 23rd and Classen for prescription drugs. It's amazing how far away things seem when you're usually walking. The problem is, as downtown gets busier, it will start to appeal to a chain like CVS or Walgreens, and we all know how little customer loyalty there is for many independent businesses.

The Medicine Cabinet in First National is a great independent pharmacy. I don't know how late they stay open, but every time I've been in, they have been very friendly. It's a true pharmacy, though, and has little in the way of non medical goods.

Appears to be some cleaning-out action going on in the old mall area in past few days. Heard from some folks at hotel that "something" will be getting started soon. They had to be vague, but it does sound promising!

So, it's complete renovation am I correct? Are we looking at a mixed use space/mall or something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by skanaly View Post
    So, it's complete renovation am I correct? Are we looking at a mixed use space/mall or something like that?
    office retail and restaurant

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cotter View Post
    The Medicine Cabinet in First National is a great independent pharmacy. I don't know how late they stay open, but every time I've been in, they have been very friendly. It's a true pharmacy, though, and has little in the way of non medical goods.
    It's nice, but they're only open until 5:30 or 6 p.m. on weeknights only.

Hearing that the new owners of the Century Center are deep into negotiations with Mahogany Steakhouse for the southwest corner of this property.

It's a primo spot, facing both the Colcord and the Myriad Gardens. And very highly visible along Robinson.

No word on when the renovation may start... I know they are still talking to the City about adding a few floors of parking to the top.

If Mahogany does come in, it will be yet another great new restaurant for the CBD. Very recent and proposed are: Nebu, Vast, Flint, Cafe 7, Cool Greens, Kitchen No. 324, new AGE restaurant for the SandRidge Amenities building and hopefully Mahogany. Also, the new places in the arena.

Be a nice addition to Century revamp. Is there any word out there for progress toward an eatery on the MBG grounds?

16. Default Re: Century Center

Interesting. I've heard Mahogany rumors associated with a different location entirely, but still downtown.

It's interesting here lately - little by little, all of those old little store fronts inside the Century Mall have been getting cleaned out. Over the years, they've been used as places to store junk or party decorations.
    They seem to be moving at a good pace - hopefully a good sign that new things are on the way. Would love to see a 24-hour diner concept, but I suppose we don't have the customer base to support it. Maybe some day.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Hearing that the new owners of the Century Center are deep into negotiations with Mahogany Steakhouse for the southwest corner of this property.

It's a primo spot, facing both the Colcord and the Myriad Gardens. And very highly visible along Robinson.

No word on when the renovation may start... I know they are still talking to the City about adding a few floors of parking to the top.

If Mahogany does come in, it will be yet another great new restaurant for the CBD. Very recent and proposed are: Nebu, Vast, Flint, Cafe 7, Cool Greens, Kitchen No. 324, new AGE restaurant for the SandRidge Amenities building and hopefully Mahogany. Also, the new places in the arena.
    I heard from a reliable source that a big announcement on this development will come soon, possibly even before Christmas. I was told 2 levels will be added to the garage, or roughly 400 spots. The exciting news is it is definitly moving forward and will soon start making it's much needed transformation.

I'd be interested to know what location you're hearing, Urbanized. As this is the most East and possibly the most North I imagine Mahogany going. I mean, much more in either direction and they might as well share a building with RED or Mickey Mantle's.

I really don't know how I feel about a Mahogany going in here. Would prefer a new, non-steakhouse concept much more. I do think it is a *prime* spot for an upscale restaurant though, and preferably one with a stellar patio.

We lack strong upscale French/Italian concepts, really in the city at large, but particularly downtown. Bellini's and La Baguette are the best we do with either of those and neither one is near the urban core. I think La Baguette is the stronger of the two, and so would prefer an upscale Italian concept (with a comprehensive Italian wine selection, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    We lack strong upscale French/Italian concepts, really in the city at large, but particularly downtown. Bellini's and La Baguette are the best we do with either of those and neither one is near the urban core. I think La Baguette is the stronger of the two, and so would prefer an upscale Italian concept (with a comprehensive Italian wine selection, of course).
    How about Brio?

Brio Tuscan Grille- Italian food inspired by Tuscany

Quote Originally Posted by LuccaBrasi View Post
    I heard from a reliable source that a big announcement on this development will come soon, possibly even before Christmas. I was told 2 levels will be added to the garage, or roughly 400 spots. The exciting news is it is definitly moving forward and will soon start making it's much needed transformation.
    Thanks, Luca. You always provide great info.

The owners of the Century Center have yet to submit any design plans, which is always the first step.

Hopefully we'll see something soon.

I heard the same rumors about a Steakhouse going in there.
    Although a National Chain, not a local place.

I share the excitement about the place getting cleaned out!
    It will definitely breathe new life into that already dull block.

It would be great if an upscale steakhouse would lure in some upscale retail to a redeveloped Century Center.

I'm still hoping for a CVS / Walgreens in the CC.

Not glamorous, but it would fill a huge need and hopefully pave the the way for more national retail.

Would also be a nice compliment to Native Roots.

Gosh, I would LOVE a CVS or Walgreens here in downtown.
    However I just don't think it will happen. They are very tough to court.
    The primary thing they both look at is rooftops, meaning how many households.
    The secondary thing they look at is actual population.
    Sadly we have neither downtown.

Thread Information