Widgets Magazine

Thread: Expand the Myriad Gardens

Patrick Guest

Default Expand the Myriad Gardens

I think once I-40 is relocated, we need to seriously consider purchasing Bob Howard Ford, and expand the Myriad Gardens southward. I'd love to see a larger park downtown, more in line with central park in New York. Maybe even have another greenhouse.....

The Pei plan originally called for 2 greenhouses, 1 with tropical plants and 1 with desert/arid plants. Let's finish the plan.

Default Re: Expand the Myriad Gardens

Good thoughts.

Personally, I think the River has much more potential to be a larger central civic area, like a central park. It's much more of a blank slate and I think it could be turned into a park area unrivaled in the region and, with some creativity, actually include elements completely new to the region, or at least similar things packaged in a new way.

With it's proximity to the convention facilities, I'd like to see the auto dealer ear marked for a real convention hotel one day. Then again, when I-40 moves we could have both an expanded downtown park and a real convention hotel to complete the complex.

3. Default Re: Expand the Myriad Gardens

I personally would love to see the Myriad Gardens being connected ny a series of greenbelt parks, block by block, continuing south toward the river. Each park will offer something different. Beginning with the botanical gardens downtown, and then the next park will offer flower gardens and evergreens centered by a large fountain. The next will offer a dog park, with wading pools and several acres dedicated to animal-related activities, such as frizbie tossing and outdoor dog shows. The fourth park will offer somewhat of a nature walk, showcasing central Oklahoma's natural terrain, similar to Martin Park, but built for the urban residents of downtown. A fifth park will offer a natural maze for area residents to enjoy, with a large fountain in the center of the park. The sixth park will be dedicated to athletics, mainly soccer, and the final park will connect the greenbelt to the Oklahoma River, where jogging trails, ballfields and the skate park.

The greenbelt will be fronted by midrise residential next to a glittering new office tower, 60 stories tall. Let's be wise about our new downtown space.
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

4. Default Re: Expand the Myriad Gardens

One more idea to add... the canal. Expand the canal toward the southwest, and have a branch winding south toward the new greenbelt connecting many of the new stops downtown. Instead of running the canal along Reno (which really wouldn't work), run the canal along the new downtown boulevard, connecting the canal to the Ford Center. Then these water taxis will actually serve a purpose other than 45 minute narrated tours.
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

5. Default Re: Expand the Myriad Gardens

I think we will see a greenspace connecting downtown to the river. Mayor Cornett even mentioned it in his "take a look at 2016" section of his State of the City address:

"Have we used the I-40 relocation to create a large downtown green space?"

He's not talking about the Oklahoma River park. He wouldn't mention it if it wasn't going to happen. It's even included in Studio Architecture's river master plan.

I'm not sure if it will be associated with the MBG, but it should be planned as well.
    Continue the Renaissance

Patrick Guest

With the way the weather patterns occur in Oklahoma, it's likely to be a brown space, not a green space. lol!

7. Default Re: Expand the Myriad Gardens

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick
    The Pei plan originally called for 2 greenhouses, 1 with tropical plants and 1 with desert/arid plants. Let's finish the plan.
    Where was the 2nd bridge supposed to be located?
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Quote Originally Posted by okcpulse
    I personally would love to see the Myriad Gardens being connected ny a series of greenbelt parks, block by block, continuing south toward the river. Each park will offer something different.
    Quote Originally Posted by okcpulse
    The greenbelt will be fronted by midrise residential next to a glittering new office tower, 60 stories tall. Let's be wise about our new downtown space.
    I love, LOVE this idea! This would be a great addition to the downtown area and help our city stand out even more!

I was thinking of the Myriad Gardens expanding towards the avenue that will be built where the crosstown exists right now. Some nice sulpture on one of the corners. As mentioned above, a 60+ story multi-use skyscraper (Myriad Tower maybe?) that is ecologically/energy friendly which would surround the park nearby. How about a small art gallery inside the new greenspace.

Thread Information